It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3-2-1 with two weeks off and you know who on the way
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:49 pm 

Seems like a good spot to be in after that Sunday night Raven game.

Bye week comes at a nice time if he does report. Hopefully we turn it into a positive. Maybe put them both on field at same time. Two headed Monster at RB

Browns up next at home with rookie qb up next.

I will take it

Post subject: Re: 3-2-1 with two weeks off and you know who on the way
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:47 pm 

Are you referring to Eli Rogers?? :roll:

I kid, I kid, but I could really care less about Bell coming back. If it was me I still start Conner and use Bell to spell him. Still have Conner get say, 70% of the snaps and Bell gets 30%.

My biggest issue with Bell was the lack of TDs. I still argue that a featured RB in this offense should be scoring 20 TDs a season, like clockwork.

Conner in 6 games has 7 TDs, that is on pace for almost 19 TDs. Bell's career high is just 11 TDs, and he set his career high for rushing TDs with 9 last season in 15 games.

Bell had 4 100 yard rushing games last season in 15 games. Conner has 3 100 yards games in 6 games this season. The most 100 yard games in a season for Bell is just 6.

Again, I wonder what Conner could do over an entire season as a starter. 2,000 all purpose yards? Sure, why not? 70-75 catches? Sure. 20 TDs? Yeah, that looks entirely possible. Have 6, 7, 8 100 yard games? Probably, as I said he already has 3 such games. He just had two more 20+ yard runs in this game against Cincy, that gives him 5 20+ yard runs in just 6 games. I will give you some perspective here, Bell's career high for 20+ yard runs came in 2014 with 8 such runs. How many could Conner end up with if he played the entire season as the starter? 10 runs over 20+ yards? 12? 15? Conner has 8 plays over 20+ yards including those for catches. Bell's career high was 18 combined 20+ yard plays in 2014. Conner is on pace for 21. Conner is matching or bettering the production that Bell had at his absolute prime before the knee injuries.

Everyone seems to agree that Bell is so much better than Conner and yet why is Conner slowly building up momentum and doing things that Bell never could? And by that I mean scoring TDs and getting huge splash plays.

I really am still hoping for a team to trade for Bell, I would really like to see what Conner can do over the entire season. I also think that Bell coming back will do nothing but generate confusion and discontent. The O-line, the TEs and Nix are beginning to build a rapport with Conner and Bell and his patient 'style' doesn't really mesh with that. I also think that Bell is going to be out of shape, out of sync and all in all a needless distraction.

Last edited by Scunge on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:48 pm 

That's another pivotal season match-up because of the early season slopfest.

If PIT does make the playoffs, I'd be inclined to pay Bell if for no other reason than depth. But given that's unknown, I think I would still trade him, because who knows if he pulls that "fake injury" crap.

And if he doesn't show-up until before the trade deadline, then I rescind the tag.

Having watched Conner for 6 games, I'm not saying he's better than Bell but I'm not sure how much better this team is with Bell instead. Certainly nowhere near $855k per game better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:52 pm 

The bungals could go down another one next week as they face the chefs...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:55 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
The bungals could go down another one next week as they face the chefs...

Yeah, KC doesn't usually start sucking until Wk9 or Wk10.

CIN is a mediocre team. Sorry, Ben, but the offense looks like one the QB runs without an OC. But, marginally better than with Haley.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:06 pm 

Kodiak, here is my take on Conner and Bell.

Yeah, that 2014 Bell was better than Conner. But the 2018 Bell? After the injuries to his knees? After the wear and tear on his body? After defenses have years of film study on how to play him? No, I don't agree that the 2018 Bell is better than Conner.

And just like the Bell that got better and better from his rookie year of 2013 into 2014, it sure seems like Conner is doing the exact same thing. With each game he seems to be getting better and better, there are little nuances that he is picking up, and all of that is so natural to me. It takes time to become a top tier RB, it does not happen overnight, it even took Bell time to do it. Bell did average 3.5 yards per carry his first season as a starter. I think people forget that.

I keep going back to that, this is Conner's rookie year for the most part. His first season as a starter, as the man, and look at how well he is playing already. How much better is he going to be if he continues to play this season and then has an offseason and training camp to get better and more comfortable? What is he going to look like and perform like in 2019?

If I am the Steelers do I want to mess up his development by just benching him and making Bell the starter again? Knowing that Bell will most likely be gone for 2019? Why sabotage Conner, your feature back for 2019, when he is performing just fine right now in 2018??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:09 pm 

Ben. Lololol

https://twitter.com/FanDuel/status/1051 ... 52032?s=20

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:11 pm 

Some stats put up today from depot.
Quote:
By Alex Kozora Posted on October 14, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Weird, wacky game. But a good one in the end. Let’s try to get equally weird.

– Let’s start with how good James Conner has been. Make it back-to-back weeks he’s carried the ball at least 15 times, average 5+ YPC and scored two rushing touchdowns.

Last Steeler to accomplish that in back-to-back weeks? Jerome Bettis on November 3rd and 10th in 1996.

– With 46 attempts today, Ben Roethlisberger is on pace for 696 this season. That would shatter his career high of 608, set in 2014, and be second in NFL history, trailing only Matthew Stafford’s 727.

– Today marks JuJu Smith-Schuster’s 7th career 100 yard receiving game. That’s an NFL record for a player before he’s turned 22. He’s actually two games ahead of second place, Keenan Allen and Amari Cooper, and has three more than Randy Moss.

– This is the first such “walk off” TD for Pittsburgh since at least 1994, as far back the data goes. A 30+ yard score with less than 30 seconds left, trailing, to win the game. Mike Wallace did catch a final play TD against Green Bay years ago, though. But that was 19 yards out.

– Xavier Grimble’s 35 yards receiving are the most he’s had in a game since his final year at USC, November 23rd 2013. That’s nearly five years ago. He put up 46 in a win over Colorado.

– Roethliberger caught the second pass of his career. He caught a pass for -7 yards back in 2008. Today’s ricochet went for a loss of just one.

– Javon Hargrave’s three sacks this season is the most by a Steelers’ nose tackle since Joel Steed had that many in 1999. Casey Hampton’s career high was 2.5.

– Roethlisberger has been sacked just once over the last three games, 122 pass attempts. It’s the second best stretch of his career, only bested by his 123 attempts from Week 10-12 in 2013.

– Nine more penalties for the Steelers today, giving them 58 on the season. That’s a franchise record through six games, beating out the 57 they racked up in 2014.

– Through the first month of the year, the Steelers converted just 30.6% (15/49) of their third downs.

The last two weeks, both wins? 65.4% (17/26). Critical difference.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:18 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Yeah, that 2014 Bell was better than Conner. But the 2018 Bell?

I mostly agree. Conner is running behind a better OL than Bell had in 2014.

But while Bell may be more consistent, and have better vision, Conner is giving us splash plays Bell just doesn't have the burst for. Also, Conner and the offense are excelling with him playing a traditional RB receiving roll. Maybe they do get too cute with Bell who, honestly, is not a tough cover for most decent LBers.

Conner is obviously the future. The [almost] million dollar question if you're Colbert is if Bell is worth the money as a backup/depth or 1-2 punch. Even if we make the playoffs, this is not a championship defense. Save Bell's money and use it for some defensive help this offseason.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

Would be nice to see the Steelers Implement a 2 back running game. Conner/Bell sharing snaps [of course once Bell returns] should be quite the exciting experience. Both are change of pace. Hopefully the Steelers do it. Bell will be satisfied with less carries and Conner still gets his reps. Win, Win plus SBI. IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:54 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Conner is running behind a better OL than Bell had in 2014.

I have heard more than one person say this, that Conner has a better O-line, that what he is doing is also because of having a full training camp and preseason. Just so many people giving these excuses to why Conner is playing well compared to Bell last season or for whatever reason.

I don't know. That 2014 season had the same O-line as now with the exception of Kelvin Beachum being the starter at LT instead of Big Al. Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro and Gilbert were all 4 years younger. And is Big Al really that much better than Beachum as a run blocker? I don't think that he is.

The TEs we had in 2014, Miller and Matt Spaeth. The fullback we had in Will Johnson at that time, he was able to do things that Nix could not in terms of getting out to block on outside runs, he was a very fast fullback. I remember many long runs by Bell where DeCastro was pulling and Will Johnson was getting out and into the second level and just eliminating a linebacker or a safety for Bell.

The trio of Miller/Spaeth/Johnson weren't they better blockers than the trio of McDonald/Jesse James and Rosie Nix? James is really average as a blocker, more of a get in the way type. Nix is a capable blocker but has trouble with speed and quickness, he had a really bad game against the Ravens. McDonald is a very good/great blocker. I actually give the edge to that 2014 group in terms of being better blockers.

Now some might say, hey, some of those starters on the O-line missed games to injury in 2014. Yeah? And how is that different than this year so far? Foster, DeCastro, Gilbert have all missed time this year too. Again, these guys are 4 years older and are probably not the same run blockers they were in 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:45 am 

It just baffles me how hard it is for some people to stop drinking Bell's koolaid.

Bell isn't better than JC. That is PRESENT tense. Bell isn't even on the field. And if/when he returns for us this season, there's no guarantee he'll even be second string worthy. He's an unknown commodity at this point. If he comes back on current target and suits up in 4 weeks, my bet is that he's mediocre at best, if effective at all. Mentally, he's already checked out this season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:03 am 

7forSteel wrote:
It just baffles me how hard it is for some people to stop drinking Bell's koolaid.

Bell isn't better than JC. That is PRESENT tense. Bell isn't even on the field. And if/when he returns for us this season, there's no guarantee he'll even be second string worthy. He's an unknown commodity at this point. If he comes back on current target and suits up in 4 weeks, my bet is that he's mediocre at best, if effective at all. Mentally, he's already checked out this season.

Santa Claus?

We have evidence of how long it will take for Bell to get up to speed, last year.

If anyone can handle this crap sandwich, I think Tomlin can. He seems to be an expert at assuaging big egos and keeping emotions in check.

I have now come full circle and think Bell’s agent is foolish to let him return. I think this is going to blow-up Bell’s value spectacularly in the wrong direction; down. Might as well just hold out the whole year and get the true FA contract now and let teams make the gamble. They are now going to have to negotiate a PR land-mine and he will probably need to bitch and moan to get on the field with the way Connor is playing.

Bell is legitimately number 2 RB until injury. How will you parlay that into a Gurley type contract? ROTFLMAO

Grab a popcorn!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:38 pm 

3-2-1... BLAST OFF!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
7forSteel wrote:

Santa Claus?

We have evidence of how long it will take for Bell to get up to speed, last year.

If anyone can handle this crap sandwich, I think Tomlin can. He seems to be an expert at assuaging big egos and keeping emotions in check.

I have now come full circle and think Bell’s agent is foolish to let him return. I think this is going to blow-up Bell’s value spectacularly in the wrong direction; down. Might as well just hold out the whole year and get the true FA contract now and let teams make the gamble. They are now going to have to negotiate a PR land-mine and he will probably need to bitch and moan to get on the field with the way Connor is playing.

Bell is legitimately number 2 RB until injury. How will you parlay that into a Gurley type contract? ROTFLMAO

Grab a popcorn!

Bell getting paid weekly to stand on the sideline and not play is best case scenario for him and his agent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:23 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Are you referring to Eli Rogers?? :roll:

I thought it was Olasunkanmi Adeniyi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 pm 

A team cancer is on the way?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Conner is running behind a better OL than Bell had in 2014.

I have heard more than one person say this, that Conner has a better O-line, that what he is doing is also because of having a full training camp and preseason. Just so many people giving these excuses to why Conner is playing well compared to Bell last season or for whatever reason.

I don't know. That 2014 season had the same O-line as now with the exception of Kelvin Beachum being the starter at LT instead of Big Al. Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro and Gilbert were all 4 years younger. And is Big Al really that much better than Beachum as a run blocker? I don't think that he is.

The TEs we had in 2014, Miller and Matt Spaeth. The fullback we had in Will Johnson at that time, he was able to do things that Nix could not in terms of getting out to block on outside runs, he was a very fast fullback. I remember many long runs by Bell where DeCastro was pulling and Will Johnson was getting out and into the second level and just eliminating a linebacker or a safety for Bell.

The trio of Miller/Spaeth/Johnson weren't they better blockers than the trio of McDonald/Jesse James and Rosie Nix? James is really average as a blocker, more of a get in the way type. Nix is a capable blocker but has trouble with speed and quickness, he had a really bad game against the Ravens. McDonald is a very good/great blocker. I actually give the edge to that 2014 group in terms of being better blockers.

Now some might say, hey, some of those starters on the O-line missed games to injury in 2014. Yeah? And how is that different than this year so far? Foster, DeCastro, Gilbert have all missed time this year too. Again, these guys are 4 years older and are probably not the same run blockers they were in 2014.

Conner is a one cut runner which is easier for the Oline to block for. JC does not have the vision that Bell has(had?) but he is here and performing every bit as well as Bell ever has.

Should have taken the 13.5M Le'veon.