It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can we return to the 10 posts per page format?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am 

I know some here prefer the ongoing format of 100 posts per page or whatever it is. I would appreciate it greatly if we could return to the 10 posts per page format for threads. Instead of having to scroll for 50 posts and losing your train of thought and place along the way. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Can we return to the 10 posts per page format?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:05 am 

Agree. I'm middle-aged and fear change.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:25 am 

Still Lit wrote:

well, I don't fear change - I just know when the change is worse than the previous version, as it is in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:06 am 

I 2nd this

AB Words of Wisdom: "...this be my first meeting with Mr Rooney ever as Antonio Brown the man not AB84 the player in locker! never been to my house; there house; like what AM I Really doing! Less then what you bargain for more than real #Truth"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:42 am 

Still Lit wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:44 am 

If we're voting, I vote for the "more posts per page" format.

I just hit the back button and refresh...takes me right back to where I was. Also, when it comes time to do the board draft, the thing I need to copy and paste while on my smartphone while driving down the highway will be on the same page as the new post. Life is good.

Adapt. Adopt. Change.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am 

Furthermore, the entire board here is antiquated. Each OP should be a page/article, then replies should be sorted into their own threads... like, if you are replying to a follow-up post, it gets nested under the follow-up post.

IOW, the way every other message board/fan site works.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:48 am 

I vote for the old format. 10 per page.

The new format (25 per page) is ok, but I like 10 better. It creates more pages per post and I like that better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Furthermore, the entire board here is antiquated. Each OP should be a page/article, then replies should be sorted into their own threads... like, if you are replying to a follow-up post, it gets nested under the follow-up post.

This is the real issue.

And that's not a knock on the admins, I know time and money are limited resources.

But I'd freaking love to move to the software used by this Bengals board: https://forum.go-bengals.com/. Content aside, it's one of the best forums software packages I've seen. Looks and feels modern, and has a ton of little features that make it a million times easier to use.

I'd certainly volunteer to assist a move however I could. I'm a software engineer and I'm sure I could help out in some way. Or even if it's throwing a few bucks at it, I could do that too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm 

Personal preference but I like the format of Steelerfury better than that Bengals board. I like how all the posts here are stacked, and you can scan the titles.

The only changes I would make would be going back to the 10 post format.

And I would create upvotes and downvote options for each and every comment.

Last edited by Stallworth16 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:49 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:59 pm 

I am new here but this site loads fast like its on a dedicated server yet I dont see soliciting donation request.
Who pays for all this? Kudos to who you are because I think it has some of the best steeler talk and contributors on the net.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:14 pm 

Joey's Pitbull wrote:
I am new here but this site loads fast like its on a dedicated server yet I dont see soliciting donation request.
Who pays for all this? Kudos to who you are because I think it has some of the best steeler talk and contributors on the net.

An old time poster known by many aliases bankrolls this place

He’s known by many diff names but most well known for his STD personna

Made a fortune in Shoo Fly pies....franchised them and cashed out. Now just spends his days as a philanthropist and local historian.

Where x = violent men playing on blades of grass
Where y = efficiency factor
Where z = because Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:19 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

I just hit the back button and refresh...takes me right back to where I was. Also, when it comes time to do the board draft, the thing I need to copy and paste while on my smartphone while driving down the highway will be on the same page as the new post. Life is good.

Adapt. Adopt. Change. Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:31 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Adapt. Adopt. Change. Wreck

Yeah, you keep on running it 50 times per game and playing bump and run coverage/kill the QB/headshots to the crossing WRs and see how that works out for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:18 pm 

:lol:

Keep it the same then.... :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

This is the real issue.

And that's not a knock on the admins, I know time and money are limited resources.

But I'd freaking love to move to the software used by this Bengals board: https://forum.go-bengals.com/. Content aside, it's one of the best forums software packages I've seen. Looks and feels modern, and has a ton of little features that make it a million times easier to use.

I'd certainly volunteer to assist a move however I could. I'm a software engineer and I'm sure I could help out in some way. Or even if it's throwing a few bucks at it, I could do that too.

I think the real issue is that this is open source software and no software gurus are keeping it up to date. If the pages per post has caused requests for better days, putting in the upgrades that are available for the phpBB open source software may cause a riot!

I think the board is just lacking “styles” among the bell’s and whistles available.

I’d gladly donate and do appreciate the ad free format.

I am the villain :) that started the increase in the pages per post and I like the increase. It is iPhone friendlier. It was actually Lipps that got me thinking about it when I was bitching about my first world problem of trying to stick my cursor in between the brackets of YouTube or img or url, while driving down the road typing too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:29 pm 

Joey's Pitbull wrote:

Every so often the admins make a post asking for voluntary donations. Feel free to donate the next time such a post appears.

And I agree about the fast loading. Sometimes someone will link to a thread on the Pats message board, and it takes my antiquated laptop FOREVER to load their pages what with all the ads and bells and whistles. I like the elegant simplicity of this place, I appreciate how there aren't ads in my face all the time here. I don't need gimics. Give me a 90's-era HTML page. I just want to see the content.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I am the villain :) that started the increase in the pages per post and I like the increase.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:36 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Joey's Pitbull wrote:

Every so often the admins make a post asking for voluntary donations. Feel free to donate the next time such a post appears.

And I agree about the fast loading. Sometimes someone will link to a thread on the Pats message board, and it takes my antiquated laptop FOREVER to load their pages what with all the ads and bells and whistles. I like the elegant simplicity of this place, I appreciate how there aren't ads in my face all the time here. I don't need gimics. Give me a 90's-era HTML page. I just want to see the content.

A time machine to go back and kill Hitler, and a swat team to go back and shoot the SOBs dead that created the pop-up, pop-over, the scroll over add, the auto play video, and of course the Amazon Free Spin ad! The bare HTML page is a site to behold!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:30 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:
Joey's Pitbull wrote:

A time machine to go back and kill Hitler, and a swat team to go back and shoot the SOBs dead that created the pop-up, pop-over, the scroll over add, the auto play video, and of course the Amazon Free Spin ad! The bare HTML page is a site to behold!

OMG yes. I cannot STAND it when I go to a site and a video starts playing automatically. I also hate waiting for a page to load when I'm not waiting for actual content but for ads to load. :evil:

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

Last edited by Poltargyst on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:31 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I am the villain :) that started the increase in the pages per post and I like the increase.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

OMG yes. I cannot STAND it when I go to a site and a video starts playing automatically. I also hate waiting for a page to load when I'm not waiting for actual content but for ads to load. :evil:

There is nothing worse than ads that are put inline with the rest of the page content and take a while to load. Basically what happens is you start reading your page, get a paragraph in, and then all of a sudden the ads finish loading and the content is shoved down off the screen. Then, even worse, the ad will show for a few seconds, then collapse back to a thumbnail size, thrusting the content back up. Nothing like fucking trying to read a moving target.

Or videos that load ads a couple seconds in. Guess what? Sitting through a 15 second ad to watch a 20 second video isn't worth my time, so I no longer even attempt to watch videos on sites that I know are going to load ads.

(And yeah, yeah, Ad-Block. I know. Unfortunately, Ad Block often gets in the way of the programming I do, so I usually have it turned off).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:04 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

There is nothing worse than ads that are put inline with the rest of the page content and take a while to load. Basically what happens is you start reading your page, get a paragraph in, and then all of a sudden the ads finish loading and the content is shoved down off the screen. Then, even worse, the ad will show for a few seconds, then collapse back to a thumbnail size, thrusting the content back up. Nothing like fucking trying to read a moving target.

Or videos that load ads a couple seconds in. Guess what? Sitting through a 15 second ad to watch a 20 second video isn't worth my time, so I no longer even attempt to watch videos on sites that I know are going to load ads.

(And yeah, yeah, Ad-Block. I know. Unfortunately, Ad Block often gets in the way of the programming I do, so I usually have it turned off).
If everyone hates the pop up, auto play, and adverts that interrupt content, why do they exist? Is it a necessary evil? I remember when auto play websites were ostracized and never to be linked. Nowadays it's standard operating procedure. It seems the consuming public will accept whatever the inconvenience as long as they get free content. But it isn't really free, because all it does is hinder and slow down productivity and efficiency. Advertising the handbrake of society, yet we are being told advertising is informative. If anything it's a slow diet of brainwashing one into consumerism. This is why I get a laugh from those that think free markets and/ or capitalism is streamlined and efficient. Horseshit. The advertising industry is bigger than some nations' developed economies, and for what? So that you can decide between pepsi and coke? Lexus or GM? Budweiser or Coors? But we've been culturally conditioned to accept this, so why complain? We bought it. Now we have buyers remorse?

Having said that, it'd be nice if the forum had the same kind of threads as others, where comments are nested and you can upvote. I also like the fact that this forum loads easily, even with a crappy connection. Can't say the same about most of the internet. But like I always say : Where there's a will there's a way. All it takes is time, energy, and money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 pm 

I vote for politics, hard porn, and cyber bullying