It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I don’t like football anymore
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:49 am 

I can’t believe this has happened. There was a time not long ago when I loved football more than life itself. Thats gone now. The rule changes have slowly sapped the love and joy away.

Now you can’t even sack the quarterback. The sack is the most exciting play in the game. The league has made a huge mistake in a cascade of massive mistakes.

Why bother with this bullshit anymore when you can’t even rush the quarterback?

I will play out this season and then I am done.

Bye Felicia.

Post subject: Re: I don’t like football anymore
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:57 am 

I'm seeing this a lot on this board. I'm still watching the Steelers and the other games throughout the week, but the appeal is fading for many.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:38 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
I'm seeing this a lot on this board. I'm still watching the Steelers and the other games throughout the week, but the appeal is fading for many.

If the Steelers are not on I just use red zone channel and maybe tune into one game for various reasons including fantasy football or just a good match up but it is just on in the back ground as I do other menial tasks (internet). I used to watch any game and try to see particular match ups or see what the lines were doing to each other or how a young player was doing or a vet. The game is painful to watch now. A good portion of games rely on refs trying interpret so many judgement call fouls about intent or percentage of body weight and it is now a crazy fact that most people know all the refs and some of the crew. Goodell has butchered the game. I miss Tag's so much more know than I did when Harrison was knocking out the entire Browns roster. The last 9 or 10 years have been a real negative development in the game.

It seems to want to slowly move into the realm of boxing and that is a disaster.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:03 am 

I admit when they tweak the product like this it becomes frustrating but I can never stop watching football.

Even when I will flip back and forth on the payoff baseball game and a college football games tonight...to me the sport is so much more engaging.

Watching the rookie RB for the Giants have people fall off of him and then he will leap over someone who is an elite athlete himself.

The commercials two years was so bad that I ended up watching less because it messed with the intensity as a team is in the redzone.

Good luck and hope you find something worth your time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:21 am 

Sounds like there's people here that should thank the NFL for changing its rules, for creating an opportunity to reassess and re-order their priorities in life.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:27 am 

Miter Saw wrote:
Sounds like there's people here that should thank the NFL for changing its rules, for creating an opportunity to reassess and re-order their priorities in life.

I have a friend who comes from a long line of relatives from Ohio State and I never seen anything like it..
He easily spends about $15K a year for memorabilia from Ohio State and the Gmen.
Everything 247 365 is around the sport....family functions, etc...he was showing me the gloves 12 Gage wore when he beat Bama.
Original Gmem turf where Burt Jones knocked out Montana.
He paid $3K to have dinner with Eli and Victor Cruz in some autograph show.
His basement is literally a shrine with old Giant stadium seating...autographed helmets that go around the room.
He could talk hours about the 4-5 star recruits visiting Ohio State.

My point is there is infatuation but this is like a cult following of some type. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:35 am 

It seems to me the way the NFL is playing this out they're causing their own demise. Tomlin became the face of I'm sure many coaches that are fed up with the inherently difficult challenges of coaching/playing this game anymore. Costing him $25K as a result. I hope other coaches and players step forward in this as a means to preserve what is left of the sport. Or they can just let it go collect their money and move on I suppose.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:59 pm 

It's not just the safety issues, it's the officiating, the too many stoppages, reviews, penalties, that's what it is for me, is there any other sport where the referees are as well known as the players?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:27 pm 

It will be alright everybody.

This happens from time to time. Our expectations are still on last year’s rules, as well as the players’, hell probably even the officials’. This is like the year after the Hines Ward rule changes. It was awful. James Harrison and all the fans, me included, were whining up a storm about hard hits and the injustice of it all when the flags flew and the fines were sent forth.

The line had to drawn, and then the following year everyone knew what to expect and you could yell at the TV to help the refs make the call...and they did for the most part.

Same thing going on with the QB. As a matter of fact, it was like this when they started the “in the grasp” rule several years ago.

The baseline has been reset, and it is still being shaken out, and will probably be clear cut for all come the end of November. It is always darkest before the dawn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 pm 

Two things are happening.

First, the game is more tedious, political and bureaucratic, and is no longer an escape from the day to day shit in most people's lives. ESPN and fantasy bullshit has wrecked the experience. College football is far more enjoyable.

Secondly, there are too many alternative sources of enjoyment. Video games, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and heaven forbid, going outside. When there were only three channels, All in the Family was the greatest thing we ever saw. With 500 channels, reruns pale in comparison to binge watching Breaking Bad.

So basically Mark Cuban is right, the NFL is doomed. What he doesn't realize is the NBA is too, because of entertainment competition.

Anyone who spends both Saturday and Sunday (not to mention Monday and Thursday night) watching football is a loser. Pick one, and the better choice is Saturday.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:39 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

This happens from time to time. Our expectations are still on last year’s rules, as well as the players’, hell probably even the officials’. This is like the year after the Hines Ward rule changes. It was awful. James Harrison and all the fans, me included, were whining up a storm about hard hits and the injustice of it all when the flags flew and the fines were sent forth.

The line had to drawn, and then the following year everyone knew what to expect and you could yell at the TV to help the refs make the call...and they did for the most part.

Same thing going on with the QB. As a matter of fact, it was like this when they started the “in the grasp” rule several years ago.

The baseline has been reset, and it is still being shaken out, and will probably be clear cut for all come the end of November. It is always darkest before the dawn.

Totally disagree. It's never going to be fun anymore, they will never reduce the rules, flags and reviews and only increase them. The plays we see probably are effected by a flag or review or some sort of technicality at least a third of the time! No other sport has this level of stoppage and micromanagement. College football is better now, simply because they seem to call less penalties and have no automatic reviews.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:35 pm 

I am also ready to follow a second league ...even if it is a semi pro minor league for the NFL. Remember the Pittsburgh Point?

Unfortunately I think the rules will still emphasize safety because of liability I would think.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

As much as I want you to be right, this time just feels different. The adrenaline is not there when I need to wait after every play to be sure there are no flags.

I grew up with Greg Lloyd as ny favorite player. I watch a game today that he wouldn’t be able to play. Its just not what I grew up loving anymore. Football was a release for me as a kid. I played because I wanted to hit. A hard hit was a surge of adrenaline that made me feel alive.

A time came when my body couldn’t take that anymore, but I clukd still watch others who could handle it seek those thrills and I could still get a little charge out of it. They are systematically removing the very thing I love now with these flags and fines. Its been happening for awhile and this TJ watt fine is the breaking point for me.

The best teams dont win anymore. Just the teams that get the calls.

I don’t recognize this game anymore and it is very hard to deal with. I appreciate you guys letting me vent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

As much as I want you to be right, this time just feels different. The adrenaline is not there when I need to wait after every play to be sure there are no flags.

I grew up with Greg Lloyd as ny favorite player. I watch a game today that he wouldn’t be able to play. Its just not what I grew up loving anymore. Football was a release for me as a kid. I played because I wanted to hit. A hard hit was a surge of adrenaline that made me feel alive.

A time came when my body couldn’t take that anymore, but I clukd still watch others who could handle it seek those thrills and I could still get a little charge out of it. They are systematically removing the very thing I love now with these flags and fines. Its been happening for awhile and this TJ watt fine is the breaking point for me.

The best teams dont win anymore. Just the teams that get the calls.

I don’t recognize this game anymore and it is very hard to deal with. I appreciate you guys letting me vent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:43 am 

You can still blow someone up. Just hit them in the dick without your helmet. You do that, they may still get concussed and taken out of the game. Shoulders aren’t much different than the mid section. The other thing is people will start putting their helmets on arms. Instant fumble. Players spend too much time complaining and not enough time thinking about new ways to blow people up.

The interception! Holy shit; spend some time studying that skill and get a PHD; one could make a fortune. It is a lost art for sure.

So many legal ways to tackle and yet nobody wants to learn them!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:13 am 

Following the NFL and the Steelers is about the city of Pittsburgh #1 the colors #2 and #3 winning rings.. Pittsburgh is and will always be home. That’s the root for me.

Watching college football or another football league will never cut it for me. I only watch college to see who will be playing on Sundays.

Is the NFL game different than what I grew up with (the 70’s), very much so, but if the Steelers were the Patriots, I’d be a 10 to 15 year old kid all over again. Change is constant, Growth is optional.

That’s why I can’t stand Art Rooney 2 deep down because he’s way too conservative, passive and slow to change.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:38 am 

Maybe I am in the minority on this but the product (Pittsburgh Steelers) seems to be fairly competitive year in and year out. You cant win 50 to nothing for every game because there are 31 other teams.

I also hear the argument that well we should expect nothing less than going undefeated every game because you are a loser if you say "goodenough". There is nothing wrong with striving for perfection but even if the Steelers went 10 years winning 50 to 0 ...how will that be sustained for the other teams?

The UCONN womens basketball team up here in Connecticut win about 90% of their games and many fans dont go because its not fun anymore.

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:05 am 

1. TV ratings have been declining for a couple years.

2. This year, TV ratings are UP. Expect to see more offense and more passing, and no QB hits.

3. Fantasy football is bigger than ever.

4. The 15 highest rated shows on TV are all regular season NFL football games. Baseball and basketball DO NOT EVEN COME CLOSE.

5. Regular season NFL games have way bigger ratings than even the biggest, most popular baseball or basketball games -- even their playoff or championship games.

6. NFL is still an entertainment juggernaut -- it ain''t going away, and it will likely get even bigger.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 am 

I was watching NFL network show about Randall Cunningham career. That dude was an exciting player and was great for the league.

At the peak of his career in Philly, he got hit by a DL with a late tackle below the knee, and he was out for the year. Devastating to the team and to the league to have a star player taken out like that.

The NFL is finally making sure that hits like that will never take out a QB again. I think it's the right move.

This is why TJ Watt was fined. Sure, he didn't hit Ryan, but what if he did? Ryan could've been knocked out for the year. The NFL is eliminating those types of low hits from the game.

QBs are EXTREMELY VALUABLE in the NFL, and they are paid that way too. They are like mini $250M subsidiaries of the NFL out there. Why wouldn't the NFL do everything in their power to protect the QB?

Would you be pissed if Big Ben was knocked out for the year by a late or low hit to the knee? Yes you would, and our season would be ruined.

Sure, injuries are part of the game, but I have no problem with the NFL finally trying to protect its single most valuable asset -- the QBs.

Watching Randall get knocked out for the season due to a shitty below the knee hit made me see now why the NFL is doing this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:53 am 

steel wrote:
I was watching NFL network show about Randall Cunningham career. That dude was an exciting player and was great for the league.

At the peak of his career in Philly, he got hit by a DL with a late tackle below the knee, and he was out for the year. Devastating to the team and to the league to have a star player taken out like that.

The NFL is finally making sure that hits like that will never take out a QB again. I think it's the right move.

This is why TJ Watt was fined. Sure, he didn't hit Ryan, but what if he did? Ryan could've been knocked out for the year. The NFL is eliminating those types of low hits from the game.

QBs are EXTREMELY VALUABLE in the NFL, and they are paid that way too. They are like mini $250M subsidiaries of the NFL out there. Why wouldn't the NFL do everything in their power to protect the QB?

Would you be pissed if Big Ben was knocked out for the year by a late or low hit to the knee? Yes you would, and our season would be ruined.

Sure, injuries are part of the game, but I have no problem with the NFL finally trying to protect its single most valuable asset -- the QBs.

Watching Randall get knocked out for the season due to a shitty below the knee hit made me see now why the NFL is doing this.
The reality is that the calls to protect the QB are inconsistent at best. At least that's what it looks like to me. BR as recently as last season was abused and knocked around with no flags or fines, while brady, brees, and others are treated like china dolls. Secondly, the fine on Watt was simply used as an example, whether is was deserving or not. It sent a 'message" when that message was already received (he pulled back on the hit). Both of those things rub fans the wrong way. On the other hand, as you highlight, the league is protecting their investment because the pursuit of wealth is more important than anything else. In this case, a fundamental aspect of football : violence and intimidation. Even when players know what the consequences are. I'm guessing it has more to do with protecting the bottom line than legislating hits out of the game to "protect players." That's just a scapegoat excuse laying the blame on political correctness or a bunch of pussy liberals.

Either way, this "debate" has been going on for decades. You all remember Lambert suggesting QB's wear skirts. . .