It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:
I’m not so much wondering why you believe those things, as why you felt the need to assert them, unsolicited, in a completely unrelated discussion about Troy Polamalu.

Like is this the stuff that underlies your every thought and just drives you batshit insane? Are you creating imaginary monsters to give you an excuse for where you ended up in life, or does the adrenaline thrill of being angry at a group of people just get you off? No need to answer, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else.

Wow...really?

We live in a society driven by marketing. What we eat, sleep on, and wipe our butts with are more derivitive of marketing than anything else. Our choices are far less our own isolated internal decisions than reactions to what we are told to choose. There's nothing wrong, that I can see, with drawing the parallel between a HOF induction and our hot button, societal topic of the day, diversity, and crediting marketing for it.

Yes. Really.

I don’t get why this ever came up in a Polamalu post.

“He’s a generational player who changed the position and game. Plus he’s Samoan, that’ll play in his favor... not that he needs it!”

Like, why?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:52 pm 

Jesus Christ, guys.

I could watch that video 10 times in a row. 1st ballot, absolutely...& i wouldn't doubt if Troy legitimately doesn't care if he gets in at all. Favorite player of all time, just edging Bubby Brister.

(Yes I'm kidding.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 pm 

If you had to mark Troy’s downward spiral, when would it have been? I haven’t researched this, but in my mind’s eye, I remember that TD against Cincy, when he flew into the end zone like Superman, and then injured his calf. I just don’t remember him ever the same after that. Nagging injuries ensued. Or did he fix himself after that and get another full year? Was that the injury that prompted the new workouts?

That play was simply amazing and embodies his whole career. Never thought he’d get to the end zone and then you are just left in disbelief, shaking your head, knowing full well that could have been a brick wall and he would have gone through it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
If you had to mark Troy’s downward spiral, when would it have been? I haven’t researched this, but in my mind’s eye, I remember that TD against Cincy, when he flew into the end zone like Superman, and then injured his calf. I just don’t remember him ever the same after that. Nagging injuries ensued. Or did he fix himself after that and get another full year? Was that the injury that prompted the new workouts?

That play was simply amazing and embodies his whole career. Never thought he’d get to the end zone and then you are just left in disbelief, shaking your head, knowing full well that could have been a brick wall and he would have gone through it.

That play has always stood out to me in the same way. I just checked, and it was in December of 2010, his DPOY season. I think you're right in saying that was the beginning of the end, though he did have some very memorable seasons after that.

The guy was doing things with his 5'10" 210lb frame that no one has any business doing. That he played as long as he did, and at such a high level, is remarkable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:40 pm 

You are correct. Did not go back far enough in the Wiki. Just assumed it wasn’t detailed.

Probably a stretch to say that was the start, but it looks like he had the calf strain to start the season the following year.

He probably should have gone skinny instead of putting on muscle to help his longevity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:44 pm 

Don't need to watch the video. First ballot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 pm 

DrMalba wrote:
Don't need to watch the video. First ballot.

Exactly. But I watched it anyway, and thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:27 pm 

Polamlu has a good shot at being a first ballot HOFer but whether he makes it on the first try will depend on who is on the ballot with him at the time. There’s already a pretty decent backlog so I would say it’s not a slam dunk.

If I had to guess the biggest knock media members will use against him will be that he didn’t age well past age 30 and lacks the longevity that his HOF competition may have had. I don’t think that’s a reason to keep him out but I could see that being the justification for snubbing him on the first shot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:27 pm 

Just a special, special player. We will likely never see another like him. If he isn’t first ballot, I don’t know who is.
That fingertips off the grass interception against the Chargers remains to this day, the most incredibly awesome athletic fete I have ever seen on a football field...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:08 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
Yes, he will be first ballot.

Sadly, a former Steeler safety who had a career on par with Polamalu really didn't sniff the HOF. I'll never understand how Donnie Shell isn't in the HOF.

Donnie Shell was my favorite defensive player of that era. He could cover, blitz, and he had 51 career picks. The main thing about Donnie Shell was he hit like a Mack Truck. When 31 hits you with a head of steam, you stay down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 pm 

Merril Hoge said the hardest he'd ever been hit was by Donnie Shell in practice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:44 am 

7forSteel wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:
I’m not so much wondering why you believe those things, as why you felt the need to assert them, unsolicited, in a completely unrelated discussion about Troy Polamalu.

Like is this the stuff that underlies your every thought and just drives you batshit insane? Are you creating imaginary monsters to give you an excuse for where you ended up in life, or does the adrenaline thrill of being angry at a group of people just get you off? No need to answer, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else.

Wow...really?

We live in a society driven by marketing. What we eat, sleep on, and wipe our butts with are more derivitive of marketing than anything else. Our choices are far less our own isolated internal decisions than reactions to what we are told to choose. There's nothing wrong, that I can see, with drawing the parallel between a HOF induction and our hot button, societal topic of the day, diversity, and crediting marketing for it.

It's okay 7, like I said, some people (or should I say, Sheeple) just don't see marketing in their everyday lives. LTW is obviously one of those folks. Maybe he's pissed at his thighmaster or something. Who the hell knows.

I will answer his "rhetorical" :lol: questions though.

First LTW, you might want to go back and read all of the posts in this thread. I was responding to someone else's comment which made the point that Donnie Shell had a similar career and was robbed from being in (but rest assured, if Shell was of a unique race to the NFL - like Troy - he would have been in a long time ago.) The reason he's not in is because the voters and the NFL don't want to alienate the fans of other 31 teams by putting too many '70s Steelers in. My reason for bringing up Troy's (whom I've met personally on serval occasions and admire greatly) race was to show how much marketing and broad demographics is important to the success of the NFL. Do you remember the early 2000's Dallas Cowboy player, Dat Nguyen? He was Vietnamese I think. The NFL was so giddy that he was playing they showed him (at great length) every time he was on the field - worthy (due to skill) or not. Why the hell do you think they celebrate breast cancer awareness month so prominently? Are you really so dumb/blind to not get the correlation between wanting to grow their female demographic by supporting this?

Sure, I could have said a simple "yes, Troy is a first ballot HOFer" to the original posters question, but someone had already taken the conversation further (something you're either oblivious too or just so damn caught up in some race issues of your own that you couldn't/wouldn't see it).

The funny thing is, I'm not upset at all by any of this...never was. I was just pointing out the reality of the situation. I'm really sorry LTW, that you've had some terrible injustice thrown upon you with regards to your race or something that has led you to be so touchy about the realities of race/demographics and marketing in the NFL. I also can't help it if you choose to be a sheeple. Your choice, my man. I will add, you're exactly what's wrong with America today. You've got to turn a simple conversation about demographics and marketing (as it relates to the NFL) into some race related anger issue you have; wow.

Have a drink and lighten up Francis. No one is going to touch any of your stuff....really! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:04 am 

I just want to comment after watching that video, I can see myself preaching to the next generation about how the game "used" to be played and how special a time it was to witness Troy and his greatness.

Damn, I feel old and this NFL is certainly not the one I grew up loving.

Again, blessed have watched and rooted for Troy. So humble, so talented. Man, do I miss seeing him on Sundays.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:35 pm 

DP39 wrote:
7forSteel wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:

Wow...really?

It's okay 7, like I said, some people (or should I say, Sheeple) just don't see marketing in their everyday lives. LTW is obviously one of those folks. Maybe he's pissed at his thighmaster or something. Who the hell knows.

I will answer his "rhetorical" :lol: questions though.

First LTW, you might want to go back and read all of the posts in this thread. I was responding to someone else's comment which made the point that Donnie Shell had a similar career and was robbed from being in (but rest assured, if Shell was of a unique race to the NFL - like Troy - he would have been in a long time ago.) The reason he's not in is because the voters and the NFL don't want to alienate the fans of other 31 teams by putting too many '70s Steelers in. My reason for bringing up Troy's (whom I've met personally on serval occasions and admire greatly) race was to show how much marketing and broad demographics is important to the success of the NFL. Do you remember the early 2000's Dallas Cowboy player, Dat Nguyen? He was Vietnamese I think. The NFL was so giddy that he was playing they showed him (at great length) every time he was on the field - worthy (due to skill) or not. Why the hell do you think they celebrate breast cancer awareness month so prominently? Are you really so dumb/blind to not get the correlation between wanting to grow their female demographic by supporting this?

Sure, I could have said a simple "yes, Troy is a first ballot HOFer" to the original posters question, but someone had already taken the conversation further (something you're either oblivious too or just so damn caught up in some race issues of your own that you couldn't/wouldn't see it).

The funny thing is, I'm not upset at all by any of this...never was. I was just pointing out the reality of the situation. I'm really sorry LTW, that you've had some terrible injustice thrown upon you with regards to your race or something that has led you to be so touchy about the realities of race/demographics and marketing in the NFL. I also can't help it if you choose to be a sheeple. Your choice, my man. I will add, you're exactly what's wrong with America today. You've got to turn a simple conversation about demographics and marketing (as it relates to the NFL) into some race related anger issue you have; wow.

Have a drink and lighten up Francis. No one is going to touch any of your stuff....really! :lol:

Generally when someone uses the term “sheeple”, I immediately tune them out. Go back to figuring out how they faked the moon landing, or who was behind Pizzagate, or blame your lot in life on minorities. I’m sure some Asian kid kept you out of MIT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:11 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
Generally when someone uses the term “sheeple”, I immediately tune them out. Go back to figuring out how they faked the moon landing, or who was behind Pizzagate, or blame your lot in life on minorities. I’m sure some Asian kid kept you out of MIT.

Yep, you win LTW. I'll promptly remove myself from the conversation another poster started.

I come to this sight to read and post about all thing Steelers, and NFL related topics. I'm comfortable with my track record of trying not to get into pissing contest with the posters that come here to police, argue, insult and be internet tough guys - just to compensate for their miserable lives. I've read enough of your posts and I should've of known better...my first mistake in responding to your unsolicited attack on me.

I'll be the bigger man here, and wish you all the luck you can get in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:53 pm 

USS Steelerworks wrote:
Polamlu has a good shot at being a first ballot HOFer but whether he makes it on the first try will depend on who is on the ballot with him at the time. There’s already a pretty decent backlog so I would say it’s not a slam dunk.

If I had to guess the biggest knock media members will use against him will be that he didn’t age well past age 30 and lacks the longevity that his HOF competition may have had. I don’t think that’s a reason to keep him out but I could see that being the justification for snubbing him on the first shot.

It's an interesting question. Here's a list of last year's finalists, plus upcoming eligibles (organized by my opinion):

Probably not getting in HOF:
Steve Atwater, S
Ronde Barber, CB/S
LeRoy Butler, S
Roger Craig, RB
Joe Jacoby, OT
Karl Mecklenburg, LB
Everson Walls, CB
Leslie O'Neal, DE
Simeon Rice, DE

Outside shot/unlikely any time soon:
Richard Seymour, DE/DT
Hines Ward, WR
Edgerrin James, RB
Ty Law, CB
Tony Boselli, OT

Should get in eventually:
Isaac Bruce, WR
Steve Hutchinson, G
Alan Faneca, G
Kevin Mawae, C/G
Torry Holt, WR
John Lynch, FS

2019: Tony Gonzalez, Ed Reed, Champ Bailey
2020: Troy Polamalu, Reggie Wayne, Patrick Willis

I'm not sure if Champ, Wayne, and Willis are necessarily first-ballot HOFers. Honestly, I'm not sure who should get in over Troy from that list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:00 pm 

It's a shame Hines couldn't hold onto his media gig. Probably would have, along with some impressive highlights and a good story, would have put him into serious contention.

I'd like to elevate Atwater, but then I watch the Donnie Shell video.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm 

Ice wrote:
It's a shame Hines couldn't hold onto his media gig. Probably would have, along with some impressive highlights and a good story, would have put him into serious contention.

I'd like to elevate Atwater, but then I watch the Donnie Shell video.

Polamalu is the best player on that list Pabst posted. He's certainly a first ballot guy.

If Reggie Wayne gets in, Ward should get in. Ward had more TDs than Wayne, won a Super Bowl MVP, suffered from having subpar QBs for the first half of his career, played outdoors in what was a run first offense for most of his career, didn't have a superstar like Marvin Harrison opposite of him until the very end of his career when AB came along (and that was before AB's prime), and was a more distinctive player (a vicious, hard blocking WR with a constant smile on his face for whom the league had to change the rules to protect poor defenseless LBs). Wayne is about as anonymous as an All Pro WR can be.

I think both Ward and Wayne are borderline Hall of Famers, but I just don't see them inducting Wayne and keeping out Ward (unless Ward falls victim to the "too many Steelers" school of thought). I also don't see a case for Holt, whose career wasn't quite as good as either Ward or Wayne.

Last edited by W&M_Steeler on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:47 pm 

On second thought, that's a good call on Holt. I doubt he gets in. I keep thinking his stats are on par with Bruce (they're not). I think what's going to kill Ward's chances is 1. The strength of the WR position in his era, and 2. The HOF's general disdain of WRs

I honestly can't see Patrick Willis getting in first ballot, either.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:12 pm 

Pabst wrote:
On second thought, that's a good call on Holt. I doubt he gets in. I keep thinking his stats are on par with Bruce (they're not). I think what's going to kill Ward's chances is 1. The strength of the WR position in his era, and 2. The HOF's general disdain of WRs

I honestly can't see Patrick Willis getting in first ballot, either.

I think Ward stacks up nicely compared to all his contemporaries but Moss/Owens/Harrison/Bruce, and, when his other accomplishments & attributes are considered, I think he's the strongest "Second tier elite" candidate. Other than that I can't think of other contemporary WRs from the late 90s / first decade of the 2000s who would be more deserving than Ward of enshrinement. Calvin Johnson will get in on the Terrell Davis exception, although his stats aren't quite as good as Ward's (albeit accumulated in fewer season). But Ward's stats stand up even against Andre Johnson. Ward is currently tied for 15th in all time Receiving TDs, and everyone above him has already been enshrined in the HoF except for Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, and Isaac Bruce (and all of them will be inducted).

Ironically, I think that AB's emergence has hurt Ward's chances somewhat. Whereas no one has replaced Polamalu (and I doubt anyone will), AB has come in and out performed Ward, so Ward kind of gets forgotten about even in Pittsburgh. But I think that Ward definitely deserves serious HoF consideration.

EDIT: I forgot about Larry Fitzgerald. He'll be a Hall of Famer, possibly 1st ballot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 pm 

Quixotic wrote:
Obviously wrote:
franco>madden wrote:
Damn. That video brought tears to my eyes. Unreal how many fantastic plays Troy made -- got burned sometimes but overall his risk-taking paid off massively. His superhuman agility and strength didn't hurt either.

Not to mention his being a really good guy as well --

Polamalu's right up there with the handful of greatest Steelers of all time. HOFer all the way.

Since 2000, only him, Ben and Bettis should be in the all-time top 10 Steeler players.

Absolutely. And not sure about Bettis (which is not to say anything bad about Bettis—he just may not be a top ten all-time steeler).

Let’s see…Green, Blount, Bradshaw, Lambert, Webster, Swan, Stallworth, Franco, Woodson… that’s nine. Troy makes ten. So, who do you bump for Ben (BEN!) and Bettis? Man! We’ve gotten to watch some great players!

Then there was Eric Greene (a vile human, but he changed the TE position). Dirt Dawson—played center like an athletic guard. Also Shell, Ham, Greenwood… getting to a ten-best list would be challenging.

Green, Blount, Bradshaw, Lambert, Webster, Swan, Stallworth, Franco, Woodson… that’s nine. Troy makes ten. So, who do you bump for Ben ?

Blount, Bradshaw, Lambert, Webster, Swan, Stallworth, Franco, Woodson and Troy

Without the drafting of Ben, "One for the Thumb" t-shirts are still being sold. He's the key to the 2nd Super Bowl era like Greene was to the 1st. 2nd most important Steeler ever.

Last edited by Nick79 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm 

Troy and Ben in consecutive years, best consecutive draft picks ever, or else 2nd to Greene and Bradshaw.