It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:10 pm 

Check out the new Troy Polamalu career retrospective, NFL films, so not embedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL8diqVaEY0

After you watch this, is Troy first ballot? I say yes.

Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 pm 

Nobody deserves to be first ballot more in my book.

Nobody.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm 

Absolutely. I don't think we'll ever see another talent like him in the black and gold.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:27 pm 

Yes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:31 pm 

Damn. That video brought tears to my eyes. Unreal how many fantastic plays Troy made -- got burned sometimes but overall his risk-taking paid off massively. His superhuman agility and strength didn't hurt either.

Not to mention his being a really good guy as well --

Polamalu's right up there with the handful of greatest Steelers of all time. HOFer all the way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm 

franco>madden wrote:
Damn. That video brought tears to my eyes. Unreal how many fantastic plays Troy made -- got burned sometimes but overall his risk-taking paid off massively. His superhuman agility and strength didn't hurt either.

Polamalu's right up there with the handful of greatest Steelers of all time. HOFer all the way.

Since 2000, only him, Ben and Bettis should be in the all-time top 10 Steeler players.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 pm 

No doubt. Dudes a 1st Ballet. What an Amazing player. I was so happy we moved up to draft him. I'm from So Cal and watched many USC games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 pm 

Yes. Changed the position! Forced scouts to look for the next Troy. They gave up and the position went back to what it was.

Career stats should say 33 interceptions! You all know which one I am talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:06 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Yes. Changed the position! Forced scouts to look for the next Troy. They gave up and the position went back to what it was.

Career stats should say 33 interceptions! You all know which one I am talking about.

Fucking a right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm 

Yes, he will be first ballot.

Sadly, a former Steeler safety who had a career on par with Polamalu really didn't sniff the HOF. I'll never understand how Donnie Shell isn't in the HOF.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm 

Bleessed to have seen his entire career.

May never see another that special.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:40 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:

Sadly, a former Steeler safety who had a career on par with Polamalu really didn't sniff the HOF. I'll never understand how Donnie Shell isn't in the HOF.

Yep. Troy has the added bonus of being of Samoan descent (not that he needs it, imo), which would bring more diversity to the HOF. The HOF will pounce on him being a first balloter for the PR alone. If he were Hispanic or Asian they would cream all over themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:47 pm 

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:22 pm 

He is so incredible, absolute 1st ballot hall of famer!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 pm 

DP39 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Yep. Troy has the added bonus of being of Samoan descent (not that he needs it, imo), which would bring more diversity to the HOF. The HOF will pounce on him being a first balloter for the PR alone. If he were Hispanic or Asian they would cream all over themselves.

Why are you saying any of these things?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:48 pm 

Most definitely.

He didn't just cause turnovers. He wanted the endzone. Never saw a db want to score more than Troy. Would have been fun to see him inserted into the offense from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:14 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
DP39 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Yeah, so politically incorrect. Maybe he works in a college admissions office.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:15 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
DP39 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:

Just pointing out the marketing machine the NFL is. The fact Donnie Shell is not in is a crime. If he was Hispanic, Asian or some other race he would be. It's the same reason when you see a commercial with four hot women in it, they'll most likely be a blonde, redhead, black and asian. Maybe some folks don't pick up on that sort of thing, but I do. Marketing 101, and with the way the NFL rating have dropped they will use any PR they can get.

But, as I stated, Troy doesn't need it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:26 pm 

Troy definitely deserves it. He played the position the way no one ever had.

Also, the fact that Shell isn't in is a freakin' crime. He retired with 51 interceptions, most all time for a SS. He was First team all pro 3 times and 2nd time once. 4X super bowl champ on top of that. Anyone who is First Team All pro 3 times should be in the hall of fame...hands down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:26 pm 

DP39 wrote:
Just pointing out the marketing machine the NFL is. The fact Donnie Shell is not in is a crime. If he was Hispanic, Asian or some other race he would be. It's the same reason when you see a commercial with four hot women in it, they'll most likely be a blonde, redhead, black and asian. Maybe some folks don't pick up on that sort of thing, but I do. Marketing 101, and with the way the NFL rating have dropped they will use any PR they can get.

The NFL doesn't vote people into the Hall of Fame, the media does.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 pm 

Troy- all time Steelers great and a certain 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Watching those highlights, it's hard to believe just how great Troy was. He seemed super human at times. That interception against the Chargers where he caught the ball about a millimeter above the ground was unreal.

EDIT- deleted off topic comments re: Ben and the HoF.

Last edited by W&M_Steeler on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
DP39 wrote:

The NFL doesn't vote people into the Hall of Fame, the media does.

If you (or anyone else) doesn't think race and marketing opportunities don't play a role sometimes in giving a nudge to who gets in or not, then I certainly wont waste my time trying to convince y'all, because I realize I wont change your mind at this point.

All I'll say, again, is that (imo), from a marketing standpoint, the NFL would LOVE to have a more diverse race representation included in their HOF. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:52 pm 

I’m not so much wondering why you believe those things, as why you felt the need to assert them, unsolicited, in a completely unrelated discussion about Troy Polamalu.

Like is this the stuff that underlies your every thought and just drives you batshit insane? Are you creating imaginary monsters to give you an excuse for where you ended up in life, or does the adrenaline thrill of being angry at a group of people just get you off? No need to answer, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm 

Laying the Wood wrote:
I’m not so much wondering why you believe those things, as why you felt the need to assert them, unsolicited, in a completely unrelated discussion about Troy Polamalu.

Like is this the stuff that underlies your every thought and just drives you batshit insane? Are you creating imaginary monsters to give you an excuse for where you ended up in life, or does the adrenaline thrill of being angry at a group of people just get you off? No need to answer, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else.

Wow...really?

We live in a society driven by marketing. What we eat, sleep on, and wipe our butts with are more derivitive of marketing than anything else. Our choices are far less our own isolated internal decisions than reactions to what we are told to choose. There's nothing wrong, that I can see, with drawing the parallel between a HOF induction and our hot button, societal topic of the day, diversity, and crediting marketing for it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:36 pm 

Obviously wrote:
franco>madden wrote:

Since 2000, only him, Ben and Bettis should be in the all-time top 10 Steeler players.

Absolutely. And not sure about Bettis (which is not to say anything bad about Bettis—he just may not be a top ten all-time steeler).

Let’s see…Green, Blount, Bradshaw, Lambert, Webster, Swan, Stallworth, Franco, Woodson… that’s nine. Troy makes ten. So, who do you bump for Ben (BEN!) and Bettis? Man! We’ve gotten to watch some great players!

Then there was Eric Greene (a vile human, but he changed the TE position). Dirt Dawson—played center like an athletic guard. Also Shell, Ham, Greenwood… getting to a ten-best list would be challenging.