It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:23 pm
Posts: 3260
Check out the new Troy Polamalu career retrospective, NFL films, so not embedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL8diqVaEY0

After you watch this, is Troy first ballot? I say yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 11315
Nobody deserves to be first ballot more in my book.

Nobody.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
Been checked to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 802
Absolutely. I don't think we'll ever see another talent like him in the black and gold.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4251
Yes

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm
Posts: 854
Location: Baja Sharkeez Newport Beach
Damn. That video brought tears to my eyes. Unreal how many fantastic plays Troy made -- got burned sometimes but overall his risk-taking paid off massively. His superhuman agility and strength didn't hurt either.

Not to mention his being a really good guy as well --

Polamalu's right up there with the handful of greatest Steelers of all time. HOFer all the way.

_________________
Image "I did glance to my right, over to the Raiders sideline, and The Fat Fuck John Madden was going absolutely ballistic...hair flying....fat arms waving." swissvale72


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4251
franco>madden wrote:
Damn. That video brought tears to my eyes. Unreal how many fantastic plays Troy made -- got burned sometimes but overall his risk-taking paid off massively. His superhuman agility and strength didn't hurt either.

Not to mention his being a really good guy as well --

Polamalu's right up there with the handful of greatest Steelers of all time. HOFer all the way.


Since 2000, only him, Ben and Bettis should be in the all-time top 10 Steeler players.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:04 am
Posts: 80
No doubt. Dudes a 1st Ballet. What an Amazing player. I was so happy we moved up to draft him. I'm from So Cal and watched many USC games.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1152
Yes. Changed the position! Forced scouts to look for the next Troy. They gave up and the position went back to what it was.

Career stats should say 33 interceptions! You all know which one I am talking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm
Posts: 3287
Location: Upstate NY
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Yes. Changed the position! Forced scouts to look for the next Troy. They gave up and the position went back to what it was.

Career stats should say 33 interceptions! You all know which one I am talking about.



Fucking a right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm
Posts: 2823
Yes, he will be first ballot.

Sadly, a former Steeler safety who had a career on par with Polamalu really didn't sniff the HOF. I'll never understand how Donnie Shell isn't in the HOF.

_________________
Zone Blitz - Steelers Football Discussion
Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers (Off topic threads not permitted and this forum will be strictly moderated. Threads containing political, religious or racial remarks won't be tolerated.)
Yeah, right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm
Posts: 3287
Location: Upstate NY
Bleessed to have seen his entire career.

May never see another that special.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1440
fractalsteel wrote:
Yes, he will be first ballot.

Sadly, a former Steeler safety who had a career on par with Polamalu really didn't sniff the HOF. I'll never understand how Donnie Shell isn't in the HOF.


Yep. Troy has the added bonus of being of Samoan descent (not that he needs it, imo), which would bring more diversity to the HOF. The HOF will pounce on him being a first balloter for the PR alone. If he were Hispanic or Asian they would cream all over themselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6733
Yes.

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am
Posts: 9091
He is so incredible, absolute 1st ballot hall of famer!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 802
DP39 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Yes, he will be first ballot.

Sadly, a former Steeler safety who had a career on par with Polamalu really didn't sniff the HOF. I'll never understand how Donnie Shell isn't in the HOF.


Yep. Troy has the added bonus of being of Samoan descent (not that he needs it, imo), which would bring more diversity to the HOF. The HOF will pounce on him being a first balloter for the PR alone. If he were Hispanic or Asian they would cream all over themselves.


Why are you saying any of these things?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm
Posts: 205
Most definitely.

He didn't just cause turnovers. He wanted the endzone. Never saw a db want to score more than Troy. Would have been fun to see him inserted into the offense from time to time.

_________________
You're never as good as you think you are, or as bad as they say you are.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6733
Laying the Wood wrote:
DP39 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Yes, he will be first ballot.

Sadly, a former Steeler safety who had a career on par with Polamalu really didn't sniff the HOF. I'll never understand how Donnie Shell isn't in the HOF.


Yep. Troy has the added bonus of being of Samoan descent (not that he needs it, imo), which would bring more diversity to the HOF. The HOF will pounce on him being a first balloter for the PR alone. If he were Hispanic or Asian they would cream all over themselves.


Why are you saying any of these things?


Yeah, so politically incorrect. Maybe he works in a college admissions office.

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1440
Laying the Wood wrote:
DP39 wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Yes, he will be first ballot.

Sadly, a former Steeler safety who had a career on par with Polamalu really didn't sniff the HOF. I'll never understand how Donnie Shell isn't in the HOF.


Yep. Troy has the added bonus of being of Samoan descent (not that he needs it, imo), which would bring more diversity to the HOF. The HOF will pounce on him being a first balloter for the PR alone. If he were Hispanic or Asian they would cream all over themselves.


Why are you saying any of these things?

Just pointing out the marketing machine the NFL is. The fact Donnie Shell is not in is a crime. If he was Hispanic, Asian or some other race he would be. It's the same reason when you see a commercial with four hot women in it, they'll most likely be a blonde, redhead, black and asian. Maybe some folks don't pick up on that sort of thing, but I do. Marketing 101, and with the way the NFL rating have dropped they will use any PR they can get.

But, as I stated, Troy doesn't need it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:50 pm
Posts: 752
Troy definitely deserves it. He played the position the way no one ever had.

Also, the fact that Shell isn't in is a freakin' crime. He retired with 51 interceptions, most all time for a SS. He was First team all pro 3 times and 2nd time once. 4X super bowl champ on top of that. Anyone who is First Team All pro 3 times should be in the hall of fame...hands down.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1720
DP39 wrote:
Just pointing out the marketing machine the NFL is. The fact Donnie Shell is not in is a crime. If he was Hispanic, Asian or some other race he would be. It's the same reason when you see a commercial with four hot women in it, they'll most likely be a blonde, redhead, black and asian. Maybe some folks don't pick up on that sort of thing, but I do. Marketing 101, and with the way the NFL rating have dropped they will use any PR they can get.

But, as I stated, Troy doesn't need it.



The NFL doesn't vote people into the Hall of Fame, the media does.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm
Posts: 745
Troy- all time Steelers great and a certain 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Watching those highlights, it's hard to believe just how great Troy was. He seemed super human at times. That interception against the Chargers where he caught the ball about a millimeter above the ground was unreal.

EDIT- deleted off topic comments re: Ben and the HoF.


Last edited by W&M_Steeler on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1440
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Just pointing out the marketing machine the NFL is. The fact Donnie Shell is not in is a crime. If he was Hispanic, Asian or some other race he would be. It's the same reason when you see a commercial with four hot women in it, they'll most likely be a blonde, redhead, black and asian. Maybe some folks don't pick up on that sort of thing, but I do. Marketing 101, and with the way the NFL rating have dropped they will use any PR they can get.

But, as I stated, Troy doesn't need it.



The NFL doesn't vote people into the Hall of Fame, the media does.

If you (or anyone else) doesn't think race and marketing opportunities don't play a role sometimes in giving a nudge to who gets in or not, then I certainly wont waste my time trying to convince y'all, because I realize I wont change your mind at this point.

All I'll say, again, is that (imo), from a marketing standpoint, the NFL would LOVE to have a more diverse race representation included in their HOF. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 802
I’m not so much wondering why you believe those things, as why you felt the need to assert them, unsolicited, in a completely unrelated discussion about Troy Polamalu.

Like is this the stuff that underlies your every thought and just drives you batshit insane? Are you creating imaginary monsters to give you an excuse for where you ended up in life, or does the adrenaline thrill of being angry at a group of people just get you off? No need to answer, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm
Posts: 205
Laying the Wood wrote:
I’m not so much wondering why you believe those things, as why you felt the need to assert them, unsolicited, in a completely unrelated discussion about Troy Polamalu.

Like is this the stuff that underlies your every thought and just drives you batshit insane? Are you creating imaginary monsters to give you an excuse for where you ended up in life, or does the adrenaline thrill of being angry at a group of people just get you off? No need to answer, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else.

Wow...really?

We live in a society driven by marketing. What we eat, sleep on, and wipe our butts with are more derivitive of marketing than anything else. Our choices are far less our own isolated internal decisions than reactions to what we are told to choose. There's nothing wrong, that I can see, with drawing the parallel between a HOF induction and our hot button, societal topic of the day, diversity, and crediting marketing for it.

_________________
You're never as good as you think you are, or as bad as they say you are.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 pm
Posts: 469
Obviously wrote:
franco>madden wrote:
Damn. That video brought tears to my eyes. Unreal how many fantastic plays Troy made -- got burned sometimes but overall his risk-taking paid off massively. His superhuman agility and strength didn't hurt either.

Not to mention his being a really good guy as well --

Polamalu's right up there with the handful of greatest Steelers of all time. HOFer all the way.


Since 2000, only him, Ben and Bettis should be in the all-time top 10 Steeler players.


Absolutely. And not sure about Bettis (which is not to say anything bad about Bettis—he just may not be a top ten all-time steeler).

Let’s see…Green, Blount, Bradshaw, Lambert, Webster, Swan, Stallworth, Franco, Woodson… that’s nine. Troy makes ten. So, who do you bump for Ben (BEN!) and Bettis? Man! We’ve gotten to watch some great players!

Then there was Eric Greene (a vile human, but he changed the TE position). Dirt Dawson—played center like an athletic guard. Also Shell, Ham, Greenwood… getting to a ten-best list would be challenging.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 802
7forSteel wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:
I’m not so much wondering why you believe those things, as why you felt the need to assert them, unsolicited, in a completely unrelated discussion about Troy Polamalu.

Like is this the stuff that underlies your every thought and just drives you batshit insane? Are you creating imaginary monsters to give you an excuse for where you ended up in life, or does the adrenaline thrill of being angry at a group of people just get you off? No need to answer, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else.

Wow...really?

We live in a society driven by marketing. What we eat, sleep on, and wipe our butts with are more derivitive of marketing than anything else. Our choices are far less our own isolated internal decisions than reactions to what we are told to choose. There's nothing wrong, that I can see, with drawing the parallel between a HOF induction and our hot button, societal topic of the day, diversity, and crediting marketing for it.


Yes. Really.

I don’t get why this ever came up in a Polamalu post.

“He’s a generational player who changed the position and game. Plus he’s Samoan, that’ll play in his favor... not that he needs it!”

Like, why?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 2647
Jesus Christ, guys.

I could watch that video 10 times in a row. 1st ballot, absolutely...& i wouldn't doubt if Troy legitimately doesn't care if he gets in at all. Favorite player of all time, just edging Bubby Brister.


(Yes I'm kidding.)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1152
If you had to mark Troy’s downward spiral, when would it have been? I haven’t researched this, but in my mind’s eye, I remember that TD against Cincy, when he flew into the end zone like Superman, and then injured his calf. I just don’t remember him ever the same after that. Nagging injuries ensued. Or did he fix himself after that and get another full year? Was that the injury that prompted the new workouts?

That play was simply amazing and embodies his whole career. Never thought he’d get to the end zone and then you are just left in disbelief, shaking your head, knowing full well that could have been a brick wall and he would have gone through it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 802
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
If you had to mark Troy’s downward spiral, when would it have been? I haven’t researched this, but in my mind’s eye, I remember that TD against Cincy, when he flew into the end zone like Superman, and then injured his calf. I just don’t remember him ever the same after that. Nagging injuries ensued. Or did he fix himself after that and get another full year? Was that the injury that prompted the new workouts?

That play was simply amazing and embodies his whole career. Never thought he’d get to the end zone and then you are just left in disbelief, shaking your head, knowing full well that could have been a brick wall and he would have gone through it.


That play has always stood out to me in the same way. I just checked, and it was in December of 2010, his DPOY season. I think you're right in saying that was the beginning of the end, though he did have some very memorable seasons after that.

The guy was doing things with his 5'10" 210lb frame that no one has any business doing. That he played as long as he did, and at such a high level, is remarkable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1152
You are correct. Did not go back far enough in the Wiki. Just assumed it wasn’t detailed.

Probably a stretch to say that was the start, but it looks like he had the calf strain to start the season the following year.

He probably should have gone skinny instead of putting on muscle to help his longevity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 1381
Don't need to watch the video. First ballot.

_________________
Zeke5123 wrote:
if I flip a coin 100 times and it always comes up heads, I might change my estimation on whether it is a fair coin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4672
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
DrMalba wrote:
Don't need to watch the video. First ballot.


Exactly. But I watched it anyway, and thanks for posting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:36 pm
Posts: 310
Polamlu has a good shot at being a first ballot HOFer but whether he makes it on the first try will depend on who is on the ballot with him at the time. There’s already a pretty decent backlog so I would say it’s not a slam dunk.

If I had to guess the biggest knock media members will use against him will be that he didn’t age well past age 30 and lacks the longevity that his HOF competition may have had. I don’t think that’s a reason to keep him out but I could see that being the justification for snubbing him on the first shot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6873
Just a special, special player. We will likely never see another like him. If he isn’t first ballot, I don’t know who is.
That fingertips off the grass interception against the Chargers remains to this day, the most incredibly awesome athletic fete I have ever seen on a football field...

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:23 pm
Posts: 3260
fractalsteel wrote:
Yes, he will be first ballot.

Sadly, a former Steeler safety who had a career on par with Polamalu really didn't sniff the HOF. I'll never understand how Donnie Shell isn't in the HOF.

Donnie Shell was my favorite defensive player of that era. He could cover, blitz, and he had 51 career picks. The main thing about Donnie Shell was he hit like a Mack Truck. When 31 hits you with a head of steam, you stay down.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7595
Merril Hoge said the hardest he'd ever been hit was by Donnie Shell in practice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1440
7forSteel wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:
I’m not so much wondering why you believe those things, as why you felt the need to assert them, unsolicited, in a completely unrelated discussion about Troy Polamalu.

Like is this the stuff that underlies your every thought and just drives you batshit insane? Are you creating imaginary monsters to give you an excuse for where you ended up in life, or does the adrenaline thrill of being angry at a group of people just get you off? No need to answer, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else.

Wow...really?

We live in a society driven by marketing. What we eat, sleep on, and wipe our butts with are more derivitive of marketing than anything else. Our choices are far less our own isolated internal decisions than reactions to what we are told to choose. There's nothing wrong, that I can see, with drawing the parallel between a HOF induction and our hot button, societal topic of the day, diversity, and crediting marketing for it.

It's okay 7, like I said, some people (or should I say, Sheeple) just don't see marketing in their everyday lives. LTW is obviously one of those folks. Maybe he's pissed at his thighmaster or something. Who the hell knows.

I will answer his "rhetorical" :lol: questions though.

First LTW, you might want to go back and read all of the posts in this thread. I was responding to someone else's comment which made the point that Donnie Shell had a similar career and was robbed from being in (but rest assured, if Shell was of a unique race to the NFL - like Troy - he would have been in a long time ago.) The reason he's not in is because the voters and the NFL don't want to alienate the fans of other 31 teams by putting too many '70s Steelers in. My reason for bringing up Troy's (whom I've met personally on serval occasions and admire greatly) race was to show how much marketing and broad demographics is important to the success of the NFL. Do you remember the early 2000's Dallas Cowboy player, Dat Nguyen? He was Vietnamese I think. The NFL was so giddy that he was playing they showed him (at great length) every time he was on the field - worthy (due to skill) or not. Why the hell do you think they celebrate breast cancer awareness month so prominently? Are you really so dumb/blind to not get the correlation between wanting to grow their female demographic by supporting this?

Sure, I could have said a simple "yes, Troy is a first ballot HOFer" to the original posters question, but someone had already taken the conversation further (something you're either oblivious too or just so damn caught up in some race issues of your own that you couldn't/wouldn't see it).

The funny thing is, I'm not upset at all by any of this...never was. I was just pointing out the reality of the situation. I'm really sorry LTW, that you've had some terrible injustice thrown upon you with regards to your race or something that has led you to be so touchy about the realities of race/demographics and marketing in the NFL. I also can't help it if you choose to be a sheeple. Your choice, my man. I will add, you're exactly what's wrong with America today. You've got to turn a simple conversation about demographics and marketing (as it relates to the NFL) into some race related anger issue you have; wow.

Have a drink and lighten up Francis. No one is going to touch any of your stuff....really! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm
Posts: 3287
Location: Upstate NY
I just want to comment after watching that video, I can see myself preaching to the next generation about how the game "used" to be played and how special a time it was to witness Troy and his greatness.

Damn, I feel old and this NFL is certainly not the one I grew up loving.

Again, blessed have watched and rooted for Troy. So humble, so talented. Man, do I miss seeing him on Sundays.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 802
DP39 wrote:
7forSteel wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:
I’m not so much wondering why you believe those things, as why you felt the need to assert them, unsolicited, in a completely unrelated discussion about Troy Polamalu.

Like is this the stuff that underlies your every thought and just drives you batshit insane? Are you creating imaginary monsters to give you an excuse for where you ended up in life, or does the adrenaline thrill of being angry at a group of people just get you off? No need to answer, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else.

Wow...really?

We live in a society driven by marketing. What we eat, sleep on, and wipe our butts with are more derivitive of marketing than anything else. Our choices are far less our own isolated internal decisions than reactions to what we are told to choose. There's nothing wrong, that I can see, with drawing the parallel between a HOF induction and our hot button, societal topic of the day, diversity, and crediting marketing for it.

It's okay 7, like I said, some people (or should I say, Sheeple) just don't see marketing in their everyday lives. LTW is obviously one of those folks. Maybe he's pissed at his thighmaster or something. Who the hell knows.

I will answer his "rhetorical" :lol: questions though.

First LTW, you might want to go back and read all of the posts in this thread. I was responding to someone else's comment which made the point that Donnie Shell had a similar career and was robbed from being in (but rest assured, if Shell was of a unique race to the NFL - like Troy - he would have been in a long time ago.) The reason he's not in is because the voters and the NFL don't want to alienate the fans of other 31 teams by putting too many '70s Steelers in. My reason for bringing up Troy's (whom I've met personally on serval occasions and admire greatly) race was to show how much marketing and broad demographics is important to the success of the NFL. Do you remember the early 2000's Dallas Cowboy player, Dat Nguyen? He was Vietnamese I think. The NFL was so giddy that he was playing they showed him (at great length) every time he was on the field - worthy (due to skill) or not. Why the hell do you think they celebrate breast cancer awareness month so prominently? Are you really so dumb/blind to not get the correlation between wanting to grow their female demographic by supporting this?

Sure, I could have said a simple "yes, Troy is a first ballot HOFer" to the original posters question, but someone had already taken the conversation further (something you're either oblivious too or just so damn caught up in some race issues of your own that you couldn't/wouldn't see it).

The funny thing is, I'm not upset at all by any of this...never was. I was just pointing out the reality of the situation. I'm really sorry LTW, that you've had some terrible injustice thrown upon you with regards to your race or something that has led you to be so touchy about the realities of race/demographics and marketing in the NFL. I also can't help it if you choose to be a sheeple. Your choice, my man. I will add, you're exactly what's wrong with America today. You've got to turn a simple conversation about demographics and marketing (as it relates to the NFL) into some race related anger issue you have; wow.

Have a drink and lighten up Francis. No one is going to touch any of your stuff....really! :lol:


Generally when someone uses the term “sheeple”, I immediately tune them out. Go back to figuring out how they faked the moon landing, or who was behind Pizzagate, or blame your lot in life on minorities. I’m sure some Asian kid kept you out of MIT.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1440
Laying the Wood wrote:
Generally when someone uses the term “sheeple”, I immediately tune them out. Go back to figuring out how they faked the moon landing, or who was behind Pizzagate, or blame your lot in life on minorities. I’m sure some Asian kid kept you out of MIT.


Yep, you win LTW. I'll promptly remove myself from the conversation another poster started.

I come to this sight to read and post about all thing Steelers, and NFL related topics. I'm comfortable with my track record of trying not to get into pissing contest with the posters that come here to police, argue, insult and be internet tough guys - just to compensate for their miserable lives. I've read enough of your posts and I should've of known better...my first mistake in responding to your unsolicited attack on me.

I'll be the bigger man here, and wish you all the luck you can get in your life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1678
USS Steelerworks wrote:
Polamlu has a good shot at being a first ballot HOFer but whether he makes it on the first try will depend on who is on the ballot with him at the time. There’s already a pretty decent backlog so I would say it’s not a slam dunk.

If I had to guess the biggest knock media members will use against him will be that he didn’t age well past age 30 and lacks the longevity that his HOF competition may have had. I don’t think that’s a reason to keep him out but I could see that being the justification for snubbing him on the first shot.

It's an interesting question. Here's a list of last year's finalists, plus upcoming eligibles (organized by my opinion):

Probably not getting in HOF:
Steve Atwater, S
Ronde Barber, CB/S
LeRoy Butler, S
Roger Craig, RB
Joe Jacoby, OT
Karl Mecklenburg, LB
Everson Walls, CB
Leslie O'Neal, DE
Simeon Rice, DE

Outside shot/unlikely any time soon:
Richard Seymour, DE/DT
Hines Ward, WR
Edgerrin James, RB
Ty Law, CB
Tony Boselli, OT

Should get in eventually:
Isaac Bruce, WR
Steve Hutchinson, G
Alan Faneca, G
Kevin Mawae, C/G
Torry Holt, WR
John Lynch, FS

2019: Tony Gonzalez, Ed Reed, Champ Bailey
2020: Troy Polamalu, Reggie Wayne, Patrick Willis

I'm not sure if Champ, Wayne, and Willis are necessarily first-ballot HOFers. Honestly, I'm not sure who should get in over Troy from that list.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4672
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
It's a shame Hines couldn't hold onto his media gig. Probably would have, along with some impressive highlights and a good story, would have put him into serious contention.

I'd like to elevate Atwater, but then I watch the Donnie Shell video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm
Posts: 745
Ice wrote:
It's a shame Hines couldn't hold onto his media gig. Probably would have, along with some impressive highlights and a good story, would have put him into serious contention.

I'd like to elevate Atwater, but then I watch the Donnie Shell video.


Polamalu is the best player on that list Pabst posted. He's certainly a first ballot guy.

If Reggie Wayne gets in, Ward should get in. Ward had more TDs than Wayne, won a Super Bowl MVP, suffered from having subpar QBs for the first half of his career, played outdoors in what was a run first offense for most of his career, didn't have a superstar like Marvin Harrison opposite of him until the very end of his career when AB came along (and that was before AB's prime), and was a more distinctive player (a vicious, hard blocking WR with a constant smile on his face for whom the league had to change the rules to protect poor defenseless LBs). Wayne is about as anonymous as an All Pro WR can be.

I think both Ward and Wayne are borderline Hall of Famers, but I just don't see them inducting Wayne and keeping out Ward (unless Ward falls victim to the "too many Steelers" school of thought). I also don't see a case for Holt, whose career wasn't quite as good as either Ward or Wayne.


Last edited by W&M_Steeler on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1678
On second thought, that's a good call on Holt. I doubt he gets in. I keep thinking his stats are on par with Bruce (they're not). I think what's going to kill Ward's chances is 1. The strength of the WR position in his era, and 2. The HOF's general disdain of WRs

I honestly can't see Patrick Willis getting in first ballot, either.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm
Posts: 745
Pabst wrote:
On second thought, that's a good call on Holt. I doubt he gets in. I keep thinking his stats are on par with Bruce (they're not). I think what's going to kill Ward's chances is 1. The strength of the WR position in his era, and 2. The HOF's general disdain of WRs

I honestly can't see Patrick Willis getting in first ballot, either.


I think Ward stacks up nicely compared to all his contemporaries but Moss/Owens/Harrison/Bruce, and, when his other accomplishments & attributes are considered, I think he's the strongest "Second tier elite" candidate. Other than that I can't think of other contemporary WRs from the late 90s / first decade of the 2000s who would be more deserving than Ward of enshrinement. Calvin Johnson will get in on the Terrell Davis exception, although his stats aren't quite as good as Ward's (albeit accumulated in fewer season). But Ward's stats stand up even against Andre Johnson. Ward is currently tied for 15th in all time Receiving TDs, and everyone above him has already been enshrined in the HoF except for Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez, and Isaac Bruce (and all of them will be inducted).

Ironically, I think that AB's emergence has hurt Ward's chances somewhat. Whereas no one has replaced Polamalu (and I doubt anyone will), AB has come in and out performed Ward, so Ward kind of gets forgotten about even in Pittsburgh. But I think that Ward definitely deserves serious HoF consideration.

EDIT: I forgot about Larry Fitzgerald. He'll be a Hall of Famer, possibly 1st ballot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3757
Quixotic wrote:
Obviously wrote:
franco>madden wrote:
Damn. That video brought tears to my eyes. Unreal how many fantastic plays Troy made -- got burned sometimes but overall his risk-taking paid off massively. His superhuman agility and strength didn't hurt either.

Not to mention his being a really good guy as well --

Polamalu's right up there with the handful of greatest Steelers of all time. HOFer all the way.


Since 2000, only him, Ben and Bettis should be in the all-time top 10 Steeler players.


Absolutely. And not sure about Bettis (which is not to say anything bad about Bettis—he just may not be a top ten all-time steeler).

Let’s see…Green, Blount, Bradshaw, Lambert, Webster, Swan, Stallworth, Franco, Woodson… that’s nine. Troy makes ten. So, who do you bump for Ben (BEN!) and Bettis? Man! We’ve gotten to watch some great players!

Then there was Eric Greene (a vile human, but he changed the TE position). Dirt Dawson—played center like an athletic guard. Also Shell, Ham, Greenwood… getting to a ten-best list would be challenging.


Green, Blount, Bradshaw, Lambert, Webster, Swan, Stallworth, Franco, Woodson… that’s nine. Troy makes ten. So, who do you bump for Ben ?

Blount, Bradshaw, Lambert, Webster, Swan, Stallworth, Franco, Woodson and Troy

Without the drafting of Ben, "One for the Thumb" t-shirts are still being sold. He's the key to the 2nd Super Bowl era like Greene was to the 1st. 2nd most important Steeler ever.


Last edited by Nick79 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Troy Polamalu, First ballot?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3757
Troy and Ben in consecutive years, best consecutive draft picks ever, or else 2nd to Greene and Bradshaw.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group