It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brew Drees
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:55 pm 

Did anyone else catch the pass that broke the record? Either it was staged or the Skins officially have a worse secondary than the Steelers because that looked as bad as it gets.

Post subject: Re: Brew Drees
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 pm 

Brees, Mahomes, and Rivers have been next level excellent this year.

You know what Philip Rivers passer rating this year for throws under pressure? 158.3. Perfecto. Guy plays 16 road games all year, has the lowest sack rate in the league despite being the 10th most pressured QB, is 36 and playing the best football of his life. Fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 pm 

And OF COURSE the refs flagged them for excessive celebration after he threw it.

This is the NFL after all, and we can’t let anyone be happy without immediately kicking over their sandcastle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:00 pm 

I saw it. I'm going to say the Redskins secondary is that bad because I can't imagine the Redskins throwing a game so that Brees can get the record.

They just said the Redskins do not have a second half TD yet this season, though they are on the goalline as I type. Yikes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:56 am 

i'm sure someone will eventually come in here with an argument to why Brees isn't really that great, but shit, just this season alone: 11 TDs, 0 INTs and a 78% completion percentage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:20 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
And OF COURSE the refs flagged them for excessive celebration after he threw it.

This is the NFL after all, and we can’t let anyone be happy without immediately kicking over their sandcastle.

did they really throw a flag after Brees and the team celebrated breaking the record?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:

did they really throw a flag after Brees and the team celebrated breaking the record?

Yes. Yes they did.

I think Brees is n excellent QB, and by all accounts a fine human. I think we were all cheated just a tiny bit by him building most of his career indoors, instead of out in the elements, playing football... if only because it makes comparisons from era to era and from HOF QB to HOF QB a little less apples to apples.

That the #1 and #2 yardage leaders both played most of their careers indoors and in the modern era of football is not a coincidence... and actually makes Favre's accomplishments kind of incredible, considering his flaws.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:

Yes, even though the announcers already knew ahead of time the family was coming down and the guy from the hall of fame was there with a certificate and white gloves and they were waiting for his jersey to take to Canton as well. The ref really fucked that one up pretty good. I mean if you are going to call that then they may have just gone ahead and thrown a delay of game penalty on the Saints every 40 seconds during the whole scene.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 am 

stillthere wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:

Yes, even though the announcers already knew ahead of time the family was coming down and the guy from the hall of fame was there with a certificate and white gloves and they were waiting for his jersey to take to Canton as well. The ref really fucked that one up pretty good. I mean if you are going to call that then they may have just gone ahead and thrown a delay of game penalty on the Saints every 40 seconds during the whole scene.

Will Roger fine this guy for walking onto the field and stopping the game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:17 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
Did anyone else catch the pass that broke the record? Either it was staged or the Skins officially have a worse secondary than the Steelers because that looked as bad as it gets.

I thought the fake was beautiful by Brees, Just enough to freeze Josh Norman.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:19 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:

Yes, what a complete joke. I couldn't believe it when they kicked off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:24 am 

This league is just so fucked up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:42 am 

Kinda of a YAWN to me. WIth this watered down NFL today built for racking up the passing yards, big deal. Would you be excited if they moved the fence in to 250ft in baseball and then some guy smashed the all time homerun record? Not to mention this is a 3 year old record. He didn't just break DiMaggio's hitting streak record set in '41. Get off my lawn bitch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:47 am 

R S wrote:
Kinda of a YAWN to me. WIth this watered down NFL today built for racking up the passing yards, big deal. Would you be excited if they moved the fence in to 250ft in baseball and then some guy smashed the all time homerun record? Not to mention this is a 3 year old record. He didn't just break DiMaggio's hitting streak record set in '41. Get off my lawn bitch.

agree.
Of the top 30 all time passing yards leaders.
Only two players finished their careers before 1980. Tarkenton and Unitas.

5 of the top 9 all time leading passers are still playing
and in about 3 years........9 of the top 10 all will all have played the majority of their careers after the year 2000.

They may all finish with twice as many yards as Bradshaw, Starr, Stabler, Namath, Dawson, Griese, Staubach, Layne, Graham, Van Broklin, etc....all HOF's

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:45 pm 

TB wrote:
Brees, Mahomes, and Rivers have been next level excellent this year.

You know what Philip Rivers passer rating this year for throws under pressure? 158.3. Perfecto. Guy plays 16 road games all year, has the lowest sack rate in the league despite being the 10th most pressured QB, is 36 and playing the best football of his life. Fucking awesome.

I agree TB. Whenever I lament that Ben just isn't consistent enough and ponder that it appears he doesn't work as hard at being the best QB his talents would allow him to be, I get the standard...."how do you know what Ben does or doesn't do?"

Brees and River are everything you want in an elite QB. Brees works as hard, if not harder, than anyone at being the best QB he can - even with his physical limitations. Rivers is the same way. He's a gym rat, coaches son and super football savvy from the neck up.

Ben, on the other hand, has more god gifted latent then both of them, more offensive weapons and a much better O line in front of him and he still seems to have "struggles" a lot of the time....wtf?

Look, I get it, I've been both blessed and cursed being a Steelers fan for life. Not that I had much choice - when Franco Harris hands you a Franco's IA seat cushion from a SB parade, as a kid, you're hooked for life, man! That being said, I want my QB, my leader, to be more dedicated than any of his peers. I want perfection or at least someone willing to strive for it while leaving no rock unturned.

I ask everyone this....could you imagine how god Ben could be if he had Brees' heart and extreme work ethic, combined with his own natural talent? I could easily see GOAT for Ben.

But, it is what it is, and I'll continue to root for him - all while biting my nails as we have years of playing half-assed ball against teams we should dominate....unlike Brees against WASH last night.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:53 pm 

Huge fan of Brees. Absolute class act.

I lived just about 2 hours outside of New Orleans back in 2006 when he first went there. Guy poured his heart and soul into that city and did a TON to help it in the aftermath of Katrina.

He's what every professional athlete should strive to be (pay attention, AB!).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:02 pm 

All valid points, but me thinks we are about to see Ben go on an absolute tear, starting Sunday at Cincy.

Reason I say that; after the boneheaded INT to end the half Sunday, Ben tossed the short TD to AB then the long TD to AB, and that was as animated I’ve seen Ben in what feels like forever.

I feel like the second half of the ATL game could be a big turning point in the season and maybe the idiotic pass in the end zone might have a silver lining to it.

Here comes the Grey.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:22 pm 

R S wrote:

Great post in that you referenced what I consider the greatest record in all of professional sports. What's even more astonishing is that he put together a 17-game hitting streak the day after he went hitless so he hit safely in 73 out of 74 games. Plus the dude put together a 61-game hitting streak in the minors (Pacific Coast League). No one will ever break it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:23 pm 

I have so much respect for Drew Brees. One of the most unselfish guys ever to dominate the game.

It’s incredible that a guy can quietly go through his career, and break career passing records.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:47 pm 

I challenge any of you to pick a great QB in the NFL and go back and watch every game of his as if his team was the team you root for with all your emotions. Microanalyze every missed throw or held ball. See if the playcalls or the receivers get more open or not.

Brees holds up pretty well, when examined like that, but few QBs get guys running that free and few get to play in perfect conditions like 75% of the time. Sean Payton may not be the best HC in the league, but he's a brilliant play designer and playcaller who is 100% all-in with his QB. He doesn't give a crap about running the ball, unless it is useful to score more points or make his QB' job easier. He never depends on his athletes getting open because of winning 1 on 1-- he works tirelessly to give his QB open looks.

I watched Aaron Rodgers this week, and he held the ball, made wildly inaccurate throws, failed to protect the football, made WTF throws, and basically gave away the game against an inferior opponent. If this were PackersFury, we'd all be talking about how great other QBs are.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I challenge any of you to pick a great QB in the NFL and go back and watch every game of his as if his team was the team you root for with all your emotions. Microanalyze every missed throw or held ball. See if the playcalls or the receivers get more open or not.

Brees holds up pretty well, when examined like that, but few QBs get guys running that free and few get to play in perfect conditions like 75% of the time. Sean Payton may not be the best HC in the league, but he's a brilliant play designer and playcaller who is 100% all-in with his QB. He doesn't give a crap about running the ball, unless it is useful to score more points or make his QB' job easier. He never depends on his athletes getting open because of winning 1 on 1-- he works tirelessly to give his QB open looks.

I watched Aaron Rodgers this week, and he held the ball, made wildly inaccurate throws, failed to protect the football, made WTF throws, and basically gave away the game against an inferior opponent. If this were PackersFury, we'd all be talking about how great other QBs are.

Having a dome to throw in or a HC/OC with the mind of Payton, McVay or Reid is not what I'm concerned with in regards to Ben. It's seeing (if you pay close enough attention to the details) that Ben hasn't committed himself to his craft as much as the other elite QBs I mentioned have. It's a waste of his ultimate talents, imo.

Like I said, I'm a spoiled lifelong Steelers fan; I demand a 100% attempt at perfection from my HOF QB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:12 pm 

Sean Payton, QB coach with the Eagles, Giants, Cowboys.

I wish we had that here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:31 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Didn't look legit to me. Looked like they laid down for it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Didn't look legit to me. Looked like they laid down for it.

I seriously doubt the Redskins just up and decided to let up a touchdown in a game that was still very much undecided, especially when Brees was pretty much guaranteed to get the record anyways.

Let's face it, the Steelers have given up TDs that looked just as bad over the past two seasons.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:58 pm 

DP39 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

Having a dome to throw in or a HC/OC with the mind of Payton, McVay or Reid is not what I'm concerned with in regards to Ben. It's seeing (if you pay close enough attention to the details) that Ben hasn't committed himself to his craft as much as the other elite QBs I mentioned have. It's a waste of his ultimate talents, imo.

Like I said, I'm a spoiled lifelong Steelers fan; I demand a 100% attempt at perfection from my HOF QB.

I think it's obvious that Ben has put in a TON of work on his craft. In terms of his understanding of the game and the precision of his execution, he is light years away from where he was in 2004, 2008, 2013, or even 2016. Some of his most glaring flaws are tied to some of his greatest strengths... I think anyone who's married can understand how you have to take it all to get the person you want to be with.

I think Ben is overly emotional... but the flip to that is he cares so much about winning. I'm going to say letting his emotions affect his choices on the field is his biggest issue. I think that makes him streaky, even within a single game. I think it's also a big part of his success.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:08 pm 

Quote:
@steelers
Ben Roethlisberger earned his 75th home win as a starter in his 101st home start on Sunday, the 4th-fewest home starts in NFL history to reach win No. 75. https://twitter.com/steelers/status/1049738905896046598

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:24 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@steelers
Ben Roethlisberger earned his 75th home win as a starter in his 101st home start on Sunday, the 4th-fewest home starts in NFL history to reach win No. 75. https://twitter.com/steelers/status/1049738905896046598

5th best home winning percentage of anyone with at least 94 starts in the Super Bowl Era, behind only Favre, Elway, Brady, Peyton... probably will catch everybody but Brady & Elway.
With one more win on the road this season, he'll be the third fastest to 63 road wins.

At the moment, he's tied with Drew Brees for 3rd most road wins of all time, behind on Peyton, Brady, & Favre.
Brady (135G, 92W)
Peyton (139G, 87W)
Favre (160G, 76W)
Ben (111G, 67W)
Brees (132G, 67W)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:16 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@steelers

5th best home winning percentage of anyone with at least 94 starts in the Super Bowl Era, behind only Favre, Elway, Brady, Peyton... probably will catch everybody but Brady & Elway.
With one more win on the road this season, he'll be the third fastest to 63 road wins.

At the moment, he's tied with Drew Brees for 3rd most road wins of all time, behind on Peyton, Brady, & Favre.
Brady (135G, 92W)
Peyton (139G, 87W)
Favre (160G, 76W)
Ben (111G, 67W)
Brees (132G, 67W)

Is this just regular season or with playoffs? just wondering.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:32 pm 

One of the most irritating things about all of these statistics is that they are only based on regular season games.

Favre, Manning, Brees. Would you really want to make an argument that they were the greatest of all time at their position?

Four championships between them, and Peyton was a passenger for one of those. Honestly, and I saw most of all of their careers, the only one I'd actually have plunked down money to watch is Favre.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:44 pm 

The ones I posted include postseason

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:11 pm 

Ice wrote:
One of the most irritating things about all of these statistics is that they are only based on regular season games.

Favre, Manning, Brees. Would you really want to make an argument that they were the greatest of all time at their position?

Four championships between them, and Peyton was a passenger for one of those. Honestly, and I saw most of all of their careers, the only one I'd actually have plunked down money to watch is Favre.

We'll get a firsthand view of Brees in the dome on 12/23. I'm not looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm 

Thanks, B2B. The national media very rarely does.

My point isn't that you shouldn't be worried about playing Brees. He's very efficient. So are the photocopiers at work and my hot water heater. I don't find myself entertained by them, either.

Favre, with whatever warts you'd like to include, wasn't a hot water heater.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
@steelers

Brady (135G, 92W)
Peyton (139G, 87W)
Favre (160G, 76W)
Ben (111G, 67W)
Brees (132G, 67W)

B2B, if you really think Ben puts in just as much time - into being the best QB he can - as Brees, Brady and Manning, then there's obviously nothing I can add to convince you he doesn't. My eyes, ears and gut tell me he doesn't though.

Again stats really have nothing to do with my concerns with Ben. It's the level of dedication that he shows me as it compares to the others I mentioned.

Ben is a lot like Favre I think; both relied more on their physical talent than preparation. Favre has even admitted that about himself. My opinion is that if Ben and Favre used their amazing talent and coupled that with an elite level of commitment to being the best QB they could be - like Brees, Brady and Manning - think how much more dominate they could've been, because their actual physical talents may be unmatched by the other mentioned.

Obviously, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 am 

NO defense is not good... so far, we're 2-1 vs non-top 5 defenses.

CLE #2... T
TB #32... W
KC #28... L
BAL #4... L
ATL #31. W

Out of the 11 remaining games, we have 3 games left vs defenses currently ranked in the top half of the league. (CLE, BAL, JAX). I'm going to say 2-1 in those three games.

In the other 8 games, we play the 18th, 19th, 20th, 20th, 22nd, 25th, 26th, and 29th ranked defenses. I suspect we'll be no worse than 5-3.

That would make the Steelers 9-6-1, most likely that gets a playoff spot. If we sweep CLE BAL & JAX + split with CIN... that seems like 10-5-1 and possibly a division title.