It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OK...trade Bell to the Eagles now
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:03 pm 

Bills entire offense is:
1. Shady McCoy
2. Chris Ivory
3. Josh Allen running the football

Bills are also 1 game out from being the #3 seed. Why would they trade their best offensive player? With that defense and run game, I think they have a decent chance to be 8-8. Trading McCoy would just be bailing on the season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:25 pm 

Eagles probably would be the team to get Bell.

1) They restructured
2) "Oh, no we're not interested in Bell."
3) "We could totally take McCoy though. Yeah. That's in no way a negotiating tactic to knock down his price or anything."

Philly offers a second. They get Bell. If they resign him, great (they won't). They let him walk and get a third round pick as comp. So, they "move down" 32 draft spots to get Bell for 7 games and a postseason run. Hell, I'd do that with that bum Ajayi still playing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:07 pm 

It's all predicated on Bell signing his tag in time for a team to trade for him. He has some leverage here, essentially a de facto no trade clause, and he's already said he "doesn't want too much wear put on his body this season," and how does agreeing to go to a team that predicated last year's offense on running the ball and now has no running backs keep his touches down?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:24 am 

Ice wrote:
It's all predicated on Bell signing his tag in time for a team to trade for him. He has some leverage here, essentially a de facto no trade clause, and he's already said he "doesn't want too much wear put on his body this season," and how does agreeing to go to a team that predicated last year's offense on running the ball and now has no running backs keep his touches down?

I agree with you. I gotta think losing almost a million bucks a week is starting to take its toll. I think his leverage is limited. Here's what else I think I know:

1. The trade deadline I believe is Tuesday of Week 8, which is the week after Bell wants to return to the team. I believe the Steelers don't want to pay him during a bye week. I don't know how much leverage they have in that. I do know there's that pesky two-week exemption list, which means more hacking at current-year pay at least. If Bell plays nice, he'll get that almost $2M.

2. If Bell signs the franchise tag in Week 7, it's worth $9.4M, which would allow the team to sign him to a transition tag of $11.3 (less than his $14.544M he'd be making this year). Now, I don't imagine the Steelers would lock Bell's career in limbo another season for their own sake (I wish they would), but at $11M, that's a no-brainer transition tag that OTHER teams (that he could be traded to this season) could also put on him. The longer he waits, the less money he could make in the next two seasons. This is mostly a negative aspect for Bell I think, as he's making himself a big target for that tag. However, if Bell intentionally waits until after the deadline to sign, yes, that's probably the greatest leverage he has, but he has also stated his intention to return Week 7. If he does sign before the deadline, I don't know if there's anything in a one-year franchise tag saying that Bell HAS to agree to a trade before it can proceed.

If I'm doing my math correctly with the above Week 7 signing, Bell would have lost about $9M (at least) from the salary the Steelers reportedly offered him this offseason when accounting for the money lost this year and the transition tag next year. Assuming the Steelers are dicks and slap the TT on him, two years from now, you think a 27-year-old Bell is still going to demand $15M? That probably won't happen. What the Steelers offered in both term and AAV won't happen either.That means more money down the drain. The Steelers are in a big position to just fuck him over here, more than he's fucked himself over, and I hope they do it.

If he waits until Week 9 to sign, I think he'd need to make about $16M a season to compensate for the money he lost already in the season and break even with the offseason offer the team gave him.

3. If Bell wants to preserve his body, Pittsburgh isn't the right call. The Eagles are a good example of not overusing a RB. Last year, Ajayi's snap counts were 24%, 20%, 28%, 41%, 46%, 50%, and 40%. I imagine Bell would see similar acclimating to the offense. Ajayi and Smallwood were 50/50 in snaps the game before he went down this season, so even a year removed, they're showing balance.

Compare that to a random stretch of games for Bell on the Steelers last year: 91%, 97%, 91%, 92%, 90%, 88%. The lowest snap count for Bell was Week 1 in 2017 (72%). The lowest it dropped after that point was 85%, excluding the Week 16 blowout of the Texans (75%) and Week 17 rest. One could argue Tomlin would "ease him in" and all that, but c'mon, we know that won't be the case, and the Steelers at this point probably won't be in a position to take Week 17 off.

I would say something in here about how Bell would love to play on a true Super Bowl contender like the Eagles, but let's be honest, he doesn't give two shits about football or winning.

It's really not a shock to me that Bell is telling people he wants to play again and for the Steelers. If he goes back and plays nice with them, they'll be dumbasses and sign him to a big extension or showcase his talents enough that other teams would do the same--all the while taking about 170 or so carries off his body. Basically, this is exactly what Le'veon would want. The Steelers should really play hardball here. He's basically boxed himself in over 500k-1M a year because he wants to live by that $15M number he said in some shitty rap lyric. He absolutely has no respect for the organization, and they've shown him too much respect in return through the drug suspensions, injuries, etc. By giving in and playing this game with Bell anymore, the Steelers are basically admitting they're an organization run by neutered cucks.

4. By trading Bell for a draft pick, even a low third round pick, the team is at least guaranteeing they will be receive an extra third round pick. It could be that the Steelers use the Bell money this offseason and sign free agent x,y, z, or all three and be ineligible for such a pick.

5. Boy, it seems like when the Steelers are committed to running the football, just about any guy back there can be successful (e.g., D'Angelo, Conner).