It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Connor and Bell Together = Oil and Water?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:57 pm 

Assuming all the pundits are correct and Bell is back week10ish, is there anyone on this board that thinks a Bell and Connor experiment won’t spell doom for team chemistry?

I am all for embracing the AND philosophy, but I personally just don’t see it working.

I don’t see splitting time between the two adding to the potency of the offense. I see it blowing up in our faces and being the cause for another playoff bust.

Call me old fashioned, but if Tomlin can orchestrate this into a positive for the offense, color me impressed!

I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole. I think by the time Bell gets here the Connor genie will be out of the bottle and a bonafide NFL star will have been born who will want and probably need his touches to be effective.

I guess all one can do is grab some popcorn!

Edit:

Perhaps returning week 7ish:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24863960/leveon-bell-set-report-steelers-week-7-8-frame

Last edited by LakecrestSteeler on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Connor and Bell Together = Oil and Water?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 pm 

Fire and Ice.

The power and ferocity that JC runs with.
The silky smoothness Bell runs with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:22 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Fire and Ice.

Ice, because Bell will be ice cold after being away from football all year. Maybe Fire and Rust would be a better comparison.

My concern is that the Offense will finally start to gel, then Bell will saunter back in, Tomlin will fall all over himself making Bell the centerpiece of the offense, then we'll have to suffer through Bell working himself back into game shape. Given the slow start and the tough schedule, that could make the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:45 pm 

Ajayi torn acl. I could see Philly going hard for Bell now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:14 pm 

JaySteel72 wrote:
Ajayi torn acl. I could see Philly going hard for Bell now.

Just saw that in the MNF show and thought the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:39 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Fire and Ice.

Nice to be mentioned so many times in a thread. I'd be fine with a trade to the Iggles if it could be made to work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 am 

If Steelers used both RB's, it could really wreck defenses. Their running styles are different, and that change of pace could really move the chains for them. I think a balance could be struck with both RB's that would make life difficult for DC's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:12 am 

44LetzRide wrote:
If Steelers used both RB's, it could really wreck defenses. Their running styles are different, and that change of pace could really move the chains for them. I think a balance could be struck with both RB's that would make life difficult for DC's.

this is real shit here. Both are hammers with completely different styles of getting there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:18 pm 

stillthere wrote:
44LetzRide wrote:

this is real shit here. Both are hammers with completely different styles of getting there.

Oh, it's shit alright, a shit sandwich.

The line has to block differently for a ultra patient back to be successful. That has been discussed ad nauseum. The line isn't going to flip a switch and hold blocks for one back to pussy foot around in the backfield and then adjust for a downhill runner that will make a hole if necessary. There is a huge difference between a scat-back and hammer combination in the back field and whatever Conner and Bell would be. I can't see how this would work well by committee. One of these two would be the starter and only come out for breathers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:12 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
stillthere wrote:
44LetzRide wrote:

Oh, it's shit alright, a shit sandwich.

The line has to block differently for a ultra patient back to be successful. That has been discussed ad nauseum. The line isn't going to flip a switch and hold blocks for one back to pussy foot around in the backfield and then adjust for a downhill runner that will make a hole if necessary. There is a huge difference between a scat-back and hammer combination in the back field and whatever Conner and Bell would be. I can't see how this would work well by committee. One of these two would be the starter and only come out for breathers.

Yeah...I gotta agree with this. It wouldn’t work. When Lev comes back, JC is going to the bench. It’ll be like he fell into a black hole.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:51 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Yeah...I gotta agree with this. It wouldn’t work. When Lev comes back, JC is going to the bench. It’ll be like he fell into a black hole.

I could be way off on this, but I just don't see Bell being as effective as in years past. I don't think he comes back in good enough shape to be back up to speed in 2-3 weeks. Very limited touches.

Here's my scenario: Bell spells JC 8-12 times a game for the first couple games. JC runs strong. Bell doesn't look so great. Third game, Tomlin splits the load and both get 20-25 carries. JC is still more impressive. Fourth game, Bell takes over and either hits a wall and gets supplanted by JC or takes over for the rest of the season. My bet is on JC ending up the starter at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:57 pm 

I think the Steelers trade Bell to the Eagles for a 2019 second and a 2020 sixth.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:20 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

I could be way off on this, but I just don't see Bell being as effective as in years past. I don't think he comes back in good enough shape to be back up to speed in 2-3 weeks. Very limited touches.

Here's my scenario: Bell spells JC 8-12 times a game for the first couple games. JC runs strong. Bell doesn't look so great. Third game, Tomlin splits the load and both get 20-25 carries. JC is still more impressive. Fourth game, Bell takes over and either hits a wall and gets supplanted by JC or takes over for the rest of the season. My bet is on JC ending up the starter at the end of the season.

That’s possible, but I can’t get past Tomlin’s love of Bell.