It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It is a shame we won't get to see what Conner can do...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:45 pm 

...over a full 16 game season.

When Bell signs his tender finally and reports to the team, the Steelers will play him of course. And then Conner and his production will take a hit. I don't mind that if they figure out some sort of 2 back attack, develop a nice rotation, keep both fresh and dangerous.

But, with that being said, it does make me wonder what Conner could do over a full season as the defacto starter as Bell was the past few seasons. Conner just finished his 5th start, he is still learning the pro game, what it takes to be a starting RB. I am amazed at his improved ability both in pass protection and as a receiver.

It takes time to develop those skills and he has developed rapidly in that regard. I feel that he will need time to develop as a runner too. People forget that Bell did not set the NFL on fire in his first 5 starts, he did average 3.5 yards a carry his first year as a starter, yes, he was a rookie but still it is a fair point. The jump that Bell made as a runner from year one to year two was significant.

So, I wonder what Conner would be like if he were to finish out this season, play these next 11 games as the starter, yes, he can be spelled some with Ridley or Samuels, but what would he look like at the end of 16 games? And what will he look like with another offseason, training camp, preseason? Might he not make another significant jump?

Anyway, first 5 starts and he has 5 TDs, at that pace he would end the season with 16 TDs.

He has 342 yards rushing and that would put him on a pace for almost 1,100 yards.

He has 22 catches good for 239 yards and a great 10.9 yards per catch. Over a 16 game season? That would be 70 catches for 765 yards.

Again, many of us are going to have to daydream about what Conner COULD have done this season. Not a bad problem to have though, Bell coming back and being able to pair him with Conner.

Post subject: Re: It is a shame we won't get to see what Conner can do...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:50 pm 

It's exactly like your argument about how the Steelers can score more by throwing to AB less. Exactly.

Even though Bell is a superior player in most respects, they'll lean too heavily on him when/if he returns.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:50 pm 

Scunge wrote:
...over a full 16 game season.

When Bell signs his tender finally and reports to the team, the Steelers will play him of course. And then Conner and his production will take a hit. I don't mind that if they figure out some sort of 2 back attack, develop a nice rotation, keep both fresh and dangerous.

But, with that being said, it does make me wonder what Conner could do over a full season as the defacto starter as Bell was the past few seasons. Conner just finished his 5th start, he is still learning the pro game, what it takes to be a starting RB. I am amazed at his improved ability both in pass protection and as a receiver.

It takes time to develop those skills and he has developed rapidly in that regard. I feel that he will need time to develop as a runner too. People forget that Bell did not set the NFL on fire in his first 5 starts, he did average 3.5 yards a carry his first year as a starter, yes, he was a rookie but still it is a fair point. The jump that Bell made as a runner from year one to year two was significant.

So, I wonder what Conner would be like if he were to finish out this season, play these next 11 games as the starter, yes, he can be spelled some with Ridley or Samuels, but what would he look like at the end of 16 games? And what will he look like with another offseason, training camp, preseason? Might he not make another significant jump?

Anyway, first 5 starts and he has 5 TDs, at that pace he would end the season with 16 TDs.

He has 342 yards rushing and that would put him on a pace for almost 1,100 yards.

He has 22 catches good for 239 yards and a great 10.9 yards per catch. Over a 16 game season? That would be 70 catches for 765 yards.

Again, many of us are going to have to daydream about what Conner COULD have done this season. Not a bad problem to have though, Bell coming back and being able to pair him with Conner.

When/if Bell returns and this team is clicking on offense then you use him to spell Conner every 3rd series or if one has a hot hand on a drive they get right back out there. "2 dogs one bone" as you may hear on this website or in a presser.

If we are out of the race and looking at decent draft pick then Conner gets to spell Bell every 3rd series.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:51 pm 

Even if Bell signs tomorrow, he will sit for a week or two. If Conner does has another game or two like this, Bell will either be traded or have his tag rescinded.

CIN game is huge. If we lose, you'll never see Bell play for PIT again. If we win, then it's still Conner's job to win.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:54 pm 

I was a staunch Bell defender until this off-season.

Now I’m done with it, like breaking up with a crazy girlfriend.

Steelers still trying to trade Bell said a couple stories today.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:58 pm 

If the Steelers are still in the hunt when Bell returns, he'll become the feature back.

Immediately.

Conner will play plenty, but Bell will become the starter.

They won't rescind his tag or trade him. They'll go all in for a final run.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:03 pm 

KC wrote:
If the Steelers are still in the hunt when Bell returns, he'll become the feature back.

Immediately.

If Bell becomes the reason that we win the superbowl then maybe he is worth more money than I am willing to see the Steelers pay him. I hope he is the Superbowl MVP and signs a huge deal. Just not with Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:07 pm 

Scunge is right. As soon as Bell steps through those doors he's the starter by default whether we like it or not. They're gonna get their carries outta him by having him 'earn' his game checks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:11 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Scunge is right. As soon as Bell steps through those doors he's the starter by default whether we like it or not. They're gonna get their carries outta him by having him 'earn' his game checks.

Yep...that and the fact that Tomlin is his biggest fan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:11 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
It's exactly like your argument about how the Steelers can score more by throwing to AB less. Exactly.

Even though Bell is a superior player in most respects, they'll lean too heavily on him when/if he returns.

It is funny, I still saw Ben forcing throws to Brown this game. That INT in the end zone, forced to Brown. That makes what, 4 INTs Ben has thrown when trying to force it to Brown? Many will look at this game and argue that they should throw it more and more to Brown. This game may look good for Ben/AB but you still look at all of the missed throws, the INT, etc. 6 of 13 for 101 yards and 2 TDs with 1 INT, that is what Ben was today passing to AB. That is still a woeful 46% completion percentage, still a passer rating of around 80, not that bad but not as good as his rating when throwing to JuJu, or Jesse James or even James Conner.

I am still very perplexed about not getting any production, or very little production out of that other outside WR position. Washington can't catch a break. I hope they don't do something stupid and call back Eli Rogers off of IR thinking that he will provide a spark.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:14 pm 

They need to sign Damoun Patterson. That kid has some mojo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:22 pm 

I agree B2B, Turf Toe is tough to come back from without missing a step.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:26 pm 

Make of this what you will Scunge. A quote from LJ Fort:
Quote:
@C_AdamskiTrib
LJ Fort: "It’s Blitzburgh, right? I don’t think Tomlin will ever be OK with just sending a four-man rush all game." https://twitter.com/C_AdamskiTrib/statu ... 9999924225

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:29 pm 

Quote:
That INT in the end zone, forced to Brown.

Awful decision by Ben. Second down and he tosses an alley oop into the EZ instead of just throwing it away and taking another shot on 3rd down.

Cost us points.

Bad Ben can rear his ugly head at any moment. All self inflicted. I’m

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:38 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Make of this what you will Scunge. A quote from LJ Fort:
Quote:
@C_AdamskiTrib
LJ Fort: "It’s Blitzburgh, right? I don’t think Tomlin will ever be OK with just sending a four-man rush all game." https://twitter.com/C_AdamskiTrib/statu ... 9999924225

You guys know I want a 4-3 but if we are to keep using this 3-4 they have to use blitzes and not be ashamed of it. I say embrace it and go nuts, but also match it with more man coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 pm 

KC wrote:

Immediately.

When Tomlin starts divying the rbs workload, let me know

Bell is gonna get HIS wheels run off when he returns
Bank it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:50 pm 

If they have Bell start when he returns, that tells me they will make a play for him in 2019. I don’t think anyone is sold on that scenario. If that is the case, then go ahead and start him.

However, do you spite Conner when he has been playing as well as Bell’s first season, and perhaps is in a grove by week 10? It becomes a dangerous short term play versus the smart long term play assuming Bell is gone in 2019. I am not sure I would take the gamble. You would be messing with the team’s chemistry quite significantly. I know the organization wants to strike during Ben’s window, but I think you would be messing with some serious team mojo at that point.

I’d stick with Connor the rest of the way unless you are going to make a serious offer. At this point, I think it is quite obvious that they should cash Bell in if at all possible for some defensive star(s).

And B2B is right on with the reminder...less AB and less Bell means more points with better and smarter distribution of the pill.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:28 am 

Stallworth16 wrote:
I was a staunch Bell defender until this off-season.

Now I’m done with it, like breaking up with a crazy girlfriend.

Steelers still trying to trade Bell said a couple stories today.

Yeah, a crazy, hot girlfriend that you spend way too much money on. You are so tired of her money grubbing and high expectations, but every time you look at her, you wonder how could you do better. She's hotter than all your friends' girls.

I mean, there are other girls you can talk to and they aren't half bad to look at. And they aren't all materialistic. But she's like an 11. But she's CRAZY.

Dude, pull the trigger and let her go. Spend your money on a 9. She might even be better than your 11 where it really counts, if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:38 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Even if Bell signs tomorrow, he will sit for a week or two. If Conner does has another game or two like this, Bell will either be traded or have his tag rescinded.

CIN game is huge. If we lose, you'll never see Bell play for PIT again. If we win, then it's still Conner's job to win.

At least you got it right about Bell sitting for a couple weeks once he signs. But he won't sign tomorrow. All signs point to him signing the week of the bye.

Bell being traded or rescinded has nothing to do with JC's performance over the next couple games.

And do you just pull this crap out of thin air? How could you possibly make the statement that a loss to Cincy would keep Bell from touching the ball in a Steeler uniform this year?

A trade will be determined by the scope of the trade, not by a loss to Cincy. Whatever you are smoking, give me some, because it MUST BE GOOD.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:26 am 

7forSteel wrote:
And do you just pull this crap out of thin air?

Honest question - is English not your native language? For starters, I didn't say Bell would be report tomorrow, I said "even if"....

Second, if we lose to CIN we are a very longshot to make the playoffs. Bell can't help you at that point, and they will take what they can get for him, even if that means simply rescinding the tag to save the cap.

And sure it matters what Conner does. He hasn't proven himself consistently yet. He could also get hurt while PIT is in the playoff hunt. You're stupid if you think Conner and PIT record doesn't factor into whether they want to rent Bell's service for $855k a week this year.

Take a deep breath, learn to read and think, and become less of an obnoxious idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:46 am 

Last edited by COR-TEN on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 am 

Kodiak wrote:
7forSteel wrote:

Honest question - is English not your native language? For starters, I didn't say Bell would be report tomorrow, I said "even if"....

Second, if we lose to CIN we are a very longshot to make the playoffs. Bell can't help you at that point, and they will take what they can get for him, even if that means simply rescinding the tag to save the cap.

And sure it matters what Conner does. He hasn't proven himself consistently yet. He could also get hurt while PIT is in the playoff hunt. You're stupid if you think Conner and PIT record doesn't factor into whether they want to rent Bell's service for $855k a week this year.

Take a deep breath, learn to read and think, and become less of an obnoxious idiot.
not defending the other poster, but you are the obnoxious idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:51 am 

KC wrote:

Immediately.

Just like DeAngelo played plenty after leading the NFL in rushing during Bell's suspension? Nah, If Bell plays he will take 99% of the carries. Connor might get one a game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 am 

Kodiak wrote:
7forSteel wrote:

Your routine blanket statements stating your opinions as facts just rub me the wrong way. You annoy me when you say definitively what will happen, as if your magic 8 ball is better than mine. So I apologize if it seems like I'm trolling you. I'd be happy to call BS on others if they tried to shovel nonsense like you do.

Getting back to your post, yes, English is my native language. I believe that is why your spin irks me so much.

You said, "Even if Bell signs tomorrow..." to which I replied, "But he won't..." That's a perfectly reasonable transition from your statement. I also said that signs point to the bye week. That is the major consensus at this point. And i can't see any version of reality where he signs on a Monday and comes into practice for a solid week unnecessarily.

We're a longshot to make the playoffs right now. Losing to Cincy just makes the challenge more daunting. But that doesn't lower Bell's expectations of himself or change what other GMs are willing to give up for him. Bell gets traded if another team determines THEY want a partial year rental at a steep price, not what our record is against the Bengals.

And lastly, Conner and Pitt's record didn't factor into them offering him a more than fair 3 year contract and subsequently tagging him. They were prepared, before the season started, to pay him $855M a game. In all likelihood, Bell shows up mid to late season and collects his game checks regardless of what JC is doing. Because the likelihood of a trade is slim.

Now you can be thin skinned and call me stupid all you want. I'm stating my opinions where they are opinions and facts where they are facts. And if I'm wrong about something, I'll admit it. You, on the other hand, are trying to pass opinion off as fact. Just because you have thousands of posts doesn't make your opinions any more credible. It just means you've spewed more garbage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:17 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
KC wrote:

Immediately.

Bank it

I would normally agree 100% but there are factors in play now that weren’t in the past.

For one: Conner has played pretty damn well. Both as a receiver and running the football. With this being Bell’s final season in Pittsburgh, it’s important the team learns exactly how good Conner can be. Secondly, Bell is concerned about workload. Don’t be surprised if we learn promises have already been made to Bell that his wheels won’t be run off. Lastly, if the Steelers continue to play like they did yesterday, Tomlin is going to want both guys healthy for a playoff run. No sense in getting Bell back only to have him beaten up and useless come playoff time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:40 am 

COR-TEN wrote:
not defending the other poster, but you are the obnoxious idiot.

LOL, I only respond in kind. There are many posters on this board that I have never had anything other than respectful and civil discussions, because they don't act like obnoxious idiots.

It's not that hard to go back and re-read something before lobbing insults because you didn't understand what you read.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:51 am 

7forSteel wrote:
Getting back to your post, yes, English is my native language. I believe that is why your spin irks me so much.

This is a pattern with you from Day 1. You have issues reading and understanding what people are saying that no one else has, and then you insult them for things that weren't said.

That's why I asked if English was your native language, because you don't appear to read things very carefully before responding.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:53 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Because Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:16 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
KC wrote:

Immediately.

Bank it

Bingo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 am 

KC wrote:

I would normally agree 100% but there are factors in play now that weren’t in the past.

For one: Conner has played pretty damn well. Both as a receiver and running the football. With this being Bell’s final season in Pittsburgh, it’s important the team learns exactly how good Conner can be. Secondly, Bell is concerned about workload. Don’t be surprised if we learn promises have already been made to Bell that his wheels won’t be run off. Lastly, if the Steelers continue to play like they did yesterday, Tomlin is going to want both guys healthy for a playoff run. No sense in getting Bell back only to have him beaten up and useless come playoff time.

To paraphrase Tomlin: I've seen way too many westerns to know that the Indian always ends up dead