It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Taller receivers are messing with Ben’s mind
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:51 pm 

955876 wrote:
Tomlin’s reaction on sideline right after shows he wasn’t on board.

Yet Ben continues to make these plays over and over. And I think it's because the HC himself isn't very good at situational football.

Maybe Tomlin tried to fine tune Ben's riverboat style and then finally just gave up. But the idea of throwing to AB if he's 1-on-1 even if he isn't open needs to be squashed.

I think if AB isn't at least 65% catch rate then you are forcing too many throws to him in tight coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:00 pm 

I think the AB jump ball is a case of AB chirping in Bens ear having an effect.

Catch or not at least AB can’t take to the internet this week and complain about not given the throws.

And I’m a big AB fan. Even deva AB.

Sometimes you have to prove in front of your and 10 million spectators why you get the ball every play

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:11 pm 

Maybe he saw how well the jump ball worked for Tampa Bay against steeler d.

Watching Ben's final years is, i'd imagine, something similar to what the Packers fans went through with Favre.

The ballsy gunslinger that did so much for your organization, you want to love everything he does on the field, but bouts of boneheadedness make you lose your mind. That + the retirement talk.

Hopefully Ben doesn't end his career on the Bengals. But then again, in this scenario I guess Mason Rudolph is Aaron rodgers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 pm 

Alibe wrote:
The Steelers have a number of receivers who are tall. MACdonald, Jesse James, JuJu..... AB is not and I think Ben is having a harder time making adjustment. Before there were a number of Smurfs. Not so this year. Ben has been throwing high to take advantage of the height advantage of a lot of his receivers. And AB and Ben are not in synch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 pm 

Quote:
Hopefully Ben doesn't end his career on the Bengals.

If he keeps making decisions like it’s his first year rather than his15th you might rethink that.

Especially if continues the trend of turning it over more than his counterpart in playoff games.

That’s losing football.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:32 pm 

bam morris wrote:
ben forcing throws to a blanketed brown cost them before half. maddening.

I literally put my forehead in my hand when I saw that pick. Cost us points.

Last edited by Havoc on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:22 am 

Havoc wrote:
I literally put my forehead in my hands when I saw that pick. Cost us points.

Ben is just like his HC. Doesn't spend time thinking about situational football, and doesn't spend time reflecting on mistakes. Those two are never going to win another championship.

Sad part is, I don't think it's either/or. Ben can still be Ben and not make some of the mind-blowing stupid decisions he gets burned on half a dozen times a year. Could have been significant if he just applied himself to clean that up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:47 am 

stillthere wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Interesting theory.

Who do you think shot JFK?
:lol:

The military/industrial complex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:12 pm 

The Steelers offense (ergo that includes Ben) has only failed to score a TD three times in the red zone this year, out of like 20 opportunities. I think at least a significant part of that success is that we're throwing into the end zone more in RZ, rather than throwing short of the sticks. There is an element of greater risk to that, and Ben gets some leeway, since he's been rather successful in the RZ... but two of the three failures were INTs on balls targeting AB.

I think the choice to lob up a jump ball to AB in that situation was an extremely poor one, but that's based more on the game situation that was 'AB likely to catch that ball' in a vacuum. I mean, Ben throws a jump ball that AB comes down with fairly high frequency, and AB usually makes a better play on the ball than he did in that situation. The bigger problems: getting a TD there wasn't do or die, we weren't going to get the ball back before the half, an INT thwarts some of the 1st half momentum, could have run for a few yards and maybe more. Wasn't worth the risk, even if he thought AB had a pretty good chance to catch it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:53 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
stillthere wrote:
Obviously wrote:
Interesting theory.

Who do you think shot JFK?
:lol:

The military/industrial complex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
The Steelers offense (ergo that includes Ben) has only failed to score a TD three times in the red zone this year, out of like 20 opportunities. I think at least a significant part of that success is that we're throwing into the end zone more in RZ, rather than throwing short of the sticks. There is an element of greater risk to that, and Ben gets some leeway, since he's been rather successful in the RZ... but two of the three failures were INTs on balls targeting AB.

I think the choice to lob up a jump ball to AB in that situation was an extremely poor one, but that's based more on the game situation that was 'AB likely to catch that ball' in a vacuum. I mean, Ben throws a jump ball that AB comes down with fairly high frequency, and AB usually makes a better play on the ball than he did in that situation. The bigger problems: getting a TD there wasn't do or die, we weren't going to get the ball back before the half, an INT thwarts some of the 1st half momentum, could have run for a few yards and maybe more. Wasn't worth the risk, even if he thought AB had a pretty good chance to catch it.

There is no explaining away a very poor decision to throw that pass. Same can be said of the First (?) interception at Cleveland. 2nd down throw it over the goal post and use what you just saw to help you. Throw incomplete on 3rd down if need be but keep the FG available. I get the whole in a vacuum angle but it is a fail of a football survey, IQ test, game brains, what ever phrase means making the right choice it was not the right choice to throw it and it was really not the right choice to throw that rainbow up in the middle of the endzone. I am gonna go with my gut on this one and not live in my fears as I sharpen iron and defend my blades of grass.