It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:59 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Lol Ben is a real shitbag.

He's saving those throws....they're not going anywhere this year

He's saving them for when Lev comes back. Lev needs 800 touches in the last 8 games of the season to have his best statistical year yet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:05 pm 

Ice wrote:
Team captains who are underperforming taking days off while the team sucks doesn't happen on championship contending teams. That goes for Pouncey and Haden as much as Ben, but he's the face of the team.

Ask anyone in the Penguins organization if Sidney Crosby, in the same position, would take that Coach's Day Off. I'd be willing to lay big money on the answer you'd get.

Crosby lives and breathes hockey. Football comparison you would say was Peyton Manning
You could never say that about Ben.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 pm 

Ice wrote:
Team captains who are underperforming taking days off while the team sucks doesn't happen on championship contending teams. That goes for Pouncey and Haden as much as Ben, but he's the face of the team.

Ask anyone in the Penguins organization if Sidney Crosby, in the same position, would take that Coach's Day Off. I'd be willing to lay big money on the answer you'd get.

This....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:11 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Ice wrote:

Crosby lives and breathes hockey. Football comparison you would say was Peyton Manning
You could never say that about Ben.

You could also very much say the same thing about Tom Brady.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 pm 

We are likely breeding a team full of shitheads counting the days till they have enough tenure to get the coveted “vet day off”.

If Ben thinks he can’t put in a full week of practice then freaking retire already...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:11 pm 

I think biggest catalyst in this whole shitstorm and the pervasive spoiled bratitude that permeates this entire organization can be summed up in two words:

"Coach's Decision"

Why anybody with half a brain cell would at this point in time have the tiniest shred of confidence in one of this coach's decisions just baffles me.

Just click the link in my sig to understand why I would feel that way, and please note, that was written OVER 4 YEARS AGO...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:12 pm 

If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:20 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
Part of what may be off is Ben also leads the league in giveaways. I read that the other day but I can't find the article and I don't really have a chance to verify whether the stat is accurate.

Tied with Carr, with one more than Dalton, Fitzpatrick, & Bradford and two more than a host of others. However, if you're laying the blame on Ben for those strip sacks... that's disingenuous.

I think all I was really doing was responding to why/how our qb could be leading the league in passing (or near the top) and the team still struggle to score in the 2nd half. I don't think turnovers are an unreasonable explanation. Of course, it would require someone to analyze whether the turnovers occurred in the 2nd half. I can't really remember and I'm not interested in researching.

I'll also add that I think the ravens haven't given up a 2nd half TD all year....which still doesn't explain the TB game and doesn't necessarily excuse the steeler offense. If you want to claim to be a good team, you should be able to outduel or match the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm 

Ice wrote:
If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.

I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:58 pm 

What really pisses me off is Ben came into camp looking like he was 25 again.

Not enough days in the week as far as reps for the starters.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:11 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:

I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.

I agree, it's preseason for the first four games of the season, and the last few years with underperforming Ravens and Bungles teams and the Broons being two gimme wins, it was pretty easy to get away with. Lose this game, and it starts to get really dicey.

Even with that said, the leader of the team needs to lead from the front. Ben can't simultaneously say he needs to play better, he isn't on the same page as anyone, etc., then take a day off at the first opportunity that presents itself. The optics for his teammates are terrible. And like I said, it's not just him. Pouncey is the leader on the oline, and hasn't been lighting the world on fire, either, and he gives himself a day off. I'll give Haden a pass cause of the injury. I'll also give AB some huge credit, because he's actually, you know, working to be better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:

3 playoff wins (one gifted, one against hapless Miami, and one against Alex Smiff) is solid evidence this isn’t helping them achieve said goal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:16 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Yep. Cowher [I think it was] once even stated that you can't get up for every game because you're mentally spent by the end of the season (Belicheat says hello).

Just not sure how taxing it is for a QB to take reps in practice.

Is Ben hurt worse than we know? No idea, but last year we made a lot of excuses for the way he was throwing the ball early in the year. I don't see the same this year, though, what I see is a wild deep ball but otherwise pretty accurate throwing.

I think the problem on offense really boils down to Identity. With this defense, and without Bell, they need to throw it 40-50 times a game and that is something that Tomlin just can't adjust to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:55 pm 

There you go, using the words "Tomlin" and "adjust" in the same sentence.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:42 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:

By December, this squad won't have a prayer of making the playoffs. They may have one victory (Browns, maybe) coming up in their next five games.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:39 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:

It’s wrong, and dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:13 am 

Obviously wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:

By December, this squad won't have a prayer of making the playoffs. They may have one victory (Browns, maybe) coming up in their next five games.

ATL is similar to us, and is also a winnable game imo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 am 

Hinestuff wrote:

ATL is similar to us, and is also a winnable game imo.

I hope you're right. I think Matty Ice is gonna pass all over them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:50 am 

https://www.patriots.com/news/new-england-patriots-postgame-transcripts-10-4

Quote:
Q: Tom Brady gave credit to Josh Gordon for how hard he was worked throughout the week. Is his touchdown catch tonight a reflection of his work ethic and ability to receive that kind of trust from Tom?

BB: Yeah, well, it was an extended play. It wasn't really the way we drew it up, but it ended up being an extended play with two great players making a great play. Josh has worked hard. Tom has spent extra time working with him and really all of the receivers, backs and tight ends, as well. It's good to see that hard work pay off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:54 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
https://www.patriots.com/news/new-england-patriots-postgame-transcripts-10-4

Quote:
Q: Tom Brady gave credit to Josh Gordon for how hard he was worked throughout the week. Is his touchdown catch tonight a reflection of his work ethic and ability to receive that kind of trust from Tom?

BB: Yeah, well, it was an extended play. It wasn't really the way we drew it up, but it ended up being an extended play with two great players making a great play. Josh has worked hard. Tom has spent extra time working with him and really all of the receivers, backs and tight ends, as well. It's good to see that hard work pay off.

Meanwhile Ben is at home playing Fortnite with his BROS.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:02 pm 

Some MT quotes from 2016.
Yes they are comments from 2 years ago, so not really fair, since Coaches learn, adapt and improve year after year.

Quote:
Mike Tomlin doesn't fully analyze the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice habits until after the season, but he said he does talk with players about them throughout the season.

Quote:
Tomlin said the Steelers don't do much reassessing of practices in the middle of the season, but toward the end of the year they take what he called a "global look" at practice and other issues.

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/10/steelers_tomlin_ben_practice.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:07 pm 

“Global look” HAHAHAHAHAHA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:09 pm 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936190/printable/ben-roethlisberger-backups-grateful-for-extra-reps

Quote:
A family vacation kept Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger away from the start of the team's organized team activities.

Roethlisberger returned Wednesday, but his earlier absences allowed backup quarterbacks Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs and rookie Mason Rudolph to secure additional repetitions during practice.

"I know those guys really enjoyed it, and they were thanking me for it," Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
"If Coach asked me to be here every day, I would be here every day, but they haven't asked me to do that," Roethlisberger said. "I've worked with Randy for eight years now, so it's not like he's a new guy just coming in that work is necessary. So, we've got a lot of same guys back on offense and a lot of the stuff is plays that we've been doing before a lot of guys got here, that I've been doing a long time."

If that's not a complacent quote, I do not know what is.

Thanking Ben for skipping beginning of OTA's. Thats what leaders do.
Would have prefered to hear Washington, MCDonald, JuJu, JJ, etc..........and some of the other young guys thanking Ben for spending extra time with them, instead of the back-up QB's.

Last edited by Stosh-67 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:20 pm 

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13731464-74/vacation-over-roethlisberger-returns-to-voluntary-steelers-practice

Since we have no clue what Ben does in the offseason and OTA, camp.......we can only go by what we know...........

Quote:
Fresh off a family vacation, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to the practice field Wednesday after missing the past seven voluntary offseason workouts.

He wondered what the fuss was all about.

Roethlisberger said the vacation was planned before the organized team activity schedule was released even though the Steelers historically hold OTAs on Tuesdays through Thursdays from mid-May until mid-June

So the team leader is scheduling vacations the same time these are held every year for the past 15 years. Nice message.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:27 pm 

Good gravy.