It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:34 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936190/printable/ben-roethlisberger-backups-grateful-for-extra-reps

Quote:
A family vacation kept Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger away from the start of the team's organized team activities.

Roethlisberger returned Wednesday, but his earlier absences allowed backup quarterbacks Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs and rookie Mason Rudolph to secure additional repetitions during practice.

"I know those guys really enjoyed it, and they were thanking me for it," Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
"If Coach asked me to be here every day, I would be here every day, but they haven't asked me to do that," Roethlisberger said. "I've worked with Randy for eight years now, so it's not like he's a new guy just coming in that work is necessary. So, we've got a lot of same guys back on offense and a lot of the stuff is plays that we've been doing before a lot of guys got here, that I've been doing a long time."

If that's not a complacent quote, I do not know what is.

Thanking Ben for skipping beginning of OTA's. Thats what leaders do.
Would have prefered to hear Washington, MCDonald, JuJu, JJ, etc..........and some of the other young guys thanking Ben for spending extra time with them, instead of the back-up QB's.

quote="Stosh-67"] https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13731464-74/vacation-over-roethlisberger-returns-to-voluntary-steelers-practice

Since we have no clue what Ben does in the offseason and OTA, camp.......we can only go by what we know...........

Quote:
Fresh off a family vacation, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to the practice field Wednesday after missing the past seven voluntary offseason workouts.

He wondered what the fuss was all about.

Roethlisberger said the vacation was planned before the organized team activity schedule was released even though the Steelers historically hold OTAs on Tuesdays through Thursdays from mid-May until mid-June

So the team leader is scheduling vacations the same time these are held every year for the past 15 years. Nice message.[/quote]

This is a case of the inmates running the asylum and the joker is in charge.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:35 pm 

Ben calls Tomlin
BR “Hey coach i’m going on vacation next week”
MT “Um 7 ...O.T.A’s are next week”
B.R” Two dogs one bone coach” click

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:47 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:
If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.

I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.

It’s wrong, and dumb.

This team could be out of the playoff hunt by the end of October!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:55 am 

Middle of October.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 pm 

Inmates running the asylum.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:25 pm 

cop1211 wrote:
Inmates running the asylum.

THAT'S IT!! NO MORE FUCKING PING PONG!!

-Mike Tomlin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:44 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
https://www.patriots.com/news/new-england-patriots-postgame-transcripts-10-4

Quote:
Q: Tom Brady gave credit to Josh Gordon for how hard he was worked throughout the week. Is his touchdown catch tonight a reflection of his work ethic and ability to receive that kind of trust from Tom?

BB: Yeah, well, it was an extended play. It wasn't really the way we drew it up, but it ended up being an extended play with two great players making a great play. Josh has worked hard. Tom has spent extra time working with him and really all of the receivers, backs and tight ends, as well. It's good to see that hard work pay off.

When you've adopted your coaches persona this is what results. I hate comparing coaches and QB's in the league. Since the cheats are the Gold standard I guess there's no other way of saying, Tomlin and Roethlisberger mirror each other really well. They talk a big game. Then they fail to back their talk. Then after game day? Well developed lines of bullshit that mean nothing to them and should mean nothing to the fanbase. 'I didn't do a good job'. 'I let my guys down'. 'The standard is the standard', 'we do what we do', defending blades of grass'..., oh and the newest of the captain cliche statements, 'Popcorn'. Instead of telling us what you think we need to hear..., show us that you really mean it by participating in everything football. By preparing For Every Team. Taking those extra steps to win. Not by attrition but by Dominance. Earn all that money instead of feeling entitled to it while being complacent.

Belicheat and marsha are my most hated duo in the league but at the same time my most appreciated. Why? At least they back their talk. Whether it's legitimately or by cheating they at least want to win. They do whatever it takes to make it happen. I do not see that in this current head coach or quarterback. Was it B2B that had the signature, 'whatever it takes'? That I believe was a Roethlisberger statement. Obviously it's much easier to spew the bullshit than to go out and prove it. In my many, many years as a Steelers fan I've not ever seen a worse coach/QB marriage on a competing team that has been in the same sentences as many of the championship teams of the past. Apparently those days are over with. As they seem content to simply show up [when they want] and go through the motions. This current team is an embarrassing disappointment. If you ask many Steeler fans they all seem to believe the same thing, neither Tomlin or Roethlisberger really wants to win it seems. They both resist and refuse to evolve with the most current trends in the NFL. And God Forbid they attempt to re-define them or better yet, for God's Sakes Invent new NFL trends. Sunday is huge. /Rant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:15 pm 

Whatever it takes was a Noll statement.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:01 pm 

I heard it being repeated by Ben in an interview last season. I'm sure the statement was/has been used a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:25 am 

https://theathletic.com/569227/2018/10/04/randy-fichtner-there-is-a-lot-of-good-communication-between-antonio-brown-and-ben-roethlisberger/

I don't have a subscription but this was what was available for preview.
Quote:

Randy Fichtner: “There is a lot of good communication” between Antonio Brown and Ben Roethlisberger
By Mark Kaboly Oct 4, 2018 2
Mason Rudolph stayed after practice to throw red-zone pass after red-zone pass to Antonio Brown in the near corner of the end zone inside UPMC Rooney Sports Complex’s practice facility.

A couple of times, Brown’s friend and personal videographer, Theo Smith, would help out in coverage raising his hands in front of Brown’s face. Even though none of them required a great deal of difficulty, Brown caught every pass.

Before reading too much into why it wasn’t Ben Roethlisberger throwing the passes to Brown following practice as a way to work out of a month-long funk that has been highlighted by an unusual amount of not-on-the-same-page throws, it was by Rudolph’s request.

“We don’t get a lot of work together, so we’ve been doing that the past couple weeks on a Thursday,” said Rudolph, who shared an embrace and a big laugh with Brown once they made their way across the parking lot and into the entrance of the...

So Mason has the ability to see that reps after practice or before practice are a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:12 am 

Mason Rudolph has stated that he has been to Peyton Manning's football camps, so yeah, he knows that reps are important.

This to me is why I think Rudolph will be fine once he becomes the starter. Yeah, maybe he will never have anything more than an average arm, but he will work hard to get every ounce out of his physical ability and nobody will prepare more than him. He is a football junkie, he eats, breathes, lives for football.

Back to Ben, it is what it is, he is not going to change now this late in his career. I think he is wrong of course. He needs to be there practicing throughout the week and there are so many new faces on offense that it makes no sense for him not to be there.

Ryan Switzer and rookie James Washington are new WRs. Jaylin Samuels is a new rookie RB. Switzer came late to the team by trade and did not have an offseason or training camp. Sort of similar to Vance Mcdonald last year, who speaking of which was hurt for most of the preseason. Stevan Ridley was signed late last season and this is his first full offseason/preseason with the team.

Those are a lot of new faces signed/drafted in the past year and Ben thinks it is okay to skip practice??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:30 am 

There's simply no excuse for this. Especially in light of how this season has unfolded to date. Ben is done. His whole attitude is nonchalant and ho-hum. Coach didn't ask me to practice? Really? That's your response? Retire already then. It shouldn't take your coaches request for you to be on the practice field every fucking chance you get. CBA has already limited those practices a lot and yet Ben still finds it acceptable to miss more. Questionable tactics. Questionable motive. Tomlin is worse knowing this and still obliging his overly complacent QB. Both are disappointments.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:39 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Coach didn't ask me to practice? Really? That's your response? Retire already then.

I would point out this is similar to the same passive-aggressive responses Ben gave about Haley and the offense.....then Haley's gone and Ben is talking about playing 5 more years and comes to camp in the best shape of his life.

I think most people who have had a shitty boss probably didn't make the same effort they were capable of, and probably even frequently asked themselves "why bother?".

Doesn't make it excusable or ok for Ben to not be more of a leader. But, as they say, the fish rots from the head first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:57 pm 

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/10/steelers-wednesday-injury-report-week-6-williams-back-practicing-heyward-bey-burnett-still-sidelined/

Quote:
Haden, Roethlisberger and Pouncey were all given veteran days off on Wednesday and so you can expect all three to return to practice on Thursday. As for Heyward-Bey and Burnett, both of whom missed the Sunday game against the Atlanta Falcons, it’s already looking like both will miss the game against the Bengals as well. Burnett, by the way, hasn’t played since Week 2.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 pm 

May as well let Burnett heal thru the bye.
.. and hope he comes back at 100% and can be that extra piece to the secondary that allows the defense to play some of those 7 DB packages we heard about..

Haden Burns
Davis Edmonds.
Hilton, Burnett and Sutton.