It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23253
Yep...Ben took it today. Sigh.

Wednesday, 10/3
QB Ben Roethlisberger (Coaches Decision) - DNP
K Chris Boswell (Left Foot) - Full
CB Joe Haden (Coaches Decision) - DNP
CB Mike Hilton (Elbow) - Full
S Morgan Burnett (Groin) - Limited
C Maurkice Pouncey (Coaches Decision) - DNP
WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Ankle) - DNP
LB Vince Williams (Hamstring) - DNP

Atlanta Falcons Participation/Injury Report, Week 5
Wednesday, 10/3
OLB Vic Beasley Jr. (Ankle) - Limited
RB Tevin Coleman (Shin) - Limited
RE Devonte Freeman (Knee) - Limited
LB Foyesade Oluokun (Ankle) - Limited
WR Mohamed Sanu (Hip) - Limited
DE Derrick Shelby (Groin) - Limited
CB Justin Bethal (Knee) - DNP
DT Grady Jarrett (Ankle/Knee) - DNP
WR Julio Jones (Hand/Ankle) - DNP

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4672
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
It appears that nobody on the 1-3 Falcons took a "coaches decision" day off, unless they aren't publishing them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 pm
Posts: 1089
yeah, and this fucking team is supposed to get better with guys sitting and shooting the shit instead of playing and kicking ass!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4060
Times are good at the South Side Country Club. I’m not concerned. They’ll get their practice reps in during the 1st quarter on Sunday then take a Vet “Half Off” for the 3rd and 4th quarters.

This team has a leadership problem.

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:22 am
Posts: 204
Quote:
“I’m not on the same page with anybody right now,”

_________________
"Split your line up like James Farrior..."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4166
Wonder if he can play a turnover free game this week.

What a joke these guys have become.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8881
Lol Ben is a real shitbag.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
Orangesteel wrote:
Lol Ben is a real shitbag.


He's saving those throws....they're not going anywhere this year

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 5394
Ben has always seemed to think he can just walk on to field and be the best football player once the opening kickoff comes.

And most times that has worked.

Just wish he would have put more into improving his game in...

-The offseason
-OTAs
-Camp
-Preseason
-Pre-game
-During game
-Film study
-Between games.....

Once again, he will pass up the extra available time to make himself and his teamates better and leave it to Sundays to improve on their performance.

Monday a day of healing and films.
Tuesday is players day off.
Wednesday is the Vet day off.
Half the week is gone by Thursday....

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:11 pm
Posts: 1704
Unless Ben has a legit arm injury then taking the vet day off this week is just pathetic.

Unless they are using it to speed up the post Ben era by getting the young guys reps. Should the case be that they are getting reps to the youngsters then go ahead and start one of them. Take the money you get from Ben, Bell, Dupree, DHB, Shazier coming off the books, Foster coming off the books next year and go into free agency with about 50-60 million to spend in free agency and retool this thing along with a top 5 pick next spring.

I cannot believe they are giving guys rest days when we could very well be 3 games from .500 this weekend only 5 games into the season. This team better come out with some fire lit under their asses this week. If they come out with the same effort we saw all of September then they can go ahead and bring all the youth in and see if those guys want to compete. I would rather get beat with players that are going all out than watch guys go through the motions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6733
Because Tomlin

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1409
Stosh-67 wrote:
Ben has always seemed to think he can just walk on to field and be the best football player once the opening kickoff comes.

And most times that has worked.

Just wish he would have put more into improving his game in...

-The offseason
-OTAs
-Camp
-Preseason
-Pre-game
-During game
-Film study
-Between games.....

Once again, he will pass up the extra available time to make himself and his teamates better and leave it to Sundays to improve on their performance.

Monday a day of healing and films.
Tuesday is players day off.
Wednesday is the Vet day off.
Half the week is gone by Thursday....


Stosh, you have no clue what Ben does or does not do throughout the season and offseason.

I agree he should not be taking the Wednesday off each week but I think it's weird fans saying things like this, yet they have no idea what a pro athlete puts in to their livelihood. Carry on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 pm
Posts: 1089
Hinestuff wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:
Ben has always seemed to think he can just walk on to field and be the best football player once the opening kickoff comes.

And most times that has worked.

Just wish he would have put more into improving his game in...

-The offseason
-OTAs
-Camp
-Preseason
-Pre-game
-During game
-Film study
-Between games.....

Once again, he will pass up the extra available time to make himself and his teamates better and leave it to Sundays to improve on their performance.

Monday a day of healing and films.
Tuesday is players day off.
Wednesday is the Vet day off.
Half the week is gone by Thursday....


Stosh, you have no clue what Ben does or does not do throughout the season and offseason.

I agree he should not be taking the Wednesday off each week but I think it's weird fans saying things like this, yet they have no idea what a pro athlete puts in to their livelihood. Carry on.


I get what you're saying Hines, BUT when half the week is over and these guys haven't even stepped on the field yet to practice, one can surmise the reason as to why things aren't "clicking" is lack of field time. By Ben's own admission, he is not in sync with anyone. The only way to get in "sync" is to practice with them. That leaves just Thursday and Friday to really practice as Saturday is reserved for a walk through for Sunday's game. I don't know about you, but if I only had two days to work on my craft, I would probably suck at it - like this team does!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13506
Quote:
Vet Day off
The Epitaph for this season.... :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4672
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Vet Day off
The Epitaph for this season.... :roll:


Sadly, truer words never spoken. Sitting in front of the press on Sunday complaining something isn't happening, and then literally the FIRST opportunity to go out and physically try to fix the issue, you sit on your ass and watch. You want to know why this team is hard to like? Fans might still care more than they do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1897
I guess I just need clarification before I rush to a judgement. What do these terms mean?

DNP, does that mean he did not practice? Or that Ben, Haden and Pouncey were there at practice, just not performing in drills, but were there for meetings, communicating on the field/sidelines?

I can understand if Haden is still nursing that hamstring and the coaches want to be careful with it, but maybe he is there in some capacity? This secondary needs to fix the communication issues, if we are having practices during the week and Haden is not there at all for a practice, then that is just as concerning to me as Ben not being there.

Same with Pouncey, this O-line is not really playing with great efficiency.

If Josh Dobbs is your backup QB, wouldn't it be beneficial for him to get real comfortable with the starting Center? Taking the snap from center, taking snaps from Pouncey in the Shotgun, etc. If Ben is not practicing then Dobbs should get quality time with the first team offensive line. But even Pouncey is not practicing?

You look at all of the youth on the offensive side of the ball. Forget about the timing being off between Ben and Brown. How is James Washington or Jaylin Samuels ever going to get going if they are working out more with Dobbs in practice during the week then Ben? In practice Ben can work with these players, learn their tendencies, how they like the football placed, and vice versa, Ben can get to know these young players and they can learn what Ben likes.

This stuff just seems so bush league to me, I don't know how Tomlin is allowing this to take place. Or Rooney for that matter.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4251
BarryFoster wrote:
Because Tomlin

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8881
Scunge wrote:
I guess I just need clarification before I rush to a judgement. What do these terms mean?

DNP, does that mean he did not practice? Or that Ben, Haden and Pouncey were there at practice, just not performing in drills, but were there for meetings, communicating on the field/sidelines?

I can understand if Haden is still nursing that hamstring and the coaches want to be careful with it, but maybe he is there in some capacity? This secondary needs to fix the communication issues, if we are having practices during the week and Haden is not there at all for a practice, then that is just as concerning to me as Ben not being there.

Same with Pouncey, this O-line is not really playing with great efficiency.

If Josh Dobbs is your backup QB, wouldn't it be beneficial for him to get real comfortable with the starting Center? Taking the snap from center, taking snaps from Pouncey in the Shotgun, etc. If Ben is not practicing then Dobbs should get quality time with the first team offensive line. But even Pouncey is not practicing?

You look at all of the youth on the offensive side of the ball. Forget about the timing being off between Ben and Brown. How is James Washington or Jaylin Samuels ever going to get going if they are working out more with Dobbs in practice during the week then Ben? In practice Ben can work with these players, learn their tendencies, how they like the football placed, and vice versa, Ben can get to know these young players and they can learn what Ben likes.

This stuff just seems so bush league to me, I don't know how Tomlin is allowing this to take place. Or Rooney for that matter.


IIRC, Ben’s absence in Wednesday’s practice is always listed as “DNP - coaches decision”, but I’m not sure if he’s actually at the facilities or not.

If Pouncey is listed the same, I have every reason to believe he too is getting a vet day off (though through 4 games I’ve seen some shitty blocking and some bad snaps from Pouncey, two things he could be working on at a Wednesday practice).

Whoever called it the South Side Country Club is spot on. I have little hope for Washington and Samuels this season; if Ben can’t hit AB in stride right now, how is he going to do so with two guys he never gets reps with?

I’m almost confident Ben leads the league in passing yards through four weeks, which makes the fact that we haven’t scored in the second half in 3 out of 4 games almost incomprehensible.

Something is seriously off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23253
For me, it’s not even that I believe one extra day of practice would significantly improve Ben’s game (although every extra rep you can get can’t hurt IMO).

It’s the message it sends. On Sunday after a shitty performance, when I hear “I’m not in sync with anybody”, and it's followed by being a healthy practice scratch on Wednesday, that’s just shitty optics.

And in my mind, speaks to Ben’s desire.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am
Posts: 900
Orangesteel wrote:

I’m almost confident Ben leads the league in passing yards through four weeks, which makes the fact that we haven’t scored in the second half in 3 out of 4 games almost incomprehensible.

Something is seriously off.


Part of what may be off is Ben also leads the league in giveaways. I read that the other day but I can't find the article and I don't really have a chance to verify whether the stat is accurate.

I also don't think it's true that they haven't scored in 2nd half of 3 games, I think it's only the last 2. Pretty sure they came out and scored a couple TD's in browns 3rd quarter before deciding to shut it down and secure the lead (oops).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8881
Miter Saw wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

I’m almost confident Ben leads the league in passing yards through four weeks, which makes the fact that we haven’t scored in the second half in 3 out of 4 games almost incomprehensible.

Something is seriously off.


Part of what may be off is Ben also leads the league in giveaways. I read that the other day but I can't find the article and I don't really have a chance to verify whether the stat is accurate.

I also don't think it's true that they haven't scored in 2nd half of 3 games, I think it's only the last 2. Pretty sure they came out and scored a couple TD's in browns 3rd quarter before deciding to shut it down and secure the lead (oops).


You are correct, sir. My bad. I think I was thinking that because the browns tie might have been the longest most agonizing Steeler game I’ve ever watched :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16267
Miter Saw wrote:
Part of what may be off is Ben also leads the league in giveaways. I read that the other day but I can't find the article and I don't really have a chance to verify whether the stat is accurate.

Tied with Carr, with one more than Dalton, Fitzpatrick, & Bradford and two more than a host of others. However, if you're laying the blame on Ben for those strip sacks... that's disingenuous.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1440
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
Part of what may be off is Ben also leads the league in giveaways. I read that the other day but I can't find the article and I don't really have a chance to verify whether the stat is accurate.

Tied with Carr, with one more than Dalton, Fitzpatrick, & Bradford and two more than a host of others. However, if you're laying the blame on Ben for those strip sacks... that's disingenuous.


It depends, I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I remembered counting to something like 5-6 Mississippi during some of those. (Maybe I'm thinking of just sacks he's taken.) But, if that's the case, then one could certainly blame Ben for holding onto the ball (inside the pocket) way too long.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16267
DP39 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
Part of what may be off is Ben also leads the league in giveaways. I read that the other day but I can't find the article and I don't really have a chance to verify whether the stat is accurate.

Tied with Carr, with one more than Dalton, Fitzpatrick, & Bradford and two more than a host of others. However, if you're laying the blame on Ben for those strip sacks... that's disingenuous.


It depends, I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I remembered counting to something like 5-6 Mississippi during some of those. (Maybe I'm thinking of just sacks he's taken.) But, if that's the case, then one could certainly blame Ben for holding onto the ball (inside the pocket) way too long.

Two of the strip sacks vs CLE were the moment he turned his head up field. S Decastro whiff and a Pouncey bad snap. At least one and probably two of the INTs in that game were good throws.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4672
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Team captains who are underperforming taking days off while the team sucks doesn't happen on championship contending teams. That goes for Pouncey and Haden as much as Ben, but he's the face of the team.

Ask anyone in the Penguins organization if Sidney Crosby, in the same position, would take that Coach's Day Off. I'd be willing to lay big money on the answer you'd get.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm
Posts: 205
Kodiak wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Lol Ben is a real shitbag.


He's saving those throws....they're not going anywhere this year


He's saving them for when Lev comes back. Lev needs 800 touches in the last 8 games of the season to have his best statistical year yet.

_________________
You're never as good as you think you are, or as bad as they say you are.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4407
Ice wrote:
Team captains who are underperforming taking days off while the team sucks doesn't happen on championship contending teams. That goes for Pouncey and Haden as much as Ben, but he's the face of the team.

Ask anyone in the Penguins organization if Sidney Crosby, in the same position, would take that Coach's Day Off. I'd be willing to lay big money on the answer you'd get.


Crosby lives and breathes hockey. Football comparison you would say was Peyton Manning
You could never say that about Ben.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4166
Ice wrote:
Team captains who are underperforming taking days off while the team sucks doesn't happen on championship contending teams. That goes for Pouncey and Haden as much as Ben, but he's the face of the team.

Ask anyone in the Penguins organization if Sidney Crosby, in the same position, would take that Coach's Day Off. I'd be willing to lay big money on the answer you'd get.


This....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4672
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Ice wrote:
Team captains who are underperforming taking days off while the team sucks doesn't happen on championship contending teams. That goes for Pouncey and Haden as much as Ben, but he's the face of the team.

Ask anyone in the Penguins organization if Sidney Crosby, in the same position, would take that Coach's Day Off. I'd be willing to lay big money on the answer you'd get.


Crosby lives and breathes hockey. Football comparison you would say was Peyton Manning
You could never say that about Ben.


You could also very much say the same thing about Tom Brady.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4166
We are likely breeding a team full of shitheads counting the days till they have enough tenure to get the coveted “vet day off”.

If Ben thinks he can’t put in a full week of practice then freaking retire already...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:41 pm
Posts: 974
I think biggest catalyst in this whole shitstorm and the pervasive spoiled bratitude that permeates this entire organization can be summed up in two words:

"Coach's Decision"

Why anybody with half a brain cell would at this point in time have the tiniest shred of confidence in one of this coach's decisions just baffles me.

Just click the link in my sig to understand why I would feel that way, and please note, that was written OVER 4 YEARS AGO...

_________________
http://steelerfury.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=365&p=14295#p14295


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4672
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am
Posts: 900
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:
Part of what may be off is Ben also leads the league in giveaways. I read that the other day but I can't find the article and I don't really have a chance to verify whether the stat is accurate.

Tied with Carr, with one more than Dalton, Fitzpatrick, & Bradford and two more than a host of others. However, if you're laying the blame on Ben for those strip sacks... that's disingenuous.


I think all I was really doing was responding to why/how our qb could be leading the league in passing (or near the top) and the team still struggle to score in the 2nd half. I don't think turnovers are an unreasonable explanation. Of course, it would require someone to analyze whether the turnovers occurred in the 2nd half. I can't really remember and I'm not interested in researching.

I'll also add that I think the ravens haven't given up a 2nd half TD all year....which still doesn't explain the TB game and doesn't necessarily excuse the steeler offense. If you want to claim to be a good team, you should be able to outduel or match the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16267
Ice wrote:
If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.

I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1409
What really pisses me off is Ben came into camp looking like he was 25 again.

Not enough days in the week as far as reps for the starters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4672
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:
If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.

I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.


I agree, it's preseason for the first four games of the season, and the last few years with underperforming Ravens and Bungles teams and the Broons being two gimme wins, it was pretty easy to get away with. Lose this game, and it starts to get really dicey.

Even with that said, the leader of the team needs to lead from the front. Ben can't simultaneously say he needs to play better, he isn't on the same page as anyone, etc., then take a day off at the first opportunity that presents itself. The optics for his teammates are terrible. And like I said, it's not just him. Pouncey is the leader on the oline, and hasn't been lighting the world on fire, either, and he gives himself a day off. I'll give Haden a pass cause of the injury. I'll also give AB some huge credit, because he's actually, you know, working to be better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4166
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:
If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.

I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.


3 playoff wins (one gifted, one against hapless Miami, and one against Alex Smiff) is solid evidence this isn’t helping them achieve said goal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.


Yep. Cowher [I think it was] once even stated that you can't get up for every game because you're mentally spent by the end of the season (Belicheat says hello).

Just not sure how taxing it is for a QB to take reps in practice.

Is Ben hurt worse than we know? No idea, but last year we made a lot of excuses for the way he was throwing the ball early in the year. I don't see the same this year, though, what I see is a wild deep ball but otherwise pretty accurate throwing.

I think the problem on offense really boils down to Identity. With this defense, and without Bell, they need to throw it 40-50 times a game and that is something that Tomlin just can't adjust to.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4672
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
There you go, using the words "Tomlin" and "adjust" in the same sentence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4251
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:
If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.

I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.


By December, this squad won't have a prayer of making the playoffs. They may have one victory (Browns, maybe) coming up in their next five games.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8881
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:
If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.

I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.


It’s wrong, and dumb.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1409
Obviously wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Ice wrote:
If Ben told Tomlin he wanted to practice (or Pounce, or Haden for that matter), do you think he'd stop him? Where Tomlin is guilty here is setting the precedent that this is allowed. Ben (or Pounce or Haden or whoever), from week to week, decides whether or not to take advantage of that precedent.

I think they–– as an organization from top to bottom-- value being fresh & healthy later in the year and playing the best in December more than they value the extra practice days now. They're convinced that this achieves that goal, whether right or wrong.


By December, this squad won't have a prayer of making the playoffs. They may have one victory (Browns, maybe) coming up in their next five games.


ATL is similar to us, and is also a winnable game imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 pm
Posts: 4251
Hinestuff wrote:

ATL is similar to us, and is also a winnable game imo.


I hope you're right. I think Matty Ice is gonna pass all over them.

_________________
Because Tomlin.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 5394
https://www.patriots.com/news/new-england-patriots-postgame-transcripts-10-4

Quote:
Q: Tom Brady gave credit to Josh Gordon for how hard he was worked throughout the week. Is his touchdown catch tonight a reflection of his work ethic and ability to receive that kind of trust from Tom?

BB: Yeah, well, it was an extended play. It wasn't really the way we drew it up, but it ended up being an extended play with two great players making a great play. Josh has worked hard. Tom has spent extra time working with him and really all of the receivers, backs and tight ends, as well. It's good to see that hard work pay off.

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8881
Stosh-67 wrote:
https://www.patriots.com/news/new-england-patriots-postgame-transcripts-10-4

Quote:
Q: Tom Brady gave credit to Josh Gordon for how hard he was worked throughout the week. Is his touchdown catch tonight a reflection of his work ethic and ability to receive that kind of trust from Tom?

BB: Yeah, well, it was an extended play. It wasn't really the way we drew it up, but it ended up being an extended play with two great players making a great play. Josh has worked hard. Tom has spent extra time working with him and really all of the receivers, backs and tight ends, as well. It's good to see that hard work pay off.


Meanwhile Ben is at home playing Fortnite with his BROS.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 5394
Some MT quotes from 2016.
Yes they are comments from 2 years ago, so not really fair, since Coaches learn, adapt and improve year after year.

Quote:
Mike Tomlin doesn't fully analyze the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice habits until after the season, but he said he does talk with players about them throughout the season.


Quote:
Tomlin said the Steelers don't do much reassessing of practices in the middle of the season, but toward the end of the year they take what he called a "global look" at practice and other issues.


https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2016/10/steelers_tomlin_ben_practice.html

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8881
“Global look” HAHAHAHAHAHA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 5394
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936190/printable/ben-roethlisberger-backups-grateful-for-extra-reps

Quote:
A family vacation kept Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger away from the start of the team's organized team activities.

Roethlisberger returned Wednesday, but his earlier absences allowed backup quarterbacks Landry Jones, Josh Dobbs and rookie Mason Rudolph to secure additional repetitions during practice.

"I know those guys really enjoyed it, and they were thanking me for it," Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette


Quote:
"If Coach asked me to be here every day, I would be here every day, but they haven't asked me to do that," Roethlisberger said. "I've worked with Randy for eight years now, so it's not like he's a new guy just coming in that work is necessary. So, we've got a lot of same guys back on offense and a lot of the stuff is plays that we've been doing before a lot of guys got here, that I've been doing a long time."


If that's not a complacent quote, I do not know what is.

Thanking Ben for skipping beginning of OTA's. Thats what leaders do.
Would have prefered to hear Washington, MCDonald, JuJu, JJ, etc..........and some of the other young guys thanking Ben for spending extra time with them, instead of the back-up QB's.

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Last edited by Stosh-67 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 5394
https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13731464-74/vacation-over-roethlisberger-returns-to-voluntary-steelers-practice

Since we have no clue what Ben does in the offseason and OTA, camp.......we can only go by what we know...........

Quote:
Fresh off a family vacation, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger returned to the practice field Wednesday after missing the past seven voluntary offseason workouts.

He wondered what the fuss was all about.

Roethlisberger said the vacation was planned before the organized team activity schedule was released even though the Steelers historically hold OTAs on Tuesdays through Thursdays from mid-May until mid-June


So the team leader is scheduling vacations the same time these are held every year for the past 15 years. Nice message.

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8881
Good gravy.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group