LB Foyesade Oluokun (Ankle) - Limited
WR Mohamed Sanu (Hip) - Limited
DE Derrick Shelby (Groin) - Limited
CB Justin Bethal (Knee) - DNP
DT Grady Jarrett (Ankle/Knee) - DNP
WR Julio Jones (Hand/Ankle) - DNP

Post subject: Re: Vet Day off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:26 pm 

It appears that nobody on the 1-3 Falcons took a "coaches decision" day off, unless they aren't publishing them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:16 pm 

yeah, and this fucking team is supposed to get better with guys sitting and shooting the shit instead of playing and kicking ass!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:29 pm 

Times are good at the South Side Country Club. I’m not concerned. They’ll get their practice reps in during the 1st quarter on Sunday then take a Vet “Half Off” for the 3rd and 4th quarters.

This team has a leadership problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 pm 

Quote:
“I’m not on the same page with anybody right now,”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:30 pm 

Wonder if he can play a turnover free game this week.

What a joke these guys have become.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:12 pm 

Lol Ben is a real shitbag.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:23 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Lol Ben is a real shitbag.

He's saving those throws....they're not going anywhere this year

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:41 am 

Ben has always seemed to think he can just walk on to field and be the best football player once the opening kickoff comes.

And most times that has worked.

Just wish he would have put more into improving his game in...

-The offseason
-OTAs
-Camp
-Preseason
-Pre-game
-During game
-Film study
-Between games.....

Once again, he will pass up the extra available time to make himself and his teamates better and leave it to Sundays to improve on their performance.

Monday a day of healing and films.
Tuesday is players day off.
Wednesday is the Vet day off.
Half the week is gone by Thursday....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:46 am 

Unless Ben has a legit arm injury then taking the vet day off this week is just pathetic.

Unless they are using it to speed up the post Ben era by getting the young guys reps. Should the case be that they are getting reps to the youngsters then go ahead and start one of them. Take the money you get from Ben, Bell, Dupree, DHB, Shazier coming off the books, Foster coming off the books next year and go into free agency with about 50-60 million to spend in free agency and retool this thing along with a top 5 pick next spring.

I cannot believe they are giving guys rest days when we could very well be 3 games from .500 this weekend only 5 games into the season. This team better come out with some fire lit under their asses this week. If they come out with the same effort we saw all of September then they can go ahead and bring all the youth in and see if those guys want to compete. I would rather get beat with players that are going all out than watch guys go through the motions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:34 am 

Because Tomlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:56 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Ben has always seemed to think he can just walk on to field and be the best football player once the opening kickoff comes.

-The offseason
-OTAs
-Camp
-Preseason
-Pre-game
-During game
-Film study
-Between games.....

Once again, he will pass up the extra available time to make himself and his teamates better and leave it to Sundays to improve on their performance.

Stosh, you have no clue what Ben does or does not do throughout the season and offseason.

I agree he should not be taking the Wednesday off each week but I think it's weird fans saying things like this, yet they have no idea what a pro athlete puts in to their livelihood. Carry on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:19 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:

-The offseason
-OTAs
-Camp
-Preseason
-Pre-game
-During game
-Film study
-Between games.....

Stosh, you have no clue what Ben does or does not do throughout the season and offseason.

I agree he should not be taking the Wednesday off each week but I think it's weird fans saying things like this, yet they have no idea what a pro athlete puts in to their livelihood. Carry on.

I get what you're saying Hines, BUT when half the week is over and these guys haven't even stepped on the field yet to practice, one can surmise the reason as to why things aren't "clicking" is lack of field time. By Ben's own admission, he is not in sync with anyone. The only way to get in "sync" is to practice with them. That leaves just Thursday and Friday to really practice as Saturday is reserved for a walk through for Sunday's game. I don't know about you, but if I only had two days to work on my craft, I would probably suck at it - like this team does!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:47 am 

Quote:
Vet Day off
The Epitaph for this season.... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:58 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
Vet Day off
The Epitaph for this season.... :roll:

Sadly, truer words never spoken. Sitting in front of the press on Sunday complaining something isn't happening, and then literally the FIRST opportunity to go out and physically try to fix the issue, you sit on your ass and watch. You want to know why this team is hard to like? Fans might still care more than they do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am 

I guess I just need clarification before I rush to a judgement. What do these terms mean?

DNP, does that mean he did not practice? Or that Ben, Haden and Pouncey were there at practice, just not performing in drills, but were there for meetings, communicating on the field/sidelines?

I can understand if Haden is still nursing that hamstring and the coaches want to be careful with it, but maybe he is there in some capacity? This secondary needs to fix the communication issues, if we are having practices during the week and Haden is not there at all for a practice, then that is just as concerning to me as Ben not being there.

Same with Pouncey, this O-line is not really playing with great efficiency.

If Josh Dobbs is your backup QB, wouldn't it be beneficial for him to get real comfortable with the starting Center? Taking the snap from center, taking snaps from Pouncey in the Shotgun, etc. If Ben is not practicing then Dobbs should get quality time with the first team offensive line. But even Pouncey is not practicing?

You look at all of the youth on the offensive side of the ball. Forget about the timing being off between Ben and Brown. How is James Washington or Jaylin Samuels ever going to get going if they are working out more with Dobbs in practice during the week then Ben? In practice Ben can work with these players, learn their tendencies, how they like the football placed, and vice versa, Ben can get to know these young players and they can learn what Ben likes.

This stuff just seems so bush league to me, I don't know how Tomlin is allowing this to take place. Or Rooney for that matter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
Because Tomlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:58 am 

Scunge wrote:
I guess I just need clarification before I rush to a judgement. What do these terms mean?

DNP, does that mean he did not practice? Or that Ben, Haden and Pouncey were there at practice, just not performing in drills, but were there for meetings, communicating on the field/sidelines?

I can understand if Haden is still nursing that hamstring and the coaches want to be careful with it, but maybe he is there in some capacity? This secondary needs to fix the communication issues, if we are having practices during the week and Haden is not there at all for a practice, then that is just as concerning to me as Ben not being there.

Same with Pouncey, this O-line is not really playing with great efficiency.

If Josh Dobbs is your backup QB, wouldn't it be beneficial for him to get real comfortable with the starting Center? Taking the snap from center, taking snaps from Pouncey in the Shotgun, etc. If Ben is not practicing then Dobbs should get quality time with the first team offensive line. But even Pouncey is not practicing?

You look at all of the youth on the offensive side of the ball. Forget about the timing being off between Ben and Brown. How is James Washington or Jaylin Samuels ever going to get going if they are working out more with Dobbs in practice during the week then Ben? In practice Ben can work with these players, learn their tendencies, how they like the football placed, and vice versa, Ben can get to know these young players and they can learn what Ben likes.

This stuff just seems so bush league to me, I don't know how Tomlin is allowing this to take place. Or Rooney for that matter.

IIRC, Ben’s absence in Wednesday’s practice is always listed as “DNP - coaches decision”, but I’m not sure if he’s actually at the facilities or not.

If Pouncey is listed the same, I have every reason to believe he too is getting a vet day off (though through 4 games I’ve seen some shitty blocking and some bad snaps from Pouncey, two things he could be working on at a Wednesday practice).

Whoever called it the South Side Country Club is spot on. I have little hope for Washington and Samuels this season; if Ben can’t hit AB in stride right now, how is he going to do so with two guys he never gets reps with?

I’m almost confident Ben leads the league in passing yards through four weeks, which makes the fact that we haven’t scored in the second half in 3 out of 4 games almost incomprehensible.

Something is seriously off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:11 am 

For me, it’s not even that I believe one extra day of practice would significantly improve Ben’s game (although every extra rep you can get can’t hurt IMO).

It’s the message it sends. On Sunday after a shitty performance, when I hear “I’m not in sync with anybody”, and it's followed by being a healthy practice scratch on Wednesday, that’s just shitty optics.

And in my mind, speaks to Ben’s desire.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:51 am 

Orangesteel wrote:

I’m almost confident Ben leads the league in passing yards through four weeks, which makes the fact that we haven’t scored in the second half in 3 out of 4 games almost incomprehensible.

Part of what may be off is Ben also leads the league in giveaways. I read that the other day but I can't find the article and I don't really have a chance to verify whether the stat is accurate.

I also don't think it's true that they haven't scored in 2nd half of 3 games, I think it's only the last 2. Pretty sure they came out and scored a couple TD's in browns 3rd quarter before deciding to shut it down and secure the lead (oops).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Part of what may be off is Ben also leads the league in giveaways. I read that the other day but I can't find the article and I don't really have a chance to verify whether the stat is accurate.

I also don't think it's true that they haven't scored in 2nd half of 3 games, I think it's only the last 2. Pretty sure they came out and scored a couple TD's in browns 3rd quarter before deciding to shut it down and secure the lead (oops).

You are correct, sir. My bad. I think I was thinking that because the browns tie might have been the longest most agonizing Steeler game I’ve ever watched :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:

Tied with Carr, with one more than Dalton, Fitzpatrick, & Bradford and two more than a host of others. However, if you're laying the blame on Ben for those strip sacks... that's disingenuous.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:46 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:

Tied with Carr, with one more than Dalton, Fitzpatrick, & Bradford and two more than a host of others. However, if you're laying the blame on Ben for those strip sacks... that's disingenuous.

It depends, I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I remembered counting to something like 5-6 Mississippi during some of those. (Maybe I'm thinking of just sacks he's taken.) But, if that's the case, then one could certainly blame Ben for holding onto the ball (inside the pocket) way too long.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:16 pm 

DP39 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Miter Saw wrote:

It depends, I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I remembered counting to something like 5-6 Mississippi during some of those. (Maybe I'm thinking of just sacks he's taken.) But, if that's the case, then one could certainly blame Ben for holding onto the ball (inside the pocket) way too long.

Two of the strip sacks vs CLE were the moment he turned his head up field. S Decastro whiff and a Pouncey bad snap. At least one and probably two of the INTs in that game were good throws.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:55 pm 

Team captains who are underperforming taking days off while the team sucks doesn't happen on championship contending teams. That goes for Pouncey and Haden as much as Ben, but he's the face of the team.

Ask anyone in the Penguins organization if Sidney Crosby, in the same position, would take that Coach's Day Off. I'd be willing to lay big money on the answer you'd get.