It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: More Steelers off the field BS
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:47 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Obviously wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
I have a feeling this season is going to be a circus on the south side. I hate to jump to conclusions so early but it's starting to look like this team is already lacking focus and discipline.

We lack discipline both on and off the field. It's a shame for a team loaded with talent.

Because Tomlin

What's your definition of discipline? Where does it manifest itself? What can Tomlin do to fix it?

Discipline: the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior.

Based on the textbook definition of discipline, 12 penalties for 116 yards does not constitute discipline (Obey rules). Threatening to assault a reporter does not constitute discipline. (Code of Behavior).

In the NFL, lack of discipline manifests it self from lack of focus, improper teaching, lack of personal responsibility, and/or lack of control from leadership.

Tomlin can fix this by actually being tougher on these guys for falling out of line. Notice how certain, very successful teams, rarely have people falling out of line :Cough: New England :Cough:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:59 pm 

Becoming more like the Raider organization yearly....inmates running the asylum.
7forSteel wrote:
Then it's official.
#15-0-1 #runthewheelsoff #grandpastenniselbow

Already called it 7... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10758&p=397772#p397772
Steelafan77 wrote:
Yeah, they could still go 14-1-1 right?! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:27 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
um, I don't think we can go undefeated and lose the #1 seed to NE or JAX

Not even Mike Tomlin could manage that.

Yeah...of course I forgot we play the Jags this season.

Maybe we can tie them too...lol!

Or the Pats...so they go 15-0-1 and we go 14-0-2...lol!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:31 pm 

You can't be a bedwetter if you simply don't care anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:42 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
7forSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
um, I don't think we can go undefeated and lose the #1 seed to NE or JAX

Not even Mike Tomlin could manage that.

Then it's official.
#15-0-1 #runthewheelsoff #grandpastenniselbow

Actually... if the Patriots and Jags tie today and the Steelers tie each of them...

Pats & Jags 15-0-1
Steelers 13-0-3

That's what NFL records used to look like before overtime was instituted in the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:43 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

You are certainly welcome not to watch the Steelers.

I'm still looking for a good season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 pm 

Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

Then why are you here?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:42 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Obviously wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
I have a feeling this season is going to be a circus on the south side. I hate to jump to conclusions so early but it's starting to look like this team is already lacking focus and discipline.

We lack discipline both on and off the field. It's a shame for a team loaded with talent.

Because Tomlin

What's your definition of discipline? Where does it manifest itself? What can Tomlin do to fix it?

Definition of discipline - what StillerInCT said.

Where does it manifest itself:
- AB Facebook Live
- Le'veon Bell Twitter
- Mike Mitchell trashtalking
- Unpreparedness for big games - AFCCG vs. Pats, last year's Jax regular season and playoff games - examples

What can Tomlin do to fix it:
- Not let the inmates run the asylum
- Instruct players to keep things in house and jettison those players who don't (good start with Mitchell although I don't think Tomlin had any choice there)
- Do not let players lose focus of upcoming game - clearly a problem prior to Jax playoff game

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:33 am 

Obviously wrote:

Definition of discipline - what StillerInCT said.

Where does it manifest itself:
- AB Facebook Live
- Le'veon Bell Twitter
- Mike Mitchell trashtalking
- Unpreparedness for big games - AFCCG vs. Pats, last year's Jax regular season and playoff games - examples

What can Tomlin do to fix it:
- Not let the inmates run the asylum
- Instruct players to keep things in house and jettison those players who don't (good start with Mitchell although I don't think Tomlin had any choice there)
- Do not let players lose focus of upcoming game - clearly a problem prior to Jax playoff game

No disagreement with anything being said about discipline.

But it really comes down to accountability. That's one of Tomlin's greatest flaws. No one is held accountable. AB tweets from the locker room and Tomlin deals with it...in the press briefing. He brushes it off and talks about focus...on what's ahead.

That's his mantra, ignore all the problems swirling around his team and always be focused on what is yet to come. Unfortunately, all those problems are distracting everyone else from focusing on what's ahead. They're still dealing with what's happening right now.

The fix seems pretty straight forward. Put your team on blast. To a man, with no exceptions, they will be held accountable for their actions. The list of "actions detrimental to the team" is going to make the affordable care act documents look like a haiku. And when you slip up, you're going to lose money, and if the infraction warrants it, playing time. It's basically a giant "douchebag jar".

AND it must apply to himself as well. "The standard is the standard" has never applied to him and that's horseshit. If we lose a game, he needs to explain what he didn't do right and what he is going to do different. I'm not a big Nick Saban fan, but 'bama could win 56-3 and he would still be looking at what improvements need to be made. Maybe Mike doesn't have to go that far, but taking a tie against the Browns on the chin would be a start.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:01 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:

You are certainly welcome not to watch the Steelers.

I'm still looking for a good season.

See that's my whole argument for being sour grapes gyst. I'm Not looking for any [new] reason. Every season either or both the Steelers and the NFL present reasons to dislike and encourage disassociation from their product. Modification of already questionable enforced rules. Playing down to your opponent. Inmates running the asylum. Suspect officiating influencing game results. Those are the top four for me. Do I complain about them like a hater? Yes. I don't want to find more reasons for walking away from football. Love to see the ones I've listed reduced/eliminated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:20 am 

I am an Antonio Brown fan....He was wrong.

With all that said.

I wish the Steelers would do the absolute minimum with the media. I mean the very least.

Its not 1965 anymore. The need for a conduit between the fans and players is not needed.

95% of pro players have social media...The other 5% most likely want to be left alone.

If you need someone to break things down or tell you what to think...That is a personal problem

With the new CBA coming up...I think the NFLPA should push for the old standards of locker room access. (Players don't have to talk to the media...Teams have to make 3 players available during the week{I would make the punter long snapper and 53rd man on the roster available}...Players don't have to speak to anyone post game)

My 2 cents

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:07 pm 

7forSteel wrote:
But it really comes down to accountability. That's one of Tomlin's greatest flaws. No one is held accountable. AB tweets from the locker room and Tomlin deals with it...in the press briefing. He brushes it off and talks about focus...on what's ahead.

That's his mantra, ignore all the problems swirling around his team and always be focused on what is yet to come. Unfortunately, all those problems are distracting everyone else from focusing on what's ahead. They're still dealing with what's happening right now.

The fix seems pretty straight forward. Put your team on blast. To a man, with no exceptions, they will be held accountable for their actions. The list of "actions detrimental to the team" is going to make the affordable care act documents look like a haiku. And when you slip up, you're going to lose money, and if the infraction warrants it, playing time. It's basically a giant "douchebag jar".

AND it must apply to himself as well. "The standard is the standard" has never applied to him and that's horseshit. If we lose a game, he needs to explain what he didn't do right and what he is going to do different. I'm not a big Nick Saban fan, but 'bama could win 56-3 and he would still be looking at what improvements need to be made. Maybe Mike doesn't have to go that far, but taking a tie against the Browns on the chin would be a start.

Insert slow clap gif here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:10 pm 

FC wrote:
With the new CBA coming up...I think the NFLPA should push for the old standards of locker room access. (Players don't have to talk to the media...Teams have to make 3 players available during the week{I would make the punter long snapper and 53rd man on the roster available}...Players don't have to speak to anyone post game)

All interesting points. But I think the league wants strong personalities to market the product. I can't see Roger caving on less media access.

That next CBA is going to be a war. You have the issue you raised, but also the issue of how Goodell handles discipline. And, of course, the banning and testing for marijuana. Along with that other issue that shall not be mentioned.

At least a couple of these things shouldn't matter, but I see Goodell leveraging those to screw the players out of money.