It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:53 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
This was so inexcusable that Fitchner or Tomlin failed to give the backup at least one series.

It really is dumb. Players get tired, especially early in the year and in an OT game. Why wouldn't a RB get tired?

The bigger issue is if your RB goes down late in the year (or the playoffs) and you have no one with carries behind him. This has actually happened with Bell.....TWICE.....and Tomlin still hasn't learned his lesson.

If Samuels probably won't touch the ball this year, or possibly even next year, then why did we spend a draft pick on a running back?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:00 pm 

I think the steelers have moved on from lev bell. Samuels and Conner and/ or somebody else or a combination is the future.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Conner was the one telling them to keep feeding him the ball. It's not like he's sure he'll be around. I'd want as many NFL Snaps as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:10 pm 

Conner didn't run the same after his shin/lower leg got dinged up. It was a dumb decision not to give one of the other backs some work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:39 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I think the steelers have moved on from lev bell. Samuels and Conner and/ or somebody else or a combination is the future.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Conner was the one telling them to keep feeding him the ball. It's not like he's sure he'll be around. I'd want as many NFL Snaps as possible.

Agree on both counts, and it's up to the coaching staff to keep track of it and limit as needed.

#FreeSTD
#Obviously

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:40 am 

Steelergenie wrote:
One of the biggest surprises and one that has been talked about all week is the Steelers’ decision to not relieve Conner. Besides one carry by Ryan Switzer, Conner received all of the running back duties, and one has to wonder if the Steelers were better off relieving their running back in order to preserve his legs for the entirety of Sunday’s game.

A look at Conner’s splits by quarter may give a better indicator of perhaps his stamina, or lack of stamina as the game progressed.

First quarter: 4.4 yards per carry

Second quarter: 8.0 yards per carry

Third quarter: 8.0 yards per carry

Fourth quarter: 2.3 yards per carry

Overtime: 1.3 yards per carry

Conner’s yards per carry nose dived after the third quarter, as the running back tallied 102 yards and averaged 6.8 yards per carry. From the fourth quarter on, this number fell to 33 yards and just 2.1 yards per carry. The running back also picked up just one first down from the fourth quarter on, losing effectiveness as the game continued and conditions worsened.

The final carries of Conner’s afternoon went for -2, 3, 2, 2 and 1 yard respectfully. One has to wonder if the Steelers will plan to incorporate Stevan Ridley or Jaylen Samuels more into the game for a drive or series just to ease Conner’s workload should he be needed to close out a contest.

JC needed spelled, that's for certain. No argument there.

But those splits are misleading. He was most effective when we were balanced. In the fourth quarter, we were using heavy packages, trying to chew clock. (I'm assuming that's what we were doing...I really have no idea) When you put one receiver out there and load up the box, you're going to get a stacked defense as a result. When they expect you to run and you run, your average per carry is going to suffer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:48 am 

7forSteel wrote:
Steelergenie wrote:
One of the biggest surprises and one that has been talked about all week is the Steelers’ decision to not relieve Conner. Besides one carry by Ryan Switzer, Conner received all of the running back duties, and one has to wonder if the Steelers were better off relieving their running back in order to preserve his legs for the entirety of Sunday’s game.

A look at Conner’s splits by quarter may give a better indicator of perhaps his stamina, or lack of stamina as the game progressed.

First quarter: 4.4 yards per carry

Second quarter: 8.0 yards per carry

Third quarter: 8.0 yards per carry

Fourth quarter: 2.3 yards per carry

Overtime: 1.3 yards per carry

Conner’s yards per carry nose dived after the third quarter, as the running back tallied 102 yards and averaged 6.8 yards per carry. From the fourth quarter on, this number fell to 33 yards and just 2.1 yards per carry. The running back also picked up just one first down from the fourth quarter on, losing effectiveness as the game continued and conditions worsened.

The final carries of Conner’s afternoon went for -2, 3, 2, 2 and 1 yard respectfully. One has to wonder if the Steelers will plan to incorporate Stevan Ridley or Jaylen Samuels more into the game for a drive or series just to ease Conner’s workload should he be needed to close out a contest.

JC needed spelled, that's for certain. No argument there.

But those splits are misleading. He was most effective when we were balanced. In the fourth quarter, we were using heavy packages, trying to chew clock. (I'm assuming that's what we were doing...I really have no idea) When you put one receiver out there and load up the box, you're going to get a stacked defense as a result. When they expect you to run and you run, your average per carry is going to suffer.

I agree with your point 7, except I say those splits are telling. Those splits are more a reflection of how we ran the offense.