It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:32 pm 

Quote:
Gerry Dulac
✔ @gerrydulac
OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."
Horseshit! How in the hell are you going to say something so arbitrary and expect fans to believe you? You know who the fuck is on your roster, who's active and who's not. Laughable!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:38 pm 

Steelergenie wrote:
No wonder our backs have nothing left in the tank come playoff time.

Can't really buy this, 3 of the last 4 playoff games for Bell he has been a monster, has also had huge games late in the season last few years as well (Buff and Balt xmas day game come to mind) the one bad playoff game he had was the Pats when he got injured...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Exactly. Which is why...
"OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."

...is pure bullshit

What this tells you is somewhere, the coaching staff is getting heat for the run the wheels off philosophy because on Sunday after the game, both Tomlin and Fichtner were intimating Connor getting all the carries was by design.

The refusal to have any sort of RB rotation is a longstanding Tomlin problem. Remember, in 2014 it caused LeGarrette Blount to force himself off the team due to his lack of playing time, which resulted in Tomlin never signing an adequate backup- why bother, because he wasn't going to be playing anyways- and leaving us with no one after Bell was injured against the Bengals. We went into the Ravens game stating Ben Tate, a street free agent, and were completely without a running game. Looking back on it, that series of events was what made me first start questioning Tomlin and his judgment.

Le'veon Bell's holdout has finally put this Tomlin quirk into the spotlight. The fact that Tomlin & Co. couldn't resist giving Conner 36 touches when everyone was taking notice of this issue only served to highlight the depth of the problem. Now that it's being questioned publicly by a media that usually gives Tomlin a free pass, he's making his OC fall on his sword. I'm convinced that Tomlin doesn't think that he did anything wrong and has never second guessed his "run their wheels off" philosophy.

Last edited by W&M_Steeler on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:49 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Again, focus on how the line has changed as opposed to what was said and take that as a sign of heat being applied from somewhere.

On Sunday the line was, from both Tomlin and Fichtner, “Connor can take all those carries...he gets stronger with all those carries”.

On Thursday we’re hearing “My bad...I should have been rotating the other guys in”.

Something has changed in those four days.

The media coverage of the issue- spurred on and amplified by the ramifications the "run the wheels off" philosophy has on the Bell holdout- has made the Rooneys take notice, so Tomlin's having his assistant fall on his sword. Pretty petty move by Tomlin, but I guess he's unused to media criticism.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:26 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Again, focus on how the line has changed as opposed to what was said and take that as a sign of heat being applied from somewhere.

On Sunday the line was, from both Tomlin and Fichtner, “Connor can take all those carries...he gets stronger with all those carries”.

On Thursday we’re hearing “My bad...I should have been rotating the other guys in”.

The media coverage of the issue- spurred on and amplified by the ramifications the "run the wheels off" philosophy has on the Bell holdout- has made the Rooneys take notice, so Tomlin's having his assistant fall on his sword. Pretty petty move by Tomlin, but I guess he's unused to media criticism.

I gotta say I don’t give tomlin credit for being that Machiavellian. I think he runs the wheels off because it’s the easiest thing to do.

I think there’s a real culture of not going out on limbs. Too risky. If you stay with herd you may lose but you won’t be left hanging.

It takes a guy like arians who doesn’t fit in and doesn’t care to actually change something. We’ll see over the next half season what kind of guy fitchner is. If he’s a groupthink guy or a results anyway you can get them guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:43 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:

I gotta say I don’t give tomlin credit for being that Machiavellian. I think he runs the wheels off because it’s the easiest thing to do.

I think there’s a real culture of not going out on limbs. Too risky. If you stay with herd you may lose but you won’t be left hanging.

It takes a guy like arians who doesn’t fit in and doesn’t care to actually change something. We’ll see over the next half season what kind of guy fitchner is. If he’s a groupthink guy or a results anyway you can get them guy

I don't know why Tomlin "runs the wheels off"- it's always been his philosophy. But my post is concerned with answering the question about why Fichtner's story has changed. I think that once the heat started to be turned up about the issue, Tomlin sent out Fichtner to take the blame. It's not like Fichtner implemented some new personnel philosophy on his own. Mindlessly running the wheels off the starting RB has been Tomlin's MO from the start. But Tomlin had Fichtner take the hit on this one.

I'd be surprised if Fichtner is anything other than a groupthink guy. He's one of Tomlin's buddies (along with Butler) from that renowned football powerhouse Arkansas State. They're rich, fat, and happy. Don't expect any of them to rock the boat too much. Winning a wildcard and losing in the divisional would be just fine with them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Exactly. Which is why...
"OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."

...is pure bullshit

What this tells you is somewhere, the coaching staff is getting heat for the run the wheels off philosophy because on Sunday after the game, both Tomlin and Fichtner were intimating Connor getting all the carries was by design.

The refusal to have any sort of RB rotation is a longstanding Tomlin problem. Remember, in 2014 it caused LeGarrette Blount to force himself off the team due to his lack of playing time, which resulted in Tomlin never signing an adequate backup- why bother, because he wasn't going to be playing anyways- and leaving us with no one after Bell was injured against the Bengals. We went into the Ravens game stating Ben Tate, a street free agent, and were completely without a running game. Looking back on it, that series of events was what made me first start questioning Tomlin and his judgment.

Le'veon Bell's holdout has finally put this Tomlin quirk into the spotlight. The fact that Tomlin & Co. couldn't resist giving Conner 36 touches when everyone was taking notice of this issue only served to highlight the depth of the problem. Now that it's being questioned publicly by a media that usually gives Tomlin a free pass, he's making his OC fall on his sword. I'm convinced that Tomlin doesn't think that he did anything wrong and has never second guessed his "run their wheels off" philosophy.

I cannot endorse this post enough

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:25 pm 

Me neither. Great stuff W&M_Steeler there is nothing but truth in what you have written.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:25 pm 

It took me one whole game to detest Fitchner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 pm 

KC wrote:

Fecalner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
KC wrote:

Fecalner

Shitner or Fuckner would be better if you’re going to right to hate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
KC wrote:

Fecalner

Bitchner?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Realizing that Bell is justified in holding out instead of being destroyed (any more) by Fraudlin...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:38 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
Bitchner?

Tomlin’s Bitchner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 pm 

It's a little soon to be dumping on Fich, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:

Nah...let’s beat the Christmas rush and start hating him now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

Nah...let’s beat the Christmas rush and start hating him now.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:10 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:

Yes agreed. Thats why its on big T for allowing a beaten down horse to keep carrying the rock without a spell.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:26 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Don't know why I have to point this out again, but what Mike Tomlin says at pressers is not for public consumption. It has little to no correlation with the facts... and I am down with that.

Everything he says is bullshit
Whoever in this thread said he chooses "run the wheels off" because it's easy is completely correct.
his entire approach is Easy ... And shallow
A mix of Chauncey Gardener and Simple Jack steeped in football rhetoric

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:38 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
KC wrote:

Fecalner

Nothing will top Gay Sperman.