It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:43 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:
W&M_Steeler wrote:
The media coverage of the issue- spurred on and amplified by the ramifications the "run the wheels off" philosophy has on the Bell holdout- has made the Rooneys take notice, so Tomlin's having his assistant fall on his sword. Pretty petty move by Tomlin, but I guess he's unused to media criticism.

I gotta say I don’t give tomlin credit for being that Machiavellian. I think he runs the wheels off because it’s the easiest thing to do.

I think there’s a real culture of not going out on limbs. Too risky. If you stay with herd you may lose but you won’t be left hanging.

It takes a guy like arians who doesn’t fit in and doesn’t care to actually change something. We’ll see over the next half season what kind of guy fitchner is. If he’s a groupthink guy or a results anyway you can get them guy

I don't know why Tomlin "runs the wheels off"- it's always been his philosophy. But my post is concerned with answering the question about why Fichtner's story has changed. I think that once the heat started to be turned up about the issue, Tomlin sent out Fichtner to take the blame. It's not like Fichtner implemented some new personnel philosophy on his own. Mindlessly running the wheels off the starting RB has been Tomlin's MO from the start. But Tomlin had Fichtner take the hit on this one.

I'd be surprised if Fichtner is anything other than a groupthink guy. He's one of Tomlin's buddies (along with Butler) from that renowned football powerhouse Arkansas State. They're rich, fat, and happy. Don't expect any of them to rock the boat too much. Winning a wildcard and losing in the divisional would be just fine with them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Exactly. Which is why...
"OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."

...is pure bullshit

What this tells you is somewhere, the coaching staff is getting heat for the run the wheels off philosophy because on Sunday after the game, both Tomlin and Fichtner were intimating Connor getting all the carries was by design.

The refusal to have any sort of RB rotation is a longstanding Tomlin problem. Remember, in 2014 it caused LeGarrette Blount to force himself off the team due to his lack of playing time, which resulted in Tomlin never signing an adequate backup- why bother, because he wasn't going to be playing anyways- and leaving us with no one after Bell was injured against the Bengals. We went into the Ravens game stating Ben Tate, a street free agent, and were completely without a running game. Looking back on it, that series of events was what made me first start questioning Tomlin and his judgment.

Le'veon Bell's holdout has finally put this Tomlin quirk into the spotlight. The fact that Tomlin & Co. couldn't resist giving Conner 36 touches when everyone was taking notice of this issue only served to highlight the depth of the problem. Now that it's being questioned publicly by a media that usually gives Tomlin a free pass, he's making his OC fall on his sword. I'm convinced that Tomlin doesn't think that he did anything wrong and has never second guessed his "run their wheels off" philosophy.

I cannot endorse this post enough

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:25 pm 

Me neither. Great stuff W&M_Steeler there is nothing but truth in what you have written.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:25 pm 

It took me one whole game to detest Fitchner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 pm 

KC wrote:

Fecalner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
KC wrote:

Fecalner

Shitner or Fuckner would be better if you’re going to right to hate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
KC wrote:

Fecalner

Bitchner?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Again, focus on how the line has changed as opposed to what was said and take that as a sign of heat being applied from somewhere.

On Sunday the line was, from both Tomlin and Fichtner, “Connor can take all those carries...he gets stronger with all those carries”.

On Thursday we’re hearing “My bad...I should have been rotating the other guys in”.

Something has changed in those four days.

Realizing that Bell is justified in holding out instead of being destroyed (any more) by Fraudlin...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:38 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
Bitchner?

Tomlin’s Bitchner.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 pm 

It's a little soon to be dumping on Fich, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:

Nah...let’s beat the Christmas rush and start hating him now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Poltargyst wrote:

Nah...let’s beat the Christmas rush and start hating him now.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:10 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:

Yes agreed. Thats why its on big T for allowing a beaten down horse to keep carrying the rock without a spell.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:26 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Don't know why I have to point this out again, but what Mike Tomlin says at pressers is not for public consumption. It has little to no correlation with the facts... and I am down with that.

Everything he says is bullshit
Whoever in this thread said he chooses "run the wheels off" because it's easy is completely correct.
his entire approach is Easy ... And shallow
A mix of Chauncey Gardener and Simple Jack steeped in football rhetoric

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:38 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
KC wrote:

Fecalner

Nothing will top Gay Sperman.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:29 pm 

Funny it was Randy who fell on the sword as the head coach does not get any blame.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:54 am 

Gonzo wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Don't know why I have to point this out again, but what Mike Tomlin says at pressers is not for public consumption. It has little to no correlation with the facts... and I am down with that.

Whoever in this thread said he chooses "run the wheels off" because it's easy is completely correct.

and I call bullshit on that, too... he's a coach, coaches at a high level, gets results. He's not Chauncey Gardner, no matter how much his coaching style rubs you the wrong way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:39 am 

Bitchner?[/quote][/quote]

Sphinctner. It's only one game. He's a little tight, give him a chance, he'll loosen up...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:51 am 

Peezy55 wrote:
Bitchner?

Sphinctner. It's only one game. He's a little tight, give him a chance, he'll loosen up...

I see what you did there

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:23 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

and I call bullshit on that, too... he's a coach, coaches at a high level, gets results. He's not Chauncey Gardner, no matter how much his coaching style rubs you the wrong way.

Props for the Being There reference.

I agree that he does get results. Unfortunately, more often that not, they're negative results in playoff games. We have all established he is a top 10 coach in the NFL today. I've said that time and time again. However, his teams tank in the playoffs. Like Cowher's. And there's always that comparison with Cowher it seems. You know Cowher. The man this board and the old one killed for turtling, bad decisions and playoff futility. He got results, too. They are exactly the same. Great regular season coaches. They managed to win one championship. Many here are treating Tomlin exactly as they did Cowher - as it should be. However, there are some here who slammed Cowher, but for some reason don't do that with Tomlin. The Tomlin apologists will say it's the other way around. Well, for those who praise Cowher and slam Tomlin, I call bullshit on them, too. They both deserve criticism.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:13 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
Funny it was Randy who fell on the sword as the head coach does not get any blame.
This is already expected from that poser coach. There really is No Hate, unless fans Hate being right with the predictability of this team. Fich/Boneheadlin came out unimaginative, stale and really unprepared for in game challenges. As per the standard. For those of us that wished for a new approach? Disappointment reared its ugly head again! The stubborn approach doesn't play out well. Moreover, when your first Professional Game [Fichtner] is against a League Bottom Feeder and you Tie that league bottom feeder, it doesn't really improve upon your reputation. In fact it actually diminishes it a little while embarrassing you. Especially!... Especially with the abundance of talent on this current roster. Just infuriatingly disappointing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:01 pm 

1st and 10 from our own 5 yd line at the 5:47 mark in the 4th. We have a 7 point lead.

It's a 1 score game and if we do not score or have a good drive they are in position to tie the game.

We go heavy package with 6 OLmen plus Grimble and Nix. AB the only wr. We did this on first and 2nd down. We did end up with 3rd and short and picked up the 1st down (a short pass) on the first series but we were fortunate to do that IMO.

Repeat on the 2nd series but with predictable results. That heavy package bunched up the LOS making it easy for them to stack the LOS and so we ran into a predictable brick wall on the first 2 downs then ended up in 3rd and long. All playing right into their hands.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:46 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
KC wrote:

Fecalner

Has to be Felchner. KC would approve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:22 pm 

One of the biggest surprises and one that has been talked about all week is the Steelers’ decision to not relieve Conner. Besides one carry by Ryan Switzer, Conner received all of the running back duties, and one has to wonder if the Steelers were better off relieving their running back in order to preserve his legs for the entirety of Sunday’s game.

A look at Conner’s splits by quarter may give a better indicator of perhaps his stamina, or lack of stamina as the game progressed.

First quarter: 4.4 yards per carry

Second quarter: 8.0 yards per carry

Third quarter: 8.0 yards per carry

Fourth quarter: 2.3 yards per carry

Overtime: 1.3 yards per carry

Conner’s yards per carry nose dived after the third quarter, as the running back tallied 102 yards and averaged 6.8 yards per carry. From the fourth quarter on, this number fell to 33 yards and just 2.1 yards per carry. The running back also picked up just one first down from the fourth quarter on, losing effectiveness as the game continued and conditions worsened.

The final carries of Conner’s afternoon went for -2, 3, 2, 2 and 1 yard respectfully. One has to wonder if the Steelers will plan to incorporate Stevan Ridley or Jaylen Samuels more into the game for a drive or series just to ease Conner’s workload should he be needed to close out a contest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:34 pm 

This was so inexcusable that Fitchner or Tomlin failed to give the backup at least one series.