It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am
Posts: 806
They should have given Conner some rest even though Tomtom wants to run the wheels off. He doesn't take any responsibility and says Conner can handle a heavy work load. Right!

Gerry Dulac
✔ @gerrydulac

OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5556
Steelergenie wrote:
They should have given Conner some rest even though Tomtom wants to run the wheels off. He doesn't take any responsibility and says Conner can handle a heavy work load. Right!

Gerry Dulac
✔ @gerrydulac

OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."



Progress I suppose. We will see this week if they mean it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am
Posts: 1667
2018 - the year Tomlin learned that running backs need a rest sometimes.

Progress is a good thing for our coach. Slow and steady progress.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4118
Hard to blame Fichtner considering we've never really utilized 2-backs even with Haley and Arians.

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4499
R S wrote:
Steelergenie wrote:
They should have given Conner some rest even though Tomtom wants to run the wheels off. He doesn't take any responsibility and says Conner can handle a heavy work load. Right!

Gerry Dulac
✔ @gerrydulac

OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."



Progress I suppose. We will see this week if they mean it.


Progress? Wasn't Fitchner on staff when we trotted out greenhorn Frenchy in 2015 vs the Broncos?

There is ZERO self awareness and self reflection with this organization. Starts with Eddie Munster and Tomlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4347
StillerInCT wrote:
Hard to blame Fichtner considering we've never really utilized 2-backs even with Haley and Arians.


Tomlin made his run the wheels off position clear on this from the beginning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm
Posts: 1460
Talk is cheap, randy. Let’s see some jaleyn samuels and Ridley our there.

And is fucking McDonald playing this week???

Chiefs secondary can be had. Get JW out there too and let’s all feel good about a home opener blow out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4118
Havoc wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Hard to blame Fichtner considering we've never really utilized 2-backs even with Haley and Arians.


Tomlin made his run the wheels off position clear on this from the beginning.


Exactly. Which is why...
"OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."

...is pure bullshit

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm
Posts: 1460
Looks like bagger Vance will play

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-2-in ... ort-chiefs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23477
StillerInCT wrote:
Havoc wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Hard to blame Fichtner considering we've never really utilized 2-backs even with Haley and Arians.


Tomlin made his run the wheels off position clear on this from the beginning.


Exactly. Which is why...
"OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."

...is pure bullshit


What this tells you is somewhere, the coaching staff is getting heat for the run the wheels off philosophy because on Sunday after the game, both Tomlin and Fichtner were intimating Connor getting all the carries was by design.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:46 pm
Posts: 3
Switzer got a underneath handoff in the first half,conner should of been more than rested.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 5501
Steelergenie wrote:
They should have given Conner some rest even though Tomtom wants to run the wheels off. He doesn't take any responsibility and says Conner can handle a heavy work load. Right!

Gerry Dulac
✔ @gerrydulac

OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."


Baby steps boys.
One step at a time.
Admitting a problem is the first step.

I am encouraged a bit, because this admission of taking the wrong approach and looking to change is not something that will come out of Tomlins mouth.
His stubbornness at failure to change and adapt, is prouder than playing winning football.
How can he back down from his proud and clever.............."Run the wheels off" mantra. Would certainly take the sting out of his clever comments.
I put the prick Haley in the same ilk, as he too was thick headed and obtuse to change and adapt.

If Fitch is putting it out there, I expect to see at least Ridley and hopefully Samuels for a few snaps.
How does he not........and then answer questions after he spelled it out.

Good signs.

I am sure Tomlin is working hard on some new clever lines, rather than a clever game plan.

"Gonna rotate the tires"

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Last edited by Stosh-67 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:50 pm
Posts: 769
"Young Offensive Coordinator" WTF?? Fichtner graduated from Purdue in 1985 and has been a full time coach since 1989.

It's not like he's some 29 year old just figuring things out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 9318
Baltostiller wrote:
"Young Offensive Coordinator" WTF?? Fichtner graduated from Purdue in 1985 and has been a full time coach since 1989.

It's not like he's some 29 year old just figuring things out.


Yeah that was a weird comment. Young coordinator? Has he watched a football game where one or both teams use a variety of backs? The dude has been on football sidelines pretty much his entire adult life.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am
Posts: 806
No wonder our backs have nothing left in the tank come playoff time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1953
Yeah, but come on fellas, this is his first ever season being an offensive coordinator in the NFL calling the plays, designing the offense, etc.

The last time he was an offensive coordinator, calling the plays, designing the offense was 2006 in college at Memphis, that was 12 years ago. Give the guy a break, he IS a relatively inexperienced offensive coordinator, and he is learning as he goes, he really is figuring things out.

And remember he is wearing two hats, he is the offensive coordinator and the Quarterbacks coach. Most teams have an OC and QB coach and don't put pressure on one coach to do both. Hell, there have been instances where many NFL teams will have an OC, a QB coach and then even another coach, like for example Todd Haley when he was in Dallas with Parcels and Romo, he was the passing game coordinator.

Steelers are really doing no favors to Fitchner expecting him to do all of that alone.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm
Posts: 1460
I’m giving fitchner slack. OC for the Steelers is a job some poor sucker in the world has to take.

What I’m looking to see is if tomlin is truly hands off which I think he mostly is especially with offense, then Randy really has to step up himself himself.

I mean it seems very obvious an OC would want to score shit tons of points. Assuming the OL and Ben play reasonably well there’s no reason this offense shouldn’t be threatening every possession.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am
Posts: 806
Tomtom is a defensive genius. Let him concentrate on that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23477
Again, focus on how the line has changed as opposed to what was said and take that as a sign of heat being applied from somewhere.

On Sunday the line was, from both Tomlin and Fichtner, “Connor can take all those carries...he gets stronger with all those carries”.

On Thursday we’re hearing “My bad...I should have been rotating the other guys in”.

Something has changed in those four days.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16603
Don't know why I have to point this out again, but what Mike Tomlin says at pressers is not for public consumption. It has little to no correlation with the facts... and I am down with that.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13800
Quote:
Gerry Dulac
✔ @gerrydulac
OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."
Horseshit! How in the hell are you going to say something so arbitrary and expect fans to believe you? You know who the fuck is on your roster, who's active and who's not. Laughable!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 867
Steelergenie wrote:
No wonder our backs have nothing left in the tank come playoff time.


Can't really buy this, 3 of the last 4 playoff games for Bell he has been a monster, has also had huge games late in the season last few years as well (Buff and Balt xmas day game come to mind) the one bad playoff game he had was the Pats when he got injured...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm
Posts: 782
Jeemie wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
Exactly. Which is why...
"OC Randy Fichtner on James Conner getting all the RB snaps vs Browns: "Thats on the young coordinator. I shoulda got the other running backs in there."

...is pure bullshit


What this tells you is somewhere, the coaching staff is getting heat for the run the wheels off philosophy because on Sunday after the game, both Tomlin and Fichtner were intimating Connor getting all the carries was by design.


The refusal to have any sort of RB rotation is a longstanding Tomlin problem. Remember, in 2014 it caused LeGarrette Blount to force himself off the team due to his lack of playing time, which resulted in Tomlin never signing an adequate backup- why bother, because he wasn't going to be playing anyways- and leaving us with no one after Bell was injured against the Bengals. We went into the Ravens game stating Ben Tate, a street free agent, and were completely without a running game. Looking back on it, that series of events was what made me first start questioning Tomlin and his judgment.

Le'veon Bell's holdout has finally put this Tomlin quirk into the spotlight. The fact that Tomlin & Co. couldn't resist giving Conner 36 touches when everyone was taking notice of this issue only served to highlight the depth of the problem. Now that it's being questioned publicly by a media that usually gives Tomlin a free pass, he's making his OC fall on his sword. I'm convinced that Tomlin doesn't think that he did anything wrong and has never second guessed his "run their wheels off" philosophy.


Last edited by W&M_Steeler on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:38 pm
Posts: 782
Jeemie wrote:
Again, focus on how the line has changed as opposed to what was said and take that as a sign of heat being applied from somewhere.

On Sunday the line was, from both Tomlin and Fichtner, “Connor can take all those carries...he gets stronger with all those carries”.

On Thursday we’re hearing “My bad...I should have been rotating the other guys in”.

Something has changed in those four days.


The media coverage of the issue- spurred on and amplified by the ramifications the "run the wheels off" philosophy has on the Bell holdout- has made the Rooneys take notice, so Tomlin's having his assistant fall on his sword. Pretty petty move by Tomlin, but I guess he's unused to media criticism.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fichtner/Tomlin screwed up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm
Posts: 1460
W&M_Steeler wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Again, focus on how the line has changed as opposed to what was said and take that as a sign of heat being applied from somewhere.

On Sunday the line was, from both Tomlin and Fichtner, “Connor can take all those carries...he gets stronger with all those carries”.

On Thursday we’re hearing “My bad...I should have been rotating the other guys in”.

Something has changed in those four days.


The media coverage of the issue- spurred on and amplified by the ramifications the "run the wheels off" philosophy has on the Bell holdout- has made the Rooneys take notice, so Tomlin's having his assistant fall on his sword. Pretty petty move by Tomlin, but I guess he's unused to media criticism.


I gotta say I don’t give tomlin credit for being that Machiavellian. I think he runs the wheels off because it’s the easiest thing to do.

I think there’s a real culture of not going out on limbs. Too risky. If you stay with herd you may lose but you won’t be left hanging.

It takes a guy like arians who doesn’t fit in and doesn’t care to actually change something. We’ll see over the next half season what kind of guy fitchner is. If he’s a groupthink guy or a results anyway you can get them guy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group