It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bell Does Have A Point
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:59 pm 

MJD interviewed Bell this week and most of what was asked, replied, and implied was total crap.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000961678/article/leveon-bell-disappointed-teammates-talked-contract

But...

One point was made that can't be overlooked. Workload. The point was made that if JC had 31 carries, imagine how many Lev would have gotten. Well, that's a stupid question. Lev wouldn't have gotten half that if he had been on the field.

So here's why I bring this up. Bell has a point about workload that has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Tomlin. Tomlin is shortening his RB's careers. So why hasn't someone (a RB) said something? Why didn't Lev go to Tomlin and say, the standard ain't the standard. I'm all in, coach, but I can't average 40 touches a game without wearing down at the end of the season, when it matters most.

Why can't JC say it and if Tomlin turns a def ear, go public? I know that "it just isn't done" and "he's the HC" and yada yada. But if someone would make this issue public, Tomlin couldn't pretend he's doing nothing wrong.

Post subject: Re: Bell Does Have A Point
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:10 pm 

It is simple. Hold your hand up and come out a series.

He has bitched he hasn’t gotten the ball enough and now he is bitching he gets the ball too much.

He thinks he is LeBron and can be an empire builder. You can’t empire build in football with 22 people and even arguably 33.

LeBron is going to new cities and actually putting teams together that can compete for rings.

If Bell wants to be the best of the best, which he doesn’t, he would stay right where he is and get a ring. If he is as good as he thinks he is, he should single handedly to be able to will us to the promise land.

He is a poser and will just be a foot note in the NFL because he will never get a ring with his attitude!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:18 pm 

Lev used to lobby for more carries. Lev has said he’s better after more touches.

Lev likely also knows he needs those carries to put up the numbers he does because he doesn’t get chunk yards.

Now all of a sudden since he’s done with this team the workload is an issue. Funny how he never brought it up before.

Lev is selfish and cannot be relied upon. Good riddance.

At the same time, Tomlin is a complete dumbfuck with how he uses his backs.

So Bell would only have a point if this was something he has been saying all along. But it isn’t.

Tomlin looks the fool for helping prove the point Bell is trying to make. A point only being made because of the current dispute. Not because it’s the way Bell has felt all along.

Had Tomlin been sharing carries with other backs all along Bell wouldn’t have the stats to support his highly & misguided ego.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:25 pm 

I don't think I agree with the premise. RB's generally hit a wall in their late 20's regardless of how many carries they have. And I don't think # of carries has anything to do with Bell's knee injuries.

He was also pretty good in 3 of his last 4 playoff games, so that doesn't really support the "worn down" argument. Maybe that NE game where he pulled a groin muscle the week before, but no dropoff in production for the other 3 games.

Maybe the lack of fresh legs is costing some big gains. There's no way to know. But just 10 plays could be another 150 yards and a couple TD.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:50 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
I don't think I agree with the premise. RB's generally hit a wall in their late 20's regardless of how many carries they have. And I don't think # of carries has anything to do with Bell's knee injuries.

He was also pretty good in 3 of his last 4 playoff games, so that doesn't really support the "worn down" argument. Maybe that NE game where he pulled a groin muscle the week before, but no dropoff in production for the other 3 games.

Maybe the lack of fresh legs is costing some big gains. There's no way to know. But just 10 plays could be another 150 yards and a couple TD.

One other point; the great ones rarely get hit hard. Did you ever see Walter Payton, Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice getting creamed? No! NBA players can run up and down for 48 minutes so can football players. I don’t agree with the premise at all either. And I don’t even think Tomlin is responsible. All this shouting about Tomlin not resting Conner is BS. If the player is gassed hold up your hand. RB Coach is responsible for the rotation as well.

I highly doubt Tomlin is overriding the RB coach or yelling threats at Conner if he were to come out. This too many carries issue is just excess Tomlin bashing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:56 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

One other point; the great ones rarely get hit hard. Did you ever see Walter Payton, Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice getting creamed? No! NBA players can run up and down for 48 minutes so can football players. I don’t agree with the premise at all either. And I don’t even think Tomlin is responsible. All this shouting about Tomlin not resting Conner is BS. If the player is gassed hold up your hand. RB Coach is responsible for the rotation as well.

I highly doubt Tomlin is overriding the RB coach or yelling threats at Conner if he were to come out. This too many carries issue is just excess Tomlin bashing.

I agree. There is far better material to bash Tomlin on

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:06 pm 

I do seem to remember Barry Foster carrying the ball quite a bit and Jerome Bettis carrying the ball quite a bit, and I don't ever remember anyone worrying about their snap counts. Different era I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:21 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
I do seem to remember Barry Foster carrying the ball quite a bit and Jerome Bettis carrying the ball quite a bit, and I don't ever remember anyone worrying about their snap counts. Different era I guess.

Barry Foster had Merrill Hoge, Leroy Thompson and Bam Morris to spell him. '92 was the only year Foster had the lion's share of carries.

Betis had a number of backs to spell him throughout his career. Erric Pegram, Richard Huntley, Famous Amos, Bad Ma'afala (shut your mouth!), Verron Haynes, Duce Staley, Willie Parker, heck even Kordell Stewart racked up a lot of carries. Like Foster, there was only one year where Bettis had the wheels run off him - 1997.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:37 pm 

Dishonest hypocrite.

Think it was after jags game reg season he blamed teams early losses on them not giving him ball enough...something like that

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:37 pm 

The HC is ABSOLUTELY responsible for this. Sure the RB coach is going to have a hand in this but big picture, either in game and especially over the course of a season the HC is MOST responsible.

It’s his a job to not only make sure the starter is able to maintain a level of effectiveness over the course of the season but also ensure the backups aren’t rotting on the bench and getting overly rusty.

Today’s back-up is next week’s or even the next plays starter. And you don’t know if you’ll have a week to get that player ready or 45 seconds.

So count me in he camp as calling bullshit on this one.

I’ve never seen a fan base go through such mental gymnastics trying to excuse a HC of any liability for anything.

If only all of us could be paid like the top guy yet be responsible & accountable for nothing.

Tomlin might as well crack open a cold one on the sidelines given he’s got nothing to do.