It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T.J. Watt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:51 pm 

Quote:
ARTICLE T.J. Watt Fastest Steeler To Double-Digit Sacks In Team History
ByAlex KozoraPosted on September 12, 2018 at 12:30 pm 2 Comments

No, T.J. Watt’s whopping four sacks is not a Pittsburgh Steelers record. He fell just a half-sack shy of that mark, set by Chad Brown in 1996. But that performance did still set one franchise record.

Watt is the fastest Steeler to record 10+ sacks in team history, hitting that mark in just 16 games. He now has 11 in his career.

The previous record was held by Keith Willis who needed 17 of them to get there.

To put that in perspective, here’s how long it took for select other Steelers.

LaMarr Woodley – 19
Kendrell Bell – 24
Keith Gary – 27
Joey Porter – 27
Greg Lloyd – 32
Jason Gildon – 44
James Harrison – 52
Cam Heyward – 54

Two short caveats to that stat. One, sacks have only been official since 1982, so I don’t know how long it took anyone on the Steel Curtain to achieve this feat. And technically, Kevin Greene did it in 15 games, but I’m focused on players who began their career in black and gold.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/09/t-j-watt-fastest-steeler-to-double-digit-sacks-in-team-history/

Post subject: Re: T.J. Watt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:22 pm 

For Harrison, are they just counting how many games he played at OLB to get or, as I guess, they are counting all the games he played on ST before he had a chance for a sack?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:27 pm 

jebrick wrote:
For Harrison, are they just counting how many games he played at OLB to get or, as I guess, they are counting all the games he played on ST before he had a chance for a sack?

Right. Good point. I missed that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 pm 

Looks like Alex simply added # of games played with no further context or explanation.

My bad for posting the article

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:32 pm 

Exactly. It should be once they are a starter, albeit a disadvantage for players that start earlier in there career. Then you can argue pros and cons of platooning, etc..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 am 

I see nothing wrong with giving Watt his due.

10 sacks in 16 games is impressive.

When James Harrison became a starter in 2007 and started all 16 games he got... 8.5 sacks. That was his first year as a starter.

From 2004 to 2007, Harrison played in 59 games and had 24 starts and managed 12.5 sacks.

Watt is advanced and polished for his young age, to have 10 sacks in his first 16 games and the team has put him at LOLB to maximize all of that talent. You look at the top pass rushers the past few seasons, the edge rusher/OLBs where do teams line them up? Not against the Left Tackles. Von Miller, Vic Beasley, their respective teams line them up at LOLB and have them rush against RTs. That is how you do it, finally, the Steelers have caught up to what the rest of the NFL has been doing.

I think he can easily have a season where he has at least 12 sacks and maybe as much as 15. And play great against the run, AND drop into coverage and probably have 3 INTs and double digit passes defensed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 am 

And only a couple years' experience at LB.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:47 am 

Scunge wrote:

When James Harrison became a starter in 2007 and started all 16 games he got... 8.5 sacks. That was his first year as a starter.

From 2004 to 2007, Harrison played in 59 games and had 24 starts and managed 12.5 sacks.

Watt is advanced and polished for his young age, to have 10 sacks in his first 16 games and the team has put him at LOLB to maximize all of that talent. You look at the top pass rushers the past few seasons, the edge rusher/OLBs where do teams line them up? Not against the Left Tackles. Von Miller, Vic Beasley, their respective teams line them up at LOLB and have them rush against RTs. That is how you do it, finally, the Steelers have caught up to what the rest of the NFL has been doing.

I think he can easily have a season where he has at least 12 sacks and maybe as much as 15. And play great against the run, AND drop into coverage and probably have 3 INTs and double digit passes defensed.

That's a pretty strong statement there. Before we start giving undue credit, let's at least see how many rb's get on the field against the chiefs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21 am 

What does RBs getting on the field have anything to do with TJ Watt and the LOLB position?

I have been banging the table since the day we drafted Watt that he is best served playing that LOLB spot, I even think that he could play ILB and be a Pro Bowler there too. I have also been extolling the virtues of taking your best pass rusher and having him rush at that LOLB spot, just like Denver does with Von Miller, just like Atlanta did with Beasley, just like Washington does with Ryan Kerrigan, KC puts Justin Houston at LOLB, etc.

It is very telling to me just how mediocre Bud Dupree has been in that spot because Watt plays one game there and has 3 sacks, 11 tackles, many for no gain, right off the bat.

I don't care what anybody says, I think the defense will be fine this year, there will be some growing pains as players get comfortable playing in new spots, but so far I really like what I have seen.

Watt looks great at LOLB.

Sean Davis looks great at FS, was making plays on the ball, making nice open field tackles. He is a classic centerfielder, should end up with 5-6 INTs this season.

There were still nagging concerns about Mike Hilton and his coverage ability. He did a damn good job on Jarvis Landry. Hilton in one game did a lot to dispel the idea that he can't cover, he looks like he has no weakness to me, just a Pro Bowl slot CB who can play the run, cover and blitz.

I saw a lot of change in that Cleveland game, I saw the Steelers not going with the status quo on defense, they changed things up, the players were playing faster, looked less confused and outside of Artie Burns were playing smart.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 am 

Scunge wrote:

Watt came into camp so ready to play football. He was a stud last week, expecting more of that today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:49 pm 

Davis was not the answer at FS. People here were adamant. So far so good. Hilton is that diamond in the rough. Burns even seemed to improve. Minus the temp tantrum last week. Pass rush has looked improved as well. Even though I'm still not satisfied with Dupree. Perhaps he makes up for a lackluster career to this point this season. I don't know. SBI if he can.