It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lev Taken Off Depth Chart
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:06 pm 

I'd like to prevent a repeat of Harrison last season. Cut him with 4-6 games left (or even 1 or 2), and he will most certainly go to a contender with cash, yes?

Play him as a starter for 6 games and you throw a colossal fuck you to the rest of the team, O line, RB's, etc. What are you going to do, bench Conner after 10 games? If he sucks, then fine. But if conner is successful? Is $5.1 M acceptable for 6 games? Is it acceptable for a back up and depth?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:19 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:
But scunge bell could simply sit out again next year.

Yes it hits his wallet but it locks up that money Steelers could use for a top fa player.

Steelers have complete control over that.

They can simply not franchise him again...whether it’s the third time (agree they won’t do that) or a repeat of the second time (I’m thinking they won’t do that either).

I think you’re right that by not signing he does leave open of another tagged season.

That’s the only good reason I’ve heard for why he might play this season.

It still comes down to a stalemate of sorts. Bell can always hold out longer than the Steelers can commit to him. It’s just the way it is. Steelers have to move on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:23 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Is it acceptable for a back up and depth?

Another question that could be answered if we see Ridley get carries. But Tomlin....

And don't forget Samuels. If I like 2-3 guys already on the roster, I cut Bell faster than you can slap 'dat ass. $6M is significant, and I think worth more than an R3 comp that might not be on the table, anyway. If he's cut, Bell becomes a free agent and he's not going to be some short-term rental for a contender.

Not sure at what point you'd be able to make such a determination.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:33 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
Is it acceptable for a back up and depth?

Another question that could be answered if we see Ridley get carries. But Tomlin....

And don't forget Samuels. If I like 2-3 guys already on the roster, I cut Bell faster than you can slap 'dat ass. $6M is significant, and I think worth more than an R3 comp that might not be on the table, anyway. If he's cut, Bell becomes a free agent and he's not going to be some short-term rental for a contender.

Not sure at what point you'd be able to make such a determination.

So we cut him then he goes to the Patriots or some other team just to stick it to us?

I mean, I know what you're saying, that you don't think he'd do that because he's trying to get as much money as possible, so being a rental seems out of the question....but I'm not willing to risk being wrong on that, either. It seems destined to be the type of move that come back to haunt us.

If I can trade him to a non-contender and get some moderate value back, I'm all for it. Otherwise, we keep his rights in whatever capacity he chooses to cooperate with. Which is going to be tricky in its own right. If he does choose to show up and we don't play him, is he going to be a pain in the ass? I dunno. If you're going to make the assumption above that he's 100% motivated by money and take him at his own word, then why wouldn't he be happy getting paid to ride the bench (and not risking injury or wear and tear)? But on the flip side of that, I don't know many elite level professional athletes who have been happy to sit on the bench.

Ideally, if he came back, we'd use him and Connor in various packages equally, limiting wear and tear on both, keeping both at least moderately happy, and giving our offense an extra dynamic, but we all know Tomlin isn't going to let that happen because we do what we do.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
I mean, I know what you're saying, that you don't think he'd do that because he's trying to get as much money as possible, so being a rental seems out of the question....but I'm not willing to risk being wrong on that, either.

He could actually be an idiot, but whoring himself out as a rental makes absolutely no sense. If he had any intention of playing on a 1-yr or part-year deal, then why wouldn't he sign a $14.5M tag? He's not risking injury or poor performance just to stick it to the Steelers....I'm not sure anyone could be THAT stupid.

But there could be a contender out there willing and able to sign him to the long-term deal he wants. I'm not going to live in my fears - odds say a contender signing Bell won't impact PIT. Why eat $6M in cap, not to mention the potential locker room issues, out of fear?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:12 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
I mean, I know what you're saying, that you don't think he'd do that because he's trying to get as much money as possible, so being a rental seems out of the question....but I'm not willing to risk being wrong on that, either.

He could actually be an idiot, but whoring himself out as a rental makes absolutely no sense. If he had any intention of playing on a 1-yr or part-year deal, then why wouldn't he sign a $14.5M tag? He's not risking injury or poor performance just to stick it to the Steelers....I'm not sure anyone could be THAT stupid.

But there could be a contender out there willing and able to sign him to the long-term deal he wants. I'm not going to live in my fears - odds say a contender signing Bell won't impact PIT. Why eat $6M in cap, not to mention the potential locker room issues, out of fear?

Because we're not going to do anything with that cap money this year anyways, so it doesn't make any sense to free it up in the first place. Especially since we'll have more than enough cap relief from him sitting out the first half of the season.

Again, if all he cares about preserving himself for his next contract, then he shouldn't mind sitting the bench or being in a limited role any more than he'd refuse to be a rental for a contender.

And again, I'd much rather trade him for something...anything...and control where he'd go. I know it's not going to be much in return and you're not guaranteed a trade partner, but I'd certainly give it a try long before I'd ever consider cutting him.

Cutting him would be my absolute last resort. Try the other options first. If you can't trade him, and there's absolutely no way to get around him being a pain in the ass in the locker room, then maybe, MAYBE, I consider it. But only after exhausting all other options, first.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:31 pm 

Cutting him would be my absolute last resort. Try the other options first.

He can't be traded until he signs. So I suppose the answer to the question is the tag is pulled 1 second after the trade deadline passes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:59 pm 

I'm hoping otherwise, but I wonder if Conner isn't a pretty good bet for injury, with his history, his relatively top-heavy physique, and the workload.

I like Samuels and Ridley and Toussaint better than most, but I think you'd welcome Bell back with open arms if Conner goes down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:40 am 

Kodiak wrote:

First, when has ANYTHING he says or does make sense?

Second, what odds are those? Does Vegas actually have a line regarding impact to the Steelers as a result of some ambiguous trade we know nothing of at this point? Since we're actually just spouting guesses masked as opinions, at best, I'll disagree and say that a contender signing Bell will actually HAVE an impact on Pittsburgh.

Any contender will be as such because of their record near the end of the season. And therefore, the teams that they play, Pittsburgh or not, will most likely have playoff implications. Since we figure to be a part of the post season, that will, in fact, impact us regardless of whether we play the Bell-contender or not.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:42 am 

I do think Kodiak has a point about a contender maybe trading for Bell. No, they would not be able to give him a long term deal until after the season but if they think they are close to winning a Super Bowl and feel they are just one player away from making that happen in 2018? Sure I can see somebody maybe offering a 3rd round pick.

If they take on Bell and he does not work out a long term deal and they do not franchise him for 2019, they can let him walk and then in turn may be able to get a 3rd round compensation pick in 2020. So, a team may feel like in the worst case scenario, not being able to sign Bell long term is not that bad if they are able to recoup that 3rd round pick in one year's time.

I can see somebody doing that, but if I were the Steelers I would try and trade him to an NFC team, that way it makes it harder for Bell to impact us unless we make the Super Bowl and his NFL team makes the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:49 am 

Scunge wrote:
I do think Kodiak has a point about a contender maybe trading for Bell. No, they would not be able to give him a long term deal until after the season but if they think they are close to winning a Super Bowl and feel they are just one player away from making that happen in 2018? Sure I can see somebody maybe offering a 3rd round pick.

If they take on Bell and he does not work out a long term deal and they do not franchise him for 2019, they can let him walk and then in turn may be able to get a 3rd round compensation pick in 2020. So, a team may feel like in the worst case scenario, not being able to sign Bell long term is not that bad if they are able to recoup that 3rd round pick in one year's time.

I can see somebody doing that, but if I were the Steelers I would try and trade him to an NFC team, that way it makes it harder for Bell to impact us unless we make the Super Bowl and his NFL team makes the Super Bowl.

Well of course. I think it goes without saying that any team with the need and the cash would love to have him. There are teams salivating already. And there are undoubtedly articles out there predicting where he will land, and fanbases frothing at the mouth as a result.

I just think it's bizarre to imply that any movement of Bell won't impact us. A move to the NFC could delay that somewhat, but with 6 games left on the schedule, his NFC team will most likely play a couple AFC teams, maybe even us. There will be a ripple effect at the very least.