It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lev Taken Off Depth Chart
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:40 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
I'd really like to know what kind of shape he's in. Unlike last year, I don't believe he's posted any workout videos.

Hefting cottage cheesy stripper ass has to be some kind of exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:18 pm 

I'm seriously wondering if Bell had planned to report on Labor Day, but failed a (private) drug test and needs a few weeks to detox. That would conveniently explain a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I'm seriously wondering if Bell had planned to report on Labor Day, but failed a (private) drug test and needs a few weeks to detox. That would conveniently explain a lot.

I wondered that as well, but he looks half baked in that video. I honestly don't think he is thinking one bit about football. I don't think he'll be even close to playing when he reports week 10.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:28 pm 

I think the Steelers front office needs to convey the following message to Bell's representatives:

"Your client has the clear right under the current CBA to not sign his franchise tag tender and to either not show at all this season or to show up week 10 and possibly even not be prepared to play at that time.

However, we'd like to remind you that the team also has the clear right to slap the non-exclusive franchise tag on his ass for 2019, greatly reducing the number of teams in his potential market and requiring them to give compensation. And, if he chooses to exercise his rights in a way that is detrimental to our football team, we will not hesitate to exercise our rights to protect our franchise."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:40 pm 

Are we 100% sure that moving on with Conner isn't the best way to protect the franchise?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:48 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

My understanding is the window for pot testing is 30 days in April/May. Bell, unsigned or not, is still an active player participating in FA and as such would have been subject to testing.

I think otherwise every active player is subject to one random test during the season. But it's not like signing his tender suddenly triggers a drug test.

I believe Bell is in the program so it may be a little different. But I'm pretty sure not signing his tender doesn't keep him from being tested. The league knows he was going to be tagged and knows he's an active player, so I'm sure they did not remove him from the testing rollcount.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I think the Steelers front office needs to convey the following message to Bell's representatives:

"Your client has the clear right under the current CBA to not sign his franchise tag tender and to either not show at all this season or to show up week 10 and possibly even not be prepared to play at that time.

However, we'd like to remind you that the team also has the clear right to slap the non-exclusive franchise tag on his ass for 2019, greatly reducing the number of teams in his potential market and requiring them to give compensation. And, if he chooses to exercise his rights in a way that is detrimental to our football team, we will not hesitate to exercise our rights to protect our franchise."

I agree, but they have used the non-exclusive tag on him this year. Let the market show his worth! But I agree. I think the Steelers FO should be fucking pricks to him and relay the message that he will undergo an extremely grueling conditioning test, drug test, and physical before he plays. That way, the Steelers can ruin his reputation concerning his conditioning and desire to even play ball. But I know, that some team would still spend money on his POS as!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:42 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Yup.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

And Yup. As a matter of fact I'd do this one in the press. I think they'd get a lot of support in the media for that at this point.

But that's not really the Steeler way. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:49 pm 

So if he sits out until week 10 and we are something like 7-1-1 with Conner tearing it up, do you rescind the tag in week 9 and let him sign with someone else or pay him just to keep him from helping a rival?

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:50 pm 

I think it would be pretty stupid to bluff that you'll tag him again next year.....mofo might insta-sign that $20M+ offer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:14 pm 

If he waits to sign to week 10 we could not trade him because the deadline would pass. I really hope the steelers pull the offer when he comes into to sign.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
If he waits to sign to week 10 we could not trade him because the deadline would pass. I really hope the steelers pull the offer when he comes into to sign.

It doesn't work that way. If he signs, then he's guaranteed $855k for however many games are left. He's not going to "come in to sign". It's more like a game of chicken. Otherwise it comes down to which fax reaches the league office first.

But you raise an interesting question. Assuming Conner is a competent replacement, what do you do? Bell leaving as a FA is a guaranteed R3 comp in 2020. On the other hand, even if he reports Wk10, cutting him saves you almost $6M in cap.

If Conner is a competent replacement, then I'm working out deals to trade Bell when he signs. Then when the trade deadline comes and he hasn't signed, I might cut him. I don't place a ton of value on the comp pick.....you're a player or two away and that $6M is significant.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:34 am 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

My understanding is the window for pot testing is 30 days in April/May. Bell, unsigned or not, is still an active player participating in FA and as such would have been subject to testing.

I think otherwise every active player is subject to one random test during the season. But it's not like signing his tender suddenly triggers a drug test.

I believe Bell is in the program so it may be a little different. But I'm pretty sure not signing his tender doesn't keep him from being tested. The league knows he was going to be tagged and knows he's an active player, so I'm sure they did not remove him from the testing rollcount.

Silverback triggered drug testing when he didn't put his turn signal on at least 100 feet from an intersection.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:59 am 

Kodiak wrote:
I think it would be pretty stupid to bluff that you'll tag him again next year.....mofo might insta-sign that $20M+ offer.

It won't be $20mil+ if he doesn't play this year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 am 

don't be so sure. Some team with throw massive money at him. The Skins have Peterson on lease for a year, and an unproven rookie will be coming off an ACL. I could see them throwing big bucks at Bell. Maybe not them. But someone will do it. No doubt about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 am 

Here is my understanding of what Bell is going to do.

If he does not report this year for the last 6 games then the Steelers can slap the same $14.544 million franchise tag on him next year in 2019.

But, if Bell signs his franchise tender and plays out those 6 games then that will officially be his '2nd' franchise tag, it will count as his '2nd' franchise tag.

So, the deal is that when a player is franchised 3 years in a row, it isn't a matter of the top 5 highest paid RBs, or 144% of last year's franchise number, no, from what I understand it is the top 5 highest paid POSITION, which would be QB.

So, look at all of the QBs that have just signed contracts, take the average of them and you get something like $27 million?

There is no way that Bell is NOT going to show up and make this season count, and specifically make that 2nd franchise tender count.

By doing that he forces the Steelers hands, are they really going to put another franchise tag on him that is so much money? $27 million? That is nearly twice of what they had to set aside for Bell this season. I just don't see it happening.

This will be Bell's last season, whether he plays in 6 games, 8 games, whatever, and they will not franchise him again and pay that super high franchise tag, it is not going to happen.

And as I keep telling people, the free agents that we pursue next offseason might very well cancel out Bell's new contract or at the very least knock it down from that 3rd round pick to say a 5th or 6th.

How do I figure that? Well let us do the math shall we?

Right now we are what, $6 million under the cap? Add another $8.5 million saved from not paying Bell for 10 games. So, we are now $14.5 million under the cap.

That rolls over into next season. Humor me and say the cap goes up by $4 million, so we are now at $18.5 million. Ben gets out of his funk and plays better this season, the offense takes off and the Steeler give him an extension in the offseason. I could see them freeing up as much as $8 million from Ben for 2019.

$14.5 + 4 + 8 = $26.5 million under the cap.

Say, for the sake of argument that Bud Dupree does not set the world on fire this season. Say he ends up with 7 sacks but Oly Adeniyi looks very good and has 6 sacks in limited playing time. That $9.232 million 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury and if the Steelers decide to move on from Dupree they can cut him and save themselves from paying that 5th year option.

$26.5 + 9.232 = $35.73 million under the cap.

You look at a lot of vets, and backups that are making decent amount of money that might not be back next season.

Ramon Foster has a base of $2.675 million
Tyson Alualu has a base of $3 million
Jordan Berry has a base of $1.907 million
Anthony Chickillo has a base of $1.907 million
Jesse James has a base of $1.907 million
Coty Sensabaugh has a base of $1.4 million
Darius Hayward-Bey has a base of $1.2 million

That is 7 players that make up $14 million in salary. Of those 7 players maybe they bring back Jesse James? Or Ramon Foster, if he takes a discount?

The Steelers could very well have $45 million under the cap and that is without doing any restructuring of their core players. How much more money could they free up?

Yes, I can hear you all whispering now, but the Steelers NEVER play in free agency. But when have they ever had that much money to play with, to actually compete for once, for the top players?

Want an ILB better than Bostic? Maybe they have the money to pursue somebody. Want a better TE than McDonald or James? Maybe they make a play for that athletic TE in free agency.

Maybe they go for some OLB??

I could care less about getting a 3rd round compensation pick for Bell because the Steelers may very well be a busy team in free agency and their signings may negate Bell.

Anyway, those are my musings on Bell and his situation and what I think could happen next offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:07 pm 

But scunge bell could simply sit out again next year.

Yes it hits his wallet but it locks up that money Steelers could use for a top fa player.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:30 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:
But scunge bell could simply sit out again next year.

Yes it hits his wallet but it locks up that money Steelers could use for a top fa player.

Steelers have complete control over that.

They can simply not franchise him again...whether it’s the third time (agree they won’t do that) or a repeat of the second time (I’m thinking they won’t do that either).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:37 pm 

Let's assume Bell shows up Wk10....and let's say trading him is a real possibility.

If you're in the playoff hunt, maybe you roll with Conner but keep Bell for depth? I think this is what they would have to do, but if I'm out of the playoff hunt I get what I can but otherwise I'm cutting him outright to save the money.

Otherwise, PIT is looking at $6M in cap to keep Bell for possibly a 2020 R3 comp. But as Scunge points out, they have some money they may grab a top FA which negate that comp.

On another team, though, they might be getting a 2020 R3 comp. And if it's an NFC playoff contender with a need at RB? I think you could get their late R3 this year, certainly an R4?