It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2141
Kodiak wrote:
RemoAZ wrote:
He can't be the gun slinger he used to be. If he tries, he won't make it to mid season.


I hope that isn't the case, and this is just one of those games Ben has a few times a year.

It's not like he didn't still hold the ball occasionally with Haley. It's just that he got much better at being situationally aware and choosing his spots. The two fumbles was bad situational football. That's a rusty internal clock. The pass to AB was bad situational football, and I think Ben basically admitted wasn't tuned-in to the difference in game speed (a.k.a. lack of reps).

Also, I think it was the Ben/Fitchner show the better part of the second half of last season. So the bedwetting is premature and misguided....I just hope we don't have to suffer thru 6 weeks of it like last year.


Only one was bad. The other the ball was snapped very low. Ben picked it up and went to throw and the defender was there. That’s bad line play, not a bad internal clock.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22957
Zeke5123 wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
RemoAZ wrote:
He can't be the gun slinger he used to be. If he tries, he won't make it to mid season.


I hope that isn't the case, and this is just one of those games Ben has a few times a year.

It's not like he didn't still hold the ball occasionally with Haley. It's just that he got much better at being situationally aware and choosing his spots. The two fumbles was bad situational football. That's a rusty internal clock. The pass to AB was bad situational football, and I think Ben basically admitted wasn't tuned-in to the difference in game speed (a.k.a. lack of reps).

Also, I think it was the Ben/Fitchner show the better part of the second half of last season. So the bedwetting is premature and misguided....I just hope we don't have to suffer thru 6 weeks of it like last year.


Only one was bad. The other the ball was snapped very low. Ben picked it up and went to throw and the defender was there. That’s bad line play, not a bad internal clock.


It’s both. He needed to eat it there...took him a precious couple of seconds to scoop it up.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2141
Clock is to get it out in 3 seconds. Ben was throwing in under 3 seconds from the snap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:46 pm
Posts: 189
Stosh-67 wrote:
Stairway 2 Seven wrote:
If they dont incorporate play action into this offense and continue using 1 rb for all the plays then this haleyball 2.0.


Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

This is Tomlins offense, his scheme, his style of play.
OC change and we see the same exact things.
Little to no PA.
Single back miss-use.
Inferior vet players getting snaps over better more talent players.
Turtling a big lead.
Running into stacked boxes.
Punting as the safer option deep in Cleveland territory - 2nd and 10 at the Cleveland 38, two runs and a punt from the 34.
Playing it safe in OT with a run into a stacked box and a stretch right run with a running back going on his 30th and 31st carry of game. ( he had 32 carries all of 2017 )
Settling for a 42 yard FG in the rain and wind, on a grass field that saw 68 minutes of tread and wear.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.




Yep....got that right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:43 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16069
Orangesteel wrote:
To our resident tape scrubbers (or anyone else keeping track), please remind me, do you recall seeing much of, if any, play action passing routes called against Cleveland? The way they were stacking the box in the second half, you would think it would be ripe for PA calls and hitting the intermediate parts of the field.

Because what I recall seeing actually looked a lot like a Haley called game, sans the QB sneak and about 5-7 less WR screens than Haley would have called (though I don’t recall seeing Tyrod throw too many for the Stains).

Am I off here? Or maybe can we conclude that Ben doesn’t like the PA anymore? Or are we going back to the tremendous amount of rainfall?

We essentially lost the win on a PA pass strip sack FTW

If only you asshats were as positive when the team plays well, that would be something. I’m not exactly on the bandwagon yet, but this place is absurd lately.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4111
What’s absurd are the decisions Tomlin makes. That leads to the “absurdity” here.

It’s stuff like the punt in Cleveland territory up 14. How many yards are even gained on that? 15? 12?

23?

You can end the game with more points there. Oh but Ben might throw another pic? Well, one of his pics was better than a Berry punt in terms of net yards. In other words, a turnover there isn’t much difference than punting.

Oh but on a punt we got the punt coverage. Thought we didn’t live in our fears.

If those chicken shit decisions weren’t being made with regularity there would not be so much bitching about all the other stuff.

It’s football. Shit happens.

A good portion of our shit is entirely self inflicted. We put ourselves in these positions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4111
And to Stosh, that list is spot on...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8500
I know I’m an asshat, and I do get positive when we win, but that tie was just bizarre. Up 14 with 7 min left and it went as downhill as it possibly could.

It’s Super Bowl or bust this season and until Ben retires. Tying the Browns isn’t on our way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22957
955876 wrote:
What’s absurd are the decisions Tomlin makes. That leads to the “absurdity” here.

It’s stuff like the punt in Cleveland territory up 14. How many yards are even gained on that? 15? 12?

23?

You can end the game with more points there. Oh but Ben might throw another pic? Well, one of his pics was better than a Berry punt in terms of net yards. In other words, a turnover there isn’t much difference than punting.

Oh but on a punt we got the punt coverage. Thought we didn’t live in our fears.

If those chicken shit decisions weren’t being made with regularity there would not be so much bitching about all the other stuff.

It’s football. Shit happens.

A good portion of our shit is entirely self inflicted. We put ourselves in these positions.


Like I pointed out on Sunday, do you know what made that punt more absurd?

It was the play call on third and ten from the Cleveland 38.

The play call was a run (it gained four yards).

When I saw it was a run, I was thinking "Yay! We're in the pink zone, and the Steelers FINALLY realize the pink zone can be four down territory!"

It was literally the ONLY way a run call there made sense.

Then they punted, and rudely jolted me back into the reality of the team for which I cheer.

:roll: :roll:

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6767
Jeemie wrote:
955876 wrote:
What’s absurd are the decisions Tomlin makes. That leads to the “absurdity” here.

It’s stuff like the punt in Cleveland territory up 14. How many yards are even gained on that? 15? 12?

23?

You can end the game with more points there. Oh but Ben might throw another pic? Well, one of his pics was better than a Berry punt in terms of net yards. In other words, a turnover there isn’t much difference than punting.

Oh but on a punt we got the punt coverage. Thought we didn’t live in our fears.

If those chicken shit decisions weren’t being made with regularity there would not be so much bitching about all the other stuff.

It’s football. Shit happens.

A good portion of our shit is entirely self inflicted. We put ourselves in these positions.


Like I pointed out on Sunday, do you know what made that punt more absurd?

It was the play call on third and ten from the Cleveland 38.

The play call was a run (it gained four yards).

When I saw it was a run, I was thinking "Yay! We're in the pink zone, and the Steelers FINALLY realize the pink zone can be four down territory!"

It was literally the ONLY way a run call there made sense.

Then they punted, and rudely jolted me back into the reality of the team for which I cheer.

:roll: :roll:

Hey...when your punter averages 33 ypp, punting from the 34 is the way to go. Aviators is a freakin football genius.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigfame, bradshaw2ben, Donnie Brasco, jebrick, Stosh-67, Tundralag and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group