It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 am 

Stairway 2 Seven wrote:
If they dont incorporate play action into this offense and continue using 1 rb for all the plays then this haleyball 2.0.

Unfortunately, Haley used 3 or 4 RB in his offence on Sunday. It has already been said, but I don't think hammering 1 guy all game was exclusively Haley's idea. It was and still is Tomlin's thing! Now, you can say they had Bell (very arguably the best back in the league), so they wanted him on the field in every situation, but it is still not smart football.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:22 am 

Then to summarize this thread:

Haley arrives to protect Ben; minimized play action because the ball should be out of your hands before pressure comes and coverage has time to engage. (QB sneak possibly eliminated too.?)

2018 season opener sees slop conditions and new coordinator. However, Ben seems to be holding the ball too long, where play action would help slow the pressure and freeze the coverage and in fact might be necessary. Potentially they need to double down on the Haley speed ball philosophy. The hybrid with minimized play action will be a failure. Ben and Fitch might be conflating philosophies to the detriment of the offense.

Conditions might have masked the new coordinators philosophy. Too early to get a read. Standby for more evidence.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:53 am 

Jeemie wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
I'm just going to say after one game Fichtner hasn't proven to be the better coordinator. Looks much the same as the last coordinator. Of course the offense not efficiently functioning didn't really help in this one game eval either. It's a wait to see. If it stays like or even resembles what unfolded week one throughout the season it's gonna be a very rough ride. I believe that this team will find it's groove and progressively get much better than week one's performance.

I don’t think you can say this game is indicative of the type of game Fichtner will call.

I think conditions and what happened in game very much dictated the type of game he ended up calling.

And once the Ben/AB chemistry was shown to be off (plus the fact the Browns’ DBs did an excellent job neutralizing AB...Ward looks to be the real deal) and Ben got careless with the football, Fichtner’s and Tomlin’s asses most definitely puckered. I’m sure they were thrilled beyond belief to be up 21-7 and just wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. Rotating the RBs might have helped there.

There was no problem with the game conditions to start the game. The first 2 drives were small ball.

There was a video last week on steelers.com ... Labs talked about Tomlin's early season philosophy regarding offense. Said it's Tomlin's philosophy to "not beat yourself early in the season" (exact words). Now I'm paraphrasing.... Labs basically said he did not expect a wide open offense due to Tomlin's early season football philosophy regarding offense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:02 am 

What’s also very telling is the number of players and coaches that say the Steelers always play the same way. I’ve heard hasselbeck jake long and Brady and others like Arians say that. Even years apart with different coaches, different players Steelers always seem to take the same mental approach.

Just shows it’s very ingrained culture. Why I wish they would hire more from the outside

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:07 am 

Remember when Ben had his foot mangled and they incorporated a ton of Pistol? Then Ben went out and had one of his best string of games.

I don't understand why they don't invoke more of this formation. Ben isn't exactly the most quick/efficient any more to turn himself around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:21 am 

it's still yggy wrote:
What’s also very telling is the number of players and coaches that say the Steelers always play the same way. I’ve heard hasselbeck jake long and Brady and others like Arians say that. Even years apart with different coaches, different players Steelers always seem to take the same mental approach.

Just shows it’s very ingrained culture. Why I wish they would hire more from the outside

Haley was a bad OC and needed to be let go. But the style and scheme of the offense is all Tomlin and A2...organizational philosophy. This how they want to play.
Handing the ball off to the RB over 30 times a game just doesn’t consistently win in the NFL anymore. But...”we do what we do”...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:25 am 

it's still yggy wrote:

It is ingrained in the culture.

Tunch on SNR just now... I'm paraphrasing... talked about the Eagles had to run a wide open aggressive offense vs Patriots in the SB because you have to match the Patriots scoring when you play them, but vs teams like the Browns you do not have to run the offense that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:31 am 

Havoc wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:

It is ingrained in the culture.

Tunch on SNR just now... I'm paraphrasing... talked about the Eagles had to run a wide open aggressive offense vs Patriots in the SB because you have to match the Patriots scoring when you play them, but vs teams like the Browns you do not have to run the offense that way.

Belichick shits on this organization. And please everyone spare me the greatestest everestest argument. Aggressive vs conservative is sports 101.

Right. I believe a good OC with AB doubled and tripled would still take juju and Washington and shred a D. With just those two. Steelers want to establish the run and Ben is always looking for AB when they get behind the chains.

Good OC would get samuels and ridley some touches too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am 

Stairway 2 Seven wrote:
If they dont incorporate play action into this offense and continue using 1 rb for all the plays then this haleyball 2.0.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

This is Tomlins offense, his scheme, his style of play.
OC change and we see the same exact things.
Little to no PA.
Single back miss-use.
Inferior vet players getting snaps over better more talent players.
Turtling a big lead.
Running into stacked boxes.
Punting as the safer option deep in Cleveland territory - 2nd and 10 at the Cleveland 38, two runs and a punt from the 34.
Playing it safe in OT with a run into a stacked box and a stretch right run with a running back going on his 30th and 31st carry of game. ( he had 32 carries all of 2017 )
Settling for a 42 yard FG in the rain and wind, on a grass field that saw 68 minutes of tread and wear.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:54 am 

Stosh 100% on point

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next