It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Play Action?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:30 pm 

To our resident tape scrubbers (or anyone else keeping track), please remind me, do you recall seeing much of, if any, play action passing routes called against Cleveland? The way they were stacking the box in the second half, you would think it would be ripe for PA calls and hitting the intermediate parts of the field.

Because what I recall seeing actually looked a lot like a Haley called game, sans the QB sneak and about 5-7 less WR screens than Haley would have called (though I don’t recall seeing Tyrod throw too many for the Stains).

Am I off here? Or maybe can we conclude that Ben doesn’t like the PA anymore? Or are we going back to the tremendous amount of rainfall?

Post subject: Re: Play Action?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:38 pm 

Because Tomlin

Rain

Poorly prepared team

What is Play Action?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:42 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Am I off here? Or maybe can we conclude that Ben doesn’t like the PA anymore? Or are we going back to the tremendous amount of rainfall?

I guess we'll find out as the season unfolds. But we have Ben running a sneak, and then taking off on a scramble....and holding the ball longer than he has in years (and getting sacked 4 times)....

Maybe Haley WAS forcing Ben to play a certain way, and Ben didn't like it. You're leading late in Q4 - can't hold the ball like that and risk strip sacks. That's just bad situational football.

Now Ben never said he had a problem running the sneak. I believe he HAS said he doesn't like turning his back to the defense on PA (which is complete bullshit, whether he means it or not).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:47 pm 

Haley was brought in specifically to force Ben to get rid of the ball so he could stay healthy. I don't give a shit if they liked each other or not. Haley did what he was supposed to do and Ben and the team were better for it. The problem is Haley sucked as a play caller. Now Ben has more control. Remember how Arians' QBs always got hit and injured a lot? Hopefully this last performace was just because Ben was at about preseason game #2 and not because he wants to go back in time. He can't be the gun slinger he used to be. If he tries, he won't make it to mid season.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 pm 

RemoAZ wrote:
He can't be the gun slinger he used to be. If he tries, he won't make it to mid season.

I hope that isn't the case, and this is just one of those games Ben has a few times a year.

It's not like he didn't still hold the ball occasionally with Haley. It's just that he got much better at being situationally aware and choosing his spots. The two fumbles was bad situational football. That's a rusty internal clock. The pass to AB was bad situational football, and I think Ben basically admitted wasn't tuned-in to the difference in game speed (a.k.a. lack of reps).

Also, I think it was the Ben/Fitchner show the better part of the second half of last season. So the bedwetting is premature and misguided....I just hope we don't have to suffer thru 6 weeks of it like last year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:31 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
RemoAZ wrote:
He can't be the gun slinger he used to be. If he tries, he won't make it to mid season.

I hope that isn't the case, and this is just one of those games Ben has a few times a year.

It's not like he didn't still hold the ball occasionally with Haley. It's just that he got much better at being situationally aware and choosing his spots. The two fumbles was bad situational football. That's a rusty internal clock. The pass to AB was bad situational football, and I think Ben basically admitted wasn't tuned-in to the difference in game speed (a.k.a. lack of reps).

Also, I think it was the Ben/Fitchner show the better part of the second half of last season. So the bedwetting is premature and misguided....I just hope we don't have to suffer thru 6 weeks of it like last year.

Like I said, I think Ben is at about preseason game #2 in getting ready for the season. I'm not in favor of how little the starters play. Belichek plays his starters and they're ready to go every season. Just another way we're out coached every year.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:00 am 

RemoAZ wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
RemoAZ wrote:

Like I said, I think Ben is at about preseason game #2 in getting ready for the season. I'm not in favor of how little the starters play. Belichek plays his starters and they're ready to go every season. Just another way we're out coached every year.

And now with his elbow issues, he isn't getting the normal reps this week. One game and he's already nursing an injury that's taking away game prep. We might need to start preparing ourselves for the Dobbs Experiment because I have a feeling it's coming sooner than later.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:10 am 

I'm just going to say after one game Fichtner hasn't proven to be the better coordinator. Looks much the same as the last coordinator. Of course the offense not efficiently functioning didn't really help in this one game eval either. It's a wait to see. If it stays like or even resembles what unfolded week one throughout the season it's gonna be a very rough ride. I believe that this team will find it's groove and progressively get much better than week one's performance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 am 

If they dont incorporate play action into this offense and continue using 1 rb for all the plays then this haleyball 2.0.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I'm just going to say after one game Fichtner hasn't proven to be the better coordinator. Looks much the same as the last coordinator. Of course the offense not efficiently functioning didn't really help in this one game eval either. It's a wait to see. If it stays like or even resembles what unfolded week one throughout the season it's gonna be a very rough ride. I believe that this team will find it's groove and progressively get much better than week one's performance.

I don’t think you can say this game is indicative of the type of game Fichtner will call.

I think conditions and what happened in game very much dictated the type of game he ended up calling.

And once the Ben/AB chemistry was shown to be off (plus the fact the Browns’ DBs did an excellent job neutralizing AB...Ward looks to be the real deal) and Ben got careless with the football, Fichtner’s and Tomlin’s asses most definitely puckered. I’m sure they were thrilled beyond belief to be up 21-7 and just wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. Rotating the RBs might have helped there.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."