It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fragile Ben Banged Up
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:01 pm 

Ben started slow last year. People were saying he was done. Then he was probably the best QB in the league the last 10 weeks.

From all reports, he hasn't lost anything. Yeah, he's good for a game or two every year where he busts out with the gambling. In other games that style pays big dividends.

And I'm talking about the two fumbles, because two of those picks really weren't his fault (if you sign-up for throwing a jump ball to AB 1-on-1 is ever a good gamble....which I agree with only situationally).

The first pick....just accept Ben is going to have a few of those forcing throws to AB. This is the big flaw in the offense and Ben's game. Maybe you can live with that if everyone is covered and it's 3rd down and all the other situational stuff. But too often Ben eyefucks AB and then forces a throw to him. As good as AB is, that is never a high percentage play - go thru your progressions and find something else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 am 

This has the makings of last year written all over it.

Slow start. Bewildering coaching. Fans jumping off cliffs and setting houses on fire. (maybe not in that order)

And yet, we were in great shape heading towards the playoffs. Then tragedy struck with Shazier. Now maybe we don't beat Jax even with Ryan healthy, but imo, we would have put another Lombardi in the trophy case.

This year is still a mystery, but the beginning seems very familiar.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:47 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
DeCastro is a big loss IMO. Who would replace him? Finney? That's not a bad option at all.

Feiler. Feiler played there some last season and has essentially played there as well as RT throughout preseason. He also saw naps at center in preseason.

Ben starting slow is a common scenario these days. When will it be too slow? When will it be time to start someone who can start fast? I don't know if not having enough preseason/off season practices/snaps is the real culprit here. I think we're seeing Ben trying to maintain himself at the NFL level and I think we're seeing it becoming increasingly more difficult for him to do so. I believe that's why we've seen the FO draft QB's in recent years. They see the writing on the wall. I agree with Scrunge that it's closer to the end for Ben than another 5 season's. I know he'd like to play for 5 more seasons. We'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:54 am 

955876 wrote:
Conditions had nothin to do with some of the bush league decisions Ben made.

It’s become real evident he simply will never be a “heady” QB.

Like FC used to say, has more balls then brains.

That was ok when he was 24. Today, not so much.

I’ve been disappointed with his lack of mental growth.

And this from a guy who has always been a Ben homer.

He made one bad throw. Please name the many bush league decisions he made and let’s break em down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 am 

fractalsteel wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Did DD break his hand whiffing on that Garrett pass rush?

I don't think the Browns ever brought him from inside but I get the humor.

On the strip sack, it was play action with guard pulling and tasked to block the backside DE in pass pro. However Decastro didn’t reach Garrett and gave up the sack.

Villanueva only gave up one sack— the one where he forced Garrett all the way around the horn and Not garrett kept hustling and finally ran down Ben when no one was open. AV also had a hold but that was a 50/50 call. He killed Garrett in the run game. Probably had the best game of the 5 OL.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 am 

Steelergenie wrote:
Will be limited in practice this week. Bumps and bruises. DeCastro has a broken hand. Will be monitored.

This is why it's stupid to go with two pure rookie backups.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:50 am 

Tough crowd.

I recall some great throws in preseason. Timing is off, conditions were terrible, etc. It's the first game.

KC at home, we'll know a lot more and frankly Ben starts to turn it around after having a bad game or two. Sometimes you just have a bad game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:50 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Did DD break his hand whiffing on that Garrett pass rush?

I don't think the Browns ever brought him from inside but I get the humor.

On the strip sack, it was play action with guard pulling and tasked to block the backside DE in pass pro. However Decastro didn’t reach Garrett and gave up the sack.

Villanueva only gave up one sack— the one where he forced Garrett all the way around the horn and Not garrett kept hustling and finally ran down Ben when no one was open. AV also had a hold but that was a 50/50 call. He killed Garrett in the run game. Probably had the best game of the 5 OL.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't remember the play and haven't had the stomach to rewatch the game, yet. I'll look for it.

I do know that DD played a majority of the game with the hand/wrist issue. Hopefully, he is a go and the injury isn't too serious.
I thought the holding on AV was one of the few good calls that whole afternoon. Then again, I only saw it on the replay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am 

I wasn’t surprised it was called a hold, it’s just that it’s the kind of thing that gets called 50% of the time.

The two worst sacks were on Pouncey (low snap made it impossible to even throw the ball away or avoid a massive sack and Decastro’s whiff on Garrett.

For those who want to blame Ben for holding the ball, if you haven’t even got time to grab the snap and throw it all in one motion, Houston we have a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:41 am 

[quote="bradshaw2ben"]I wasn’t surprised it was called a hold, it’s just gat it’s the kind of thing that gets calledn50% of the time.

The two worst sacks were on Pouncey (low snap made it impossible to even throw the ball away or avioid a massive sack and Decastro’s whiff on Garrett.

For those who want to blame Ben for holding the ball, if you haven’t even got time to grab the snap and throw it all in one motion, Houston we have a problem.[/quote]

Let me help you out, that holding call gets called 100%(not 50%) of the time cause it was a text book, instructional video material on what a clear and obvious hold is (for young refs). He was beat to the outside instantly, knew his QB was about 1.5 seconds from being clobbered, he reached out grabbed his man, as he was about to pass him and tackled him. Easy peezy call. As refs say clear and obvious.

Now the Pouncey hold on the touchdown was 50/50ish.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:51 am 

Stinger8 wrote:
[quote="bradshaw2ben"]I wasn’t surprised it was called a hold, it’s just gat it’s the kind of thing that gets calledn50% of the time.

The two worst sacks were on Pouncey (low snap made it impossible to even throw the ball away or avioid a massive sack and Decastro’s whiff on Garrett.

For those who want to blame Ben for holding the ball, if you haven’t even got time to grab the snap and throw it all in one motion, Houston we have a problem.

Let me help you out, that holding call gets called 100%(not 50%) of the time cause it was a text book, instructional video material on what a clear and obvious hold is (for young refs). He was beat to the outside instantly, knew his QB was about 1.5 seconds from being clobbered, he reached out grabbed his man, as he was about to pass him and tackled him. Easy peezy call. As refs say clear and obvious.

Now the Pouncey hold on the touchdown was 50/50ish.[/quote]
or the Hargrave hold on defense. I admit I only watched it in real time and it sure looked like the hold that was never called on James Harrison throughout his career. OT's hand/arm is extended to edge rusher's chest and, as rusher goes past, he falls down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:58 am 

Ben plans to play KC in spite of the bruised right elbow. Tough it out Big Guy! Hope it doesn't affect accuracy. No fumbles or interceptions please.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 pm 

B2B, I thought the Hargrave call was an obvious one, mainly because 1) the league now makes it a point of emphasis to call defensive holding on run plays (I think they made a statement about it two years ago) and 2) on the replay you will see Hargrave’s hand was under the OTs shoulder pads around the neck. That really frustrated me considering the play before was another sack of Taylor that pinned the Browns on the 3 or 4 yardline so second and LOOOONG.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:46 pm 

I think Ben had a bad game....and so the elbow "injury" is was the only way to get his vet day off this week. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:46 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:

He made one bad throw. Please name the many bush league decisions he made and let’s break em down.

The first pick? He was moving to his right. How does he not see that THIRD defender that was coming from same side he was moving to?

The ridiculous flip to Conner as he’s falling to the ground? Ya Conner got it. That’s a toss up though. Could have easily ended up a another turnover.

Holding the ball as long as he was. 15 years in and still doesn’t know when to hold em and when to fold em.

That’s three points.

At the end of the day you can present whatever case you’d like in his defense.

Box score will yet again show he was the sloppier of the 2 QBs in the field. Keeps happening.

It’s one thing to get bested by the Tom Brady's of the world. It’s another to turn it over and play more error prone football than the dregs of the league.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm 

955876 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:

Not to mention he had several off-target passes.

The first pick? He was moving to his right. How does he not see that THIRD defender that was coming from same side he was moving to?

The ridiculous flip to Conner as he’s falling to the ground? Ya Conner got it. That’s a toss up though. Could have easily ended up a another turnover.

Holding the ball as long as he was. 15 years in and still doesn’t know when to hold em and when to fold em.

That’s three points.

At the end of the day you can present whatever case you’d like in his defense.

Box score will yet again show he was the sloppier of the 2 QBs in the field. Keeps happening.

It’s one thing to get bested by the Tom Brady's of the world. It’s another to turn it over and play more error prone football than the dregs of the league.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 pm 

He had several off-target passes because his OL was getting tooled by an admittedly impressive front 7 and his all-world receivers weren't getting open.

As stipulated, the first pick was a poor read/decision... especially bad in red zone.

He's made those ridiculous flips to Conner and Bell and everyone for a decade and half. Did you so quickly forget the Jacksonville TD that Bell scored? Hard to criticize him-- play was there and he made something out of it.

Holding the ball? One strip sack he picked up the low snap and tried to throw immediately and was hit before he could let go.

Rather than argue all of this, I'd just like to point out that we're one fricking week into the season-- coming off 10-11 weeks of the end of last season where the offense wasn't stupid conservative and Ben was the best QB in the NFL. It wasn't a great day but it was also horrible conditions for their offense and chances are they'll be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:

You didn’t just say Ben made one bad throw in the last game did you? Please tell me I misread that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:51 pm 

The pitch to Conner falling down was asinine.

Give me a break.

Where x = violent men playing on blades of grass
Where y = efficiency factor
Where z = because Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:02 pm 

SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:

You didn’t just say Ben made one bad throw in the last game did you? Please tell me I misread that.

See you at 220pm!

Seriously, though, I'm saying he made one really bad throw and a few others might have been below his usual standards but weren't out of the ordinary.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:37 pm 

It’s only one game but these stinkers from Ben are becoming more common, B2B, not less.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:39 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
It’s only one game but these stinkers from Ben are becoming more common, B2B, not less.

Did you miss the last 10 games of 2017? He might never have played better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:45 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
He had several off-target passes because his OL was getting tooled by an admittedly impressive front 7 and his all-world receivers weren't getting open.

Rather than argue all of this, I'd just like to point out that we're one fricking week into the season-- coming off 10-11 weeks of the end of last season where the offense wasn't stupid conservative and Ben was the best QB in the NFL. It wasn't a great day but it was also horrible conditions for their offense and chances are they'll be fine.

Read my comment again B2B. Not the one Jeemie quoted but mine. I said nothing in regards to the accuracy of his passes. I think Jeemie was quoting me while adding a comment of his own and they somehow got mixed.

And rather than argue this, I’d just like to point out we are now a decade since our last SB victory and over that span our future HOF QB has made more errors and sloppy mistakes in playoff games than his counterparts.

He’s also done so in many of these games during the regular season against league bottom feeders.

Particularly on the road.

Mike Tomlin isn’t the only reason we’ve become an easy out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:30 pm 

And this just in: Ben's stats are deflated because he never gets to play vs the Steelers' defense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Did you miss the last 10 games of 2017? He might never have played better.

No I didn't miss those.

And in one of those ten games...the most critical of them all...Ben knelt down away from his coaches while a critical replay review was going on...never occurred to him, I guess, to maybe consult with them about possible plays in case replay went against them?

Then did the ONE thing he couldn't do in that situation...threw a horrendous INT with half his offense not realizing a play would actually be run...with the team in position to tie the game and send it to OT.

Then I saw the Jacksonville playoff game where you're going to point out those laser pass TDs and I'm going to point out that in a game we lost by three points, Ben had a terrible INT and a lazy sack fumble...which ended up being HUGE.

And it doesn't make what I said incorrect.

Brett Favre was the same way at the end of his career....a series of great games followed by an absolute clunker or two...or three.

Or a game when he plays well but then makes a completely brain dead decision in a critical moment and costs his team the game.

As 95 said...we're a decade from our last Super Bowl win...8 years from our last appearance.

In that time we've missed the playoffs three times and won only three playoff games.

In one of those wins we couldn't muster a single TD.

In another we only won because the other team self-destructed in the waning seconds.

The third was a victory over a weak-ass Miami team

That is NOT the record you want a HoF QB to have over that stretch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next