It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Winners & Losers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 am 

TB wrote:
Winners:

1. TJ Watt: was a force today. Was physical at the line, brought the thunder several different times today, and was all over the field making plays. NFL.com has him at 4 sacks (I thought it was only three?), 8 tackles, and the game-tying block ( :lol: ) at the end.

2. Bud Dupree: I would have to go back and re-watch, but I thought this was his best game as a pro. Granted, he was going up against a rookie UDFA at LT, so good results should be expected. but he was a hell of a lot more physical today than I can remember.

3. Mike Hilton: Stud. Made a ton of great timely break ups and tackles. What a find this kid is.

4. Jon Bostic: I'm sure the holes in his game will be more visible with time and with a different opponent/weather situation, but this was what he was brought here for.

5. James Conner: I know he didn't finish strong, outside of the one-handed catch on the drive in OT that could have won it, but he stepped up and delivered. Ran hard, especially in the first half, did well in protection, and showed that he's a damn fine capable RB. If Bell sits for a long time we'll be okay. That fumble was tough though, especially since it was such a light hit.

Losers:

1. Mike Tomlin: It goes without saying, but this team was not prepared to execute today and that falls on him. They looked slow, out of sync, had penalties galore, and despite all that found a way to blow a 2 TD lead in the fourth quarter against Tyrod Taylor. As usual with Tomlin, he opted to live in his fears and went ultra-conservative, which was a big reason the Browns were able to get back into the game.

2. Ben Roethlisberger: He had some good moments, but generally he looked like a guy who just rolled out of bed 15 minutes before the game and was playing football for the first time in months. His ball placement was generally awful. He and AB were not on the same page for most of the game (which is to be expected somewhat given AB's injury and Ben's lack of playing in preseason). He looked old and slow, and when the Steelers spread the field his mental processing looked slow, which when you go 5 wide you simply can't hold the ball for as long as he was on some plays. Trying not to overreact considering he looked like this last year for most of the first half of the season, but Haley is gone so you can't use that excuse. Ben may be physically fit, but he does not look like a player who was prepared to play football today.

3. Jesse James: Did a whole lot of nothing, outside of letting a ball go right through his hands for an INT when the Steelers were driving in the first half. Let's pray Vance McDonald can be healthy soon, and for longer than a game or two.

4. Alejandro Villanueva: Sorry FC, your boy got abused by Garrett. Not a game that will go on his highlight film to say the least.

5. Antonio Brown: Didn't look right all game. That had a lot to do with Denzel Ward, who looks to be a fantastic rookie. I'm going to chalk up a lot of his day to coming back from injury and missing the entire preseason. The TD grab was sick though.

BTW.
Nice thread TB.
Can't remember if you did these last year.
But you have my vote for the weekly Winners and Losers thread. lol. write away.

TJ Watt. - Imagine how this board and Steeler Nation would be like this week if TJ Watt did not play this game. Does he not block the kick and we lose? 3-4 sacks. wow. The one sack was a thing of beauty. Double teamed, got knocked out of balance pretty good, stayed on his feet and quickly closed for the sack. Look foward to watching this guy play each week and hopefully for a long time. I can also see older brother joining him in a few years on the down side of his career.

Bud Dupree not the terrible game alot have made it out to be. Here is one difference from last year. He was around the ball, had a sack and was at least more active. Tuff assignment with the scrambling, fast QB's the first two week. I still think he lacks the quick read, recognition and processing of plays that will prevent him from reacting and making the plays his physical stature and abilities says he should.

Mike Hilton Velcro. Sticke-em, Spiderman. Not sure if this guy has a nickname, but love how he is always right on his assignment.

Bostic. Got the one sack that Vince Williams usually blitzes in on. Around the ball with 4 tackles, 5 assists. I said when the picked him up, if he stayed healthy he would lead the Steelers in tackles. But Might the speed of the young Matthew Thomas be a better option vs. Pat Mahomes? Or at least be the week we see him a little bit on defense swapping in and out for both Bostic and Vince..

Connor. We saw the improvements in camp and pre-season. We knew he would have a chance to be successful behind that line and the weapons on offense. The run the wheels off mentality has proven to bite this coach in the ass year after year. The man does not learn, nor does he care to learn and improve on his short comings and ignorance. 31 carries, 36 total touches. Anybody have a snap count? Pretty good shot with hit to the shin. NFL is a long season. RB takes a pounding like no other position. Please give Ridley 5-6 carries. Samuels a pop here and there.

Sean Davis. Pleasant surprise. Looks a bit slimmer and quicker. Had 2 passes defended. Almost a pick.
Guess how many PD were credited to Mike Mitchell for the entire 2017 on Pro Football Reference web site.
Two
1 + 1 = 2.

That it.

The losers.
We have seen enough commentary on the bad games by Tomlin, Ben, AV, JJ and AB.
Some warranted, some not so.
I expect all of them to have a better game #2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 am 

Does a single reporter have he balls to ask Tomlin why he gave no other backs a single carry?

Vince Williams did not look good to me. Seemed to be a step behind or guessing and guessing wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:20 am 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Jesse James 3 catches for 60 yds all kept drives going. As far as his blocking, I’d like to hear more opinions because I think his blocking has improved. Outlaw is only 24 years old which is how old Miller was his 2nd season. The interception, he got a fast high pass with a wet ball that he didn’t even get 2 hands on. James is pretty sure handed. That was a very difficult pass for anyone. I think Outlaw is a good player who hasn’t peaked yet.

Justin Hunter. Ok, he didn’t have any drops. Ben was not hitting him. He had a touchdown if not for a holding call. Washington is probably better, but I root for Hunter.

My biggest issue was not giving Ridley carries in the 4th Quarter for a worn out Conner. Conner played a heroic game, but running him till the wheels come off will not help his season. And he was banged up and tired in the 4th. Think about it. Every good NFL team except the Steelers uses backup RB to share the touches.

I'll blame Tomlin and the OC for this stupid fucking shit. Ridley should of had touches. Fucking morons.

The refs on some of those calls were atrocious. I swear every year I lose more gumption to watch the NFL and feel it's rigged. I know I know, foil hat and all.

Fuck, Tomlin and the Randy. Fuck the refs and as SP pointed out, get Washington involved. Ben played like shit too. Reminded me of Favre rifling balls into windows he had no business trying to stick em in. Fucking Browns.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am 

R S wrote:
Does a single reporter have he balls to ask Tomlin why he gave no other backs a single carry?

I doubt it because Tomlin answer will ride till the wheels fall off which is moronic especially in a players first NFL start
Vince Williams did not look good to me. Seemed to be a step behind or guessing and guessing wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:04 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
R S wrote:

I doubt it because Tomlin answer will ride till the wheels fall off which is moronic especially in a players first NFL start

There was a video I saw, where a female reporter asked Randy whether they will use a committee or just one back with the absence of Bell. Randy said that Connor was an every down back. I guess Randy has the same philosophy as Tomlin!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:48 pm 

Do these dipshits realize there is a difference between being an “every down back” and literally playing every down?

This continues good luck getting RBs to sign here if the expectation is to provide depth.

Why would they?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:53 pm 

And the dumb train keeps on rolling in the 'burgh...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:10 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
And the dumb train keeps on rolling in the 'burgh...

Obviously.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:31 pm 

This is totally Stupid on tomlin part for not using Ridley at all nothing he said can make that right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 am 

I'll post this here. I got thru the 1st quarter on the All 22. A few notes...

On the 37 yd completion to JJ... That was Ben's 4th read.

Hilton had great coverage on what I think was a slant (as has been noted by many on the board)

One 1 play, Watt got double teamed to start the play then 1 blocker released to the 2nd level, Watt held his ground and made the tackle. The very next play, Watt lined up slightly left of center, then ran across the field in pursuit of the rb who had bounced it outside toward the sideline and nearly made the tackle. Back to back plays showing a lot of ability.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6