It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winners & Losers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
But after the pre-season that Washington had, it was puzzling to see Washington ride the bench and not at least get some shared snaps.

Did he even get a hat? Because with DHB and Switzer it seems like that means either Hunter or Washington don't dress.

Switzer had that bad drop....I don't know, he may be purely a return guy and needs to earn snaps. I'm seeing JuJu rotating between the slot and outside while Switzer and Hunter/Washington share snaps. And I'm not liking that - I want to see Washington and JuJu simply flipping spots.

And lets not forget 2 TE sets.....AB, JuJu and MacDonald with Conner/Bell....and JJ. Brings some different things to the table, and then at other times JJ comes out and you have Washington out there. Love the mix of skill players we have, but remains to be seen how they are utilized.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:39 pm 

Washington was suited up; on a punt late in the game the ball came very close to hitting his leg as he was engaged with a gunner.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:48 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
I have been saying Hunter is a 5th or 6th WR for 2 years now.
He has a very limited route tree.
Long and lanky, but not smooth or quick in route.
He is not going to make big catches over the middle.
Has not shown the ability to win contested balls.
Watched him warm up in person at the regular season Jags game last. :(
What a miserable ride home.
Anyway. the 6'-4" 203 # Hunter looked every bit of 190 pounds. And does not have the bulk to win contested deep balls, nor the physical skills to quickly adjust to off target passes.

I said he was a one route guy. And for the most part over the last 2 years, he has been a go route down the right side, route runner.
And whenever he came in the game last year, it was almost certain that Ben had his mind made up before breaking huddle, that the pass play was going to Hunter on a go route down the right sideline.
May speak to more of the simpleness of the coaching, play design and play calling / mentality of the OC and QB.

I was surprised to see Hunter run a little out pattern on the left sideline.

But after the pre-season that Washington had, it was puzzling to see Washington ride the bench and not at least get some shared snaps.

Biggest problem.
Tomlin loves him some Vets.
Loves the veteran players even if its to the detriment of the team.
Will have a roster spot for those guys until its painfully obvious the player can no longer contribute.

I am hopefully assuming that Tomlin is just making Washington earn his dues, damn the team success,
While giving the trusted vet another shot at #3.

After all,
Ju Ju did not get any targets in his first game last year.
But then again, we were only playing the Browns in the opener.
No need to get your best team on the field.

Easing in..........

Thats pre-season, game plan, players, scheme, intensity, best player on the field, etc. etc............

That being said,
Hunter is a capable #4 or #5 WR.
Keep in mind, a #4 and #5 WR are guys that need to be ST players to get a helmet.

But a #4 and #5 can quickly become a #3 WR in a long NFL season.
We do not want to be in a situation where Hunter is taking the majority of snaps at WR #3

Jacoby Jones

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:30 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
SP wrote:
Here is how the RB carry distribution looked by playoff contenders this week, starting back carries and backup rb carries.

Falcon 9-6
Eagles 15-5-5
49ers 12-11
Vikings 16-11
Patriots 18-5-4
Texans 20-8-5
Ravens 13-7-4
Chiefs 16-3
Chargers 15-5
Seahawks 7-7
Broncos 15-15
Panthers 10-7

Steelers 31-0

Teams give about 1/3 of their carries to backups in normal situations. The Steelers went with 0% in a game where the starter took a heavy workload. It’s not like he was going from Le’Veon Bell to Fitz Touissant, he was going from a guy making his first career start to a solid veteran backup.

Because Tomlin.
Until the wheels fall off.

Tomlin shortened Willie Parker’s career with this. Bell’s agent just said last week this policy “takes away his future years”. We just watched Conner get run into the ground for his first start. Can someone honestly tell me what is Tomlin’s logic here. Seriously what is he thinking? What’s wrong with fresh legs in the 4th quarter? Or anytime during the game. We are the Only team who does this.

Now I remember the Bus would beat guys up in the 2nd half, they hated tackling him. That’s fair. But the Bus didn’t get 40 touches a game. He was sharing the touches with Erric Pegram and guys like that.

The same damn baffling logic that prevented this team from EVER running a QB sneak on 4th and inches. NO LOGIC. Connor could be leading the league in rushing, averaging 200 ypg and when Bell shows up, he won't see a single carry unless it's mop up duty.

Also, i agree with Scunge. Hunter looks like he has no fight for the ball. None. He has one speed and urgency level and it's on cruise control. Washington is a major upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:36 pm 

Guys I agree that Washington fights for the ball better than Hunter. Washington is going to take Hunter’s place soon, as he should. But their are certain guys I just root for and Hunter is one of them. He might look bad on a couple plays but then he will make a great play. I think Hunter is still a good guy to have around for when someone gets injured.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm 

Hunter was horrible and Ben was horrible with him. They had absolutely no chemistry together. Real bad. Washington is going to be a huge, huge upgrade.

If Tomlin was being conservative about playing him because of his injury status I guess I can get behind that. Not worth risking something bigger if the lad was not ready. But it's frustrating, real frustrating.

The downgrade from Washington to Hunter was 20 times more severe than any supposed downgrade from LeVeon to Conner.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:09 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:

Did he even get a hat? Because with DHB and Switzer it seems like that means either Hunter or Washington don't dress.

Switzer had that bad drop....I don't know, he may be purely a return guy and needs to earn snaps. I'm seeing JuJu rotating between the slot and outside while Switzer and Hunter/Washington share snaps. And I'm not liking that - I want to see Washington and JuJu simply flipping spots.

And lets not forget 2 TE sets.....AB, JuJu and MacDonald with Conner/Bell....and JJ. Brings some different things to the table, and then at other times JJ comes out and you have Washington out there. Love the mix of skill players we have, but remains to be seen how they are utilized.

Washington played 16 snaps, 5 of them on special teams (according to snap counts). No target.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:03 pm 

hunter is soft as Kleenex. put fucking Washington in. so stupid. spell Conner once in a while . more stupid. and whats wrong with Vince pussy McDonald? cramps or pms? fucking asshole.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:30 pm 

I don’t what Washington needed to do to earn playing time. The guy was so good in the pre-season that he not only earned himself a roster spot, he earned Josh Dobbs one too.
Play the guy!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 pm 

The biggest Gaffe was not giving Conner a break with Ridley total buffone move on week one

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next