It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winners & Losers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:40 pm 

Winners:

1. TJ Watt: was a force today. Was physical at the line, brought the thunder several different times today, and was all over the field making plays. NFL.com has him at 4 sacks (I thought it was only three?), 8 tackles, and the game-tying block ( :lol: ) at the end.

2. Bud Dupree: I would have to go back and re-watch, but I thought this was his best game as a pro. Granted, he was going up against a rookie UDFA at LT, so good results should be expected. but he was a hell of a lot more physical today than I can remember.

3. Mike Hilton: Stud. Made a ton of great timely break ups and tackles. What a find this kid is.

4. Jon Bostic: I'm sure the holes in his game will be more visible with time and with a different opponent/weather situation, but this was what he was brought here for.

5. James Conner: I know he didn't finish strong, outside of the one-handed catch on the drive in OT that could have won it, but he stepped up and delivered. Ran hard, especially in the first half, did well in protection, and showed that he's a damn fine capable RB. If Bell sits for a long time we'll be okay. That fumble was tough though, especially since it was such a light hit.

Losers:

1. Mike Tomlin: It goes without saying, but this team was not prepared to execute today and that falls on him. They looked slow, out of sync, had penalties galore, and despite all that found a way to blow a 2 TD lead in the fourth quarter against Tyrod Taylor. As usual with Tomlin, he opted to live in his fears and went ultra-conservative, which was a big reason the Browns were able to get back into the game.

2. Ben Roethlisberger: He had some good moments, but generally he looked like a guy who just rolled out of bed 15 minutes before the game and was playing football for the first time in months. His ball placement was generally awful. He and AB were not on the same page for most of the game (which is to be expected somewhat given AB's injury and Ben's lack of playing in preseason). He looked old and slow, and when the Steelers spread the field his mental processing looked slow, which when you go 5 wide you simply can't hold the ball for as long as he was on some plays. Trying not to overreact considering he looked like this last year for most of the first half of the season, but Haley is gone so you can't use that excuse. Ben may be physically fit, but he does not look like a player who was prepared to play football today.

3. Jesse James: Did a whole lot of nothing, outside of letting a ball go right through his hands for an INT when the Steelers were driving in the first half. Let's pray Vance McDonald can be healthy soon, and for longer than a game or two.

4. Alejandro Villanueva: Sorry FC, your boy got abused by Garrett. Not a game that will go on his highlight film to say the least.

5. Antonio Brown: Didn't look right all game. That had a lot to do with Denzel Ward, who looks to be a fantastic rookie. I'm going to chalk up a lot of his day to coming back from injury and missing the entire preseason. The TD grab was sick though.

Post subject: Re: Winners & Losers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:59 pm 

The thing about James being in there for McDonald is that his run blocking is magnitudes worse. That is why they were bringing Chuks in there as the 3rd T/blocking TE.

Kind of telegraph things when you do that. McDonald is a very good/great blocker.

I agree on Dupree, I think he was much more natural rushing from the right side, and his speed and quickness was much more evident.

I agree on Bostic, but I did notice that Vince Williams was sliding off some tackles where he could have stopped the RB for no gain. It did seem like the Browns were able to take advantage when we were waving in the subs to give the starters a break.

I know Big Al made the Pro Bowl last season but I don't quite have him rated that highly. Yeah, I think he can do the job at LT but I don't picture him as a real Pro Bowl, All Pro left tackle that can handle the best pass rushers without help.

I do think that they need to get James Washington involved as soon as possible. Yeah, maybe he is nursing an injury still and they don't want to push things with him but Hunter just does not have the hands or combativeness or all around game that Washington can provide.

I know the offense is a work in progress but they really need to get it going, Switzer, Washington and McDonald need to be important parts of it as soon as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:00 pm 

Loser? Mike Tomlin

Coaches in his fears. Rarely goes for the dagger.

Undisciplined is a constant on his teams.

Beyond sick of it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:00 pm 

Agree with most of that.....and nail-on-the-head with Ben, for the most part. I saw some great things from Ben. I saw some really awful, mindfuckingly dumb things. But mainly I saw a guy who needed more reps in preseason.

I disagree on Dupree. He should be in the "didn't lose" camp. It WAS his best game. It was also not really that good of a game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:02 pm 

Quote:
@AKinkhabwala
#Steelers commit six turnovers, but in OT Cam Sutton picks a pass off and TJ Watt blocks a field goal. And so, it’s a tie. Still, not one player said he felt like he escaped w/ that tie.
“This feels like a loss,” captain and DE Cam Heyward said. “It sucks. https://twitter.com/AKinkhabwala/status ... -a-loss%2F
Everytime you look at your standing at the end of every week think about the taste of this "loss" and let that guide your intentions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:02 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Agree with most of that.....and nail-on-the-head with Ben, for the most part. I saw some great things from Ben. I saw some really awful, mindfuckingly dumb things. But mainly I saw a guy who needed more reps in preseason.

I disagree on Dupree. He should be in the "didn't lose" camp. It WAS his best game. It was also not really that good of a game.

Ben's pocket presence was atrocious. I kept saying (as I did in the Arians years) "Throw the fucking ball Ben" to the point that my dog was afraid of me...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:04 pm 

I'm going to add Sutton to the list of winners. I know that he had some poor plays, but he basically saved the game with his interception and breakup in OT.

Fartie Burns is a jagoff and I think Sutton should be starting over him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:05 pm 

Sutton may be starting but not for Burns. Depending on how bad the "hammy" injury Haden left the game with is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:08 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
Ben's pocket presence was atrocious.

I'm not sure I agree.....Not sure I disagree.

He was pressing and trying to do too much. Doesn't make much sense, other than that's an offense completely out-of-sync.

Lack of reps. Many people called this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:18 pm 

yes Been was off today looked horrible and i agree burns needs to ride the bench.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:32 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Sutton may be starting but not for Burns. Depending on how bad the "hammy" injury Haden left the game with is.

Good point. Shit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:37 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
yes Been was off today looked horrible and i agree burns needs to ride the bench.
Haven't scrubbed film, but I remember Tyrod Taylor scrambling multiple times because there was nobody open. Secondary seemed to do it's job.

Maybe burns had something to do with that? They were targeting Sutton. A newbie.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:41 pm 

Jordan Berry also sucked cock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:43 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
He did. Wile was picked up off waivers by the vikes too. Stuck with Berry for the season. Par for the course I guess. We do what we do?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 pm 

yes the defense in the secondary did ok most of the game but i don't think Burns is going to be the guy . Yes FUCKING KEEPING Berry is mind boggling.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:48 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Goes without saying...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:50 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Goes without saying...

Literally was just typing that. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 pm 

How they kept him is mind boggling

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:55 pm 

Massive loser was Justin Hunter. 6 yards on 5 targets, only one catch. He’s playing as the primary deep threat right now despite a career of evidence that says he sucks. The sooner James Washington gets those reps the better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:56 pm 

SP wrote:
Massive loser was Justin Hunter. 6 yards on 5 targets, only one catch. He’s playing as the primary deep threat right now despite a career of evidence that says he sucks. The sooner James Washington gets those reps the better.

Did Washington appear on offense? I don’t recall seeing him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:00 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
Haven't scrubbed film, but I remember Tyrod Taylor scrambling multiple times because there was nobody open. Secondary seemed to do it's job.

Maybe burns had something to do with that? They were targeting Sutton. A newbie.

I’m scrubbing film before I go to bed. I use a Bell and Howell 8mm film projector.

What do you use?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:50 am 

SP wrote:

He had one of the 3 TD's in a row that got called back for some odd BS (the refs were so bad).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:53 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

I’m scrubbing film before I go to bed. I use a Bell and Howell 8mm film projector.

What do you use?

55" UHD TV with NFL app and all 22 film or full replay from gamepass or just grab a torrent and then stream to the tv from my computer.

Here is the torrent link for the Steelers tie vs Browns
https://www.sport-video.org.ua/Cleveland%20Browns%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Steelers%2009.09.18.mkv.torrent

https://www.sport-video.org.ua/americanfootball.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:31 am 

Jesse James 3 catches for 60 yds all kept drives going. As far as his blocking, I’d like to hear more opinions because I think his blocking has improved. Outlaw is only 24 years old which is how old Miller was his 2nd season. The interception, he got a fast high pass with a wet ball that he didn’t even get 2 hands on. James is pretty sure handed. That was a very difficult pass for anyone. I think Outlaw is a good player who hasn’t peaked yet.

Justin Hunter. Ok, he didn’t have any drops. Ben was not hitting him. He had a touchdown if not for a holding call. Washington is probably better, but I root for Hunter.

My biggest issue was not giving Ridley carries in the 4th Quarter for a worn out Conner. Conner played a heroic game, but running him till the wheels come off will not help his season. And he was banged up and tired in the 4th. Think about it. Every good NFL team except the Steelers uses backup RB to share the touches.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:11 am 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Jesse James 3 catches for 60 yds all kept drives going. As far as his blocking, I’d like to hear more opinions because I think his blocking has improved. Outlaw is only 24 years old which is how old Miller was his 2nd season. The interception, he got a fast high pass with a wet ball that he didn’t even get 2 hands on. James is pretty sure handed. That was a very difficult pass for anyone. I think Outlaw is a good player who hasn’t peaked yet.

Justin Hunter. Ok, he didn’t have any drops. Ben was not hitting him. He had a touchdown if not for a holding call. Washington is probably better, but I root for Hunter.

My biggest issue was not giving Ridley carries in the 4th Quarter for a worn out Conner. Conner played a heroic game, but running him till the wheels come off will not help his season. And he was banged up and tired in the 4th. Think about it. Every good NFL team except the Steelers uses backup RB to share the touches.

Even the teams that are not good do this.