It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 am 

Scunge wrote:
Conner leading the NFL in rushing after the first game is significant to me because it paints a picture about this offense and Bell.

Remember in 2015 when Williams started 10 games in place of Bell and rushed for over 900 yards, had 40 catches and scored 11 TDs?

Remember in 2016 how Williams started the first two games of the season and was leading the NFL in rushing after those first two games?

And now here we are in 2018, and James Conner is at the top of the list, leading the NFL in rushing with his 135 yards.

It is pretty obvious that Bell, just like Williams and Conner thrives in a run offense that CAN MAKE ANY TALENTED RB LOOK GREAT!!!

Sorry but that is game over for Bell. How much proof do the Steelers need to see that Bell does not make the offense, instead it is the offense that can make the RB great.

Your point is exactly right, Scunge

This is a RB friendly offense with a conservative RB fanboy HC

Conner's 11.4 Y/R in that game shits on 7.7 Y/R

If Conner is going to continue to shit on Bell's Y/R and if he keeps his overall game up, then I would split the snaps with those two.

Laveon Bell is the most overrated player in the NFL

Conner in his first start had a TD run of 22 yds... a big play in the game. Slow motion had a total of 2 runs over 20 yds the entire season last year. This is significant, folks, if Conner can keep it up. I see no reason why he can't except for run the wheels off Tomlin wearing him down.

Last edited by Havoc on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am 

What Conner also shows is the Burst of Speed that Bell does not IMO . I guess Bell will have to hope a team overpays him next season but getting over 14 million is a big risk on his part. As for me I could not care if Bell came back or if the steelers pulled their offer sheet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:46 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
What Conner also shows is the Burst of Speed that Bell does not IMO . I guess Bell will have to hope a team overpays him next season but getting over 14 million is a big risk on his part. As for me I could not care if Bell came back or if the steelers pulled their offer sheet

I completely agree - Connor has the burst that Bell no longer has. That's what makes this review of the situation so baffling

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2463 ... rs-replace

ESPN wrote:
Less afraid of Conner's game-breaking ability than they are of Bell's, the Browns' defensive coaches designed a plan to keep as many people in coverage as possible and limit the damage done by superstar wideout Antonio Brown. This was a huge reason for the three interceptions Ben Roethlisberger threw and, to a certain extent, the four sacks he took.

"Conner's a good back, and he can do a lot of things," Browns safety Jabrill Peppers said after the game. "But he doesn't offer everything Le'Veon offers as far as explosive ability."

While I agree that the Browns had more people in coverage, I can't understand how anyone.... Graziano from ESPN or Peppers thinks that Bell has been explosive over the last year and if he reported now I'd be shocked if he had any significant jump.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:01 pm 

Players can buy into the overrating of players, as well. As for the BSPN "reporter," well, they're basically the source. I'd be fine rolling with JC for the rest of the season, provided that he gets spelled a little more regularly in the games. Have to remember, carries-wise, he's essentially a rookie when it comes to this sort of volume. There will be a wall unless it's managed better than this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:04 pm 

The weather was a total mess, but did everyone see how different Conner was running after the fumble? It was protect the ball at all costs, which is understandable, but even if that means to the detriment of picking up more yards.

Would have been a perfect time to throw the vet Ridley in there, who looked great during preseason, to pick up some much needed yards. Maybe turn Boz’ 41 yarder into a 36 yarder. Maddening.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:06 pm 

Stillerz Bar wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

I completely agree - Connor has the burst that Bell no longer has. That's what makes this review of the situation so baffling

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2463 ... rs-replace

ESPN wrote:
Less afraid of Conner's game-breaking ability than they are of Bell's, the Browns' defensive coaches designed a plan to keep as many people in coverage as possible and limit the damage done by superstar wideout Antonio Brown. This was a huge reason for the three interceptions Ben Roethlisberger threw and, to a certain extent, the four sacks he took.

"Conner's a good back, and he can do a lot of things," Browns safety Jabrill Peppers said after the game. "But he doesn't offer everything Le'Veon offers as far as explosive ability."

While I agree that the Browns had more people in coverage, I can't understand how anyone.... Graziano from ESPN or Peppers thinks that Bell has been explosive over the last year and if he reported now I'd be shocked if he had any significant jump.

The perception that is out there is mind numbing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:07 pm 

Nah. Conner is an “every down back”. That obviously means he literally needs to play every down.

Duh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:15 pm 

Ice wrote:
Players can buy into the overrating of players, as well. As for the BSPN "reporter," well, they're basically the source. I'd be fine rolling with JC for the rest of the season, provided that he gets spelled a little more regularly in the games. Have to remember, carries-wise, he's essentially a rookie when it comes to this sort of volume. There will be a wall unless it's managed better than this.
I'll go out on a limb, play devils advocate and get slammed for it.

What if the coaching staff wants to see what or where his wall is. Physically and mentally. If Conner proves he can replace ALL of Bells reps with success, that makes Bell irrelevant. That doesn't mean they won't spell him later, but I'm guessing it might be a recognizance mission and a signal to Bell. "Negotiate in good faith or get lost. We have your replacement already."

The steelers though have an MO. RB by committee isn't one part of it, and they also don't show their cards this early in the season. They might have 2 RB sets or plays designed for Ridley and Samuel's they don't want to put on tape. But I agree with most that giving conner every single rep will make his rookie wall come sooner, and keep the other RB's cold with zero game experience to acclimate when necessary. Like when conner goes down with injury or gets winded.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:26 pm 

Another injury just came out, DeCastro broke his right hand.

Might play thru it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:39 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Ice wrote:
I'll go out on a limb, play devils advocate and get slammed for it.

What if the coaching staff wants to see what or where his wall is. Physically and mentally. If Conner proves he can replace ALL of Bells reps with success, that makes Bell irrelevant. That doesn't mean they won't spell him later, but I'm guessing it might be a recognizance mission and a signal to Bell. "Negotiate in good faith or get lost. We have your replacement already."

The steelers though have an MO. RB by committee isn't one part of it, and they also don't show their cards this early in the season. They might have 2 RB sets or plays designed for Ridley and Samuel's they don't want to put on tape. But I agree with most that giving conner every single rep will make his rookie wall come sooner, and keep the other RB's cold with zero game experience to acclimate when necessary. Like when conner goes down with injury or gets winded.

I see your angle and I could buy it but:
1) Tomlin has a history of running the wheels off. I doubt this is anything different or some sort of master plan behind it.
2) If your theory WAS true, the obvious take is "well if he can't handle it, we've injured a key depth component". So you basically fragged your team at the expense of sending some message

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next