It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4744
Stillerz Bar wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:
What Conner also shows is the Burst of Speed that Bell does not IMO . I guess Bell will have to hope a team overpays him next season but getting over 14 million is a big risk on his part. As for me I could not care if Bell came back or if the steelers pulled their offer sheet

I completely agree - Connor has the burst that Bell no longer has. That's what makes this review of the situation so baffling

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2463 ... rs-replace

ESPN wrote:
Less afraid of Conner's game-breaking ability than they are of Bell's, the Browns' defensive coaches designed a plan to keep as many people in coverage as possible and limit the damage done by superstar wideout Antonio Brown. This was a huge reason for the three interceptions Ben Roethlisberger threw and, to a certain extent, the four sacks he took.

"Conner's a good back, and he can do a lot of things," Browns safety Jabrill Peppers said after the game. "But he doesn't offer everything Le'Veon offers as far as explosive ability."

While I agree that the Browns had more people in coverage, I can't understand how anyone.... Graziano from ESPN or Peppers thinks that Bell has been explosive over the last year and if he reported now I'd be shocked if he had any significant jump.


The perception that is out there is mind numbing.






Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 5086
Nah. Conner is an “every down back”. That obviously means he literally needs to play every down.

Duh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 7474
Ice wrote:
Players can buy into the overrating of players, as well. As for the BSPN "reporter," well, they're basically the source. I'd be fine rolling with JC for the rest of the season, provided that he gets spelled a little more regularly in the games. Have to remember, carries-wise, he's essentially a rookie when it comes to this sort of volume. There will be a wall unless it's managed better than this.
I'll go out on a limb, play devils advocate and get slammed for it.

What if the coaching staff wants to see what or where his wall is. Physically and mentally. If Conner proves he can replace ALL of Bells reps with success, that makes Bell irrelevant. That doesn't mean they won't spell him later, but I'm guessing it might be a recognizance mission and a signal to Bell. "Negotiate in good faith or get lost. We have your replacement already."

The steelers though have an MO. RB by committee isn't one part of it, and they also don't show their cards this early in the season. They might have 2 RB sets or plays designed for Ridley and Samuel's they don't want to put on tape. But I agree with most that giving conner every single rep will make his rookie wall come sooner, and keep the other RB's cold with zero game experience to acclimate when necessary. Like when conner goes down with injury or gets winded.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1748
Another injury just came out, DeCastro broke his right hand.

Might play thru it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 5165
COR-TEN wrote:
Ice wrote:
Players can buy into the overrating of players, as well. As for the BSPN "reporter," well, they're basically the source. I'd be fine rolling with JC for the rest of the season, provided that he gets spelled a little more regularly in the games. Have to remember, carries-wise, he's essentially a rookie when it comes to this sort of volume. There will be a wall unless it's managed better than this.
I'll go out on a limb, play devils advocate and get slammed for it.

What if the coaching staff wants to see what or where his wall is. Physically and mentally. If Conner proves he can replace ALL of Bells reps with success, that makes Bell irrelevant. That doesn't mean they won't spell him later, but I'm guessing it might be a recognizance mission and a signal to Bell. "Negotiate in good faith or get lost. We have your replacement already."

The steelers though have an MO. RB by committee isn't one part of it, and they also don't show their cards this early in the season. They might have 2 RB sets or plays designed for Ridley and Samuel's they don't want to put on tape. But I agree with most that giving conner every single rep will make his rookie wall come sooner, and keep the other RB's cold with zero game experience to acclimate when necessary. Like when conner goes down with injury or gets winded.


I see your angle and I could buy it but:
1) Tomlin has a history of running the wheels off. I doubt this is anything different or some sort of master plan behind it.
2) If your theory WAS true, the obvious take is "well if he can't handle it, we've injured a key depth component". So you basically fragged your team at the expense of sending some message

_________________
#CdnSteelerFanStrong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 13291
COR-TEN wrote:
... "Negotiate in good faith or get lost. ...


What exactly do you think is being negotiated?

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:00 am
Posts: 1555
Location: Hawaii
COR-TEN wrote:
Ice wrote:
Players can buy into the overrating of players, as well. As for the BSPN "reporter," well, they're basically the source. I'd be fine rolling with JC for the rest of the season, provided that he gets spelled a little more regularly in the games. Have to remember, carries-wise, he's essentially a rookie when it comes to this sort of volume. There will be a wall unless it's managed better than this.
I'll go out on a limb, play devils advocate and get slammed for it.

What if the coaching staff wants to see what or where his wall is. Physically and mentally. If Conner proves he can replace ALL of Bells reps with success, that makes Bell irrelevant. That doesn't mean they won't spell him later, but I'm guessing it might be a recognizance mission and a signal to Bell. "Negotiate in good faith or get lost. We have your replacement already."

The steelers though have an MO. RB by committee isn't one part of it, and they also don't show their cards this early in the season. They might have 2 RB sets or plays designed for Ridley and Samuel's they don't want to put on tape. But I agree with most that giving conner every single rep will make his rookie wall come sooner, and keep the other RB's cold with zero game experience to acclimate when necessary. Like when conner goes down with injury or gets winded.



He was in all but one play.

Wonder why he fatigued late in the game.



https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index ... elers.html

While Tomlin said he is comfortable using veteran backup Stevan Ridley, too, he also does not have reservations about Conner's heavy workload.

"Man I watched that guy tote that ball a lot next door. I think he's been doing that for a long time. I think he's used to that. I think he gets better with use. I think that was one of the things that was attractive about him," Tomlin said. "I know - what was that - his sophomore year I think when he scored all of those touchdowns?

"I mean, he likes to carry the football. He warms up to it."



Pretty sure the YPC diminished. Albeit with the increased conservativeness.





At least Bell is enjoying the good life...

http://m.tmz.com/#!2018/09/11/leveon-be ... b-holdout/


Last edited by AirRescueFF on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 13291
COR-TEN wrote:
They might have 2 RB sets or plays designed for Ridley and Samuel's they don't want to put on tape.


LMFAO....completely forgot about Tomlin saving plays for games that matter :lol:

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:28 am
Posts: 347
then there is this: http://www.tmz.com/2018/09/11/leveon-be ... b-holdout/


eally looks like he cares about playing...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 13291
SteelWill wrote:


That's A LOT of gold chain....does Bell think he's a rapper or something? :lol:

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1981
Was the 1 handed grab by Conner an outlier or did he do that at Pitt. I thought I read that they didn’t throw to him much in college and had read elsewhere that “they” didn’t think he had great hands. Any Pitt experts able to chime in?

I actually think that was my favorite play of the game on many levels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 2182
The one thing about Ridley that probably gives Tomlin pause is that when you look at Ridley's 2 year high with New England, the two seasons where he rushed for over 2,000 yards and had 19 TDs, there were also 8 fumbles in there too.

Maybe Tomlin was afraid of putting Ridley out there for fear of fumbling??

I find it ironic that there is still this narrative, this story out there that Bell is still explosive. It has even been spun to the point that Bell and his agent have created this story that the reason his 20+, 40+ splash plays are declining is because he is being overused, given too many touches.

I of course think all of that is bullshit.

In terms of Conner being less explosive than Bell, here is some perspective. Bell had 53 plays of 10+ yards in 2017 in 15 games played.

So, that is an average of 3.5 plays per game where Bell broke a 10+ yard run or catch.

Conner? In his first start of his career? How many plays over 10+ yards plays did he produce? 3? 4?, 5? Nope.

Conner in his first game, produced 7 plays over 10+ yards!

22, 19, 17, 15, 12, 12, 10

Yeah, early days, but if you project that out over a 15 game season like Bell, that would be 105 plays over 10+ yards??

_________________
Munch for HC!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 11301
If Tomlin didn’t put Ridley out there because he’s afraid he would fumble, then he shouldn’t even be on the roster. It’s indefensible.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4954
Havoc wrote:
Scunge wrote:
Conner leading the NFL in rushing after the first game is significant to me because it paints a picture about this offense and Bell.

Remember in 2015 when Williams started 10 games in place of Bell and rushed for over 900 yards, had 40 catches and scored 11 TDs?

Remember in 2016 how Williams started the first two games of the season and was leading the NFL in rushing after those first two games?

And now here we are in 2018, and James Conner is at the top of the list, leading the NFL in rushing with his 135 yards.

It is pretty obvious that Bell, just like Williams and Conner thrives in a run offense that CAN MAKE ANY TALENTED RB LOOK GREAT!!!

Sorry but that is game over for Bell. How much proof do the Steelers need to see that Bell does not make the offense, instead it is the offense that can make the RB great.


Your point is exactly right, Scunge

This is a RB friendly offense with a conservative RB fanboy HC

Conner's 11.4 Y/R in that game shits on 7.7 Y/R

If Conner is going to continue to shit on Bell's Y/R and if he keeps his overall game up, then I would split the snaps with those two.

Laveon Bell is the most overrated player in the NFL

Conner in his first start had a TD run of 22 yds... a big play in the game. Slow motion had a total of 2 runs over 20 yds the entire season last year. This is significant, folks, if Conner can keep it up. I see no reason why he can't except for run the wheels off Tomlin wearing him down.


^^^^1000% correct


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 4954
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Was the 1 handed grab by Conner an outlier or did he do that at Pitt. I thought I read that they didn’t throw to him much in college and had read elsewhere that “they” didn’t think he had great hands. Any Pitt experts able to chime in?

I actually think that was my favorite play of the game on many levels.


Pitt sucks and couldn't throw to the RB in space (or any other receiver in space for that matter)

It was just easier to hand off to Connor and let him run. And he did that really well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 8179
Orangesteel wrote:
If Tomlin didn’t put Ridley out there because he’s afraid he would fumble, then he shouldn’t even be on the roster. It’s indefensible.

Nah...Aviators doesn’t live in his fears.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 5117
I agree if he feels he is a libility why keep Ridley its a joke .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4744
Chalk Talk on 3 Conner runs including his 2 TDs

https://www.steelers.com/video/chalk-talk-steelers-at-browns


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm
Posts: 1482
It does make me wonder how much of the bell holdout is due to tomlin and Steelers O philosophy.

Does a more diversified offense and different personality get bell back for game 1?

I’m starting to believe maybe.

One clue is bells agent said Kevin Colbert would overuse bell under the tag. Kevin Colbert doesn’t call plays. I think that was his agents vieled comments that Steelers assume bell will do it all all the time.

Not saying the hold out is right I’m just saying the other side has a pretty clear argument


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:48 pm
Posts: 999
it's still yggy wrote:
It does make me wonder how much of the bell holdout is due to tomlin and Steelers O philosophy.

Does a more diversified offense and different personality get bell back for game 1?

I’m starting to believe maybe.

One clue is bells agent said Kevin Colbert would overuse bell under the tag. Kevin Colbert doesn’t call plays. I think that was his agents vieled comments that Steelers assume bell will do it all all the time.

Not saying the hold out is right I’m just saying the other side has a pretty clear argument


I say BS - players do not get to decide.

That said, if Bell, or any player, really thought they were being over taxed...injury timeout? How hard would it be for a player to say their groin or hamstring hurts and rest up? Bell wants the carries, he wants the stats, wants the glory, wants the money. He's a truly great player, but he's the worst kind of team player you could ever imagine. Selfish. I recall in an interview where someone asked him about getting tired later in the game with all the carries and he responded that is how plays best, actually gets better as the game goes along.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm
Posts: 1482
VASteelerGuy wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:
It does make me wonder how much of the bell holdout is due to tomlin and Steelers O philosophy.

Does a more diversified offense and different personality get bell back for game 1?

I’m starting to believe maybe.

One clue is bells agent said Kevin Colbert would overuse bell under the tag. Kevin Colbert doesn’t call plays. I think that was his agents vieled comments that Steelers assume bell will do it all all the time.

Not saying the hold out is right I’m just saying the other side has a pretty clear argument


I say BS - players do not get to decide.

That said, if Bell, or any player, really thought they were being over taxed...injury timeout? How hard would it be for a player to say their groin or hamstring hurts and rest up? Bell wants the carries, he wants the stats, wants the glory, wants the money. He's a truly great player, but he's the worst kind of team player you could ever imagine. Selfish. I recall in an interview where someone asked him about getting tired later in the game with all the carries and he responded that is how plays best, actually gets better as the game goes along.


Well bell complained about PRACTICE snaps last year so it’s clearly on his mind.

Perch posted the carries and Conner had double the work as those other rb.

Maybe bells not so crazy or demanding two times to pay when he does two times the work.

But the point is if he were in a more diversified offense where a running back had somewhere in the 15 snap counts. Where in offense of coordinators spread the ball around more. Where he wasn’t asked to carry the offense. Would he be more amenable to returning in playing out a single tag year or even taking that longer-term deal?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I ride with James Conner
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:48 pm
Posts: 999
it's still yggy wrote:
VASteelerGuy wrote:
it's still yggy wrote:
It does make me wonder how much of the bell holdout is due to tomlin and Steelers O philosophy.

Does a more diversified offense and different personality get bell back for game 1?

I’m starting to believe maybe.

One clue is bells agent said Kevin Colbert would overuse bell under the tag. Kevin Colbert doesn’t call plays. I think that was his agents vieled comments that Steelers assume bell will do it all all the time.

Not saying the hold out is right I’m just saying the other side has a pretty clear argument


I say BS - players do not get to decide.

That said, if Bell, or any player, really thought they were being over taxed...injury timeout? How hard would it be for a player to say their groin or hamstring hurts and rest up? Bell wants the carries, he wants the stats, wants the glory, wants the money. He's a truly great player, but he's the worst kind of team player you could ever imagine. Selfish. I recall in an interview where someone asked him about getting tired later in the game with all the carries and he responded that is how plays best, actually gets better as the game goes along.


Well bell complained about PRACTICE snaps last year so it’s clearly on his mind.

Perch posted the carries and Conner had double the work as those other rb.

Maybe bells not so crazy or demanding two times to pay when he does two times the work.

But the point is if he were in a more diversified offense where a running back had somewhere in the 15 snap counts. Where in offense of coordinators spread the ball around more. Where he wasn’t asked to carry the offense. Would he be more amenable to returning in playing out a single tag year or even taking that longer-term deal?


Could you imagine the NFL that allowed players to set the conditions for how many snaps or plays they were comfortable with? I go back to my statement, if in fact Bell felt he was being used to much, why not go to the coach and/or complain about an injury? Players want to break records? Right? Bell's yards per carry were not that great last year. If the yards per carry were high at the beginning of the year and dropped off towards the end because he was over worked, I could see your point but that's not the case. Ironically, he was worse last year than in 2016.

The real issue is he wants record money because he believes he is the best player in the NFL. It's become a distraction at this point, so I hope he eventually shows up, finishes out, and moves on.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group