It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-watch II
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49 pm 

Welp that was tough to see again. Big names of interest to start by unit:

Secondary: ugly. Burns got shoved at LOS and gifted GB easy completion on as basic a route as you will see. That sums up PS secondary. Coty S was horrible, awful and worse. He got beat by my count 5 times on 6 throws. He looked like Gay did last season: slow and like the game was passing him by. On one throw he didn't get beat? He got away with blatant PI on a deep ball. Edmunds & Allen (see below). Barnett outside of the slant debacle actually played well. Tackled well and covered well. He took a poor angle on slant and TBF wasn't helped by Coty S being beaten so badly off LOS. Summers (30 I think) kid late on looked better than Coty S, much better. I also thought Marcus Golden was solid.

OLBs: Dupree was ok but got handled in his 3 pass rushes v GB LT (a pro-bowler I believe). Not an excuse because LT was immediately setting up to the outside. If Dupree merely fakes outside rush and powers inside? He was in. Surely they see this on film? Chickillo is imho not good enough to be a backup. Runs himself out of the play, misses tackles and the occasion pressure? Nah, time to move on. 41 fella was actually alright. Better than Chick, not saying much

ILBs: Williams was decent as was Thomas (TBF v scrubs) the rest? Fuck me that was ugly. Dirty Red is not NFL material. He misses tackles and is so damn slow he is out of plays at the snap of the ball. Bostic had big gaffe on PI (a theme) otherwise wasn't horrible but he didn't do anything to make me see a huge difference in the trash they had last season. Fort is fast and explosive but he misses tackles as well. I expect an addition via trade or late waiver wire grab shortly.

Dline: Tuitt was half-assing it. Almost as if he doesn't want to get hurt again. On some plays, he was barely making an effort. It was weird to watch. Shade tree: sure can shove an oline anywhere he wants to but just can't seem to get off the block. I would like to see him on 3rd down. Fuck his run D. Let him blow up the center, collapse the pocket and let others come in and clean up.

QBs: rookie (see below). Dobbs was ok not great. Many are giving him praise but frankly if not for Washington and some other good fortune could easily have tossed 4 Ints. His TD the other way? Uglier than Rudolph. FFS he had just seen Rudolph get burned! Sure made Josh Jackson look good (Washington beat him on their only play in coverage). I initially thought he played quite well and yes there is something to be said about allowing WR to go up and get the ball but man he is late making decisions. I wish he had more time but I believe he has 2 games left in PS then on to another team's roster or PS.

RBs: they all played well. 2-saint looks a completely different runner. I have no idea where this burst came from ...someone might want to check his pee. Others of note I covered below.

WRs: Hunter made one decent play but I much prefer Paterson. Hunter is at best a JAG who can't play teams. Paterson is always around the ball on Teams and has potential. Doubt FO sees it that way ...

Oline: starters were good, really good. Gave Rudolph ample time and open up lanes for Conner to punish GB. Then out they came and life got way the fuck to interesting. I kept an eye on Gilbert. He looked good, really good. That will be a nice upgrade and should improve the running game. Finney is NFL starter material much in same way Hubbard was last season.

Draftees:

Edmunds: had a rough night. I loathe to excuse getting beat for 2 TDs, however, he had good coverage on both. No shame losing out to Rodgers and Graham (who he had decent coverage on but can't give Arod that much time). 2nd TD needs to get head around. TE and QB made a great play. In most circumstances, his coverage, especially on 2nd TD, would have been more than good enough. He did make a nice play on Teams with FF. The play that truly stunk? His missed tackle on a Vet TE in open field. He has to make that tackle or at very least slow player down so others can come in and clean up.

Washington: wasn't perfect but even v 1s you can see it. He got open a few times but as I will discuss Rudolph had a really poor night. Then he just began taking whatever the fuck he wanted. If and it is a big if, Washington continues to develop this well he will go a long way to solving some Red Zone issues.

Rudolph: the first throw he eyed it down and basically hung out a for sale sign. GB obliged. He got a bit better (throw to JuJu was excellent) but not much. In his mild defense, he wasn't helped by Jake Rodgers and RBs not bothering to block rushers. He needed to get punked and did. Can he learn from this? Hope so as he does even under pressure exhibit solid poise. His happy feet kicked in a bit after he got rocked by unblocked rushers but very few Qbs after a hit like that aren't going to be impacted. Has a ton of work to do but mostly needs to trust himself, set his feet and let his lower body & arm get the ball to targets. His feet got to narrow and of course lead to overthrows.

Chuks: I didn't pay as much attention as I did the first game. He got beat badly once by a UDFA GB is going gaga over. Was on the 4th and 6. Other than that was from what I did see: decent. Still a bit too reliant on his size to "catch blockers" needs to trust his hands and feet because he has them.

Marcus Allen: N/A. He is PS bound.

Samuels: much, much better. Looked confident and showed a good burst. On two consecutive plays broke tackles in the backfield and made decent yardage. I wanted PS to use in screen game on 1st down. GB was blitzing every other 1st down, catch them up the field, easy throw for Rudolph and allow JS to highlight running ability.

Frazier: did he play?

2nd Year Guys:

JuJu: great snag for TD. Why the fuck didn't they call a nice crosser to JuJu instead of a slow developing out to DHB? JuJu can make a contested catch if needed and was much more likely to offer a safer/easier throw to start the game. That out route was a disaster waiting to happen.

Conner: better and better. He ran with burst and power. If he gets the pass pro fixed he has potential to be RB1. I want to see him on a wheel route or even just a screen in the next game.

Sutton: not a good game. Got beat for easy, easy completion in 2nd QTR and got beat deep fortunately ball was underthrown. Secondary really struggled last night.

Dobbs: his stats look good but Washington bailed his ass out.

Brian Allen: ugly. Took a big risk diving for that ball. Just give up the 10 yards and make the tackle. The risk was not worth the reward. The PI was BS. Both players had hands on each other. This might push Allen to the bubble: big plays have a tendency to stick out. He needs to play much better.

Adams: he was better v the run but less impactful rushing the passer. Has some talent, that is obvious needs a season of practice, weight room and trusting himself.

UDFAs:

Paterson: quieter, though to be fair he did get open and got some poor throws from both Rudolph and Dobbs.

Deebo Jnr: this kid makes plays. He stacks and sheds, was in the backfield at least 3-4 times (did miss tackles) and again got excellent pressure on QB. Very limited snaps ...wonder why?

Matthew Thomas: he was more aggressive and it showed in the run game. Plus on his one deep seam coverage was stride for stride with TE giving QB nowhere to throw the ball. The play that truly impressed though? I realize he didn't make the tackle but given he started 15 yards plus behind an already in full stride WR? From a standing start if it hadn't been for that daft safety being in the way Thomas makes an unreal tackle.

Jake Rodgers (ok 7th rounder with Falcons originally): Ugly, uglier and ugliest. He got beat like a drum by the same guy that beat Chuks.

Feiler: he did ok but like most had one big gaffe. He completely whiffed on blitzing LBer who took down 2saint.

I had to suffer through GB TV coverage. JFC they were bad. The split screens interviews then the tiny screen of actual play? Anyone else find that irritating as fuck?

Overall: Poor performance lets hope it was a one-off ...though it is tough to overlook D's struggles, after a night to mull it over: it is still pre-season, GB had every defensive starter bar Matthews in v 2nd team oline for entire 1st half (after 3rd series PS oline starters took seats). D was missing Heyward, Watt, Hargrave (didn't play until later), Haden & Davis. D actually was good v the run. The thing that worries me and no doubt others: the middle of the field. Steelers have to improve there. I lost count of # seam routes netted GB big plays.

Side note: fuck me people on local TV are transcending dumb. Sideline reporter for Bills V Browns, just said: "Coach wants Bills to do same things they did so well last week, like having all 11 players on the field...."

This is my evaluation and it is done from a non-football expert eye. If others saw different I have zero issue with them saying so and giving reasons why. I'll try to do this each week of pre-season. If folks have players they want me to look at closer, let me know.

Post subject: Re: Re-watch II
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:01 pm 

Appreciate you views/ opinion.

Great depth/post. I fell asleep watching the game so really appreciate you taking the time to put all that here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:23 am 

Every year they have a camp with more hitting than most NFL teams, then they get to this point of the preseason and look moribund. I wouldn’t panic about anything. Next week, they’re at home, Ben plays, crowd is fired up, defense will play much, much better as a whole.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 am 

Rodgers has made a name for himself too clan. He can't go unnoticed anymore. Played solid (albeit vs scrubs) but he dominated his competition at times. I say give that man a roster spot. He'll likely not make the PS either someone will pick him off waivers or just snag him off the PS. Also like watching RJ Prince play guard. He has been solid as well. Not impressed with Hunter. I think he plays just enough to garner a roster spot and then tanks throughout the season stealing a paycheck. C-ya! ILB and pass rush..., Good God are they in serious trouble. Connor had a great night. Showed some YAC and poun-da-bawl potential. Loved watching him bowl over players through/after contact. Edmunds showed a tenacity to be in a play enough to either bat the ball or Intercept it. Still raw by NFL standards though. I love that his number is 34. The exact mirror opposite of a certain player that wore #43... ;) Washington is going to be awesome going forward. He may be the heir apparent along with Smith-Schuster once AB hangs 'em up. Okorafor looked solid whenever I was able to watch him. Played a lot of LT. I agree both Sutton and Allen struggled especially since this is their second go around and playing largely vs scrubs. Allen was robbed on the TD PI deal IMHO. Sutton was getting beat embarrassingly. Patterson wasn't as huge a contributor this last game but he's still in the discussion for a final 53 spot IMHO. The defense has a lot of work to do being prepared for this season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:21 pm 

Big Dan did well again. I think Dunbar and being a FA has made the light go on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:11 pm 

Good so far:
Starting OL
Washington
JuJu

Better than advertised:
Conner
Toussaint
Dobbs
Dupree
Patterson

Playing like crap but, hey, it's the preseason:
Tuitt
Secondary
Burnett
Bostic

Learning Curve:
Rudolph
Samuels
Sutton
Patrick Morris

Genuine Concern:
Brian Allen
Matakevich
Chickillo
Hargrave

Needs to move up the Depth Chart:
Adeniyi
Matthew Thomas
KJ Fort

Hurry Back:
Watt
AB
McDonald
Ben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 pm 

steelclan wrote:
This is my evaluation and it is done from a non-football expert eye. If others saw different I have zero issue with them saying so and giving reasons why. I'll try to do this each week of pre-season. If folks have players they want me to look at closer, let me know.

Good stuff, Clan

Thanks for posting your evaluation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:14 pm 

Havoc wrote:
steelclan wrote:

Good stuff, Clan

Thanks for posting your evaluation
I second that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:51 pm 

I noticed Frazier was nowhere near the field this week on the FG blocking team.

Rudolph was visibly nervous in his first start. Preseason or not. OLine wasn't the same without Pouncey and Foster.

Anyone else watching notice how energized Green Bay's defensive players were? I think that had a lot to do with their early success. Pittsburgh mistakes just exasperated their play.

Berry should be worried after his night of failure. Set Rogers and co. up for an easy score on Green Bay's first offensive series. Rogers faking out VWill was laughable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:11 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Every year they have a camp with more hitting than most NFL teams, then they get to this point of the preseason and look moribund. I wouldn’t panic about anything. Next week, they’re at home, Ben plays, crowd is fired up, defense will play much, much better as a whole.

Fair.