It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm
Posts: 3187
Suwanee88 wrote:
Outside of some new coaches and rookies, this is the same defense that was destroyed by Jax who I believe got better in the off season.

I will believe it when I see it with these guys.


Actually, I don't think they did on offense. They spent their first rounder on a dlineman, a 3rd on a safety, & signed no one of note in FA on O. Spent a 2nd on a long, gangly speed merchant in Chark. Who I didn't like at all (doesn't mean he won't be good of course). Jags also lost Hurns, Lewis, and Bortles has been awful in camp (yes I read Jags camp reports: shoot me now). I like Fournette and think he will have a good season due to the volume of carries, however, he is not exactly lightening fast and meh in the passing game. It means Bortles will have to rely on the rarely healthy Lee, some JAGs (Cole & Westbrook) and a rookie in Chark that unlike Washington hasn't flashed much at all. At TE they have a bunch of no names and ASJenkins the perennial has all the tools never plays like it guy. Oline is ok but not great. I expect teams to load the box and say to Bortles: "Go ahead make my day." I see the Jags as a mirror image of Cowher teams without the oline to match with a better secondary.

To win and get to an SB you have to have superior offense talent somewhere. Jags have no one who scares you. Jags Defense is great, however, they are prone to really bad games and if it comes in the playoffs I doubt they'll survive ...unless they face the PS :). Jags have gotten a ton of press in playoffs and pre-season. Yet none has covered what happened in that PS game. Probably bc there is no way to spin what Ben & Steeler offense did to them, once PS offense got collective heads out their asses ...eviscerated them all over the field.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 4364
steelclan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Outside of some new coaches and rookies, this is the same defense that was destroyed by Jax who I believe got better in the off season.

I will believe it when I see it with these guys.


Actually, I don't think they did on offense. They spent their first rounder on a dlineman, a 3rd on a safety, & signed no one of note in FA on O. Spent a 2nd on a long, gangly speed merchant in Chark. Who I didn't like at all (doesn't mean he won't be good of course). Jags also lost Hurns, Lewis, and Bortles has been awful in camp (yes I read Jags camp reports: shoot me now). I like Fournette and think he will have a good season due to the volume of carries, however, he is not exactly lightening fast and meh in the passing game. It means Bortles will have to rely on the rarely healthy Lee, some JAGs (Cole & Westbrook) and a rookie in Chark that unlike Washington hasn't flashed much at all. At TE they have a bunch of no names and ASJenkins the perennial has all the tools never plays like it guy. Oline is ok but not great. I expect teams to load the box and say to Bortles: "Go ahead make my day." I see the Jags as a mirror image of Cowher teams without the oline to match with a better secondary.

To win and get to an SB you have to have superior offense talent somewhere. Jags have no one who scares you. Jags Defense is great, however, they are prone to really bad games and if it comes in the playoffs I doubt they'll survive ...unless they face the PS :). Jags have gotten a ton of press in playoffs and pre-season. Yet none has covered what happened in that PS game. Probably bc there is no way to spin what Ben & Steeler offense did to them, once PS offense got collective heads out their asses ...eviscerated them all over the field.

I thought they signed a significant FA OL? Anyway if their OL is ho hum, then what does that say about our DL? They pushed our DL around badly in that game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1369
steelclan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Outside of some new coaches and rookies, this is the same defense that was destroyed by Jax who I believe got better in the off season.

I will believe it when I see it with these guys.


Actually, I don't think they did on offense. They spent their first rounder on a dlineman, a 3rd on a safety, & signed no one of note in FA on O. Spent a 2nd on a long, gangly speed merchant in Chark. Who I didn't like at all (doesn't mean he won't be good of course). Jags also lost Hurns, Lewis, and Bortles has been awful in camp (yes I read Jags camp reports: shoot me now). I like Fournette and think he will have a good season due to the volume of carries, however, he is not exactly lightening fast and meh in the passing game. It means Bortles will have to rely on the rarely healthy Lee, some JAGs (Cole & Westbrook) and a rookie in Chark that unlike Washington hasn't flashed much at all. At TE they have a bunch of no names and ASJenkins the perennial has all the tools never plays like it guy. Oline is ok but not great. I expect teams to load the box and say to Bortles: "Go ahead make my day." I see the Jags as a mirror image of Cowher teams without the oline to match with a better secondary.

To win and get to an SB you have to have superior offense talent somewhere. Jags have no one who scares you. Jags Defense is great, however, they are prone to really bad games and if it comes in the playoffs I doubt they'll survive ...unless they face the PS :). Jags have gotten a ton of press in playoffs and pre-season. Yet none has covered what happened in that PS game. Probably bc there is no way to spin what Ben & Steeler offense did to them, once PS offense got collective heads out their asses ...eviscerated them all over the field.


You failed to mention Allen Robinson will be back


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 pm
Posts: 1326
Hinestuff wrote:
steelclan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Outside of some new coaches and rookies, this is the same defense that was destroyed by Jax who I believe got better in the off season.

I will believe it when I see it with these guys.


Actually, I don't think they did on offense. They spent their first rounder on a dlineman, a 3rd on a safety, & signed no one of note in FA on O. Spent a 2nd on a long, gangly speed merchant in Chark. Who I didn't like at all (doesn't mean he won't be good of course). Jags also lost Hurns, Lewis, and Bortles has been awful in camp (yes I read Jags camp reports: shoot me now). I like Fournette and think he will have a good season due to the volume of carries, however, he is not exactly lightening fast and meh in the passing game. It means Bortles will have to rely on the rarely healthy Lee, some JAGs (Cole & Westbrook) and a rookie in Chark that unlike Washington hasn't flashed much at all. At TE they have a bunch of no names and ASJenkins the perennial has all the tools never plays like it guy. Oline is ok but not great. I expect teams to load the box and say to Bortles: "Go ahead make my day." I see the Jags as a mirror image of Cowher teams without the oline to match with a better secondary.

To win and get to an SB you have to have superior offense talent somewhere. Jags have no one who scares you. Jags Defense is great, however, they are prone to really bad games and if it comes in the playoffs I doubt they'll survive ...unless they face the PS :). Jags have gotten a ton of press in playoffs and pre-season. Yet none has covered what happened in that PS game. Probably bc there is no way to spin what Ben & Steeler offense did to them, once PS offense got collective heads out their asses ...eviscerated them all over the field.


You failed to mention Allen Robinson will be back


He will.....with the Bears.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4503
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Off topic, but who told Eric Mangini it was okay to wear a leprechaun wig on FS1 this morning?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1397
steelclan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:
Outside of some new coaches and rookies, this is the same defense that was destroyed by Jax who I believe got better in the off season.

I will believe it when I see it with these guys.


Actually, I don't think they did on offense. They spent their first rounder on a dlineman, a 3rd on a safety, & signed no one of note in FA on O. Spent a 2nd on a long, gangly speed merchant in Chark. Who I didn't like at all (doesn't mean he won't be good of course). Jags also lost Hurns, Lewis, and Bortles has been awful in camp (yes I read Jags camp reports: shoot me now). I like Fournette and think he will have a good season due to the volume of carries, however, he is not exactly lightening fast and meh in the passing game. It means Bortles will have to rely on the rarely healthy Lee, some JAGs (Cole & Westbrook) and a rookie in Chark that unlike Washington hasn't flashed much at all. At TE they have a bunch of no names and ASJenkins the perennial has all the tools never plays like it guy. Oline is ok but not great. I expect teams to load the box and say to Bortles: "Go ahead make my day." I see the Jags as a mirror image of Cowher teams without the oline to match with a better secondary.

To win and get to an SB you have to have superior offense talent somewhere. Jags have no one who scares you. Jags Defense is great, however, they are prone to really bad games and if it comes in the playoffs I doubt they'll survive ...unless they face the PS :). Jags have gotten a ton of press in playoffs and pre-season. Yet none has covered what happened in that PS game. Probably bc there is no way to spin what Ben & Steeler offense did to them, once PS offense got collective heads out their asses ...eviscerated them all over the field.

I don't know Clan. Using a Tomlinism, I think they are a team on the come. Their D is what it is....very, very good. I actually think Bortles is improving, the game is finally slowing down for him mentally and his mobility really helps their OLine and TE/WRs.. Their O Line is a big mauling group and not asked to pass protect all that long, which benefits them. They are serviceable and deep at TE, Fournette will be even better, Yeldon is OK and Grant is way underrated. Their WR group is underrated imo. Lee is pretty decent, Westbrook is getting better and is starting to catch everything in his radius, Moncrief can be above average when used properly (limited routes), Green = Eli Rogers and Chark will be inconsistent but make splash plays. They may not stretch the field all that much (Chark will now) but they can work the ball down the field pretty effectively with the PA pass. Coughlin has quietly done a very good job down there, imo. Although, I'm sure it's been easier when you haven't had to pay a franchise QB for the last four years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1369
:oops: And I have a live auction fantasy draft on Wednesday night.

It further strengthens your point 'Clan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm
Posts: 3187
You failed to mention Allen Robinson will be back[/quote]

Yep because he plays for the Bears.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm
Posts: 3187
Hinestuff wrote:
:oops: And I have a live auction fantasy draft on Wednesday night.

It further strengthens your point 'Clan.


Draft Chris Carson.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7252
Scunge wrote:
Well, for me, I fully expect things to be very bumpy in the first half of the season on defense. How can they not be? Many of you need to temper your expectations in the first half of the season because there are going to be growing pains, mistakes, lessons that have to be learned. Look at what has transpired or will transpire heading into the season.

1. Lake and John Mitchell are gone.
2. Dunbar and Bradley are newly hired position coaches that replaced them.
3. Mike Mitchell, Robert Golden, JJ Wilcox and Willie Gay are gone from the secondary.
4. Sean Davis is being moved to FS, they brought in Morgan Burnett to play SS and drafted Terrell Edmunds in the first round.
5. They are moving TJ Watt to LOLB to better maximize his skills and moving Bud Dupree to ROLB to hopefully likewise do the same.
6. With Gay gone, it is next man up with players like Cam Sutton and Brian Allen that will now be getting playing time. Hilton is the undisputed nickel CB but there are times when a 4th CB is on the field.
7. Jon Bostic was brought in not to replace Shazier but to at least not be the liability that Sean Spence was.

That is a lot of moving parts, a lot of pieces to the puzzle of crafting a great defense. It is not going to just come together in the first game of the regular season, or the 2nd, or the 6th. No, it will be a process and a 16 game season is a long length of time, a lot of growth and player development can happen from game one to game 16 and into the playoffs.

You look at the development of Mike Hilton last season. Or the development of JuJu. They were not just studs from the first game, fully realized dominant playmakers, no, it took time for them to get their bearings and develop and they did so rapidly.

What the defense will look like at the end of the season and what it looks like at the beginning will be like night and day. For those expecting a finalized dominant defense on opening day are setting themselves up for disappointment. You can't just decide to play more man to man coverage for example and expect them to be great at it in short order. There are going to be trying times ahead as players get burned, but learn and get better at it.

Agree. The Steelers will likely struggle the first half of the season. When it happens, we'll get the sarcastic "we're easing into the season" and "Tomlin sucks because he can't have his team ready early in the season" remarks. And I'm sure we'll lose some game we "should" win. Takes time to put new pieces together. What matters is how they're playing in December and January.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group