It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:21 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:
Well, to be fair, it was 37 points. You had two pick sixes and a night of awful punting that didn't help either. When you give Aaron Rodgers the ball at your 40 yard line, as the Packers got for their first drive, points are going to be had. Berry had an 18 yard punt in the second quarter. :lol: The D got no favors.

I expect the Steelers will make a trade within the next week for a LB. They traded a 5th for Brandon Boykin in 2015, a sixth for Justin Gilbert in 2016, and swapped a 4th rounder for a 5th with the Niners for Vance McDonald last year. Expect something similar soon.

The D has the potential to be a dumpster fire this year though. So many changes: Shazier gone with nothing close to his replacement, Sean Davis to FS (which should be "interesting" lol), Watt and Dupree switching sides, Morgan Burnett on a new team and another year older. Cam Heyward is coming off a career year that he likely won't repeat, and the D feasted on shit QBs and pressure by scheme last year. They could be a bottom 10 D this year for sure.

You guys are hilarious. Every year it’s the same poop in your depends after a couple of preseason games. They will figure out to make it work and have no worse than a top 15 D. Well add a Haden/McDonald and they will scheme their way to probably a top 10 D. Be aggressive on both sides of the ball and that’ll be enough.

Fair enough, I want to see Matthew Thomas given a shot on 3rd down to cover opponent's TEs. He can't be any worse and has shown albeit v backups he has some coverage skills.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:47 pm 

this was a weak link and sorry but our best coverage LB might be Fort but think the steelers will be looking hard to make an addition here

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 pm 

Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports
“For all these crybabies if not for 2 pick 6’s thrown by our offense we only lost by 3 points they defense played no better than ours we scored 34 points and plus the starters didn’t even play the whole first quarter wtf call yourselves steeler fans you guys really are pessimistic judging our whole season off practice games and if you a real fan you would know this the years we lose all or most of our preseason games we have awesome seasons that year.”
Run-on sentence/no punctuation guy from the Steelers’ official Facebook page had some fair points following the Steelers’ alarming 51-34 loss to the Packers at Lambeau Field in preseason game No. 2 on Thursday night.
It was just a preseason game; also, you take away those two pick-6’s, and things were actually a lot closer than the 17-point deficit indicated.
And like he said, so many starters — players the Steelers will be counting on in Week 1, such as Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell, Maurkice Pouncey, Vance McDonald (in theory), T.J. Watt, Cam Heyward, Joe Haden, Mike Hilton and Sean Davis didn’t see any action.
But I don’t think Run-on sentence/no punctuation guy was really thinking things through as to what took place on Thursday night. While nobody is really sweating Pittsburgh’s offensive prowess as the team prepares for a highly-anticipated 2018 regular season, the softness of the defense is still a concern.
Let’s face it, whether you want to admit it or not, what took place on Thursday night with all of those defensive starters sitting on the bench looked eerily similar to what took place against an injury-riddled Packers’ team late in the 2017 regular season at Heinz Field — a game in which Aaron Rodgers didn’t even play, while Ryan Shazier did.
It wasn’t so much the yardage the Steelers allowed or the Packers’ third-down efficiency. It wasn’t even so much that the Packers had scored 27 points before they were forced to punt.
Once again, there were so many missed tackles, so many bad angles to ball carriers. And in the middle of the field, it looked like Pittsburgh defenders had placed some of those South Side lawn-chairs between the seams because they knew Green Bay’s offensive players were going to want to park in their spots all night long.
Tyler Matakevich didn’t look like the answer at inside linebacker. As for Jon Bostic, maybe there was a reason he bounced among so many teams after entering the league in 2013.
L.J. Fort seems like he might have the answers if given the chance, but he’s been around here long enough that, if he truly did, we wouldn’t still be asking these questions.
The defense did hold Green Bay to 77 yards rushing, but why run the ball when your four quarterbacks — Aaron Rodgers and three other guys with much thinner resumes — can combine to throw for 280 yards and three touchdowns?
I did like what I saw from the veteran Morgan Burnett, along with the youngster, Terrell Edmunds. Unfortunately, while Edmunds appeared to do everything in his power while trying to cover tight end Jimmy Graham, he still looked like a boy next to a grown man during that first quarter touchdown pass from Rodgers (Willie Gay likely feels your pain, kiddo).
So while I don’t normally put much stock in preseason action, when a defense performs a lot like it did down the stretch and into the playoffs of the previous season — and that defense doesn’t seem to have found a way to compensate for the loss of its most indispensable player — I’m going to be a little concerned about the Steelers’ prospects in 2018.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:32 pm 

steelclan wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:
Well, to be fair, it was 37 points. You had two pick sixes and a night of awful punting that didn't help either. When you give Aaron Rodgers the ball at your 40 yard line, as the Packers got for their first drive, points are going to be had. Berry had an 18 yard punt in the second quarter. :lol: The D got no favors.

I expect the Steelers will make a trade within the next week for a LB. They traded a 5th for Brandon Boykin in 2015, a sixth for Justin Gilbert in 2016, and swapped a 4th rounder for a 5th with the Niners for Vance McDonald last year. Expect something similar soon.

The D has the potential to be a dumpster fire this year though. So many changes: Shazier gone with nothing close to his replacement, Sean Davis to FS (which should be "interesting" lol), Watt and Dupree switching sides, Morgan Burnett on a new team and another year older. Cam Heyward is coming off a career year that he likely won't repeat, and the D feasted on shit QBs and pressure by scheme last year. They could be a bottom 10 D this year for sure.

You guys are hilarious. Every year it’s the same poop in your depends after a couple of preseason games. They will figure out to make it work and have no worse than a top 15 D. Well add a Haden/McDonald and they will scheme their way to probably a top 10 D. Be aggressive on both sides of the ball and that’ll be enough.

Fair enough, I want to see Matthew Thomas given a shot on 3rd down to cover opponent's TEs. He can't be any worse and has shown albeit v backups he has some coverage skills.

Agreed. I knew there was going to be a noticeable amount of lost speed in losing Shazier, but wow do we look slow in the middle right now.

And to B2B's point: I was actually defending the D in that they didn't look as bad as the scoreboard indicated. But I do think with all the changes (and most importantly losing Shazier) there's a chance for a big drop off for this group. I wouldn't bet one way or another on it, but I think you have to consider the possibility that there could be a big drop off from the D this year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:47 pm 

TB wrote:

Agreed. I knew there was going to be a noticeable amount of lost speed in losing Shazier, but wow do we look slow in the middle right now.

And to B2B's point: I was actually defending the D in that they didn't look as bad as the scoreboard indicated. But I do think with all the changes (and most importantly losing Shazier) there's a chance for a big drop off for this group. I wouldn't bet one way or another on it, but I think you have to consider the possibility that there could be a big drop off from the D this year.

How
Many games did the D play without Shazier last year, with a much worse secondary, and an injured Tuitt/Hargrave/Dupree? Whoever they play at Mack will be better than Sean Spence.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:27 am 

Outside of some new coaches and rookies, this is the same defense that was destroyed by Jax who I believe got better in the off season.

I will believe it when I see it with these guys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:38 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
Outside of some new coaches and rookies, this is the same defense that was destroyed by Jax who I believe got better in the off season.

We've been having this discussion for 4-5 years now.....If this regains his form....And this guy takes the next step....And this rookie has an impact....And this FA upgrades what we had.

And every year it's a mixed bag, ultimately with the defense again falling well short of championship caliber.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 am 

Well, for me, I fully expect things to be very bumpy in the first half of the season on defense. How can they not be? Many of you need to temper your expectations in the first half of the season because there are going to be growing pains, mistakes, lessons that have to be learned. Look at what has transpired or will transpire heading into the season.

1. Lake and John Mitchell are gone.
2. Dunbar and Bradley are newly hired position coaches that replaced them.
3. Mike Mitchell, Robert Golden, JJ Wilcox and Willie Gay are gone from the secondary.
4. Sean Davis is being moved to FS, they brought in Morgan Burnett to play SS and drafted Terrell Edmunds in the first round.
5. They are moving TJ Watt to LOLB to better maximize his skills and moving Bud Dupree to ROLB to hopefully likewise do the same.
6. With Gay gone, it is next man up with players like Cam Sutton and Brian Allen that will now be getting playing time. Hilton is the undisputed nickel CB but there are times when a 4th CB is on the field.
7. Jon Bostic was brought in not to replace Shazier but to at least not be the liability that Sean Spence was.

That is a lot of moving parts, a lot of pieces to the puzzle of crafting a great defense. It is not going to just come together in the first game of the regular season, or the 2nd, or the 6th. No, it will be a process and a 16 game season is a long length of time, a lot of growth and player development can happen from game one to game 16 and into the playoffs.

You look at the development of Mike Hilton last season. Or the development of JuJu. They were not just studs from the first game, fully realized dominant playmakers, no, it took time for them to get their bearings and develop and they did so rapidly.

What the defense will look like at the end of the season and what it looks like at the beginning will be like night and day. For those expecting a finalized dominant defense on opening day are setting themselves up for disappointment. You can't just decide to play more man to man coverage for example and expect them to be great at it in short order. There are going to be trying times ahead as players get burned, but learn and get better at it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:54 am 

Scunge wrote:
Well, for me, I fully expect things to be very bumpy in the first half of the season on defense. How can they not be? Many of you need to temper your expectations in the first half of the season because there are going to be growing pains, mistakes, lessons that have to be learned. Look at what has transpired or will transpire heading into the season.

3. Mike Mitchell, Robert Golden, JJ Wilcox and Willie Gay are gone from the secondary.
4. Sean Davis is being moved to FS, they brought in Morgan Burnett to play SS and drafted Terrell Edmunds in the first round.
5. They are moving TJ Watt to LOLB to better maximize his skills and moving Bud Dupree to ROLB to hopefully likewise do the same.
6. With Gay gone, it is next man up with players like Cam Sutton and Brian Allen that will now be getting playing time. Hilton is the undisputed nickel CB but there are times when a 4th CB is on the field.
7. Jon Bostic was brought in not to replace Shazier but to at least not be the liability that Sean Spence was.

That is a lot of moving parts, a lot of pieces to the puzzle of crafting a great defense. It is not going to just come together in the first game of the regular season, or the 2nd, or the 6th. No, it will be a process and a 16 game season is a long length of time, a lot of growth and player development can happen from game one to game 16 and into the playoffs.

You look at the development of Mike Hilton last season. Or the development of JuJu. They were not just studs from the first game, fully realized dominant playmakers, no, it took time for them to get their bearings and develop and they did so rapidly.

What the defense will look like at the end of the season and what it looks like at the beginning will be like night and day. For those expecting a finalized dominant defense on opening day are setting themselves up for disappointment. You can't just decide to play more man to man coverage for example and expect them to be great at it in short order. There are going to be trying times ahead as players get burned, but learn and get better at it.

I agree Scunge, and not to get negative, but let's hope our offense scores a shit-ton of points early in the season, because we play almost all of our divisional games in about the first 9 weeks. If not, we could be scraping by and hoping for a wildcard spot come week 17.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:49 am 

Me, I don’t even care about defensive dominance.

What I’m looking for is not giving up big plays consistently and not falling apart late in games.

I think they’ll be better than league average on D. Maybe getting up to 6 or 7 ish.

My biggest concern is not LB but Keith butler. Like his mentor he’s too easy to out scheme. I do give him credit for probably rounding the D into shape for around a 10th ranking.

I just mainly don’t want to see big fluctuations. Season sack record. Goudged in the run game and big pass the practice plays. We need consistency more than dominance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:04 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:

Actually, I don't think they did on offense. They spent their first rounder on a dlineman, a 3rd on a safety, & signed no one of note in FA on O. Spent a 2nd on a long, gangly speed merchant in Chark. Who I didn't like at all (doesn't mean he won't be good of course). Jags also lost Hurns, Lewis, and Bortles has been awful in camp (yes I read Jags camp reports: shoot me now). I like Fournette and think he will have a good season due to the volume of carries, however, he is not exactly lightening fast and meh in the passing game. It means Bortles will have to rely on the rarely healthy Lee, some JAGs (Cole & Westbrook) and a rookie in Chark that unlike Washington hasn't flashed much at all. At TE they have a bunch of no names and ASJenkins the perennial has all the tools never plays like it guy. Oline is ok but not great. I expect teams to load the box and say to Bortles: "Go ahead make my day." I see the Jags as a mirror image of Cowher teams without the oline to match with a better secondary.

To win and get to an SB you have to have superior offense talent somewhere. Jags have no one who scares you. Jags Defense is great, however, they are prone to really bad games and if it comes in the playoffs I doubt they'll survive ...unless they face the PS :). Jags have gotten a ton of press in playoffs and pre-season. Yet none has covered what happened in that PS game. Probably bc there is no way to spin what Ben & Steeler offense did to them, once PS offense got collective heads out their asses ...eviscerated them all over the field.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 pm 

steelclan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

Actually, I don't think they did on offense. They spent their first rounder on a dlineman, a 3rd on a safety, & signed no one of note in FA on O. Spent a 2nd on a long, gangly speed merchant in Chark. Who I didn't like at all (doesn't mean he won't be good of course). Jags also lost Hurns, Lewis, and Bortles has been awful in camp (yes I read Jags camp reports: shoot me now). I like Fournette and think he will have a good season due to the volume of carries, however, he is not exactly lightening fast and meh in the passing game. It means Bortles will have to rely on the rarely healthy Lee, some JAGs (Cole & Westbrook) and a rookie in Chark that unlike Washington hasn't flashed much at all. At TE they have a bunch of no names and ASJenkins the perennial has all the tools never plays like it guy. Oline is ok but not great. I expect teams to load the box and say to Bortles: "Go ahead make my day." I see the Jags as a mirror image of Cowher teams without the oline to match with a better secondary.

To win and get to an SB you have to have superior offense talent somewhere. Jags have no one who scares you. Jags Defense is great, however, they are prone to really bad games and if it comes in the playoffs I doubt they'll survive ...unless they face the PS :). Jags have gotten a ton of press in playoffs and pre-season. Yet none has covered what happened in that PS game. Probably bc there is no way to spin what Ben & Steeler offense did to them, once PS offense got collective heads out their asses ...eviscerated them all over the field.

I thought they signed a significant FA OL? Anyway if their OL is ho hum, then what does that say about our DL? They pushed our DL around badly in that game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:47 pm 

steelclan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

You failed to mention Allen Robinson will be back

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:52 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
steelclan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

You failed to mention Allen Robinson will be back

He will.....with the Bears.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:54 pm 

Off topic, but who told Eric Mangini it was okay to wear a leprechaun wig on FS1 this morning?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:21 pm 

steelclan wrote:
Suwanee88 wrote:

I don't know Clan. Using a Tomlinism, I think they are a team on the come. Their D is what it is....very, very good. I actually think Bortles is improving, the game is finally slowing down for him mentally and his mobility really helps their OLine and TE/WRs.. Their O Line is a big mauling group and not asked to pass protect all that long, which benefits them. They are serviceable and deep at TE, Fournette will be even better, Yeldon is OK and Grant is way underrated. Their WR group is underrated imo. Lee is pretty decent, Westbrook is getting better and is starting to catch everything in his radius, Moncrief can be above average when used properly (limited routes), Green = Eli Rogers and Chark will be inconsistent but make splash plays. They may not stretch the field all that much (Chark will now) but they can work the ball down the field pretty effectively with the PA pass. Coughlin has quietly done a very good job down there, imo. Although, I'm sure it's been easier when you haven't had to pay a franchise QB for the last four years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:28 pm 

:oops: And I have a live auction fantasy draft on Wednesday night.

It further strengthens your point 'Clan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:39 pm 

You failed to mention Allen Robinson will be back[/quote]

Yep because he plays for the Bears.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:08 pm 

Hinestuff wrote:
:oops: And I have a live auction fantasy draft on Wednesday night.

It further strengthens your point 'Clan.

Draft Chris Carson.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:19 pm 

Scunge wrote:

Agree. The Steelers will likely struggle the first half of the season. When it happens, we'll get the sarcastic "we're easing into the season" and "Tomlin sucks because he can't have his team ready early in the season" remarks. And I'm sure we'll lose some game we "should" win. Takes time to put new pieces together. What matters is how they're playing in December and January.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next