It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:10 pm 

I am not advocating it but if you look hard enough there are private vpn clubs that provide streaming services that were big in the soccer sector that have crossed over into all sports.

That is why you have to chuckle when you see the headlines of ratings tanking. I dont know the Nielsen formula but the trend is only for these clubs to grow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:00 am 

Joey's Pitbull wrote:
I am not advocating it but if you look hard enough there are private vpn clubs that provide streaming services that were big in the soccer sector that have crossed over into all sports.

Ehhhhh....I think I'm relatively tech savvy.....And this I don't know. I've always known I could watch shows for free, but I work for a living and it isn't worth the effort.

Last edited by Kodiak on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:17 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Joey's Pitbull wrote:
Quote:

Ehhhhh....I think I'm relatively tech savvy.....And this I don't know. I've always known I could watch shows for free, but I work for a living and it isn't worth the effort.

Yeah...cant blame you for being skeptical but this is more organized than all those wild free Reddit feeds or when a Youtuber has to give you a password to make it private so its doesnt get shut down.

I also started off with the C band 10' diameter satellite...graduated to direct TV just for the ticket and now do that other thing for 7 bucks a month for 6 months for the last 10 years or so. So far Roger isnt starving so I just dont have the guilt factor. lol

Even China seems to be at least intrigued with the NFL which shocked me but there are servers on there for China, EU, & North America.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:05 am 

Joey's Pitbull wrote:
Yeah...cant blame you for being skeptical but this is more organized than all those wild free Reddit feeds or when a Youtuber has to give you a password to make it private so its doesnt get shut down.

I'm sure there are literally thousands - and I mean literally thousands - of people on there.....but that's a rounding error. The truth is most people are too lazy/ignorant to even be bothered with calling their cable company for a better deal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Joey's Pitbull wrote:

I'm sure there are literally thousands - and I mean literally thousands - of people on there.....but that's a rounding error. The truth is most people are too lazy/ignorant to even be bothered with calling their cable company for a better deal.

What blows my mind is I did the whole retention game (they got tougher about this ...come on 5G!) and this one rep said that Direct TV has this NFL contract and are in the red on it. They basically want to bait you in and like you said....hope the end user is too lazy/dumb to catch on auto renewal for the other part of the package.

I get this with Sirius all the time...call the Philippine calling center ...ask for a better deal...get shot down 4 tims and then finally get a decent rate. ugh

I do get sloppy with these renewal dates so I am no better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:26 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Joey's Pitbull wrote:

Slowly raises hand...

Though I would not call it laziness or ignorance... at least in my case. It's just not something I'm willing to spend time on. There's only so much of it n'at.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:21 am 

Joey's Pitbull wrote:
What blows my mind is I did the whole retention game (they got tougher about this ...come on 5G!)

Seriously! I mean, I cancelled my service. You're going to lose me as a customer over, like, $15 a month? Yes, yes you are.

The hilarious part is I ranted when I cancelled.....I said "don't call me if you aren't going to match the offer I have". And so they didn't call me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:23 am 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
... at least in my case. It's just not something I'm willing to spend time on

Technically that's laziness.....But I get what you're saying. I've spent DAYS changing providers - not good ROI when you do the math.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:58 pm 

Well I have my access for the season. I previously used my son’s college for NFL Sunday Ticket University, which is only $99 for the season.

This year he is no longer enrolled, so how can I get the sweet $99 deal or how does someone who doesn’t know anybody in college get this deal, assuming you don’t live in a Pittsburgh market?

https://nflst.directv.com/student

Using the link above you will quickly see that Directv uses a central verification system. All you need is a real university/first name/last name/date of birth combination. How in the world can you get that?

Very simple....you need famous people with readily available birth dates that are currently enrolled in a legit university. How does one get this info?

Just look up the roster of any D1 football team and voila. You will have the university, obviously, and you will have the name, and then just a quick google will pull up the DOB.

Do the verification in the link above, and set up the account with your own email and password and pay for it with your own credit card. They also throw in NFL GamePass for $50

Sweet deal and I am set for the season. Works for cord cutters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:14 pm 

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but am looking for advice.

I have spectrum and pay 231.00 dollars a month.

I’m looking to upgrade my internet package /speed and cancel my bullshit cable package.

I also have a Roku tv but know nothing about how to use it or streaming.
I jut joined Netflix.
I don’t give two shits about losing nfl network, stars, hbo etc.

I do have shows the wife and I watch that i want to be able to watch.
I do care about internet speed as my son and I both game on pc’s.

So do I need sling if I have a Roku and Netflix to get those shows? Ie. this is us, real housewives of some bullshit county, walking dead, new Amsterdam etc

It appears that with Netflix , sling tv, and super warp speed cable I’d save maybe 40 bucks so I’m not sure it’s even worth it.

I am not tech savvy at ALL so vpn’s and even posting a picture on this site have me stumped.

Help a brother out if you would. I’d appreciate any info.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:26 pm 

I’ve been reading a lot about this lately and we are about to cut the cord. Sick of DirecTV and paying roughly 200.00 a month.

Several websites I’ve read proclaim YouTube TV is the best streaming service. I downloaded the free trial a few days ago and must say it’s sweet. Has a ton of channels and works perfectly with the Chromecast I have. About 44 a month in the Seattle area with taxes. I’m going to buy another Chromecast (35.00) for my TV in the man cave.

So with YouTube TV (44.00) Netflix (16.00) and internet (which I was paying for anyways) I’m going to be saving a buttload monthly. Wife and I watch such a limited amount that what I was paying for made no sense.

Thrill - give YouTube TV a try if it’s in your area. My brother signed up for the Hulu service and loves it too. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:38 pm 

Here is a good article:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3211536/streaming-services/best-tv-streaming-services.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 pm 

SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but am looking for advice.

I have spectrum and pay 231.00 dollars a month.

I’m looking to upgrade my internet package /speed and cancel my bullshit cable package.

I also have a Roku tv but know nothing about how to use it or streaming.
I jut joined Netflix.
I don’t give two shits about losing nfl network, stars, hbo etc.

I do have shows the wife and I watch that i want to be able to watch.
I do care about internet speed as my son and I both game on pc’s.

So do I need sling if I have a Roku and Netflix to get those shows? Ie. this is us, real housewives of some bullshit county, walking dead, new Amsterdam etc

It appears that with Netflix , sling tv, and super warp speed cable I’d save maybe 40 bucks so I’m not sure it’s even worth it.

I am not tech savvy at ALL so vpn’s and even posting a picture on this site have me stumped.

Help a brother out if you would. I’d appreciate any info.

I'm going to take the "explain it like I'm 5" approach here, so I apologize if I'm saying stuff you already know.

Roku, Chromecast, Amazon FireStick, and AppleTV are all devices that basically allow your TV to access the internet and more or less turn it into a giant iPad. If you have a Roku TV, the Roku capabilities are already built into the hardware, so you don't need to worry about getting a separate device.

The other stuff we're describing are basically apps for that device.

Sling, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV - these are all replacements for cable, and you only need to pick one. The difference between these and your standard Comcast cable package is you pay monthly and stream it over the internet. Check out each one's website for pricing and channel lists, and choose accordingly.

Netflix is really just a giant on-demand movie and tv library. Hulu does the same thing, as does Amazon Prime.

There are also apps for NHL tv and MLB tv if you buy the packages to watch out of market Pens & Pirates games. I know HBO Go is available on Roku as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:50 pm 

hulu now offers a "live tv" option. I haven't used it. I had Sling Blue i think it was because that package had the ESPN's for college football and the NFL. I've cancelled it. I may reup in the fall.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:31 pm 

I looked into doing away with the cable services, but I live too far into the boonies that an antennae may or may not got enough reception, regardless of how good it is. A neighbor down the road gets 2 channels - that's it. I have a wife who is home all day, and two kids who can't do without their cartoon network. Looking into sling or Roku and adding up the subscriptions for this and that (CBS All Access as I wouldnt get that station so Steeler's games would be out unless another subscription service is added + we watch a lot of the shows on CBS). It came out that I would save only marginally after everything is said and done - probably about $20-30. It didn't work out conveniently for me at this time. Once the kids are grown and gone, maybe another look will be wise.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 pm 

you may want to look into livewave. I just stumbled across it a few days ago and am starting to research it for local programming.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=LiveWave+

It turns all the wires in your house into an antenna or so it claims. I am thinking about grabbing one just to see it is only like 40 dollars. Like I said I am just starting to read up on it but have seen a lot of positive reviews of the product. As far as streaming TV. the directTV now app is pretty nice a bit clunky while navigating but you can get different tiers that will allow you to have sports channels as well. I have not done much research into Youtube tv but all of them have a week for free so you could just check out different apps and packages to see which one fits your needs and wallet best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:07 pm 

stillthere wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
If you have a roku TV and a moderate knowledge of how to find streams on twitter, ,y advice is:

digital antenna for local channels
the cheapest high-speed internet you can find
$40/mo for sling so you have authorizations for most streaming channels that are on cable
+Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu/Starz/HBO/Showtime to taste

it's been at least a couple of years since I haven't been able to find a sporting event streaming free online, with the exception of this year's Tour de France (and I could have had that if I wanted to go through the trouble of spoofing my VPN to Australia)

You could even forego the sling if you have a friend or family member who will let you use their cable login to verify the app for whatever channels are included in their package. We paid for my mom's cable to have lots of channels and then used the login to stream everything here.

Basically the model I run plus I run a great plex server. I have a darn tootin' nice about 40TB of good media on that shit.

He's not kidding. I've never seen that much media anywhere before... Puts my server to shame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:08 pm 

There is no such thing as cord cutting. If anything the cords are getting thicker and more numerous.

The secret to the mess is to live somewhere that gives you the choice among Comcast, Fios, and Google Broadband. I am pretty sure that is a unicorn. The most you will get is 2 broadband choices, and when I say broadband, DSL does not count. Getting 2 broadband choices is pretty rare too, as the companies have the map divided up pretty conveniently so as not to interfere. It is white collar mafia.

So, get the best possible deal on broadband. I personally believe that 100MB will serve most purposes, but you have to find the sweet spot between coats and bandwidth. If you have 2 providers you can put them against each other year in and year out. I also think $120 a month is as good as you will get at this point.

Naked broadband is $50 to $80. Then you need to pay for a box either by rent or outright purchase. I personally think AppleTV is the best, especially with an iPhone. The shit just works. But you also have Chromecast Sticks, FireTV Sticks, Roku sticks etc. the sticks are a little slow. I would stay with the boxes, AppleTV, Roku Box, Fire TV box, or a Cable, Directv or Dish box. The last 3 you usually have to rent.

Then just signup for YouTube TV, directTv now, SlingTV etc. There are many of these services and they all offer about the same software features. At least there is competition for now.

I say stick with AppleTV and the Apple eco system, because they have developers and corporations eating out of their hands and always usually have the first software and most polished software on the market. Android is nice, but it is always glitchy, and not as polished as iOS in the short run, unless it is Google based. Hardware using iOS or Android is pretty much neck and neck if you stay with the big companies. Branch out to the second tier companies and you will be beta testing software and hardware features.

If you are not around the $120 mark you are defeated, not trying hard enough or apathetic. It is probably more like $130 when you add all the taxes and fees.

Optimum in CT/NY area seems to have given up on the $150-200 price points and they are happy with you being at the $130 price point with $200MB, some movie channels and a phone.

Don’t forget without the cable box, you will be paying to watch the Steelers too, unless you are local.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:24 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Don’t forget without the cable box, you will be paying to watch the Steelers too, unless you are local.

You can get the sunday ticket via internet only depending on your address. My building doesn't allow DTV satellites so I can get the online package. Same price as the regular package but you can throw it on a fire stick and take it anywhere you are with a wifi connection.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:05 pm 

Thanks for all the responses.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 pm 

Just finished my 3rd year getting the NFL ticket on the Roku 3.

It’s great, even though every live game you watch is on a 30-45 second delay. Just can’t look at your phone or you will see some “wtf” or “we suck” type texts from people and you know a bad play is about to happen, like a Ben pick or a fumble :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 pm 

stillthere wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:

You can get the sunday ticket via internet only depending on your address. My building doesn't allow DTV satellites so I can get the online package. Same price as the regular package but you can throw it on a fire stick and take it anywhere you are with a wifi connection.

You can get SundayTicket for around $99; I posted this previously, you just pretend you are a college student. To do that just pull up any college main stream sports roster, and pick a name and then find their birthday which is usually with their bio on any number of sports sites, and you can get Sunday Ticket University with a name and birthday of someone enrolled in a main stream college.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:26 pm 

I got in on Youtube TV for $35 a month. Love it.

As far as games go, just go on Reddit. r/nflstreams posts HD game streams for every NFL game about 30 minutes to an hour before every game, multiple links. Didn't have any issues last year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:43 pm 

Is the NFL network available on YouTube tv???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
Is the NFL network available on YouTube tv???

I don't know. it is in some sling tv versions. I don't miss the NFLN though. The Thursday games are now all free to watch on Prime.