It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:18 pm 

I am out in Stamford and was previously in Danbury. There is no competition as you probably already know. Danbury was Comcast and that was if for broadband speed. Then I move to Stamford and miraculously it is Optimum territory and nothing else with broadband speed. DSL is too slow unless you are near the connection hub. Amazing how their territories are determined by town borders.

I’d recommend getting the internet only package. Comcast and Optimum both had that with the barebones TV package which gets you the networks. I would then sign up for DirectTvNow and get the free AppleTV4K or the free Amazon 4K, they might be doing Roku too for free. If you have ATT you get the free HBO. Cinemax is $5 on DTVNow. If you get the AmazonTV you can easily put Kode on the device for free movies and sporting events.

If you know someone in college get their birthday and sign up for Sunday Ticket for cheap.

Game Pass is another option if you have the easily attainable skills to make it look like you are in Europe with your IP, DNS or VPN.

I trained Sling very early on and it was awful. I am sure it is like DTVNow at this point. DTVNow is pretty solid. League passes are better than any local sports packages, but you have to do the math and really like to watch other teams or sports stars to make it worthwhile.

The nice thing about the above scenario is you have redundancy and perhaps a few more options on Network channels. Internet hiccups go to the barebones TV with Comcast. I am grandfathered in the The GoBig DTV now package at $35...just raised it to $40...some grandfather.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:34 pm 

That sucks. I have AT&T (and DirectTV, which somehow AT&T was allowed to buy) and Comcast as options. I pay around $85 a month for a good cable package with high-speed internet.

But after a year or two I have to play the negotiating game when the promo expires and price doubles. They've gotten stingier on the retention offers, and so for the third time now in 6-7 years I've actually had to switch providers. And that in itself is NOT a trivial matter because customer service at pretty much every cable company is horrendous.

While I could "cut the cord" and put together a similar package for about the same price I'm paying, I'd still have an issue where after the promo is up my internet price would jump like $20-30 a month. I think they deliberately make switching/negotiating extremely painful so people decide it's just not worth their time.

The good news is Verizon is rolling out 5G services next year, and it looks like their first priority is disrupting the cable/home broadband market. I still expect the tacit collusion we already see in markets with multiple providers, but for those of you getting screwed with only one option that should be changing soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:47 pm 

Cord cutting is a very laughable term. It would be more accurate to call it cord cutting with Play-Doh scissors. Or hitting the throw switch between a skinnier cord and a fatter cord every 12-24 months. Or paying the same amount of money to 5 different entities instead of 1.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:08 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
If you have a roku TV and a moderate knowledge of how to find streams on twitter, ,y advice is:

digital antenna for local channels
the cheapest high-speed internet you can find
$40/mo for sling so you have authorizations for most streaming channels that are on cable
+Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu/Starz/HBO/Showtime to taste

it's been at least a couple of years since I haven't been able to find a sporting event streaming free online, with the exception of this year's Tour de France (and I could have had that if I wanted to go through the trouble of spoofing my VPN to Australia)

You could even forego the sling if you have a friend or family member who will let you use their cable login to verify the app for whatever channels are included in their package. We paid for my mom's cable to have lots of channels and then used the login to stream everything here.

Basically the model I run plus I run a great plex server. I have a darn tootin' nice about 40TB of good media on that shit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:32 pm 

stillthere wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
If you have a roku TV and a moderate knowledge of how to find streams on twitter, ,y advice is:

digital antenna for local channels
the cheapest high-speed internet you can find
$40/mo for sling so you have authorizations for most streaming channels that are on cable
+Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu/Starz/HBO/Showtime to taste

it's been at least a couple of years since I haven't been able to find a sporting event streaming free online, with the exception of this year's Tour de France (and I could have had that if I wanted to go through the trouble of spoofing my VPN to Australia)

You could even forego the sling if you have a friend or family member who will let you use their cable login to verify the app for whatever channels are included in their package. We paid for my mom's cable to have lots of channels and then used the login to stream everything here.

Basically the model I run plus I run a great plex server. I have a darn tootin' nice about 40TB of good media on that shit.

I'm running a plex server as well, but only have around 5 TB as of now. But it's on a 1 gig fiber line, so plenty fast. Wanna trade shares?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:07 pm 

Back in the analog days I used to get the CBS signal out of Altoona (KDKA I believe) over the air. I got it best as Fall continued as there was less foliage. When digital was forced on us, I had to get a converter, all was cool till a wind storm took down my tower. So I decided to drop nearly 3 grand on a 50' tower, super receptive antenna, the best wire, gold connectors and installation with guide wires.
The picture is great but using the digital signal I can't get(sometimes) KDKA over the mountains to Chambersburg.
Our schedule is favorable for over-air broadcasts this year and when I can't get the games,I have an excuse to just go to the bar during blackouts. Sorry I don't have any advice for other connections as I hate monthly bills.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
How exactly do I use a cable package to watch local channels? I have access to infinity, and get HBO, Showtime, ESPN(not plus), and a few others, but I cannot access local pgh programming. Or I haven't tried? Or I don't know how?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:20 pm 

I finally got tired of the big bills. It was a combination of too much money (not a finances issue, just feeling I wasn't getting equivalent benefit, paying for tons of channels I don't use and just not watching as much TV as I once did.

So, I got a TiVO OTA for 299 when it was on sale, lifetime included. Now I get a crap-ton of local channels and can DVR whatever I want there. A decent up front cost but I made it up quickly in just a few months, now it is raw savings. I have Netflix but I already had Netflix. I have Amazon Prime but I already had Amazon Prime. I have internet but I had and would have internet anyway. So, I initially had no added cost once the Tivo paid for itself (there are other options for locals, this is just what I did. Wanted to clean and easy DVR for the fam.)

Addons: Tons and tons of free streaming options out there like Pluto, Tubi etc. Add HBO Now when a season of something you must see now pops (Game of Thrones for me) or wait until seasons of shows finish if you don't need it now and binge it all (Ballers, etc for me).

Streaming: I got on Directv Now when it was brand new for $35.00 for a big package. I kept it. Works well enough. That isn't available but if you want something similar there are afforable packages for Youtube TV, Sling, Directv now and others to get AMC etc. This $35.00 is my one true replacement cost after the Tivo was "paid for." That being said, I could live without it.

Shhhh: Want sports stuff? Well, enterprising folks will find a way.

For me, the difference between what I had and have: Old cost, 100+ a month for TV ... replaced by Tivo (299 one time) and $35.00 a month. I lack for nothing and even could do without the latter. Mileage may vary for your needs or costs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:52 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
How exactly do I use a cable package to watch local channels? I have access to infinity, and get HBO, Showtime, ESPN(not plus), and a few others, but I cannot access local pgh programming. Or I haven't tried? Or I don't know how?

This is sort of off topic, but kind of relates. DirectvNow has a new feature that lets you watch your home channels when you travele or are located in a different city I will now be looking at changing my billing zip to Pittsburgh to see if it works.

Per the DTVNow webpage:

“ Requirements to stream local networks

Local channel availability is based on your billing ZIP Code and market area. To learn more about local channels in your area, including Regional Sports Networks, check out the Channel Lookup Tool.

While at home, stream the local channels available in your market. Traveling to another city? No problem – you can still watch your local channels.

Access to local networks depends on licensing agreements between DIRECTV NOW and local markets at your location. Local, regional, and national providers hold the broadcast rights to these channels. As a reminder, enable location services on your mobile device in order to stream”

I suspect some channels won’t give internet streaming rights to DTVNow.

I will continue to test the electric fence and look for the dead spot if there is one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:43 pm 

I used to have Comcast. The service was good but their prices were beyond criminal. Even for a "bundle" package.

I now have DirecTV. It's way cheaper but the service is spotty. I feel like I'm calling customer support once a month for some kind of glitch or error.

I'm thinking of just going Sling/Roku.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next