It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:43 pm
Posts: 879
Lol people with their Netflix, Amazon, Roku, Sling, and all that crap.

Step 1: Well, you already have an internet connection unless you're burning data on your phone. So there you go.

Step 2: Download Ublock to avoid ads.

Step 3: Nfl streams on reddit. View on your big screen TV through a million methods. Have an old PC? Connect it with an HDMI cord. Not an option? Use your laptop or tablet. No good? Buy a $20 Chromecast or Firestick.

Step 4: Enjoy high-quality streams for free

------------------------

For all other streams or needs.

Find out what a VPN and Kodi are and watch a 10 minute video on Youtube. Enjoy watching movies that come out three weeks from now.


I pay $70 a month for fiberoptic internet. No cable bill and I can watch more than anyone with satellite or any of that other crap. If anyone is paying anything for media (tv, movies, music) nowadays, they're doing it wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5449
I did the Kodi thing for awhile. It used to work ok. Now it completely sucks. It's a never ending battle of finding new add-ons which generally don't work well either. I figured the "man" finally found a way to shut it down. what's the secret?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1647
Hacksaw Jim Duggan wrote:
Lol people with their Netflix, Amazon, Roku, Sling, and all that crap.

Step 1: Well, you already have an internet connection unless you're burning data on your phone. So there you go.

Step 2: Download Ublock to avoid ads.

Step 3: Nfl streams on reddit. View on your big screen TV through a million methods. Have an old PC? Connect it with an HDMI cord. Not an option? Use your laptop or tablet. No good? Buy a $20 Chromecast or Firestick.

Step 4: Enjoy high-quality streams for free

------------------------

For all other streams or needs.

Find out what a VPN and Kodi are and watch a 10 minute video on Youtube. Enjoy watching movies that come out three weeks from now.


I pay $70 a month for fiberoptic internet. No cable bill and I can watch more than anyone with satellite or any of that other crap. If anyone is paying anything for media (tv, movies, music) nowadays, they're doing it wrong.

For starters, I'm not that techy and I'm pretty lazy, so that's a big negative from doing what you've described.

Second, Mrs. Pabst had a cousin who was sued for illegally downloading music, so we're a bit weary of the whole thing.

Finally, the more people that are ripping movies/music/shows illegally, the more incentive there is for media companies to police it. I'm doing you a favor by paying for it. You're welcome :P. Plus $100/month isn't much of a dent in the monthly budget.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 1305
My experiment started w/Sling on my Roku this month. It looks OK, not much worse than my HD cable. Certain channels are still in SD and that is a bit annoying, but I find over the past 6 months-year between HBO, Netflix and Amazon Prime, I simply wasn't spending much of any time at all with my super-HD-hifi-premium basic cable package anyways.
Occasionally I would go to XFinity and look for series on-demand, and the selection is good, but most times you get just one season and the rest is PPV. They are price-tiering me out of my inertia. That said, the Sling package you actually would want plus all your extra pay channels plus internet won't save you *that* much per month, and like Lakecrest said earlier, once you add up all your bonzo options its starts to look like getting the same shitty service from five different vendors instead of one.
Regardless, sometime soon we'll have our bi-annual conversation where I start asking about dropping all of my cable packages but the basic internet and see where that goes.

_________________
Zeke5123 wrote:
if I flip a coin 100 times and it always comes up heads, I might change my estimation on whether it is a fair coin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5449
I'm gonna do Sling this college football season so I can get ESPN, 2 and 3. for 25$ a month. I have a comcast package that gives me the major networks plus PBS and HBO and internet for like $50 a month. Really can't beat that. I do have to bitch at them once a year when the rate goes up.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:30 am
Posts: 125
I am not advocating it but if you look hard enough there are private vpn clubs that provide streaming services that were big in the soccer sector that have crossed over into all sports.

That is why you have to chuckle when you see the headlines of ratings tanking. I dont know the Nielsen formula but the trend is only for these clubs to grow.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:00 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11033
Joey's Pitbull wrote:
I am not advocating it but if you look hard enough there are private vpn clubs that provide streaming services that were big in the soccer sector that have crossed over into all sports.


Ehhhhh....I think I'm relatively tech savvy.....And this I don't know. I've always known I could watch shows for free, but I work for a living and it isn't worth the effort.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Last edited by Kodiak on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:30 am
Posts: 125
Kodiak wrote:
Joey's Pitbull wrote:
I am not advocating it but if you look hard enough there are private vpn clubs that provide streaming services that were big in the soccer sector that have crossed over into all sports.
Quote:

Ehhhhh....I think I'm relatively tech savvy.....And this I don't know. I've always known I could watch shows for free, but I work for a living and it isn't worth the effort.


Yeah...cant blame you for being skeptical but this is more organized than all those wild free Reddit feeds or when a Youtuber has to give you a password to make it private so its doesnt get shut down.

I also started off with the C band 10' diameter satellite...graduated to direct TV just for the ticket and now do that other thing for 7 bucks a month for 6 months for the last 10 years or so. So far Roger isnt starving so I just dont have the guilt factor. lol

Even China seems to be at least intrigued with the NFL which shocked me but there are servers on there for China, EU, & North America.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:05 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11033
Joey's Pitbull wrote:
Yeah...cant blame you for being skeptical but this is more organized than all those wild free Reddit feeds or when a Youtuber has to give you a password to make it private so its doesnt get shut down.


I'm sure there are literally thousands - and I mean literally thousands - of people on there.....but that's a rounding error. The truth is most people are too lazy/ignorant to even be bothered with calling their cable company for a better deal.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cord cutting, not satellite options.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:30 am
Posts: 125
Kodiak wrote:
Joey's Pitbull wrote:
Yeah...cant blame you for being skeptical but this is more organized than all those wild free Reddit feeds or when a Youtuber has to give you a password to make it private so its doesnt get shut down.


I'm sure there are literally thousands - and I mean literally thousands - of people on there.....but that's a rounding error. The truth is most people are too lazy/ignorant to even be bothered with calling their cable company for a better deal.


What blows my mind is I did the whole retention game (they got tougher about this ...come on 5G!) and this one rep said that Direct TV has this NFL contract and are in the red on it. They basically want to bait you in and like you said....hope the end user is too lazy/dumb to catch on auto renewal for the other part of the package.

I get this with Sirius all the time...call the Philippine calling center ...ask for a better deal...get shot down 4 tims and then finally get a decent rate. ugh

I do get sloppy with these renewal dates so I am no better.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kodiak and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group