It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Preseason Week 2 Steelers vs Packers Game Thread
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:20 am 

steelclan wrote:
Havoc wrote:
franco32 wrote:
Samuels playing better tonight. Less hesitation and more burst.

I thought he flashed a little something on that 6 yd run earlier, no replay though so I want to see it again.

He broke tackles in the backfield on multiple occasions, however, did he make mistake releasing and allowing LBer free shot at Rudolph that led to the sack? Sure looked like it.

no way to know for sure but that looked like a designed throw to the RB.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:07 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Havoc wrote:
steelclan wrote:
ILBs are so bad it is unreal. I don't think folks realize how good Shazier was. I'd seriously give Thomas a look next game.

I was thinking, we really miss having an outlier drink stirrer

That one guy could make it all look so much different.

Shaquem Griffin and a 3rd round edge rusher instead of Mason Rudolph?

Obo was available in the 5th when they took 2 guys who look like long shots to make the team.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:05 pm 

steelclan wrote:
It is time for PS to call Bowman. At this point what the fuck do they have to lose?

L Bell for Khalil Mack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:14 pm 

I only caught some of the game last night and will rewatch on NFL replay, as I believe they will replay game Sunday evening on NFL network.

On top of the good reports and opinions about #92/ Ola, mentioned above....

As far as OLBs, I thought Kion Adams had a good amount of penetration into the backfield in fourth quarter.
Don't know if he played earlier or how many snaps.
Saw a high motor, good bend, disrupted running plays, made RB hesitate for others to gobble up.
Dropped into coverage here and there too.

Love Washington so far.
Has a get the ball approach, to balls in the air.
Nice ball awareness and in tight windows and 60/40 contested balls, he is readying for the catch process while defender is still adjusting, turning and locating ball.

Add his height and thickness and high point mentality and it bodes well for redzone targets.
7-10 TDs is a moderate goal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:17 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
steelclan wrote:
It is time for PS to call Bowman. At this point what the fuck do they have to lose?

L Bell for Khalil Mack

Dupree or Watt at ILB would appear to be a hell of a lot better than what they have there now. I'm even for trying Edmunds... at his current size... playing Mack LB. But the actual answer is probably a lot simpler: toss Matthew Thomas into the fire. Sink or swim, kid.

I realize that, come the regular season, they will scheme to protect whoever is playing Mack in base–they succeeded for weeks without Shazier by doing just that. Jax just had too much run/OL firepower to make that work. If Dupree shows more of what his play has been hinting at and you add Watt to the mix, things will be better. Chickillo has to move down the pecking order in favor of Ola and Adams.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:21 pm 

Its worth the look B2B.

Ola, Dupree, Watt, Adams....

Vs.

Dupree, Williams, Bostic, Watt.

And Edmunds is quite the speciman and athlete.
The #34 makes him appear smaller, but throw on a 50's or 90's # on his back and looks the part of that Hybrid LB

Shaz listed as 6'-1" 230. Bet he was running closer to 220-225.

Edmunds listed as 6'-1" 217.
Bet he 220+

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:02 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
[Chickillo has to move down the pecking order in favor of Ola and Adams.

Chickillo hit his peak, it seems. He does not belong on the field with an nfl defense. When I have watched him these first 2 games... looks like a losing piece.

Ola to this point, looks like he needs to make this roster. The kid is a football player, pass rusher with instincts. Remains to be seen if it will ever develop into nfl solid or better starter but I would like to find out.

Bostic-Williams-Dupree looked like a jag collection last night. Scary.

Bostic has disappointed me these first 2 games. Just haven't seen anything from him to get excited about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:05 pm 

I don't know about you guys, but so far burnett and bostic haven't shown much on D. From what I can tell watching live.

But this defense is in a bit of trouble so far and can't defend the middle of the field. ILB is a huge question mark, and the only DB I have trust in is Haden.

And as a side, I love how Dobbs said the DB made a great play on his interception. Wha?

Conner and Washington are the real deal. Samuels behind. I wish the D had bonafide playmakers like the O does.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm 

I'll withhold judgement on the defense until I see the actual defense they'll be running and with the starters playing. Because it just has to be better than what we saw yesterday.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:49 pm 

AF Stiller Fan wrote:
I'll withhold judgement on the defense until I see the actual defense they'll be running and with the starters playing. Because it just has to be better than what we saw yesterday.

I would imagine with no really banged up players, that we should see all the starters on defense next Saturday in the third pre-season game, as 3rd P.S. game.
As well as offensive first team.

Lets see what the run defense looks like with both Cam and Tuit and Hargrave / McCuellers rotation at NT. Alaula and Walton subbing in.

I'll assume with 8 days to get healthy, that Sean Davis and Watt will also be starting.

I'll assume we will be starting;

Cam, JH, Tuit
Dupree Williams, Bostic, Watt
Burns, Davis Burnett, Haden.

With Edmunds, Hilton, Sutton, McCuellers, Alalu and Walton getting some 1st quarter reps subbing in and packages.

Then we will have a better grip on how this defense has changed and or improved from A.S. ( After Shazier )

I would like to see the three young LB's, Thomas, Ola and Keion get some play time sometime in first quarter with other talent on the field.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:57 pm 

AF Stiller Fan wrote:

And lets hope in this next PS game, they work in some of the new packages we have been hearing about, ironing out what players in what packages, green dot, play calls, communication, execution, etc.

As opposed to using the first quarter of the season to experiment in actual games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:50 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Conner and Washington are the real deal. Samuels behind. I wish the D had bonafide playmakers like the O does.

Don't forget they're intentionally working Samuels at the stuff he does worst... I think they're in it for the long haul with him.

His best work will be running routes/catching balls and running the ball from the slot. That's his #1 gig. Right now, they're having him pass protect, leak from the backfield, run HB screens... these are all things he did rarely in college.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:12 pm 

Conner looks tough as nails. Dude has guns.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:46 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
COR-TEN wrote:

Don't forget they're intentionally working Samuels at the stuff he does worst... I think they're in it for the long haul with him.

His best work will be running routes/catching balls and running the ball from the slot. That's his #1 gig. Right now, they're having him pass protect, leak from the backfield, run HB screens... these are all things he did rarely in college.
I get it. I have faith in samuels. They are grooming him. They know he's good in space and has his head screwed on straight. They're giving him work in areas he didn't really engage in while in college. I have no doubt the RB corps is A OK even if Bell doesn't show up. Those guys are the future. I've always said Conner had some shit, only was raw and young. Didn't get enough playing time.

I wonder if Bell is getting nervous.

I would if I were him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:48 pm 

Haven't seen much of anything from Conner in the passing game/pass pro... but, wow, he looks like a new man running the ball.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:22 pm 

OK...I’m going to be THAT guy. Let me start by saying that I liked Samuels coming out of NCSt...was happy as a puppy with two Peters that the Steelers drafted him.
But let’s be real...this is the Steelers we are talking about. We know what they do, and how they work. As much as we would like to believe, they aren’t and won’t change their business model. They are not “grooming” Jalen Samuels for anything other than to see if he’s good enough to make the roster. As of right now, he’s not.
Let’s face facts...Bell, Conner, and Ridley are locks. If...a big if, they decide to keep four, FT is likely the guy. Regardless of how we feel about Fitz, Tomlin and his staff love him, and he has done nothing so far to play himself off the roster.
Things can change, obviously, but sitting here right now, the best case for Samuels is the practice squad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Things can change, obviously, but sitting here right now, the best case for Samuels is the practice squad.

Yup.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:25 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

Yup.

No way. Samuels is splitting time with the 1s in practice. Not going to be cut.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 pm 

AF Stiller Fan wrote:
I'll withhold judgement on the defense until I see the actual defense they'll be running and with the starters playing.

I agree, we won't really know until the real bullets fly.

Having said that...

If neither Bostic or Burnett turn out to be winning pieces, that will be a problem.

We really need Burnett to impact this defense.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:46 pm 

Not too worried. Seems to me we played GB with about 55% of our starters while they were using about 80% of theirs. We gave them 14 points on two plays by our QB 3&4.

On D, I've seen the biggest improvements from Walton (biggest jump), Alualu, big Dan and Hooks. Dunbar is such a welcome change over Mitchell. That dude set us back 5 years.

On O, Conners has made a huge leap. I wonder if Samuels is our combo RB4/WR6. Washington and Chuks are everything I thought they'd be.

ILB will be exploited by the good teams/coaches. That Ravens rook TE, H. Hurst, is the real deal and going to be a beast. He'll have a very short learning curve due to his age/maturity. Watch out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next