It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Re-watch
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:04 pm 

I liked Rudoplh's poise, pocket mobility and touch. Was a little concerned with the arm strength. A lot of the passes didn't have NFL zip to them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:12 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Haven't rewatched yet.

Going by last night...

Jones is garbage. Dobbs was more consistent. Rudolph is going to give both challenges they may not welcome.

Defense still garbage against the run. The pass defense is decent. The INT's were gifts from average QB's with little game experience.

Conner still has issues with blocking. Not what you want to see in year two. Especially in light of the current Bell scenario playing out. Ben can not get injured.

Fletcher Cox looked like he was mid-season already. DeCastro looked like he just woke up.

Smith-Schuster and outlaw did their best to contribute and made it work despite jones being the QB.

Missing Foster was also a detriment for the Jones led offense. Love Finney but he's was struggling versus the iggles DLine.

The bright spot? ST's looked like they could hold their own for once. Perhaps the new rules will be a blessing for them? Justin Thomas can not return. He struggled all night.

The rest was scrubb versus scrubb football. That said, I'll say the Steelers have better scrubbs than the iggles.... ;)

Is Jones garbage? Come on now. If you don't like him fine but blaming Jones for those 2 sacks is pure spite. Nothing he could do about either situation. He made good throws and yes JuJu made a play for him, however, Jones knew it was a free shot and took advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:21 pm 

Thanks for posting. You, and a few others make this site bearable. Quality analysis. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:25 pm 

steelclan wrote:

Rudolph: better than I expected. I was meh on this pick but poise and delivery looked good. Ball security has to be better but that is a relatively easy fix. His throw to Paterson on what looked like a deep/medium hook route was excellent. The skinny post throw that fell incomplete was more a function of Paterson not running route correctly than Rudolph missing the throw. Rudolph also wasn't helped by one bad drop and Washington mucking up his route. Also notable: he doesn't panic when pressure comes. If anything he is a bit to at ease in the pocket and needs to learn to put the rock away when it is collapsing. His throw to Washington highlighted good fundamentals. Used his feet well to sidestep pressure, kept his eyes down the field and put the ball in location only his target could catch. Initially, I'm impressed but it was against backups and work still to be done.

On the bolded: rather Ben-esque in that regard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:32 pm 

Mason Rudolph is everything Landry Jones isn't.

Confident, poised, aware and accurate.

Zero doubt Rudolph is Ben's successor and he's gonna be real, real good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 pm 

steelclan wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Haven't rewatched yet.

Going by last night...

Jones is garbage. Dobbs was more consistent. Rudolph is going to give both challenges they may not welcome.

Defense still garbage against the run. The pass defense is decent. The INT's were gifts from average QB's with little game experience.

Conner still has issues with blocking. Not what you want to see in year two. Especially in light of the current Bell scenario playing out. Ben can not get injured.

Fletcher Cox looked like he was mid-season already. DeCastro looked like he just woke up.

Smith-Schuster and outlaw did their best to contribute and made it work despite jones being the QB.

Missing Foster was also a detriment for the Jones led offense. Love Finney but he's was struggling versus the iggles DLine.

The bright spot? ST's looked like they could hold their own for once. Perhaps the new rules will be a blessing for them? Justin Thomas can not return. He struggled all night.

The rest was scrubb versus scrubb football. That said, I'll say the Steelers have better scrubbs than the iggles.... ;)

Is Jones garbage? Come on now. If you don't like him fine but blaming Jones for those 2 sacks is pure spite. Nothing he could do about either situation. He made good throws and yes JuJu made a play for him, however, Jones knew it was a free shot and took advantage.

Landry just isn't anything special in any way, shape or form.

He has one thing the Steelers value and that's why he'll likely stick.

Experience.

That's it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:12 pm 

KC wrote:
steelclan wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
Haven't rewatched yet.

Going by last night...

Landry just isn't anything special in any way, shape or form.

He has one thing the Steelers value and that's why he'll likely stick.

Experience.

That's it.

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:33 pm 

I know it's only one preseason game but we looked like the same team against the run, which is really bad. Is there anybody still on the street we can bring in or someone we can trade for at ILB?

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 pm 

Assuming Rudolph is a future quality starting QB... I'm still happier with this team's offseason if they had drafted Shaquem Griffin with that pick. Or, better yet, draft Skai Moore with the 7th round pick and brought Frazier as a UDFA.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:51 pm 

I guess what I should have wrote it as Jones hasn't progressed at all from what I could see. Most talk about how Ben is much more motivated due to the Rudolph drafting. How about Jones? What's Jones done to ensure he stays on the roster? By the looks of last night? Nothing. Jones looked like he has always looked since taking his first snap in a Steelers uniform. Telegraphing every move, unsure, scared to death in addition to no rhythm to his play. Robotic. Predictable. One might think after 4, 5 years dude would have developed some of those traits even a little. Jones didn't do anything IMO that separated himself from Dobbs or Rudolph. Which when you think about it is amazing by itself. Jones was only missing McDonald, Bell and Brown on that offense last night. That's why I used the "garbage" description. We don't have to agree. Just expressed my opinion. Conner better hurry up and learn how to block in the back field too. The Steelers can't afford for Ben to be injured missing time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 pm 

There's usually not a lot to take away from preseason, but I do take note of a few things:
1) run support on defense, as noted....still, lot of starters not out there and you're vanilla

2) the big one, IMO, is SB teams rarely go worse than 2-2, at least. And I think it's because it's an indicator of depth, which will always matter at some point

You put that together, along with your first teams looking good....and I think that is a decent indicator of what can be expected. So back-ups looking good, the other two sides was first team didn't look so hot and there were some holes. But on the former no Ben, AB or Bell...or Vance...

Big takeaway is there looks to be some talent on the depth chart, and some 1st and 2nd stringers better not rest on their laurels. That's good, healthy competition to have.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:54 pm 

I agree. I told my dad that I thought that was one of the better preseason games I remember under Tomlin. Dudes were playing fast, physical, going after the ball on offense and defense.

Tomlin’s preseason Steelers have sucked out loud for years. It’s just a preseason game but injuries happen so some of these guys will be lining up when the bullets are flying during the regular season. Have to approach each down like the playoffs are at stake. I hope this carries through to the first game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:46 am 

Kodiak wrote:
There's usually not a lot to take away from preseason, but I do take note of a few things:
1) run support on defense, as noted....still, lot of starters not out there and you're vanilla

2) the big one, IMO, is SB teams rarely go worse than 2-2, at least. And I think it's because it's an indicator of depth, which will always matter at some point

You put that together, along with your first teams looking good....and I think that is a decent indicator of what can be expected. So back-ups looking good, the other two sides was first team didn't look so hot and there were some holes. But on the former no Ben, AB or Bell...or Vance...

Big takeaway is there looks to be some talent on the depth chart, and some 1st and 2nd stringers better not rest on their laurels. That's good, healthy competition to have.

The Browns were 4-0 in preseason last year. W-L means nothing. Coaches are looking at players in different situations.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:59 am 

jebrick wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

The Browns were 4-0 in preseason last year. W-L means nothing. Coaches are looking at players in different situations.

Correct. Absolutely nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:18 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
I guess what I should have wrote it as Jones hasn't progressed at all from what I could see. Most talk about how Ben is much more motivated due to the Rudolph drafting. How about Jones? What's Jones done to ensure he stays on the roster? By the looks of last night? Nothing. Jones looked like he has always looked since taking his first snap in a Steelers uniform. Telegraphing every move, unsure, scared to death in addition to no rhythm to his play. Robotic. Predictable. One might think after 4, 5 years dude would have developed some of those traits even a little. Jones didn't do anything IMO that separated himself from Dobbs or Rudolph. Which when you think about it is amazing by itself. Jones was only missing McDonald, Bell and Brown on that offense last night. That's why I used the "garbage" description. We don't have to agree. Just expressed my opinion. Conner better hurry up and learn how to block in the back field too. The Steelers can't afford for Ben to be injured missing time.

I am at the point where I PRAY Dobbs absolutely balls out the rest of the preseason, looking like a young Johnny Unitas or Joe Montana, forcing the Steelers to cut Landry loose.

By the end of this preseason, Rudolph should be able to do everything Landry can and likely more.

Time to cut the cord.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:49 am 

I'm hoping Dobbs gets more reps in the next few preseason games. Dobbs has the same indecisiveness at this point in his career as Jones. When you think about that Dobbs has far less development. No need for two of them with the same inadequacies. If I absolutely have to keep just one, Dobbs is cheaper and younger with the potential to develop more. Jones is who we think he is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:18 pm 

There's definitely value in the preseason, but it isn't necessarily in the Ws and Ls. In this game we got to see some good things from various players (receivers, defensive backs) that gives us a starting point for what we might expect (assuming it continues next week etc). We also again saw shit tackling at time which stands to be the downfall of this team. They need to be all over that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:45 pm 

Steel Reign wrote:
There's definitely value in the preseason, but it isn't necessarily in the Ws and Ls. In this game we got to see some good things from various players (receivers, defensive backs) that gives us a starting point for what we might expect (assuming it continues next week etc). We also again saw shit tackling at time which stands to be the downfall of this team. They need to be all over that.

I agree Reign. That said, it's the entire NFL having tackling issues. There is not enough focus on form tackling anymore. No more two a days and very limited full contact practices. The tackling practices are now done against tackling dummies that are stationary. Where is the challenge in that? I understand it's the NFL owners and players implementing their "CYA" tactics as a precaution. We've seen this sport disintegrate before our very eyes due to the constant rule changes, concussion protocol because of overpaid athletes who think they're too valuable to practice like practices were done 20-25 years ago and for far less money I will add. The rules keep changing through modification continually assuring the fall of a once great full contact sport. They should just give in and reduce the NFL to FFL (flag football league).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:07 pm 

KC wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

I am at the point where I PRAY Dobbs absolutely balls out the rest of the preseason, looking like a young Johnny Unitas or Joe Montana, forcing the Steelers to cut Landry loose.

By the end of this preseason, Rudolph should be able to do everything Landry can and likely more.

Time to cut the cord.

SBI is for Dobbs to ball out — either trade him or Jones for a pick.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:14 pm 

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

https://www.steelers.com/photos/photos- ... afaa0ad2f6

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 pm 

I got thru most of the rewatch.

James Harrison has a time machine. And like his first time thru here, he is going to need to add a lot of muscle to that frame.

But seriously, I love the kid from Toledo. I hope they find a way to keep him around. It will be interesting to see what he develops into a couple years down the road. Stripping the football coming from the qb's blind side is an art... and like the 92 before him, this kid has it.

Chuks did not disappoint. I think we made a good pick here. Huge body that can move laterally. He is in the Munchak OL factory... the perfect place for him.

Washington... man what a physical beast for a wr. Great highpoint on the downfield catch and when he goes up, that big body is going to by default shield a lot of defenders.

Disappointed that Samuels did not flash. Not saying it's his fault though.

Adams... looks lower body strong but think he might still need to add some upper body strength. He's still a work in progress but improving.

Rudolph... seems to be a relentless, tenacious student of the game. He is a work in progress at taking snaps under center. Thought he threw the football well. 8.4 Y/A. Had a little zip on the skinny post throw, IMO. Noticeable difference when Dobbs unleashes the football downfield though in terms of arm strength. It appears, that when Ben does hang em up that we might not suck at the position (speaking of Rudolph)

Connor 4 CAR 6.3 ypc. A north south runner (no news here). Nothing wrong with that. It can be effective. Did not get it done in pass pro on one play that I remember.

Patterson... big day with 6 rec for 77 yds. Like many have stated, looks like the kid has something. Seemed slow to get his head around and react to the skinny post throw. Made a spectacular catch on the TD and showed some cool athleticism on the backflip.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:24 pm 

Great breakdown...I find nothing to disagree with which is very rare

I cannot express how impressed I was with Jake Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:55 pm 

jebrick wrote:

That's not what I said...a losing preseason record does not bode well. Someone did it for 10 SB winners in the below thread, and only 2 had a losing record in preseason. Would be interesting to do a larger sample, but that percentage probably isn't going lower.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3 ... champions/

What I said is SB caliber teams rarely go worse than 2-2. It's an indicator of depth and raw talent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:59 pm 

OK, so when I thought I saw some actual definition in Ben's arms I wasn't imagining it. He looks to me like his body fat% could be the lowest of his career. I'd have to see more photos, but his face looks thinner, too....which means he's really toned up.

Steelafan77 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:57 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
OK, so when I thought I saw some actual definition in Ben's arms I wasn't imagining it. He looks to me like his body fat% could be the lowest of his career. I'd have to see more photos, but his face looks thinner, too....which means he's really toned up.

Now you've set the stage for some Brady Quinn comparisons. Thanks. :lol: