It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:22 pm 

955876 wrote:
Maybe next time one takes a knee in protest they can explain how destroying & looting the very businesses that serve their community helps to ”raise awareness”...

You're doing the same thing that offends you about the generalizations about police. A few people, who maybe aren't even there to protest, are just being opportunists and you're condemning everyone else there out of sincerity.

And studies show the "mob" mentality really has nothing to do with race (just watch some of the soccer games over the pond).

I think organizers know that hurts the movement, but I'm not sure what they could do about it. And if you're into conspiracy theories, some of those looters are being paid.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:27 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
955876 wrote:
There are actually FBI statistics that show blacks are actually shot with less frequency than whites & latinos. And what about the black cops who take the shots? They are now “race traders”.

And if I recall, the Harvard study showed the black cops were more likely to shoot than their white counterparts. Both showed a tendency to hesitate or less likely to shoot blacks.

But those are inconvenient facts. And identity politics is about emotion, anyway.

There are obviously racial inequities in the justice system. Cop shootings is not where it is and not where the focus should be. And when you make martyrs out of Michael Brown, you aren't attracting sympathy and bringing people together. But as I've said before, that is by design - the stories that dominate the national news cycle are the ones that, predictably, drive a wedge between black and white.

Again, the data would indicate there are maybe 50-100 cases a year of actual wrongful deaths (half of those, by the way, non-black) from police. It's unfortunate and one is too many, but it's a far cry from racist white cops running around like some hit squad killing young black men.

Bingo...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:33 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
955876 wrote:
Maybe next time one takes a knee in protest they can explain how destroying & looting the very businesses that serve their community helps to ”raise awareness”...

You're doing the same thing that offends you about the generalizations about police. A few people, who maybe aren't even there to protest, are just being opportunists and you're condemning everyone else there out of sincerity.

And studies show the "mob" mentality really has nothing to do with race (just watch some of the soccer games over the pond).

I think organizers know that hurts the movement, but I'm not sure what they could do about it. And if you're into conspiracy theories, some of those looters are being paid.

Fair enough. That was a generalization. However, looting and destruction of property do tend to go hand in hand with these protests.

And it does detract from the very thing they are protesting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:05 pm 

955876 wrote:
Fair enough. That was a generalization. However, looting and destruction of property do tend to go hand in hand with these protests.

If you're talking Antifa - which is an entirely different topic - then I agree.

However, when you have the emotion and anger in these protests, it only takes a few to set-off the powderkeg. And that true of any such gathering.

Whether or not the looters are outside the community or not, the very nature of the protest is tailor-made to attract opportunists.

Now in Chicago what they have done is shutdown a few major highways. I don't agree with that, but there's no nearby stores to loot. And, shocker, no looting or violence.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 pm 

Quote:
If you're talking Antifa - which is an entirely different topic - then I agree.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:42 pm 

There are no lack of places to spew one's political beliefs, no lack of arenas to hate on your fellow (wo)men because they voted differently than you, no lack of opportunity to bitch about one side or the other or both. Do we really need to bring it to our little corner of the world where we get away to enjoy Steelers and football talk?

I know we all have opinions on this, but can't we check them at the door?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:47 pm 

Well, the thread is appropriately titled anthem protest. It’s not like you clicked on a thread about the game or how Rudolph looked only to find this.

Begs the question, why click on a thread you had no interest in discussing other than to tell others not to discuss it?

Is your ability to participate and enjoy the other threads available somehow diminished simply because you’ll know this one exist?

Could be moved to Around NFL given it’s not particularly Steelers related.

Aside from that, I would say if you know you don’t like oh I dunno Chinese food then don’t order Chinese.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:50 pm 

I will say this I do not believe all white cops are bad or out to get Blacks. Unfortunately there are bad apples (just like there are in the Black community) that make the good ones look bad. Plus I am Half White (Mother\ German, Jew & Czech) and I love that side of my family. We hang out, chill and are close. BTW, I like Trump. I voted for him. I'm a Conservative Republican, YES there are Black Republicans. I don't really like what the Democratic party has done to the Black Community. They have essentially made Blacks slaves again by making them rely on the Guvmint for financial aid (Welfare, Section 8 etc etc). I truly HATE seeing Blacks who CAN WORK rely on the Gov't to take care of their families. Which unfortunately comes from the taxes of the Middle Class. If I have to get my Black Ass up everyday to goto work to take care of my family, others should as well. I hate hearing Blacks say the Man (Whitey) is keeping them down. That's utter BS. The only one keeping you down is YOU. I went to College (BAS in Electronic Engineering) and have worked as an IT Support Analyst for the last 15 years. I understand there are those who need help, but if you are able to work then get your butt up and work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 pm 

https://www.google.com/search?q=chicago ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/

https://www.dailysignal.com/2017/10/04/ ... ack-crime/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next