It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 pm
Posts: 493
StillerInCT wrote:
I don't think I can handle another year of this stupid debate clogging up the sports headlines. If they want to kneel, who gives a shit? I still have to go to work the next day and pay my bills. It has exactly 0 impact on anybody's life other than hurt feelings.


And I'm still deployed for at least the next 6 months defending their right to do it. I don't agree with it, but the beauty is that I don't have to...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1595
fortythree wrote:

It's not the NFL doing it.


So the NFL didn't try to enact a "No Kneeling" policy before this season that had no chance of ever flying under the radar....then rescind the same rule shortly thereafter when the NFLPA and media got up in arms all over again?

Cause I'm pretty sure they did.

And yeah, that fire would still be burning right now even they haven't, but they added their brand of gasoline to it, prolonging that flame. And that's what I'm talking about. If they don't touch it, it'll go away after a while, when the media runs out of headlines to write about it. But they can't keep supplying new headlines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 3844
AF Stiller Fan wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
I don't think I can handle another year of this stupid debate clogging up the sports headlines. If they want to kneel, who gives a shit? I still have to go to work the next day and pay my bills. It has exactly 0 impact on anybody's life other than hurt feelings.


And I'm still deployed for at least the next 6 months defending their right to do it. I don't agree with it, but the beauty is that I don't have to...


Thank you for your service! My father spent 20 years in the Air Force.

I don't agree with it either. I stand for the anthem when I go to sporting events, but the outrage over it is just unbearable at this point. I think based on your statement you realize that they aren't protesting your service. Hell, most of them are probably grateful for your service. They are just speaking out against injustices that a white male such as myself will never have to deal with in a way they feel will get the right attention (Whether it will or not is TBD). Is it the most effective way to do it? I don't know. But as long as they aren't rioting in the streets, murdering people, or some other crimes against humanity, then it's harmless.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and take inventory of their own lives and stop taking everything personally all the time. It's no way to go through life.

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am
Posts: 8181
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fortythree wrote:

It's not the NFL doing it.


So the NFL didn't try to enact a "No Kneeling" policy before this season that had no chance of ever flying under the radar....then rescind the same rule shortly thereafter when the NFLPA and media got up in arms all over again?

Cause I'm pretty sure they did.

And yeah, that fire would still be burning right now even they haven't, but they added their brand of gasoline to it, prolonging that flame. And that's what I'm talking about. If they don't touch it, it'll go away after a while, when the media runs out of headlines to write about it. But they can't keep supplying new headlines.


I agree, but let’s be perfectly honest. The NFL and the owners are getting tooled by the master of ceremonies here, the Buffoon in Chief sitting on an inflatable raft at Mir-A-Lago.

If you guys were sick of it last year, wait until this year. His greatest power is his ability to incite his base from his twitter account. It will not end. His followers cling to that twitter account like heroin addicts do the needle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4255
StillerInCT wrote:
AF Stiller Fan wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:
I don't think I can handle another year of this stupid debate clogging up the sports headlines. If they want to kneel, who gives a shit? I still have to go to work the next day and pay my bills. It has exactly 0 impact on anybody's life other than hurt feelings.


And I'm still deployed for at least the next 6 months defending their right to do it. I don't agree with it, but the beauty is that I don't have to...


Thank you for your service! My father spent 20 years in the Air Force.

I don't agree with it either. I stand for the anthem when I go to sporting events, but the outrage over it is just unbearable at this point. I think based on your statement you realize that they aren't protesting your service. Hell, most of them are probably grateful for your service. They are just speaking out against injustices that a white male such as myself will never have to deal with in a way they feel will get the right attention (Whether it will or not is TBD). Is it the most effective way to do it? I don't know. But as long as they aren't rioting in the streets, murdering people, or some other crimes against humanity, then it's harmless.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and take inventory of their own lives and stop taking everything personally all the time. It's no way to go through life.


Well said.
People are offended by everything these days. Makes for a bunch of keyboard Social Justice Warriors who do diddly squat to improve other peoples' lives when it actually comes down to doing shit and making changes.

People want to block traffic and protest, but don't have the wherewithal to ask for a meeting with the mayor or their councilperson or police chief to make grass roots changes with whatever issue they may have.

And while I don't agree with the kneeling for NFL players, I respect their right to kneel and it doesn't cause me to clutch my pearls. But if I had a magic wand, I'd ban those who kneel and haven't done any community outreach.

Rag on CK all you want, but he's put his money and time where his mouth was. Wish more NFL players did the same...I'd have a bit more respect for where they're coming from then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1595
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Well said.
People are offended by everything these days. Makes for a bunch of keyboard Social Justice Warriors who do diddly squat to improve other peoples' lives when it actually comes down to doing shit and making changes.

People want to block traffic and protest, but don't have the wherewithal to ask for a meeting with the mayor or their councilperson or police chief to make grass roots changes with whatever issue they may have.

And while I don't agree with the kneeling for NFL players, I respect their right to kneel and it doesn't cause me to clutch my pearls. But if I had a magic wand, I'd ban those who kneel and haven't done any community outreach.

Rag on CK all you want, but he's put his money and time where his mouth was. Wish more NFL players did the same...I'd have a bit more respect for where they're coming from then.


Oh, man, "keyboard Social Justice Warriors" hits the nail right on the head.

I've been heavily involved with a camp for mentally disabled people for over 20 years. It's a great camp. 100% volunteer and donation based (ie, no one is pocketing money), very well respected in the community.....wonderful cause. So I decided to do an experiment for my birthday this year. Facebook has that new "Donate to a charity for my birthday" feature, so I thought "why the hell not" and kicked off a campaign for my birthday to benefit this camp.

And the experiment part of it was that before I started it, I made a mental note of all my facebook friends who love to constantly repost dubious articles about social injustice. You know the ones. Kids in Africa starving. Dogs abused. Homeless people starving, etc, etc. All real issues, to be sure, but you know the person posting those stories isn't doing a damn thing about them other than taking a half second to reshare those stories.

So I noted all these people on my friends list and kicked off the campaign.

Sure enough, not a single person on that list, many of which I'm close friends and/or family with, donated a single penny. I posted updates a few times per week for 3 weeks. Even made a general post inviting people to "do more than just reshare viral videos and make an actual impact on a great cause"...and still not a single one of them donated.

That said, I did raise $850. And you know who donated? The people who rarely say a word about that stuff. The quiet ones who roll their eyes when someone starts going on a tirade about some obscure cause.

ie, the people who value real empathy and altruism over the appearance of empathy and altruism.


Last edited by Louis Lipps Service on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3032
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:


ie, the people who value real apathy and altruism over the appearance of apathy and altruism.


i think you mean empathy :D

_________________
"Golf and sex are about the only things you can enjoy without being good at." - Jimmy Demaret


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1595
jebrick wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:


ie, the people who value real apathy and altruism over the appearance of apathy and altruism.


i think you mean empathy :D


Hahahaha. Good catch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4255
jebrick wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:


ie, the people who value real apathy and altruism over the appearance of apathy and altruism.


i think you mean empathy :D


He's apathetic about empathy :lol:

LLS- nice work you do!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1039
Stairway 2 Seven wrote:
Im not a Trump supporter at all but these unending protests are annoying. The players should have protested 1 game and spoke their peace and moved on. The nfl should just keep them in the locker room until after the anthem is over or maybe not play the anthem at all.


This is classic. Those damn annoying social injustice protests. What an irritation and inconvenience.

Why can’t they be done somewhere no one sees them?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], RemoAZ, Scarletfire1970 and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group