It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am 

NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests As Pre-Season Starts

Malcolm Jenkins #27 of the Philadelphia Eagles raises his fist during the national anthem as Chris Long #56 puts his arm around him prior to the preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Lincoln Financial Field on Thursday, in Philadelphia.

Several NFL players knelt, raised fists or simply refused to take the field during the playing of the national anthem as a controversial protest against police brutality dragged into the 2018 preseason.
As The Associated Press reports, in Philadelphia, Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, who suspended his protest last December, and cornerback De'Vante Bausby, raised their fists while defensive end Chris Long stood with his arm around Jenkins' shoulder.
Defensive end Michael Bennett walked out of the tunnel during the anthem and walked toward the bench while it played.

Sports Illustrated reports that the Jaguars' Jalen Ramsey, Telvin Smith, Leonard Fournette and T.J. Yeldon did not join their teammates skipping the pre-game performance of the anthem.
In Seattle, three Seahawks also declined to take the field.

NFL, Players Agree To Temporarily Halt Enforcement Of Anthem Protest Rules
The renewed protests come after the National Football League sought to put the controversy behind it by formulating a new policy requiring athletes and staff to "stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem."
However, that policy, announced in May, was put on hold last month when the NFL and the NFL Players Association agreed to suspend enforcement of the new rules.

"Everybody is waiting for what the league is going to do," Jenkins said, according to AP. "We won't let it stop what we stand for."
"I think it's important to utilize the platform as we can because for whatever reason, we have framed this demonstration in a negative light, and often players have to defend why we feel the need to fight for everyday Americans, and in actuality we're doing the right thing," he said.

"As a black man in this world, I've got an obligation to raise awareness," Quinn was quoted by the AP as saying. "If no one wants to live in unity, that's why we're in the situation we're in."
The protest controversy began in 2016, when then-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick knelt during the rendition of the anthem to call attention to injustices faced by people of color, particularly at the hands of the police. Several other players joined the protest.

Post subject: Re: NFL Players Renew Anthem Protests
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 am 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:31 am 

I don't think I can handle another year of this stupid debate clogging up the sports headlines. If they want to kneel, who gives a shit? I still have to go to work the next day and pay my bills. It has exactly 0 impact on anybody's life other than hurt feelings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 am 

StillerInCT wrote:
I don't think I can handle another year of this stupid debate clogging up the sports headlines. If they want to kneel, who gives a shit? I still have to go to work the next day and pay my bills. It has exactly 0 impact on anybody's life other than hurt feelings.

Agreed 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 am 

fortythree wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:

Agreed 100%.

Thirded. I think most people are just insanely tired of hearing about it.

Yet, the NFL keeps finding ways to stir it back up and creating more headlines around it.

Just stop fucking with it, let the players do what they want, let it die does after this season, and it'll go away.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 am 

Still raising awareness about that anti-black federal police force during national anthem.

Good for them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 am 

I'm a white dude, so my initial instinct is why do they have to do it then and there? But I try to be empathetic, and I know that black people don't get treated by police officers the same way white people do. And that no doubt feels really shitty and makes you feel a lot less good about this country.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 am 

Im not a Trump supporter at all but these unending protests are annoying. The players should have protested 1 game and spoke their peace and moved on. The nfl should just keep them in the locker room until after the anthem is over or maybe not play the anthem at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:02 am 

This seems like a wonderful idea....I mean what could go wrong, right????

If they protest all year for the second year in a row, it’s a virtual guarantee that the issues they are protesting will all be resolved making their continued protests (and alienation of half of their paying customers) totally worth it....

Why doesn’t the NBA have these issues?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
fortythree wrote:
StillerInCT wrote:

Agreed 100%.

Thirded. I think most people are just insanely tired of hearing about it.

Yet, the NFL keeps finding ways to stir it back up and creating more headlines around it.

Just stop fucking with it, let the players do what they want, let it die does after this season, and it'll go away.

It's not the NFL doing it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next