It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Shade Tree Going to make the 53?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:41 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
T.W. wrote:
If he has actually improved why not?

I imagine trying to move a man of his size is a tough task for even the best lineman.

Eh maybe
I played lower level college ball and I was not the strongest TE, but there were guys who I saw across from me that I just assumed by the 3rd play I'd be cut blocking them. But I always gave it a go to try and root them out until I discovered tendencies and such. Seemed like the biggest dudes weren't that difficult- especially tall ones. My anecdotal exp is that once you get their momentum going the way you want it, it's hard for them to reset their base.

From my experience, tall guys are usually the easiest to block. Especially lazy tall guys that give poor effort...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:44 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
he was pretty good at the end of last year's camp, as well.

Then went on to record one...O-N-E tackle the entire season!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:27 pm 

Jobus Rum, you do realize that Dan only had 13 defensive snaps for all of 2017? To have 1 tackle in 13 defensive snaps is not that shocking, or necessarily bad, but it also hammers home the point that the 6th DL just does not get much playing time.

You have the top 3, Cam, Tuitt and Hargrave and then Tyson Alualu is the top reserve. Walton was the 5th DL last season and supposedly backup NT and he only had 12 tackles in 144 defensive snaps, AND that only came because of the injuries to Tuitt and Hargrave.

Unless they really do more 4-3 fronts, the 5th and 6th DL roster spots are actually pretty meaningless. All of this hand wringing over Big Dan or Frazier, does it make much of a difference, neither will probably be active on game day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 pm 

Big Dan's biggest problem is he is the slowest player off the snap. i have yet to see him in any game when he is not the last guy moving.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Jobus Rum, you do realize that Dan only had 13 defensive snaps for all of 2017? To have 1 tackle in 13 defensive snaps is not that shocking, or necessarily bad, but it also hammers home the point that the 6th DL just does not get much playing time.

You have the top 3, Cam, Tuitt and Hargrave and then Tyson Alualu is the top reserve. Walton was the 5th DL last season and supposedly backup NT and he only had 12 tackles in 144 defensive snaps, AND that only came because of the injuries to Tuitt and Hargrave.

Unless they really do more 4-3 fronts, the 5th and 6th DL roster spots are actually pretty meaningless. All of this hand wringing over Big Dan or Frazier, does it make much of a difference, neither will probably be active on game day.

Yep, 13 snaps in a season is more damning than one tackle. The guys not good...period.
But hey...he’s having a great camp... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:13 pm 

jebrick wrote:
Big Dan's biggest problem is he is the slowest player off the snap. i have yet to see him in any game when he is not the last guy moving.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:01 pm 

Only having 13 snaps on defense is not necessarily a bad thing for Dan, he was inactive for 11 games last season. He was only activated for 5 games because of injuries.

There is a group of inactives each game, the 6th DL, the 3rd QB, the 5th OLB, the 5th ILB, the 6th WR, etc.

Again, what difference does it make if Shade Tree is that 6th DL? Or if Matthew Thomas is that 5th ILB? Or if Justin Hunter or Damon Patterson is the 6th WR? Of if Stevan Ridley makes it as the 4th RB? None of them are going to be active on game day except for injury.

Honestly, can somebody come up with some examples of a player who was at the bottom of the depth chart, who was a perpetual inactive year after year and then developed into a starter, or a top backup? I am drawing a blank, sure, I guess it has happened before but I just don't put too much thought or pay attention to these bottom dwelling players. They are really interchangeable and the only concern I have is for the Steelers to not keep somebody like a Coty Sensabaugh as the 6th CB when he is making $1.4 million for the season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Honestly, can somebody come up with some examples of a player who was at the bottom of the depth chart, who was a perpetual inactive year after year and then developed into a starter, or a top backup? I am drawing a blank, sure, I guess it has happened before

Wasn't James Harrison cut 3 or 4 times? But I can't think of another Steeler, not recently anyway.

Also agree about the "depth" spots that don't get a hat. I feel like sometimes they are too rigid on that with a guy who barely gets snaps even if someone gets injured. This is a year where I might be looking at how I can carry an extra receiver or running back, rather than sticking to some set quota like 10 LBers......especially if I've got one or two on PS.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:09 pm 

I think he still makes this team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:25 pm 

He's getting first team reps at Nose to reward his improved play. Looks like a keeper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next