It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Shade Tree Going to make the 53?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:26 am 

Great post Scunge. Let's hope Dunbar can turn the Teddy Bear into a beast.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:27 am 

Great post Scunge. Let's hope Dunbar can turn the Teddy Bear into a beast.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:16 am 

Sounds like Dunbar could be a Munchak like hiring on the defensive side of the ball. A lot of positive press thus far about Big Dan and others.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:28 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
This is getting to be like the “Bettis is in the best shape of his career”, year after year saga. “Big Dan is really opening eyes in this camp”...yada yada yada...
The guy sucks, soft as a babies behind, cut his ass and get over it.

he was pretty good at the end of last year's camp, as well.

Not to be discounted is the fact that there's a new DL coach in town-- maybe Big Dan responds better to his style of coaching.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:46 am 

Scunge wrote:
I think that once this season is over there are going to be many, many people scratching their heads going who knew that ALL of our defensive linemen were THIS good!

But of course it will be the same defensive linemen for the most part from last year so what was the difference? Coaching and scheme. I have been calling for John Mitchell to be replaced for years and they finally did it with the hiring of Karl Dunbar. I was calling for them to hire a younger coach with more experience with the modern game, that knew how to get his players to not just be 2-gap run stuffers but fearsome pass rushers. Mitchell I thought had antiquated notions and ideas that were out of touch with today's NFL.

If you don't believe me then how come Cam Heyward went to Tomlin and got his permission/blessing to seek training/coaching on how to be a better pass rusher in the offseason? Why did Cam have to do that? Why didn't Mitchell give him everything he needed coaching-wise? Something was definitely wrong and it was not the players.

The Steelers were on a bit of a roll, drafting very good defensive linemen, investing high draft picks and yet some of them are not developing as they should and I place the blame squarely on the coaching. And the Steelers seem to agree with that as well, as Mitchell was replaced with Dunbar.

So, it does not surprise me that Dan is playing better this camp. I expect Tuitt and Hargrave and Walton to all have elevated games as well. Here is the thing though, why does it have to be an either or situation with Shade Tree and Frazier? Why can't this team carry more defensive linemen this year? Why can't they play more 4-3 looks, have more of a rotation and keep players fresh?

What purpose does it serve to carry a 5th OLB or a 5th ILB, to carry 9-10 linebackers any longer? I can understand when they did that 10 years ago because of the traditional 3-4 defense that we played. But now in 2018? Those 10 linebackers are overkill when this team is transitioning to a more hybrid sub package scheme.

Why can't the defensive roster be 7 defensive linemen, 8 linebackers and 10 defensive backs? In that scenario you carry an extra DL, so both Frazier and Big Dan make the team.

Or they go with 6 defensive linemen, 8 linebackers and 11 defensive backs? In that scenario you carry an extra defensive back who is perhaps a designated hybrid S/LB. Either way you are transforming the makeup of the roster for the new type of defenses that we are going to play.

To simply say they are going to do the customary, typical 6, 9, 10 breakdown of the roster because that is what they have always done rings false to me now in 2018. The game is different, how they want to play defense is different, nothing is set in stone.

This is spot on Scunge. Addition through subtraction with regards to -Mitchell/+Dunbar.

After FA, and their draft this year, I immediately thought of the numbers on Defense. I think they may carry 26 on that side. 6 DL (maybe 7, but I doubt it - instead, I think Big Dan is #6 and Frazier is on the PS, ready to called up when an injury happens), 9 LBs (4 ILB and 5OLB), and 11 DBs (maybe even 12 if they decide on only 8 LBs). Most obvious to me is that I really think 11 DBs make the 53 (injuries withstanding).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:27 pm 

STs is the driving force for carrying that many LBs

You put Frazier on PS, he practices with the team every week, if someone is lost to injury or if Big Dan doesn't cut it, you sign him to the 53.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:40 pm 

Yeah, I get that there is this narrative that LBs are needed for special teams, I just don't buy it.

What is better for special teams? A 5th ILB or OLB who is 6'2" 235-240 who runs a 4.75-4.8 40? Or is it better to have a safety who is 6' 215-220 who runs a 4.55-4.60? Or a tall DL with length and reach to block field goals and extra points like Shade Tree? In college Dan had a number of blocked kicks. When Dan is active on gameday why aren't they using him in that capacity? Oh, right, Danny Smith!!

I am not Danny Smith's biggest fan. I know he loves to use Heyward and Tuitt for his special teams but when both of those players are $60 million dollar men and are getting injured it is time to take them off special teams and get Big Dan, and Frazier and other to play special teams. This stuff is not rocket science. Same thing with Brown and JuJu, they need to find replacements for both on returns otherwise both will continue to get these nagging injuries.

Special teams and the way it has shaped the roster has to change.

Also, the argument that the Steelers can just put Frazier on special teams can be turned around and used the other way for those other position groups. Who might be that 5th ILB and/or 5th OLB? You have to think the top 3 ILBs are going to be Williams, Bostic, and Matakevich. The top 3 OLBs should be Watt, Dupree and Chickillo with Kieon Adams as the 4th OLB. So, that is 7 LBers. As I see it there are 3 LBers left and they could probably keep ILB Matthew Thomas as the 4th ILB and then put Adeniyi on the PS as the 5th OLB ready to be called up if there is injury. Then LJ Fort is the odd man out but he has been cut and signed and cut and signed so many times he can just stay home and wait by the phone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:51 am 

T.W. wrote:
If he has actually improved why not?

I imagine trying to move a man of his size is a tough task for even the best lineman.

Eh maybe
I played lower level college ball and I was not the strongest TE, but there were guys who I saw across from me that I just assumed by the 3rd play I'd be cut blocking them. But I always gave it a go to try and root them out until I discovered tendencies and such. Seemed like the biggest dudes weren't that difficult- especially tall ones. My anecdotal exp is that once you get their momentum going the way you want it, it's hard for them to reset their base.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:16 am 

"Shade Tree?" SMH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:30 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
This is getting to be like the “Bettis is in the best shape of his career”, year after year saga. “Big Dan is really opening eyes in this camp”...yada yada yada...
The guy sucks, soft as a babies behind, cut his ass and get over it.

he was pretty good at the end of last year's camp, as well.

Not to be discounted is the fact that there's a new DL coach in town-- maybe Big Dan responds better to his style of coaching.

More than likely, he's in the honeymoon phase with the new coach. That will end and Dan will go back to giving 75-80% effort.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next