It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shaz walking unassisted
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:26 am 

AF Stiller Fan wrote:
Rocky Bleier was told he'd never walk again. Then they told him he'd never run again. Then they said he'd never play professional football. And that's all before they found the additional shrapnel in his mangled foot... There's no telling what a person can overcome when the motivation, passion, and drive are there.

I'm not saying he CAN'T ever play again, but I'll definitely say he shouldn't. There's way too much risk versus the gained reward there. It's just not worth it to play a game that, frankly, has little to no benefit on society as a whole.

Whole different ball of wax when you're talking about spinal damage vs a foot.

Bleier didn't risk potential death by suiting up again

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
AF Stiller Fan wrote:
Rocky Bleier was told he'd never walk again. Then they told him he'd never run again. Then they said he'd never play professional football. And that's all before they found the additional shrapnel in his mangled foot... There's no telling what a person can overcome when the motivation, passion, and drive are there.

I'm not saying he CAN'T ever play again, but I'll definitely say he shouldn't. There's way too much risk versus the gained reward there. It's just not worth it to play a game that, frankly, has little to no benefit on society as a whole.

Whole different ball of wax when you're talking about spinal damage vs a foot.

Bleier didn't risk potential death by suiting up again

Agreed, which is why I said he shouldn't ever suit up again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:26 pm 

Ryan Shazier is a warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:42 pm 

Shazier's (left) foot drop is noticeable, but it's only been 8 months and he's made significant progress from where he started. It appears that (left-side foot drop) may be the only physical battle he's really fighting. While I don't have experience with top athletes recovering from such conditions, I have seen young people recover through temporary partial paralysis, to foot drop, to walking and running normal again. One such case was a teenager, a close family friend whom I've know since birth. It took them about 3-4 years (postoperatively) to realize a complete recovery. Not having access to Shazier's complete medical records, one could never really know the full prognosis, but it is possible. I've seen it with my own eyes. I will say, having seen most of the videos showing the progression in his movement abilities, he is certainly improving and showing signs of being able to live a very normal life again - even being somewhat athletic again. Although, regaining his previous outlier, athletic abilities would be nothing short of a miracle, for sure.

I, for one, am pulling for him...in what ever he wants out of life.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm 

Even if he is able to play physically, I'm not sure how a person could handle the mental aspect of it. If it were me, I would be worried about the next hit being my last.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:20 pm 

DP39 wrote:
....It took them about 3-4 years (postoperatively) to realize a complete recovery.

Assuming he could have a full recovery, 3-4 years is too long to be out of the game....and he'd be 29 or 30.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:34 pm 

Outstanding news!

As far as returning? I would never cast aspersions on the guy's ultimate dreams, but I'm solidly in the "you dodged a bullet my man, take your millions and find another way to contribute to the game" camp. I never want to see a guy laid out on the field like that ever again.