It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Retractable roof on Heinz?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:01 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Obviously wrote:
So Heinz is shitty just because the noise isn't loud? I would agree it was an embarrassment back 10 years ago when the field was a mess, but that's only because the dumbfucks allowed the Panthers and all the high school football to chew up the field. I think they've fixed that now, but thinking back to TRS, other than the fact it was loud and all the glory years of both the Steelers and the Pirates were made there, what else does TRS have over Heinz?

If I'm building a stadium, acoustics are my #1 priority (after obvious stuff like safety and sight lines).

Leaving an end open was idiotic.

Seattle designed their open air stadium right.

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013 ... darn-loud/

The worst part about it is that they sacrificed acoustics with the open end...but the open end isn't really even very scenic. If it was a true open end that had a view like PNC Park with the full skyline behind it, I might be OK with a stadium that isn't as loud. But they left it open and facing not much of anything (you see what, the river, the boring part of Mount Washington, maybe some of Point Park if you're sitting up high and at the perfect angle?), then threw a scoreboard in the middle of what little view you actually had to boot.

Then they added the section of seats below the scoreboard. I don't know why they don't just fill the rest of it in, now. They're halfway there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:03 pm 

955876 wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
955876 wrote:
A roof in Pittsburgh would be all kinds of dumb.

But honestly, why would you oppose a retractable roof? I prefer being outside, the only thing that really bothers me is if it's WET. With a retractable roof you could close it if it's raining.

As said by jewel above, Football is a best viewed on TV.

Reason to go to game IMO is the stadium experience and all that it entails. Weather being part of that.

Watching a game in a domed stadium is so sterile and just blah IMO.

Domed baseball even worse.

I agree for the most part, RAIN is my one pet peeve, hate being in the rain unless it's 80 degrees. If it's dry and 20 degrees, I don't mind. but rain and 35 degrees that sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:09 pm 

When it comes down to it, my one or two games per year is mostly for the social aspect. I usually go to a Steelers game and a Pitt game, and maybe one more of either depending on the circumstances. And really, it's for the tailgate party and the friends that I see not so often anymore, it's so true, if it's just about watching a game alone, it's way better on TV. When you go in person, it's more about having a party. At least that's how I see it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:
Obviously wrote:
So Heinz is shitty just because the noise isn't loud? I would agree it was an embarrassment back 10 years ago when the field was a mess, but that's only because the dumbfucks allowed the Panthers and all the high school football to chew up the field. I think they've fixed that now, but thinking back to TRS, other than the fact it was loud and all the glory years of both the Steelers and the Pirates were made there, what else does TRS have over Heinz?

If I'm building a stadium, acoustics are my #1 priority (after obvious stuff like safety and sight lines).

Leaving an end open was idiotic.

Seattle designed their open air stadium right.

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013 ... darn-loud/

The worst part about it is that they sacrificed acoustics with the open end...but the open end isn't really even very scenic. If it was a true open end that had a view like PNC Park with the full skyline behind it, I might be OK with a stadium that isn't as loud. But they left it open and facing not much of anything (you see what, the river, the boring part of Mount Washington, maybe some of Point Park if you're sitting up high and at the perfect angle?), then threw a scoreboard in the middle of what little view you actually had to boot.

Then they added the section of seats below the scoreboard. I don't know why they don't just fill the rest of it in, now. They're halfway there.

I always thought the open end should be pointed at downtown.