It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Retractable roof on Heinz?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:41 pm 

I read the plan has been finalized to put a retractable roof on Heinz Field. Is this legit? I hate the idea.

Post subject: Re: Retractable roof on Heinz?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:51 pm 

http://dailysnark.com/pittsburgh-steele ... inz-field/

Is this what you're talking about?

Quote:
PITTSBURGH, PA – The Pittsburgh Steelers unveiled their new retractable on Heinz Field Friday morning, the completion of a $200 million renovation to the stadium.

Heinz Field has been notorious for having awful field conditions after any amount of rain, and the new $100 million roof will help solve the problem, being able to fully close or open in just 20 minutes.

“We wanted a design that would stand out, one that would reflect the Steelers, especially the part of when we get deep in the AFC Playoffs,” owner Art Rooney II told reporters during the ceremony.

The design was done by renowned French industrial designer Wegoteliminated Bythejaguars, who also helped construct the roof of AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys.

It was posted yesterday. That's the only thing I could find on Google. I think you got bamboozled.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:57 pm 

Jesus. The picture I saw you couldn’t make out the toilet seat. Well played by the guy who sent it to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:05 pm 

Heinz Field is a shitty stadium and if we can do something to close it off to have some semblance of noise again, I'm fine with it. Don't care how it looks. Even if it's a legit toilet seat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 pm 

They should just pump noise in via the PA system...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Heinz Field is a shitty stadium and if we can do something to close it off to have some semblance of noise again, I'm fine with it. Don't care how it looks. Even if it's a legit toilet seat.

Lmao right on man. Three rivers was way louder!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:53 pm 

TRS is almost 20 years gone now. It was a fuckin' donut with astroturf. I went to a bunch of games at both places. I can't remember TRS as loud as the '08 AFCCG at Heinz when Troy pick sixed Flacco to clinch the win.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:10 am 

Obviously wrote:
TRS is almost 20 years gone now. It was a fuckin' donut with astroturf. I went to a bunch of games at both places. I can't remember TRS as loud as the '08 AFCCG at Heinz when Troy pick sixed Flacco to clinch the win.

I didn’t say it was better, just louder.

Ofcourse, excluding that pick six by Troy you mentioned. I was at that game too and hands down the most Incredible game I've ever seen live and it’s not even close. As far as Heinz noise during that moment, Swiss can vouch it rivaled the immaculate reception noise. He was lucky enough to be in the house for both.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:48 am 

SteelKnife wrote:

x2. Being that I live in Indiana and pretty close to Cincy, I've gone to Paul Brown for every game the last 5/6 years (including the Joey Porter fiasco playoff game). Really the stadium themselves are similar built, but the noise factor is so much louder than Heinz has ever been. I think the loudest it's ever been at Heinz (in person) is when I was sitting in section 108 and A.B. had 'The Extension' on X-Mas a couple years back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:11 pm 

So Heinz is shitty just because the noise isn't loud? I would agree it was an embarrassment back 10 years ago when the field was a mess, but that's only because the dumbfucks allowed the Panthers and all the high school football to chew up the field. I think they've fixed that now, but thinking back to TRS, other than the fact it was loud and all the glory years of both the Steelers and the Pirates were made there, what else does TRS have over Heinz?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:17 pm 

I'm at the point that I would like a roof, I hate going anymore when it's cold or rain. It was fun 25 years ago, but I'm old and grumpy, I'd prefer comfort now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:04 pm 

It’s too cold out
I don’t want to get wet
I don’t want to be hot
Traffic is bad
Parking is too expensive
Beer is a rip-off at that price
The food isn’t that good
The people around me are too loud
The guy in front of me won’t sit down
It’s going to take forever to get out of stadium & home

Etc. etc etc.

In other words Nick, when you get to the point where you feel you want/need a domed stadium to enjoy the game then it’s time to just stay at home. You control your own comfort.

A roof in Pittsburgh would be all kinds of dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:32 pm 

955876 wrote:
It’s too cold out
I don’t want to get wet
I don’t want to be hot
Traffic is bad
Parking is too expensive
The food isn’t that good

Etc. etc etc.

In other words Nick, when you get to the point where you feel you want/need a domed stadium to enjoy the game then it’s time to just stay at home. You control your own comfort.

I agree, I'm fine with my current annual routine of attending one game per year, preferably before November, so the weather is hopefully decent. I enjoy going, and love the morning tailgates if the weather is dry and decent. I actually don't mind cold, but not less than 40 degrees, as long as it's dry. I know, if I went to more than one, maybe two games a year, it would become drudgery, once or twice, it's a special annual event that I look forward to.

Definitely don't want to sit out there with the combination of COLD & WET, I seriously don't get into it enough to tolerate that anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:37 pm 

955876 wrote:

But honestly, why would you oppose a retractable roof? I prefer being outside, the only thing that really bothers me is if it's WET. With a retractable roof you could close it if it's raining.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:41 pm 

Football is the only sport that is actually better to watch on TV. Basketball and hockey are way better live. Baseball is bearable live and boring on TV. Track and field, tennis, golf and any other sport seem better live as well.

I think the reason football has become the most popular sport is the way they capture it on TV. They have done a terrific job there. Now if they could get rid of Dan Fouts and some of the other announcers, it would be even better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
955876 wrote:

But honestly, why would you oppose a retractable roof? I prefer being outside, the only thing that really bothers me is if it's WET. With a retractable roof you could close it if it's raining.

As said by jewel above, Football is a best viewed on TV.

Reason to go to game IMO is the stadium experience and all that it entails. Weather being part of that.

Watching a game in a domed stadium is so sterile and just blah IMO.

Domed baseball even worse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:30 pm 

jewelsongs wrote:
Football is the only sport that is actually better to watch on TV. Basketball and hockey are way better live. Baseball is bearable live and boring on TV. Track and field, tennis, golf and any other sport seem better live as well.

I think the reason football has become the most popular sport is the way they capture it on TV. They have done a terrific job there. Now if they could get rid of Dan Fouts and some of the other announcers, it would be even better.

Yep, haven't been to a football game in years. Every time I did go I was reminded just how boring it was in person. Constant TV timeouts destroy the flow of the game. It's not as noticeable at home because I can go grab a beer out of the fridge, take a leak, whatever. But when you're sitting in the stadium and realize how much time players spend just standing around not doing anything while waiting for the network to come back from commercial, it kills the theater of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:40 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
955876 wrote:
It’s too cold out
I don’t want to get wet
I don’t want to be hot
Traffic is bad
Parking is too expensive
The food isn’t that good

Etc. etc etc.

I agree, I'm fine with my current annual routine of attending one game per year, preferably before November, so the weather is hopefully decent. I enjoy going, and love the morning tailgates if the weather is dry and decent. I actually don't mind cold, but not less than 40 degrees, as long as it's dry. I know, if I went to more than one, maybe two games a year, it would become drudgery, once or twice, it's a special annual event that I look forward to.

Definitely don't want to sit out there with the combination of COLD & WET, I seriously don't get into it enough to tolerate that anymore.

I agree with you Nick. Worst game I've ever been to was the Steelers/Bengals game in Cincy a couple years back. It was COLD & WET from the beginning of the 2nd quarter on. I'm still on the "younger" side, but I'm starting to enjoy just staying home and watching the games. Like some others were alluding to, the luxuries of being at home just outweigh actually being there anymore. I went to the Steelers/Colts games the past 2 years at Lucas Oil, the stadium itself is nice, but the atmosphere is BORING!

However, there's only a few times in your life that you really get to capture those moments and say 'I was there live to see it in-person'.... One of those moments that stick out to me is, I got to see Urlacher get ran over by the Bus at the goal line in the snow, every time that clip plays I feel like I'm telling someone around me, 'I saw that live'...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 am 

jewelsongs wrote:

Perfectly stated. The games that are best on TV suck in person and vice versa.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:48 am 

Obviously wrote:
So Heinz is shitty just because the noise isn't loud? I would agree it was an embarrassment back 10 years ago when the field was a mess, but that's only because the dumbfucks allowed the Panthers and all the high school football to chew up the field. I think they've fixed that now, but thinking back to TRS, other than the fact it was loud and all the glory years of both the Steelers and the Pirates were made there, what else does TRS have over Heinz?

If I'm building a stadium, acoustics are my #1 priority (after obvious stuff like safety and sight lines).

Leaving an end open was idiotic.

Seattle designed their open air stadium right.

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2013 ... darn-loud/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:01 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Obviously wrote:

If I'm building a stadium, acoustics are my #1 priority (after obvious stuff like safety and sight lines).

The worst part about it is that they sacrificed acoustics with the open end...but the open end isn't really even very scenic. If it was a true open end that had a view like PNC Park with the full skyline behind it, I might be OK with a stadium that isn't as loud. But they left it open and facing not much of anything (you see what, the river, the boring part of Mount Washington, maybe some of Point Park if you're sitting up high and at the perfect angle?), then threw a scoreboard in the middle of what little view you actually had to boot.

Then they added the section of seats below the scoreboard. I don't know why they don't just fill the rest of it in, now. They're halfway there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:03 pm 

955876 wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
955876 wrote:

As said by jewel above, Football is a best viewed on TV.

Reason to go to game IMO is the stadium experience and all that it entails. Weather being part of that.

Watching a game in a domed stadium is so sterile and just blah IMO.

Domed baseball even worse.

I agree for the most part, RAIN is my one pet peeve, hate being in the rain unless it's 80 degrees. If it's dry and 20 degrees, I don't mind. but rain and 35 degrees that sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:09 pm 

When it comes down to it, my one or two games per year is mostly for the social aspect. I usually go to a Steelers game and a Pitt game, and maybe one more of either depending on the circumstances. And really, it's for the tailgate party and the friends that I see not so often anymore, it's so true, if it's just about watching a game alone, it's way better on TV. When you go in person, it's more about having a party. At least that's how I see it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 pm 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:
Obviously wrote:

The worst part about it is that they sacrificed acoustics with the open end...but the open end isn't really even very scenic. If it was a true open end that had a view like PNC Park with the full skyline behind it, I might be OK with a stadium that isn't as loud. But they left it open and facing not much of anything (you see what, the river, the boring part of Mount Washington, maybe some of Point Park if you're sitting up high and at the perfect angle?), then threw a scoreboard in the middle of what little view you actually had to boot.

Then they added the section of seats below the scoreboard. I don't know why they don't just fill the rest of it in, now. They're halfway there.

I always thought the open end should be pointed at downtown.