It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Injury bug biting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:44 am 

Ice wrote:
I agree with the conditioning and talking up injury portions of the post. I just thought it was mostly Bungles, Raisins and Clowns fans still hung up on the 10 year old Allegedville thing.

They're worse than others, but it's not at all limited to those fan bases.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:24 am 

I’ve been teaching here in the Atlanta suburbs since 2002
Every year I decorate my classroom with posters, framed pictures, and my giant Troy p fathead
Without fail every year since allegedville a parent or even teacher tells me it’s inappropriate to have a poster of Ben on my wall because they know someone who was there that night and knows he did it
Uh huh.
The poster still hangs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:37 am 

Steelers haters look for a target. Ben became one. That's not going to change.

I know a woman Ravens fan I see occasionally at my buddy's coffee shop. Was talking a little football with her and her husband. Ben's name came up.

Her: "He is one of my least favorite people"

My reply: "He is one of my favorite people"

Most people have moved on, but some never will.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:09 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
Every year I decorate my classroom with posters, framed pictures, and my giant Troy p fathead
Without fail every year since allegedville a parent or even teacher tells me it’s inappropriate to have a poster of Ben on my wall because they know someone who was there that night and knows he did it
Uh huh.
The poster still hangs

Tell them you have it up as a reminder that the American Justice system works to protect the rights of the accused.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:45 pm 

well played, BtB: dats funny right dere...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 pm 

SteelDrama wrote:
Uh huh.
The poster still hangs

Good on you sir! Keep up the good work!

bradshaw2ben wrote:
SteelDrama wrote:
Uh huh.
The poster still hangs

Tell them you have it up as a reminder that the American Justice system works to protect the rights of the accused.

^^^^Excellent idea!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:14 pm 

Havoc wrote:
TB wrote:
And nothing I said was inaccurate.

Noone else said it. You did. Not only that, it's how you said it. Could have been put in a different way but you chose your words.

1. Ben has kids.
2. Ben has kids.
3. Ben has kids.
4. You are a Steelers fan.

You should let it go.

Maybe I missed something but I don’t see what Ben having kids has to do with the perception of Ben as an injury drama queen and not being much liked outside of the Steelers fan base.

Seems like he answered B2Bs question.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:42 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Maybe I missed something but I don’t see what Ben having kids has to do with the perception of Ben as an injury drama queen and not being much liked outside of the Steelers fan baseT

Seems like he answered B2Bs question.

Nothing you wrote is specifically what I was referring to, Lit.

Last edited by Havoc on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Yeah, all this talk about how Ben needs to be in better shape like Tom Brady poses a question to me.

How would Tom Brady have fared if Haloti Ngata came up the middle and broke his nose? Would Tom Terrific and his supreme physical condition have prevented that? Would Tom have been able to shrug it off and finish the game? I think he would have been a pussy and sat the remainder of the game.

Ngata breaking Ben's nose, Richard Seymour sucker punching Ben, Mark Baron supposedly out of control and 'cobra kai style' sweeps below the knee anyway, Burfect has Ben down but then lifts his body up and drills his knee into Ben's shoulder,how is any of that prevented by being in better physical condition? Those are 4 instances and it would not be hard to come up with a dozen cases of the dirty play that Ben receives that Tom Brady and Drew Brees and Peyton Manning do not because they don't play the same type of game.

Ben takes a beating and the refs allow it. Ben should be bitching all game like Brady and Manning did - but that is not Ben's game. Both Brady and Manning wouldn't have played half the games Ben did with the injuries he has had. They would have been up in the owner's box enjoying themselves. Hell, if Brady took the hit from Ngata, that game would have been stopped for 15 minutes and the refs would have scrubbed the tape, saw the hit, and awarded the Patriots 15 yards. Ben just gets up and runs to the sideline.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:59 pm 

You speak in riddles....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm 

While the Pittsburgh Steelers were able to get a few ailing players back on Wednesday such as wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and outside linebacker Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, a few others either failed to work or left the session early, according to head coach Mike Tomlin.

“We had a couple of guys with minor injuries that are being evaluated,” Tomlin said at the conclusion of Wednesday’s training camp practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. “They all could be probably characterized as day-to-day: Antonio Brown (undisclosed), [Alejandro] Villanueva (undisclosed), [James] Washington (undisclosed).

Wide receiver Antonio Brown didn’t even attempt to practice on Wednesday and it’s unclear as to what his ailment is. As for tackle Alejandro Villanueva and rookie wide receiver James Washington, the former might have a minor bicep injury while the latter appeared to have suffered an injured foot during Wednesday’s session. Both started the day but failed to finish.

Tomlin did not mention tight end Ryan Malleck (undisclosed) after practice. He left the field on Wednesday with an undisclosed injury. The head coach did say, however, that a few previously injured players are slowly beginning to work themselves back.
“We had a number of guys that missed Monday that was able to work in a partial capacity today working their way back with minor day-to day-things: Morgan Burnett, Artie Burns, Sean Davis all worked in the partial capacity,” Tomlin said.

Morgan Burnett has been dealing with a hamstring injury while Artie Burns and Sean Davis both might be nursing groin strains.
Outside linebacker T.J. Watt (hamstring), tight end Vance McDonald (foot) and guard Ramon Foster (knee) all failed to practice on Wednesday. Foster will be sidelined for the next four to five weeks and Tomlin did not offer an update on McDonald or Watt following Wednesday’s practice.
Wide receiver Eli Rogers, who remains on the team’s Active PUP list, was doing some running on the side Wednesday. There’s no time table yet for when he’ll start practicing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:58 am 

Probably should just start listing who actually practiced, it would be easier :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:25 am 

Didn't see this reported till this morning. DB Trey Johnson IR'd for shoulder last week. https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/footb ... rts-to-ir/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:49 am 

Minor day to day injuries are fine, they happen. What this team and any other can't withstand for long is long-term injuries to big players. For example, the Charger losing their best CB: Verrett. Chargers D looked really nice heading into this season but loss of JV is going to really hurt, maybe at a Steeler's D sans Shazier level.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:57 am 

AB's injury sounds more like "vet day off".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:31 pm 

McDonald is still out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 pm 

AB's injury is more than a vet day off...they sent him back to Pittsburgh for evaluation and coach is mum on the details.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:48 pm 

Quote:
@Alex_Kozora
CB Trey Johnson underwent shoulder surgery, will stay on team's IR all season. #Steelers https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora/statuse ... 2715077632
Quote:
@Steelersdepot
A league source tells PFT that Brown strained a quadriceps muscle and is getting it checked out #Steelers https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/statu ... 9584428032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:18 pm 

Reported Brown out for only a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:11 pm 

Dupree in concussion protocol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:49 pm 

Havoc wrote:

Had his best week of practice ever this week, from what I heard. Hopefully not a serious ding.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:29 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Havoc wrote:

Had his best week of practice ever this week, from what I heard. Hopefully not a serious ding.

He was feasting on a rookie so perhaps he has gotten better or rookie OT has a ton of work to do. Players that keep sticking out in camp notes etc: Sayles, Thomas & Paterson. I'm really curious to get a good look at them in the first game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:45 pm 

Rookie's progress from what I can discern from several different camp report sources:

Edmunds was stacking good practices together but I didn't read anything about him from last night. I think he shared reps with Davis.

Washington after a quiet start to camp is getting better each practice. Keep reading reports about him making more and more plays.

Okafor: has had a rough camp. Dupree especially has been tooling him according to reports.

Rudolph: up and down. Tough to evaluate how he is doing until we see him in a pre-season game. Though he sounds like he way beyond Jones & Dobbs as rookies, not that, that is a major achievement.

Allen: reports say he loves to hit but other than an occasional note saying he struggles in Db v WR drills not much...

Samuels: had his best practice last night and improved in backs on backers. Good signs.

Thomas (UDFA): has been getting rave reviews, albeit he is facing 3rd stringers mostly but in backs on backers, 11 v 11 he keeps showing up. Early but wouldn't it be nice if Steelers got a huge gift here? Thomas has 1st round measurables if those translate onto the field ...D would get a major boost from well nowhere.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:55 pm 

steelclan wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Havoc wrote:

He was feasting on a rookie so perhaps he has gotten better or rookie OT has a ton of work to do. Players that keep sticking out in camp notes etc: Sayles, Thomas & Paterson. I'm really curious to get a good look at them in the first game.

It wasn't just that. He was killing some TE/RB... and IIRC, Finney

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:56 pm 

Have read about Allen having taken a big step forward overall. He's making deep throws difficult because of his length, and popping guys in run support.