It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Injury bug biting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:03 pm 

McDonald caught passes in six games in the regular season last year, 14 catches for 188 yards and 1 TD. I've never heard him talk. Seriously. I don't know what his voice sounds like.

Juju caught passes in 13 games last year as a rookie, 58 catches for 917 yards and 7 TDs. And one game he missed was due to destroying the biggest POS in the league. He has an infectious personality and was the youngest player in the NFL last year.

Pretty clear to see why McDonald gets far more shit for being dinged up and Juju gets a pass by the fans.

Last edited by TB on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:04 pm 

TB wrote:
McDonald caught passes in six games in the regular season last year, 14 catches for 188 yards and 1 TD. I've never heard him talk. Seriously. I don't know what his voice sounds like.

Juju caught passes in 13 games last year as a rookie, 58 catches for 917 yards and 7 TDs. And one game he missed was due to destroying the biggest POS in the league. He has an infectious personality and was the youngest player in the NFL last year.

Pretty clear to see why McDonald gets far more shit for being dinged up.

Now explain the shit Ben gets for being banged up over the years.

The point is that some guys are favorites and can do no wrong, and others are criticized, often unfairly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:26 pm 

Ben gets "shit" for being hurt because he's a twice accused rapist who has talked up his injuries in the media in the past and been criticized by the media for not being in the best shape he could've been years ago.

He's never going to get the benefit of the doubt because he's not well liked nationally. Fair or not. And it's just a hell of a lot bigger deal when a QB misses a game compared to a WR or TE.

I like Vance McDonald. If healthy, he's a HUGE weapon for this team. But the guy caught 14 passes last year. He caught fewer passes than Eli Rogers. If he managed to have the year that Juju put together last year and was dealing with the injury bug he'd get FAR more leeway than what he is getting now. That's life in professional sports.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:21 am 

I feel that players like JuJu and McDonald will always miss some time and be dealing with some minor nagging injuries due to the manner in which they play the game.

What you say? What does that mean? Last season JuJu was the BEST blocking WR that we had and McDonald was the BEST blocking TE that we had. Neither player was timid in blocking, both can get downright nasty in blocking. When you play with that type of physicality, when you throw yourself into it, when you commit to blocking with reckless abandon, to doing that dirty work, it can take a toll on your body.

I was really surprised at how good/great McDonald was as a blocker. I thought he would be a Jesse James type that is more of a just get in your way type, play patty cake type, but Vance was not that at all. He was the antithesis of James as a blocker, just impactful, nasty at times, it was a real eye opener for me. I knew that he could be a weapon in the passing game but to be able to also be a weapon in terms of blocking for the running game? Wow, not many combo TEs like that who can do both at a high level.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:14 am 

TB wrote:
Ben gets "shit" for being hurt because he's a twice accused rapist who has talked up his injuries in the media in the past and been criticized by the media for not being in the best shape he could've been years ago.

I've been told that rape accusations can cause ACL, MCL and PCL tears, but until this post, I didn't believe it. I guess that whole "sticks and stones" thing isn't true after all. Thanks, TB.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:29 am 

Ben has a reputation for talking up his injuries, fair or not. That's why when he's dinged up there will always be a segment that questions how serious it is/if he's playing it up so he can get credit for being tough and playing through injury. And nothing I said was inaccurate. If you polled the general NFL fanbase I don't have any doubt that Roethlisberger would be one of the least liked NFL players. It's just how it is. Why we're talking about Roethlisberger in this topic I don't know.

Short and simple: Juju has produced, McDonald hasn't. That's why Juju is getting more of a pass than McDonald. End of story.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:37 am 

I agree with the conditioning and talking up injury portions of the post. I just thought it was mostly Bungles, Raisins and Clowns fans still hung up on the 10 year old Allegedville thing.

Incidentally, we agree on Juju and McDonald, as well. Honestly, you can count me as not having my hopes up for production out of McDonald this year at all. I think putting AB and Washington outside and letting Juju and Bell have their way with lesser DBs is the more consistent approach with the current personnel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:47 am 

TB wrote:
And nothing I said was inaccurate.

Noone else said it. You did. Not only that, it's how you said it. Could have been put in a different way but you chose your words.

1. Ben has kids.
2. Ben has kids.
3. Ben has kids.
4. You are a Steelers fan.

You should let it go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:23 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I feel that players like JuJu and McDonald will always miss some time and be dealing with some minor nagging injuries due to the manner in which they play the game.

EXACTLY. Same with 7.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 am 

Yeah, all this talk about how Ben needs to be in better shape like Tom Brady poses a question to me.

How would Tom Brady have fared if Haloti Ngata came up the middle and broke his nose? Would Tom Terrific and his supreme physical condition have prevented that? Would Tom have been able to shrug it off and finish the game? I think he would have been a pussy and sat the remainder of the game.

Ngata breaking Ben's nose, Richard Seymour sucker punching Ben, Mark Baron supposedly out of control and 'cobra kai style' sweeps below the knee anyway, Burfect has Ben down but then lifts his body up and drills his knee into Ben's shoulder,how is any of that prevented by being in better physical condition? Those are 4 instances and it would not be hard to come up with a dozen cases of the dirty play that Ben receives that Tom Brady and Drew Brees and Peyton Manning do not because they don't play the same type of game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next