It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Injury bug biting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:43 am 

Via Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, a total of five players left practice Sunday for medical reasons.

That group included outside linebacker T.J. Watt (hamstring), tight end Vance McDonald (foot), safety Sean Davis (groin), wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster (undisclosed), and undrafted rookie outside linebacker Olasunkanmi Adeniyi (undisclosed).

“Don’t know the severity of any of these; such is life this time of year,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. “We will have more information on those guys when we get it.”
That’s not even the extent of it. Veteran guard Ramon Foster is going to be out a month or more with a knee injury, and safety Morgan Burnett has been out three straight days with a groin injury.

Post subject: Re: Injury bug biting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:44 am 

The one thing that I've noticed over the years is how it seems that the quoted minor injuries always seems to derail the team. These guys never seem to recover fully and will play the entire season @ around 75-85% while saying they're 100% (we know that to be a lie). The injuries that always concern me the most are the hamstring and groin injuries which keeps them from being that explosive type of player.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:25 pm 

I'm shocked Vance McDonald is injured.

:D

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:44 pm 

KC wrote:
I'm shocked Vance McDonald is injured.

:D

People here have high hopes for him. I just hope he's able to suit up for 10 games

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:00 pm 

To me this is just par for the course, not just for the Steelers but for every team in the NFL. Yeah, these guys work out in the offseason, but going to training camp and working out every day is a whole different level.

Even Leveon Bell who keeps himself in great shape needs time to get into 'football shape' as you could see him start slow last season. As long as our guys have these minor boo-boos, I am fine with it. I mean we are not talking about injuries like say TE Hunter Henry being out for the year, or CB Jason Verrett being out for the year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:09 pm 

Yeah, just stay away from season ending injuries. Injuries are part of the game and it will be next man up at times during the season.

Don't want to see young players get injured this time of year though slowing their progress or preventing them from showing they can play (or not).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:31 pm 

Scunge wrote:
To me this is just par for the course, not just for the Steelers but for every team in the NFL. Yeah, these guys work out in the offseason, but going to training camp and working out every day is a whole different level.

Even Leveon Bell who keeps himself in great shape needs time to get into 'football shape' as you could see him start slow last season. As long as our guys have these minor boo-boos, I am fine with it. I mean we are not talking about injuries like say TE Hunter Henry being out for the year, or CB Jason Verrett being out for the year.

This is where I’m at too, after all Sunday was the first day with full pads. There is probably some adjustment getting back to 11 on 11 football.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:05 pm 

Quote:
The latest Steelers starter to leave practice early was third-year cornerback Artie Burns, who had his left leg/groin area wrapped Monday following the team’s first 11-on-11 session at Saint Vincent.

Coach Mike Tomlin said the injury wasn’t serious.

“Nothing significant there,” he said. “One of those day-to-day type of things.”

Four other starters did not practice Monday after sustaining injuries one day earlier. Those missing were safety Sean Davis (groin), outside linebacker T.J. Watt (hamstring), tight end Vance McDonald (foot) and wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster (undisclosed). Rookie linebacker Ola Adeniyi (undisclosed) also did not practice. Tomlin also confirmed guard Ramon Foster’s diagnosis as a hyperextension and bone bruise on his right knee and provided a four-week timetable for his return.https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/13 ... ith-injury
Wow....

check it...
https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/statu ... 7201559552

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:13 pm 

let them happen at camp instead of the season and hope we dont lose any core guys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:19 pm 

I like how everyone is ready to dump McDonald for being hurt, yet it's no big deal that JuJu has had a constant stream of injuries in his first year+.